• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gold sink idea for house customization..

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well.. I think it would be neat to have a feature in UO where through the house customization option, we could color the tiles//walls, doors, roofs, floors, etc.. I think it would be neat, would add in a whole new dimension to house customization...

This would also make a great gold sink, charging the player to dye their tiles and walls... Dark grey roof looks fantastic over white plaster walls btw..

Just a thought, not sure if it would be possible to add in such an option as houses are static..

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
2 things:

- Can you imagine some of the ugly houses that people would make if they could dye their walls? It's bad enough right now, some of the houses I see are so damn ugly you wonder if they did it on purpose.

- Why is everyone so concerned with gold sinks. If you have to much gold either throw it in the trash or give it to one of the many poor players I see everyday.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
2 things:

- Can you imagine some of the ugly houses that people would make if they could dye their walls? It's bad enough right now, some of the houses I see are so damn ugly you wonder if they did it on purpose.

-
Hehe, I wasn't thinking of that but damn, that's funny and true.

I think putting up a tile set vendor or something that sells "seasonal" wall tiles.. like once every 4 months he switches what he's got to sell, and once switched, the tiles are gone for good. Or some more roof tile sets. I'd like some pointy tile sets to go on top of my wizard tower on my plot dagnabit!

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 things:

- Why is everyone so concerned with gold sinks. If you have to much gold either throw it in the trash or give it to one of the many poor players I see everyday.
Well.. Roleplayers always have the best house designs, for some reason (probably since we're putting the most effort into it).. Rather than making a big ugly square.. Malas houses are always horrid.. But if you run around in Trammel in Europe, you'll see many good house designs..

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Well.. Roleplayers always have the best house designs, for some reason (probably since we're putting the most effort into it).. Rather than making a big ugly square.. Malas houses are always horrid.. But if you run around in Trammel in Europe, you'll see many good house designs..
Come see my house on Atlantic, I hope it's not ugly! I worked my tail off on it.. still not through with it, but the basic "house" is done. Makin it a home now. Wanted to mention it's in Malas as well, but I totally feel ya, right next door to me is castle von borgenstein

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The first problem with the house customization system is that it refunds gold. I can see a refund for changes done within the first few hours (say: 4), but after that, the system should not refund gold for the removal of tiles in the house. Tiles changed or added after a design has been committed for longer than the initial window should cost the player designing the house the standard price.

Unless it's been changed, you can redesign an entire house and if you do not add any tiles to the count, you can redesign it for free, adding tiles costs charge x # tiles, and removing tiles refunds the amount x # tiles removed.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ages ago, it used to cost a set amount just to go into house customization, them more to actually change the design. Players complained it was a nuisance, especially if you went in and out of customization to tweak things several times - it also could get prohbitively expensive, thus it was removed. While I agree we need goldsinks, annoyance sinks aren't the answer.

I'd like the ability to color walls to my choosing, but I don't want to see a bunch of hideous neon monstrosities. Crystal is vomit-inducing enough. A set of select hues might work, especially if they could get walls to partially hue (so windows don't look painted, etc.)...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would love to see some variants available for keep and castles. Perhaps a house "tool" available from the character context menu that allows the replacement of wall and floor tiles with selections from the custom house menu. The only restriction on walls would be that you can not place a wall where one does not currently exist, but exisiting wall tiles could be removed or replaced with doors. I would also like to be able to add some of the items from the custom houses like teleporter tiles, stairs, etc. Make them available from the same guy who sells the house placement tools for 60 million gold or from the turn in guy for like 4 million points. Once purchased all characters, regardless of shard, on that account would gain access to the context menu (similar to the restrictions for upgrade releases like SA). This provides what I would assume would be a significant gold sink without providing any real advantage... a cool looking castle is basically just for show. By adding it to the context menu and being account bound you further reduce the risk of exploits... EA would just need to test the hell out of it to make sure gamers aren't dumping 60 million gold and getting hosed.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just can't help but think of neon pink and green monstrosity's... Gigantic big borg cubes made of neon green and yellow..... No..... can't see that it would be a good idea. Much as I would like it....... besides I can't seem them doing it right... I can't see them allowing for partial hueing.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Housing gold sink?

Put a single Malas Castle that is grandfathered on each shard up for a house lottery and watch the gold roll in.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought that castles and keeps should be sieged by monsters/npcs. And that their owners should have to hire guards for them. Pay for repairs to the castle/keep.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you want a gold sink you're overthinking it, just raise the insurance cost scale to better match cost of the items. No amount of gold sinks in the world will ever do much to the system more than temporarily so long as the loss of resources/gold on death is kept so low. If you're wearing 10 million gold worth of armor losing 100k when you die shouldn't be a big deal.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
you want a gold sink you're overthinking it, just raise the insurance cost scale to better match cost of the items. No amount of gold sinks in the world will ever do much to the system more than temporarily so long as the loss of resources/gold on death is kept so low. If you're wearing 10 million gold worth of armor losing 100k when you die shouldn't be a big deal.
Don't you Siege players hate it when prodo shard players make recommendations about your shard.

