• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

15th anniv items are here

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
! I really thought there were going to be 16 different items but turns out one hour glass with diff number of years :mad:

Last edited:

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
16 unique historical items, hint: dbl click them when you pick one

What does it mean when you pick one. you can't pick anything :confused2:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
16 unique historical items, hint: dbl click them when you pick one,

EITHER THEY WROTE IT WRONG OR SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
16 unique historical items, hint: dbl click them when you pick one,

EITHER THEY WROTE IT WRONG OR SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING
I'm hoping something is not working. Don't get me wrong I Love the gifts. The cake is awesome. But I was really looking forward to 16 unique items. If they just wrote it wrong that's fine they don't have to give us anything but I am a little sad at the moment just because I thought it was different items not the same item with different years:sad4:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm hoping something is not working. Don't get me wrong I Love the gifts. The cake is awesome. But I was really looking forward to 16 unique items. If they just wrote it wrong that's fine they don't have to give us anything but I am a little sad at the moment just because I thought it was different items not the same item with different years:sad4:
Something has to be broke BC it was so secretive and this is our 15th year! My father said 15 years of loyalty will get you a piece of cake and a coffee. He was half right!

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*grumbles about the fact they used the ludicrous 73-day-a-month calendar someone pulled out of their ass because the 12:1 Britannian time moved to "fast"*:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All the harpsichord music rolls are identical as well... the Anvil Strike in Minoc

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ummm... having an issue with my second account. Bags are saying 8 items, but no cake and no harpsi scroll. Anyone else?

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So disappointed i'm not even logging in to get items. Maybe on the 20th anniversary it will be special!!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Aye that is kind of disappointing
All the other scrolls are fairly easy to get though. There are 15 different ones (according to those that go through the files) and they drop in your pack when you kill critters in Ter Mur, The Abyss and The Underworld. Took 4 hours or so to get all 15, not a HUGE pain in the arse grind, but gotta work a little for them.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the other scrolls are fairly easy to get though. There are 15 different ones (according to those that go through the files) and they drop in your pack when you kill critters in Ter Mur, The Abyss and The Underworld. Took 4 hours or so to get all 15, not a HUGE pain in the arse grind, but gotta work a little for them.
Well that is true but it is kind of a waste to put them in the anniversary bag then. Ohh I wonder if they have a clean up value!!! *grins*

Nay no value :(

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I can see that point of view. Maybe they were thinking if folks don't hear/read about the scrolls then having one in the bag will get them to inquire about others. *shrugs*

W

Woodsman

So disappointed i'm not even logging in to get items. Maybe on the 20th anniversary it will be special!!
If you're account is active, at least login, get the message you see below, and then immediately logout

15th-anniversary-deposited.jpg
(stolen from Ultima Codex)

Even if you don't like the gifts, somebody will want the harpsichord and somebody will want the heritage token for the ladder or one of the dozens of other things it can be used for. Heritage token prices are probably plummeting as we speak, but give it 6 months or a year and they'll be back up over 300,000 gp. Less than 5 minutes of work logging in all of your chars, getting the message, and logging out and there's a few million right there. Easy gold.

And if you ever think you want to start over on another shard, definitely login and get the gifts, because those can be sold to other players for the gold for a house. You shouldn't think twice about this. I get every single gift I can get on all of my characters on all of the shards just in case I ever want to change shards and not pay for shard transfer tokens. I could actually buy some transfer tokens on other shards if I sold off a bunch of my rares on those shards. Wait, that does me no good on my current shard. But anyways I have millions on every shard because I've done this over the years. I just need to get around to converting them to gold.

Oh lord, what if they made it so that your gold was account bound. If I converted all of my gifts on the shards I don't play to gold and then that was added to my account, I'd have I don't know how many 10s of millions, maybe 100 million+.

I vote that currency conversion is the first thing on Mesanna's wishlist to be completed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
reminds me of the build up of xmas when i was a kid then to find out on christmas eve there is no SANTA!

W

Woodsman

reminds me of the build up of xmas when i was a kid then to find out on christmas eve there is no SANTA!
I'm sure they will announce something at the birthday celebration in Virginia. They are not going to reveal everything now, because if this was all there was, it wouldn't look good. Wasn't High Seas announced at a gathering with the UO team?

