• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Change is hard.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the last year I've been trying to change the design on two of my 18x18 houses. But before I started I took screenshots of the old designs. I've now tried and committed several designs on both the houses. One of them is close, the other one I just can't get a design that works. I find myself looking back at the old screenshots and thinking there was really no reason for a change and now I'm on the verge of going back to what worked. I just have a certain style, and no matter how hard I try to push myself to do something different I keep going back to "my style"

Anyone else find themselves going back to old designs?

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All my houses have just about the same feel, you can tell it's mine. The same things going on with me and my plot. Right now all my stuff's in the moving crate and it's just a dirt square. I tend to love the same roof-style and wall types. It's frustrating, lol. Going on like a week and a half now, back and forth. I committed a few and halfway decorated, but they're just not up to par for me.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I try not to compare decorated houses with a raw design it is not fair to do so most of the time only after I start to decorate I see how i want the house so i change the style again

LadyElizabeth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It helps me when I start gravitating towards schemes I've done in the past to google designs and look for a new house/roof tile scheme that I haven't done before. After I have the general scheme down I close the window with the image so I'm not tempted to copy the actual house design - I want my creativity to work its way through!
I will take literally hours to design a house. The first floor is the hardest because that's where I'm really deciding whether I like the scheme or not. Another thing is I try to remember what I have to decorate with and make rooms to accommodate for it. When I don't do that, I tend to get empty rooms/spaces or a hodgepodge of things that don't work the way I want it to.
For some people, that signature style is what they like. If you find you can't design anything else that satisfies you, there's nothing wrong with going back to the old tried and true :) If you're adamant about trying a new style, I would say force yourself to commit it even if it doesn't seem 'right' and try decorating it. If you don't start feeling it after you've been decorating for a bit, you'll know it wasn't right. Like Herman said, it may just be hard to think of it as a completed house without the decorations in it.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another thing that helps me is that when I'm customizing, I try and think of decorations to put in the area I'm building..

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another thing that helps me is that when I'm customizing, I try and think of decorations to put in the area I'm building..
Yeah, that's the problem. I had certain rooms in mind and my current design looks good, but I completely lost things I wanted to keep like my stables. That's what I meant by this being hard. I mean, I don't really need stables, but I have all the nice decorations for it, so it's hard to let that go.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me tooooooo. I'm on lockdown limit and so many great things to use, but what do I really NEED to use?! I'm so with you, trust me! I finally hit commit and got started. I'm not completely convinced yet though.