• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Publish 78.0 Comes to TC1

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
despise seems like itll be a great new player hangout, get up to 60s/70s in skills around haven and graveyards then head to despise to fight along side a free levelable pet while you earn points to buy higher end gear. Sounds good to me

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, I don't know, I guess some of us just think that a revamp should be better than the original? Hmmm I guess they didn't get that memo after creating a 2nd client, eh?

I think you just stumbled across why Mesanna was recently trying to find something to do for Siege :gee:
Think you hit the nail on the head here..

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of us are just tired of the game getting slightly worse with every patch. Honestly the new Despise just LOOKS terrible and amateurish.
frankly some of the latest contents can really compete with freeshards... probably we are almost at the same level :D

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is act 2 getting disabled under bug fixes? I also noticed on test the reward statues are gone... should we quick pick our rewards now or will we have alittle time after the drop off box has been removed?

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Tokuno is pretty good, for example the Deathwatch beetles in the desert north of Zento. Or maybe things like, the orc caves? The solen hive? Fire/Ice dungeon? The Lost Lands? The Underworld? If they stick to beginner stuff in Ilshenar, the paragons shouldn't be too powerful either...

Really, I think people are living in the past. Most new players nowadays get handed a suit by players who see them. They arent depending on gold from monsters in Despise.

And who said new players cant go to despise? They can get good gear to use off the wisp (The Ephemeral items, which obviously aren't geared for US.). They can get their "pet" and have the PET tank the monster while they hit it and gain.

Have any of you even TRIED logging on TC1, playing is if your a newbie, and killing the mobs? I lowered all my skills, put on a sorc suit (missing a piece so I wasnt full 70's) and went to despise. What happened? Oh yea...my pet tanked the mobs, while I hit them (gaining skill, and also getting Putrid Hearts). If you find this new Despise hard, I dont know what to tell you, as this is the most player sheltered content released so far.
I'm saying Deathwatch Beetles NO LOOT HERE....... NO good for a newb trying to start out..... How are they to get gold and stuff?????

Lizardmen were awesome..... not only for training weapon skills but Parry..... and healing they didn't hit too damn hard for a newb...... they were the best place to train skills ..... from the 50 you get from Haven till GM or better..... Now there really is nothing for a newb to train on.

You go to illsh on the crap you got starting out with very little gold and try to kill a pargon without a great weapon, without much skill beyond 50 tell me how you do... NOT happening.

Paragons move to fast trying to GET to the lizard camp in Illsh which not only has a HORRIBLE respawn rate slower than molasses in Winter..... but there is all kinds of nasty crap between the gate and there... Fire dungeon has WAY tooo many spellcasting mobs same with Ice not to mention NO Newb with poor healing is going to be able to handle poison that is going to happen at both Ice and Fire..... You forget what being a newb is like.

Also Deathwatch Beetles NOT the hatchlings will kill them in 2 seconds from poison..... they can't heal.

I'm And once again you are forgetting I give a **** about epherial crap I don't want **** that isn't going to last.... I don't have time to farm 24/7.... with 50+ characters I'm not wasting time on crap that won't last. So no I'm not happy and Yes I think this sucks.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm And once again you are forgetting I give a **** about epherial crap I don't want **** that isn't going to last.... I don't have time to farm 24/7.... with 50+ characters I'm not wasting time on crap that won't last. So no I'm not happy and Yes I think this sucks.
But you were concerned about new players....which is what ephemeral items are aimed towards. And if you have 50+ characters and are a vet, are you really farming despise?

And like I have stated before, Despise works very well for newbies.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
But you were concerned about new players....which is what ephemeral items are aimed towards. And if you have 50+ characters and are a vet, are you really farming despise?

And like I have stated before, Despise works very well for newbies.
I am when I make new characters. or at least I was till now.

Despise has TOOO many mage characters and Briggands. It's crap.