Phineas

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We just noticed that if you place the harpsicord and then redeed it the deed is no longer blessed. Careful where you are carrying them.
I hope they can hot fix that without a revert. We have a complete set.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I don't like the cake art but the rest of the bag is awesome thank you.
I wonder if there will be new vet rewards?
I didn't get any special color that I saw. Too tired to check other shards right now.
I do love that you can actually sit at these harpsicord/pianos. My gargoyle looks like a young Beethoven.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't like the cake art

Really? Getting one of those with TheGrimmOmen tag line on my home shard was about the best thing I pulled. He seemed fond of it *hangs head* before they booted him inna arse that is.... :(

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is 16 different types of sands of sosaria, each having a unique hue, containing a brief history of the respective year from 1997 to 2012.

For the Britannian date, we can see in the game that five seconds is a minute in Britannia, which makes the time 12 times faster. The first four items on UO Stratics - Time are according to that fact:

• Time in Britannia passes quickly compared to our Earth time.
  • In 2 Earth hours an entire Britannian day will have passed.
  • Twelve Britannian days makes one Earth day.
  • Just as on Earth, a Britannian year has twelve months.
However, as far as I can understand, at one point, someone calculated "One Earth year equals five Britannian years" according to some type of a source which I have no idea of today. In order to adapt the date to this new information while maintaining the fact that the time passes 12 times faster, they had to make a Britannian year 12/5 times longer. Thus, a Britannia year became 365 * 12 / 5 = 876 days and a Britannia month became 876 / 12 = 73 days. This is where that magic number, "73", comes from on the last four items of the same page:

• Each Britannian month, however, consists of 73 days.
  • This makes a Britannian year last 876 Britannian days, which is 73 Earth days.
  • One Earth year equals five Britannian years.
  • The release date of Ultima Online was in the Britannian year 289.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not a big collector and don't usually bother, but I'd really like an EM Aurora cake on Siege if anyone has one and is willing to swap.

TheChocolits

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The anniversary gifts were cool but I was hoping it would come in a 'gift box' of some sort, just a bit disappointed it wasn't, coz to me the gift boxes makes the occasion feel special (Yes I'm obsessed with gift wrappers :p).. But Happy 15th Anniversary UO! :)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Really? Getting one of those with TheGrimmOmen tag line on my home shard was about the best thing I pulled. He seemed fond of it *hangs head* before they booted him inna arse that is.... :(
Yea, I've never been a fan of any of the cake art in UO. (Doesn't mean I love Grimm or his talent any less) I think if they'd been colored differently they may have been prettier. Like, just make them all white or something. The way they come across now is like they belong to Mrs. Havasham from Great Expectations.
Remember the 6th birthday colors? lol

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is 16 different types of sands of sosaria, each having a unique hue, containing a brief history of the respective year from 1997 to 2012.

For the Britannian date, we can see in the game that five seconds is a minute in Britannia, which makes the time 12 times faster. The first four items on UO Stratics - Time are according to that fact:

However, as far as I can understand, at one point, someone calculated "One Earth year equals five Britannian years" according to some type of a source which I have no idea of today. In order to adapt the date to this new information while maintaining the fact that the time passes 12 times faster, they had to make a Britannian year 12/5 times longer. Thus, a Britannia year became 365 * 12 / 5 = 876 days and a Britannia month became 876 / 12 = 73 days. This is where that magic number, "73", comes from on the last four items of the same page:
Trying to nail down the Britannian Date for these items was no easy task. After consulting various sources, pouring over past BNN articles, and trying to find some level of consistency amongst it all I really needed a huge Advil. In any case, the dates represented were the closest to any consistency that made sense for what had been done in the past. Glad everyone is enjoying the presents!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Next time Kyronix ask a few of the "hard cores" like Martyna and you'll get it nailed. We could also direct you to some really good sites that keep some fairly good track of things.

And it is indeed 12:1 so one month in RL is equal to 1 year Britannian times. Or so I've always been taught.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, I've never been a fan of any of the cake art in UO. (Doesn't mean I love Grimm or his talent any less) I think if they'd been colored differently they may have been prettier. Like, just make them all white or something. The way they come across now is like they belong to Mrs. Havasham from Great Expectations.
Remember the 6th birthday colors? lol
I like some of the colors. I have a really pretty blue one. I thought there would be a white one tho with the spoiler picture someone posted awhile back.

Warsong of LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what are all the colors for the harpsichords? Wish they would remember to label the deeds with the color for us color-blind people! Which are the rare colors if any?

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trying to nail down the Britannian Date for these items was no easy task. After consulting various sources, pouring over past BNN articles, and trying to find some level of consistency amongst it all I really needed a huge Advil. In any case, the dates represented were the closest to any consistency that made sense for what had been done in the past. Glad everyone is enjoying the presents!
I think wilki tried to tackle the same problem too, and unfortunately advil doesn't work on everyone.