Yeah I thought so :)

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't you Siege players hate it when prodo shard players make recommendations about your shard.

Yeah I thought so :)
Unlike a prodo shard player making a recommendation for a shard they've never played on in more than passing, I've played the prodo shards since before insurance and only been on siege since 09, if someone played siege for 12 years but now plays on ATL I would welcome their reccomendations as well. For those of us who have been around long enough it's pretty obvious insurance being so cheap is the core issue as to why so much gold is building up in the system.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
For those of us who have been around long enough it's pretty obvious insurance being so cheap is the core issue as to why so much gold is building up in the system.
Umm no. Even if it cost me 100k every time I died it wouldn't matter. I played for approx. 4 hours today, died 0 times. This was a little PvP around some champs in Fel and collecting imbuing ingredients in the Abyss. If I die more than 5 times a week it's a miracle and 99% of the times those deaths are in PvP not PvM.

There's alot of reasons for the massive amounts of gold in the system and IMO the amount of cheating over 15 years is at the top of the list, not insurance costs.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dyed wall tiles? Re-hued? Candy pink houses? No thanks!

Keeps and Castles customization. There are known difficulties to making customization possible, but what if there was an 'all or nothing' choice? Convert your castle/keep, layout unchanged, to a marble or wooden castle/keep?

This idea isn't very well thought out, but:
Most of the players who have mega millions are buying and selling 'rares'. You don't get billions of gps from hunting mobs.
Many of these players want a safe way to trade these rares
Therefore, introduce an ingame brokerage npc which could facilitate high value trades - for a percentage cut of the price. A kind of super vendor - in a brokerage house somewhere in game, not owned by a player.

If we must have a gold sink, let's target it at the players who have the enormous quantities of gold.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Dyed wall tiles? Re-hued? Candy pink houses? No thanks!

Keeps and Castles customization. There are known difficulties to making customization possible, but what if there was an 'all or nothing' choice? Convert your castle/keep, layout unchanged, to a marble or wooden castle/keep?

This idea isn't very well thought out, but:
Most of the players who have mega millions are buying and selling 'rares'. You don't get billions of gps from hunting mobs.
Many of these players want a safe way to trade these rares
Therefore, introduce an ingame brokerage npc which could facilitate high value trades - for a percentage cut of the price. A kind of super vendor - in a brokerage house somewhere in game, not owned by a player.

If we must have a gold sink, let's target it at the players who have the enormous quantities of gold.

Often times when something needs to be brokered, example (When more than 124 million is being handled), people go through a "reputable" broker who more often than not charges a small fee for their service, and I feel to "dodge" the brokerage fee you suggest, people will continue using "reputable" brokers. It's a good idea, to be sure, but, I feel it would see little use and may not hit the people it is intended for in the amount that would justify implementation and follow through. Perhaps if it was implemented a long long time ago, it could have seen a lot more use than it would today, but at the same time, there are people who make the majority of their income by either brokering or the running of an ingame auction house. (Which in and of themselves is cool! I love people who take the time out to run decent auctions!)

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Hmm, after rethinking what I said here, I feel that I'm only "shooting" down at your idea which isn't really my intention meow, so I'll give a little suggestion and admittedly probably not too well thought out either but here goes.

Perhaps revisit community collections or add another type of collection. Instead of having the gold ratio at a HIGH cost as in 15 gp to 1 point, make it more online to where more people are actually tempted to use gold to buy something from them. Or instead of increasing costs in materials make those lower as well. When you go to increasing reward costs or to "nerfing" how many points you get for your effort, it may seem "conceptually" a good idea because "Hey we can drain MORE out of the already messed up economy!" which is in theory a good idea, but it's failed I wouldn't say misreably but you can't deny it failed. Hell ever since the re-adjustment of these values I'll tell you exactly how interested in actually messing with it I have been.. NOT interested. I simply wait til I see someone either selling the items I'd be after in general chat for cheaper than I could go and get it, or when someone wants to trade something for something, like Trading Mace and Shields for a Tangle (just an example). The problem with the current economy is not just gold being out of the scope it was probably ever conceived to get to, but there is also a MASSIVE accumulation of raw commodities, which still has a good market, and there are alot of people who legitimately got these goods, as well as ones who got them in ill conceived manners. So to effectively influence the economy you have to take into account more than just the gold aspects, resource sinks (OMG luna got smashinated by a giant meteor! Help we need boards, ingots, and gold to help rebuild! here's a shiney something or nother for your help! HELP!) and it shouldn't effect the luna areas at all of luna, and the bank and basic services should still be remain there, but people like luna for whatever reason, and I could see a lot of folks helping to rebuild it, both new and old and hopefully those with heavy pocket books.

Sorry Velvathos that I got this far off topic, but I saw some things here that kinda lead me astray so I'll get back on Original Post here.