Last edited:

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm saying Deathwatch Beetles NO LOOT HERE....... NO good for a newb trying to start out..... How are they to get gold and stuff?????
I just made a newb on TC, raised the skills to about 50 each (What youd be at after Haven). I killed Deathwatch Beetles pretty easily (They DO give hides), and got great gains. In the SAME desert are patches of Orcs, and some undead (Skeletons and things). Another good Tokuno spot would be the Crane Marsh (which has Lizardmen)

Also, I will repeat again, I DID despise on a newbie on TC. It works....and if a newbie actually got an artifact (Which they can, since their pet is the one fighting), they would make easily 10+mil on it.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Despise has TOOO many mage characters and Briggands. It's crap.

What? I was doing it just fine on TC. The pet tanked the whole time for me as I hit the mob. If I got ganged up on, all I had to do was move away. The mobs in despise are VERY dumbed down versions of their normal counterparts.

(The mage ones in the evil side, are more towards the north)

Last edited:

blinkdog

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Nobody is going to wear that ephemeral crap the wisp sells ever, ever, ever. With the random item generation and the grind required, it would take months to get a viable suit that way. I mean they added this whole reward system and it's just... nothing. Literally they may as well have spent the time they took coding it twiddling their thumbs or something instead.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I normally dont do test center stuff but decided to see what the changes to the dungeon were. Here are my observations
  • OK, I think the dungeon is goofy looking(in EC ).
  • The commanding of the "pet" is not very intuative-- I mean you have to put something on the ground to tell it to stay. The pet still has a mind of its own and will wander off to try to attack something on the other side of the wall.
  • The spell songs dont affect the pet- this takes out the bards as a viable class.
  • If being attacked and you go back thru the gate between levels the creatures attacking you will follow and sometimes you pet will not. Mine disapeared and I could not find him. Guess he was sucked back to the bad side and wandered off to get killed after awhiile.
  • You can attack your own pet and it will die rather quickly. I tried to heal and was in war mode died in one hit.

All this is is dryad allure with taking the pet commands away and putting in place a clicking and targeting of some crystal in your backpack. What I did find out is that if you put your pet to aggressive and then anchor it to whatever you want to kill it may attack the monster or just follow it for awhile. If you thought controlling a pet was bad in the recent months then you will be accustomed to this. Oh , you only get the heart things when you kill an enemy with the pet. But hey at least they made the heart things stackable.

I might stay away from this dungeon, maybe

L

lynxalot

Is anyone else having trouble getting into the game since the patch? Even when I select "run as administrator" it tells me that it is unable to connect to Ultima after I enter my username and password, and to try again in a few moments. I originally thought the game was just down for maintenance but this has been going on for a few hours.. Perhaps I am dumb and missing something obvious, but it seems as though this patch has screwed up my laptop's ability to connect to Ultima.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually don't like that they are revamping all the old dungeons. They could have left a couple of them alone. Despise was a dungeon I used quite regularly. Where are the ogre lords going to be now?! They were good for honor training. Is the ogre lord level even there now? I only found 2 levels so far.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Players who kill certain creatures in other parts of Covetous will no longer receive score credit on the Void Pool scoreboard.[/quote said:
Ok but dont forget to add REWARDS for beeing a Top Void Pool scorer - or do you realy think people continue doing this onlys to be able to brag
they are Top3 or Number 1 etc.. on a list 98% of the players dont evenlook in (anymore)...

I say RESET the Void Pool Scoreboard (not the point!) - hand out Info that the Top 10 for a week on the Overall-Scoreboard will get some kind of rewards (like additional points to turn in, drops of Artis like you get on Level 3, etc..) - and you will see the Void Pool full off players again..

For the rest of the changes comming in - i think its cool - revamp the dungeons, continue, dont worry about newbies since there are no new players joining this game anyway (only returning vets, IF) - the "classic" and "old" UO is dead since 2005 anyway - changes to the game are ok for me

But dont forget FEL pls - start changing the Champions there too - add more - have a "random Champion" spawn "quest" like system - Town Crier gives hints - People have to travel to find the Champ - have fun...

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To all the people worried about where noobies will train now...here's my question.