So what are all the colors for the harpsichords? Wish they would remember to label the deeds with the color for us color-blind people! Which are the rare colors if any?
Martyna told me that europa gold is the rare one, and I only got one europa gold out of more than 70 characters so I think she's right. However, while the deed of the europa gold harpsichord looks great, I'd prefer the darker one over it.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I don't think there's a level of rareness for any other than the Europa gold.
I've gottem more white than the pink you have at the other end haha, and I have gotten very few of the brownish one you have in the middle.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think there's a level of rareness for any other than the Europa gold.
I've gottem more white than the pink you have at the other end haha, and I have gotten very few of the brownish one you have in the middle.
I've got very few of the pink on the end too. I didn't get very many of the grey either. I got quite a few white tho

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sosarian time has 12:1 time differential when compared to Earth. For every 1 Earth day, 12 Sosarian days pass. 1 Earth month (assuming 30 days) is 360 Sosarian days. Since Sosaria has climates analogous to Earth, the planet should orbit its star at a somewhat similar distance...assuming the Sosarian star is a G-type like Sol. If Sosaria were at the distance of say, Mars, then a year would be considerably longer (Martian year is 687 Earth days)...and Sosaria would probably be a tad too far on the cool side. If you really wanted to confuse things, you could make orbital speed a factor... Earth travels around Sol at 30km/s, whereas Mars travels at a slightly more leisurely 24km/s. So, Sosaria could have a lower orbital velocity than Earth while maintaining a similar distance.

But since we know so little about the Sosarian star system, other than that there are eight other planets and a single star, delving into orbital speeds is...well...geeky in the extreme. :D One thing we know, from the cannon Ultimas, is that the Sosarian year is actually 336 days long...

Ultima fiction has stated that people from Earth age much, much slower than native Sosarians due to the fact that times passes more slowly on Earth. Gameplay-wise, we know that time moves quicker in Sosaria so that a player may experience the day/night cycles no matter what time of day they happen to play.

So, UO and the in-game date...

The TWO times specific Britannian years have been mentioned are: The 300th anniversary of Mondain's defeat (which happened in the 24th year of LB's reign according to Ultima cannon), and the Destruction of Haven.

Everyone appears to forget that UO started at the dawn of Britannia's 4th Century, the year 300. (Where Stratics got the year 289 as the start is anyone's guess, but it doesn't fit with any version of the timeline.) The 300th anniversary of Mondain's defeat was BY 324, happening on UO's 2nd Anniversary (September, 1999) - a perfect 12:1 ratio BY THE ORIGINAL DESIGNERS OF THE GAME.

Around the time of the release of Renaissance, someone decided that the passage of time in Britannia was too fast for their liking - apparently they felt silly saying "years" instead of "months." They lengthened the timescale to 12:5 and thus the birth of the 73 day month/876 day year nonsense.

We don't see another in-game date appear until May of 2007, that being in the article about the Destruction of Haven. The destruction is placed in BY 361, only 19 years after the correctly timed 300th Anniversary. It should have been BY 416, 92 years after the 300th Anniversary (7 years and 8 months x 12).

The 15th anniversary of UO takes place in BY 480, according to the ratio coded into UO 15 years ago. 12:1 is the correct ratio.

Last edited:

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The harpsichords are an - although good looking - gift, which I do not like a lot due to two reasons:
They are only good for house owners. Since we cannot have a house on more than one shard since long time any more, what sense do they make for the homeless characters on the account?
They have strange place requirements: You cannot place them directly at a wall. So they do not fit in narrow or small houses at all. I tried in a Small tower, didn't work.
I tried in a log cabin - didn't work in the empty upper floor room. (Maybe there is a way, but why are the devs so unrealistic to expect people moving much stuff to free up place?) And this is only for one of those.

Sands of Sosaria show, how an item can live with low space requirements and is even usable without locking it down or needing a house. But from the original description I would have expected here also more art - for each year one different item (i.e. scroll, book, picture, ...) would have been cool.

Wish you all a nice 15th annversary and lets look toward the 20th!

*Salute*
Olahorand

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The harpsichords are an - although good looking - gift, which I do not like a lot due to two reasons:
They are only good for house owners. Since we cannot have a house on more than one shard since long time any more, what sense do they make for the homeless characters on the account?
They have strange place requirements: You cannot place them directly at a wall. So they do not fit in narrow or small houses at all. I tried in a Small tower, didn't work.
I tried in a log cabin - didn't work in the empty upper floor room. (Maybe there is a way, but why are the devs so unrealistic to expect people moving much stuff to free up place?) And this is only for one of those.
The harpsichords are 4 tiles long by 2 tiles wide, the 4th tile at the "back" of the instrument is empty and impassible.

A southern facing harpsihord's tile usage looks like this (where * represents an impassible tile):

IMHO, they take up too much room. A 3x2 footprint would be better, though still possibly too large for many current home decor designs.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually really liked the Harpsichord... but then, I own a castle now, so I have the room to place it and design around it. However I do also have to admit the criticisms above are valid. It's too large, and the wall placement is highly frustrating. I'll add my own issue with it too; it has no Security settings so only the owner I think can actually play it? The joy then of just sitting down at a stranger's Harpsichord and discovering the wonderful baroque music is going to be lost. Also despite the first gear coming separately, there was in the end no way, as was suggested or at least hoped there might be, to remove a Roll once it was inserted.

Don't get me wrong, I've spent a day vastly improving the decoration in my still new, still bare castle with all the lovely Heritage Tokens, and the Sands were delightful... One more and I'll have a full set, which provides a potted history of the last 15 years to go into my Lore Library for all on Europa. And the Harpsichord is a lovely "Big Ticket" item, but as mentioned, you really only need just the one; instead we've been buried under an impracticable pile of oversized overcompensation; at best you can make up a set of deeds, and then they'll otherwise be forgotten. As they all came with the same basic Roll (Anvil In Minoc) it's hard to see what trading value they'll have later. Are they worth hand in points? I know the Anniversary bag isn't, nor are single rolls, so without logging back in to check for the harp, I'll expect they aren't. So you notice the flaws of the harpsichord more easily because it's HUGE, it's everywhere, and IT'S not all that practical. So it feels understandably then a bit of a white elephant.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got the Harpsichords, Muffins and Hourglasses - but NO CAKES ! Are you guys getting them in the same 15th Anniv bag as the other stuff?

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'll add my own issue with it too; it has no Security settings so only the owner I think can actually play it? The joy then of just sitting down at a stranger's Harpsichord and discovering the wonderful baroque music is going to be lost.
I listened to one at a friend´s house.

Dunno about public houses though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Got the Harpsichords, Muffins and Hourglasses - but NO CAKES ! Are you guys getting them in the same 15th Anniv bag as the other stuff?
This is likely because you haven't done the patch we got on 5/30. Someone else had this problem too and they using the 2d client ran the patcher ..... it's in your UO folder. Try running that.... I'll wager you probably still can't see the new stuff in Despise and keep running into invisible objects there as well.

Hope that helps.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards

I had that problem on my second account. Once I logged all the chars on and saw no cakes, I closed both clients out. Restarted UO and logged back into that account, cakes were visible then.

Warsong of LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks for linking the picture, but I am guessing that the europa gold is the first one on the left in the picture? If it is then too my eyes it is the same color as the third one from the left. Thats why I asked for things to be labelled like they finally did with the granite. I do not mind trading or selling my extra but I would like to get fair market value and not ripped off because of my bad eyes.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So i read this thread and thought, oh good we finally got the items......Opened account on Rtb..........nope no items. logged in and out several times.
Has it really happened that you only get the anni items if your using a paid subscription??? i thought this was just a nasty rumour but?????

W

Woodsman

Looks to be true.

There are a very small number of people who have a nasty attitude of "**** you if you aren't a paying subscriber, you should get nothing for the anniversary", but my view is that if it weren't for all of those previous players, UO would not have made it this long. They are called "Anniversary Gifts" for a reason.

The people who are paying right now are certainly not the reason UO made it to 15 years, even if they are the reason it's still limping along. It's the people who helped UO hit 100,000 and later 200,000 and 250,000 subs in its early years that gave it the legs to last this long. If back in 1998 or 2003 or 2007, UO had the numbers it had today, then it would not have made it past 10 years. They would have closed it and focused on Ultima Online 2 or Ultima Odyssey.

Maybe some people have the attitude that these are somehow rare items. They are not. Rare items are not something that is given to every single character on every single shard that is over 30 days old and is attached to a paying account and logs in sometime between September 1 and September 30. In fact, it is the very opposite of a rare!

If they want to skip giving them the heritage token and harpsichord, fine. But give the RTBers cake and muffins and the hourglass celebrating the history that many of them are a part of. The biggest issues with RTB accounts, house ownership, has already been removed.