Why not find these noobies and let them tag along with you?

They can loot the gold and gain their skills and you never know, you might make a friend ;)
What DI said for damn sure...^^^^^^^
:cool:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
To all the people worried about where noobies will train now...here's my question.

They can loot the gold and gain their skills and you never know, you might make a friend ;)
And I have all day to babysit????

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting change to the Despise, nice to see something different.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's my question...

Why should the p(l)ayers continuously be expected to pick up Mythic's dropped balls and do their job for them? Helping a newb should happen because you want to do it, not because Mythic won't address the long-standing lack of a worthwhile NPE.

We play the game to have fun, not pick up EA/Mythic/BioWare's slack.

blinkdog

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
despise seems like itll be a great new player hangout, get up to 60s/70s in skills around haven and graveyards then head to despise to fight along side a free levelable pet while you earn points to buy higher end gear. Sounds good to me
Yeah they can just get up to 60 or 70 skill and then go to Despise and...

A) Make zero skill progress
B) Make zero gold
C) Slowly, slowly grind for temporary ephemeral items.

A newbie could spend a solid month (or a year, or a century) in this new Despise, and 25 hours of gameplay after leaving, he would have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show for it. No skill gains, no money, just some items that will vanish soon. Yeah great newbie experience.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

B) Make zero gold

A newbie could spend a solid month (or a year, or a century) in this new Despise, and 25 hours of gameplay after leaving, he would have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show for it. No skill gains, no money, just some items that will vanish soon. Yeah great newbie experience.
Blatantly False.

A) I keep repeating, and you people keep ignoring - I tried the whole take a newbie there, GUESS WHAT? I got plenty of gains. In fact it was pretty easy considering you get a pet that tanks for you.
B) Zero gold? The final boss is ONLY damaged by your "pet". ANYONE can get a level 10 pet to fight the boss with everyone else. They get one of the new arties, boom 10 or more mil right there.
C) Slowly? While I personally dont like Ephemeral items (Tho I see what they are for) you actually get alot of Putrid hearts. It doesnt take too long at all.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

B) Make zero gold

What is the point of long skill progression times? Make it so you can buy skills to 60 and raise the new haven quests to do accelerated gain to 80. Increase the skill gain frequency for all skills up to 100. It's not as if skill training is a gold sink anymore.

blinkdog

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Oh god your only defense of this is that a newbie might win the artifact lottery? I walked a newbie into TC1 Despise and he was two-shotted by anything he was attacking that decided to take a swing at him. This system is terrible, and the idea that it's "for newbies" is just some stuff you invented because even a cheerleader can't call this a good system for normal players with a straight face.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh god your only defense of this is that a newbie might win the artifact lottery? I walked a newbie into TC1 Despise and he was two-shotted by anything he was attacking that decided to take a swing at him. This system is terrible, and the idea that it's "for newbies" is just some stuff you invented because even a cheerleader can't call this a good system for normal players with a straight face.
Walked in as a newbie? As in the armor you got when you first made the char, and the same new skills?

By the time you get to a dungeon, a newbie would have had atleast 50-60 in skills, increased stats, and atleast SOME armor upgrades.

And the artifact lottery...Isnt that hard lol

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's my question...

Why should the p(l)ayers continuously be expected to pick up Mythic's dropped balls and do their job for them? Helping a newb should happen because you want to do it, not because Mythic won't address the long-standing lack of a worthwhile NPE.

We play the game to have fun, not pick up EA/Mythic/BioWare's slack.
yes, why do we have to work for EA?
pay to play is very old, free 2 play is now old, the future is play to be paid and then we can help EA! :D

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in the meantime I imagine the devs singing this:

:lol:

Last edited:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a newbie should not be going to dungeons right away anyways, lots of monsters in the woods he can train on/get gold items. I KNOW lets make it so newbies can solo Harrowers..................... get real people

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Despise was a perfect newbie dungeon (at least for warrior training)..do the quests in Haven, switch to lizardmen in Despise then ettins, earth elementals and then ogre lords. While it is nice that they are revamping the dungeons, I don't think it would have hurt to leave at least one as it was IMHO

CryptisRavenous

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's a newbie? I think I know what it is, but you don't see 'em very often. Besides, most true newbie players won't even know what despise is or what it was.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
perhaps the devs could do a relocation story contest about the denizens of Despise? move them to some on land location or heck, even to a unused area of new haven/occlo. somewhere newer characters can reach with minimal effort.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's a newbie? I think I know what it is, but you don't see 'em very often. Besides, most true newbie players won't even know what despise is or what it was.
Well I would assume that people in the know would point them there...it is a mute point anyway. It's gone.

Leather Lucy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Despise is FUN. Basically you get wisp statue, which lets you take control over a creature. You then have to train up the creature (It gains ranks). When you get high enough, youll get teleported to the final level. There you can keep leveling, and then fight the boss (Your creature will be the only thing that can damage it)
Thanks a tonne for explaining that so nicely that even drunks like me can get it :). I ran past you a few nights back when it first hit (I was the one running round wanging the red mobs with a kryss heh). Ahem, anyway! I've just been down there and used one of those Darkmane rascals, very pretty they are too! They also turn blue after a few kills.

Anyway cheers :)

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Despise was a perfect newbie dungeon (at least for warrior training)..do the quests in Haven, switch to lizardmen in Despise then ettins, earth elementals and then ogre lords. While it is nice that they are revamping the dungeons, I don't think it would have hurt to leave at least one as it was IMHO
The point people are missing, is that there are alot of places people can go besides Despise dungeon. I pointed out earlier that the Waste in Tokuno is very good for training. If you want Ettins, and then be able to move up to Cyclops and Titans there is Cyclops Valley in T2A.​

Last edited:

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
perhaps the devs could do a relocation story contest about the denizens of Despise? move them to some on land location or heck, even to a unused area of new haven/occlo. somewhere newer characters can reach with minimal effort.
There are A LOT of unused assets on the dungeon server. The best thing to do would be to use one of these spaces and create a new dungeon for Haven Isle for when players are done in Old Haven but are still rather green. It doesn't need to be fancy, just a nice even progression of monsters with a mini-boss at the end (more powerful than Drelegor). The boss could even be the Dark Knight, you have to fight your way to him (instead of hoping you still have rune he gave you).

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remind me again what the 2nd "M" in MMORPG stands for?

What you call babysitting I call being part of a community in an online MULTIPLAYER game ;)
I call it babysitting... I tell the Newb where to train they go do it I shouldn't have to hold their freaking hand.

As for training in the woods takes far too long there is TOO much around that will kill them with poison... Gargoyles, Reapers things like that it'll take WAY too long to find stuff from one thing to kill to the next to properly train... In order to train a skill decently you need a decent enough spawn rate to be able to kill, loot, kill, loot over and over and over just as fast as you can go...... stopping every 3 swings to find another monster 4 or 5 min later will take MONTHS to train up a character..... hate to say this but in this day and age folk would become BORED STIFF and quit FAR before they ever train up a character to a point they can be useful and go places with others..

Now if we had groups and groups of newbs coming back and working up skills together like in the old days YES thats fine.... however we do NOT. Now you are lucky to see one newb every 2 or 3 months...

Giving a newb everything on a Silver platter isn't the answer either..... they aren't going to learn the game having it handed to them on a silver platter.

Sending them out where they aren't going to be able to survive and having them die over and over and over again isn't going to endear them to the game either...

And I don't have all day to babysit them.

First off Despise was EASY to get to..... EASY for them to handle and made the perfect training ground for any dexer type character..... also allowed them to gather up useful things they could either sell or use..... and they made gold doing it.

Training in Illsh will get them killed..... training in the woods will bore them to tears and get them lost... Training in Tokuno will get them killed. You have to remember that they won't be able to heal poison coming out of Haven... So anything that's going to poison them is going to kill them... They aren't going to be able to get bandages, potions, and repair deeds by killing deathwatch beetle hatchlings they don't drop anything "money" worthy.... 1 scroll and 1 cheap ass potion... will NOT make them rich. Trust me I've done it. And god forbid they should pick a fight with the wrong beetle or run into the skeletal mages in the desert there.... they will die.

If I'm angry it's because I've spent 100's of hours in Despise training up my OWN characters. I don't want to have to go somewhere else either.

And once again I will say absolutely NO ONE goes to Deceit..... outside those in Fel... It could have been revised and no one would be that angry... Instead they have chosen time and again to revise the dungeons that ARE being used and in my opinion other Than Cove RUIN them.....

I rather like the changes to Cove though level 3 could be toned down just a bit... But not much of this is even things we the players have been asking for and wanting...

We wanted Factions fixed... instead they are getting worse and worse... We wanted a Graphics update.... do you see that????? No... We wanted MYUO back up and running...... is that done????? NO. So you'll excuse me if I'm not all happy about the upcoming changes.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First off Despise was EASY to get to..... EASY for them to handle and made the perfect training ground for any dexer type character..... also allowed them to gather up useful things they could either sell or use..... and they made gold doing it.

The Wastes in Tokuno is easy to get to....Just sayn

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Wastes in Tokuno is easy to get to....Just sayn
Yes and things there will poison and kill a newb in a matter of moments..... not to mention getting there is often a pain as there is almost always a dire wolf or two laying in wait there.

And once again I must remind you there is NO GOLD on Deathwatch Beetle hatchlings. But please keep reading one line in my post..... because it's such a great argument...... NOT.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
C) Slowly? While I personally dont like Ephemeral items (Tho I see what they are for) you actually get alot of Putrid hearts. It doesnt take too long at all.
Promathia, unfortunately we've all seen far too many examples of the rate that you get desirable items turned down drastically shortly after a publish hits the regular shards. The devs get people to try the new thing and then they slow the drop rate down to a trickle, everybody gets disgusted, the devs promise to look into it, and we end up with yet another addition to the game that few people want to use because they feel mislead. The high drop rate stays in effect just long enough for a handful of people to get some items, throw them on a vendor for insane prices, and then no one else can manage to get them without putting in obscene hours of tedious "play" to do so.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes and things there will poison and kill a newb in a matter of moments..... not to mention getting there is often a pain as there is almost always a dire wolf or two laying in wait there.

And once again I must remind you there is NO GOLD on Deathwatch Beetle hatchlings. But please keep reading one line in my post..... because it's such a great argument...... NOT.
I took a newbie there and tested it myself, it worked just fine. You get leather off the Beetles, and you get gold off the orcs and Skeletons. The poison from the Deathwatch beetles can be cured by newbie mages AND newbie warriors by the time they skill up to move onto them. Its not like these things are doing lethal poison to them.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if I read the notes right, they are going to take the non-eferemal drops off the monsters in level three of covetous. Now you can only get those drops, I assume, in Cora's room. This is stupid, and essentially will shut Covetous down. People have already stopped fighting the waves. Those having fun further on down are now going to stop playing the dungeon cause what's the point? Fighting Cora and her minions is OK, but considering how much effort you have to expend to get drops, only the elite player will stop by.

To make a long rant short, if you have fun in Despise, don't let the devs know about it. As soon as you do, they will take away your only reason for being there and squelch any chance of you having fun.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well if I read the notes right, they are going to take the non-eferemal drops off the monsters in level three of covetous. Now you can only get those drops, I assume, in Cora's room. This is stupid, and essentially will shut Covetous down. People have already stopped fighting the waves. Those having fun further on down are now going to stop playing the dungeon cause what's the point? Fighting Cora and her minions is OK, but considering how much effort you have to expend to get drops, only the elite player will stop by.

To make a long rant short, if you have fun in Despise, don't let the devs know about it. As soon as you do, they will take away your only reason for being there and squelch any chance of you having fun.

You got that conclusion from this? "Players who kill certain creatures in other parts of Covetous will no longer receive score credit on the Void Pool scoreboard."