For customizeable housing, and your thoughts on the 4 hour "refund" timer; that's a good idea. A lot of times though, if I design a home and am messing with it, I'll get those basic concepts done in a day and probably won't touch the contextual menu customization for a year, or 6 months. I go through houses alot but I think my temptation is because I design pretty homes and people offer handsome rewards to purchase them, and then rejiggle here and there to fit their use or personal flair. I'd like to see addition of just more tiles in general. Especially in the roof variety. For a lot of the homes I build, most of the tiles for ceilings just look deplorable (mostly color issues). But there are some cases where it's just the tile set itself. I would also suggest adding more of those "curvy" tile types, not just the big thick stone tile set. And different variations on the "curvy" rounded tile set I'm talking about. I'm getting tempted to bust out the ol' paint program and have a go at some ideas, but be warned, I'm no Norman Rockwell when it comes to digi art meow.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wherever something is destroyed, someone is going to be upset. I'd rather see your 'contribute to rebuild' be a 'contribute to build', something new - in an area that isn't currently used much, and build a thing of beauty.
I'm not sure what.
Maybe an embassy for the gargoyles in Sosaria? Or an embassy for the humans in Ter Mur? or even both. An official residence type of building. Build it a little at a time so that we see it progress rather than just plonk it down, finished.

Maybe I'll shut up now - I had a sudden vision of Mesanna thwaking me for coming up with an idea that would make them a lot of work if implemented :D

oh, I almost forgot - this is for you, Sauteed Onion
cinnamon_heart.gif

W

Woodsman

For those of us who have been around long enough it's pretty obvious insurance being so cheap is the core issue as to why so much gold is building up in the system.
There's a pretty serious issue with gold being so easy to obtain as well. The people that Petra are talking about, she's right, many are not getting those billions from hunting mobs. At some point, maybe when they got started with trading rares, they were buying that gold from somebody, most likely a scripter at one of the gold/RMT sites. They might not be buying from the scripters/RMTers now, but they were at some point. When I see people in my ICQ list offering $0.40 or $0.45 per million, it drives home the point of how easy it is to obtain gold.

I even had somebody spamming me the other day, offering 100 million gold for around $0.35 per million if I would buy 100 million. If I had the time, I could easily spend the $35 for that 100 million, and then take that 100 million in game and get into the rares market and turn it into 200 million or 300 million pretty fast.

Would we even need gold sinks if gold wasn't so easy to obtain? There's all this talk about removing money from the in-game economy, but very little on addressing why it's so easily coming into the economy.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would we even need gold sinks if gold wasn't so easy to obtain? There's all this talk about removing money from the in-game economy, but very little on addressing why it's so easily coming into the economy.
Not entirely sure that's true. If you compare the amount of gold that the Shame and Wrong mobs carry - and you're never going to make a fortune in the new Covetous. So maybe it is being addressed? Slowly?

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
wherever something is destroyed, someone is going to be upset. I'd rather see your 'contribute to rebuild' be a 'contribute to build', something new - in an area that isn't currently used much, and build a thing of beauty.
I'm not sure what.
Maybe an embassy for the gargoyles in Sosaria? Or an embassy for the humans in Ter Mur? or even both. An official residence type of building. Build it a little at a time so that we see it progress rather than just plonk it down, finished.

Maybe I'll shut up now - I had a sudden vision of Mesanna thwaking me for coming up with an idea that would make them a lot of work if implemented :D

oh, I almost forgot - this is for you, Sauteed Onion
View attachment 9304
No don't shut up that part about contributing to build something new is awesome.
And YAY cinnamon roll!

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
But it's not "normal" honest players that have brought so much gold into the system, it was the cheaters. For example remember when there were scripters killing Trogs and Ice Fiends 24/7 for years, for all I know they're still doing it, but my guess is they flooded the game with so much gold that they've moved on to other things or different games. IMO it was those type of activities, not your average regular player collecting maybe a few 100k a day that created the massive amounts of gold floating around today.

Once again another problem created by the lack of enforcement of the ToS and a decade+ of rampant cheating.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd like to see the Raffle for a castle in Malas... that would be good maybe 100k tickets. That should remove gold.

I'd like to also see about 5 or 6 different designs for Keeps and Castles introduced that a keep or Castle owner could "chose" from. I'd pay gold to get a new castle design.

I think the basement thing is another good idea for a gold sink.

Pet dyes would be another good gold sink idea. Something NOT tacky or neon... but nice dyes you can use on your pet.... but for that the art department and engineers would have to learn to partial hue things.... NO just rehuing the whole thing.

Island Castle plots Or Keeps say 2 per shard of each that's 4 total..... add a new island one for a keep and one for a castle to each Tram and Fel. Private island castle or keep.... 100k per lotto... That would seriously sink some gold.

Ryna

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you mean selected hues like the boat paint?
I could see that working, so long as the tub was limited uses and fairly expensive. This could also be a good use for plant dye, since only a few of them are really gnarly looking.
I would like this simply because it would make it easier to match pieces with incomplete sets (like the two colors of plaster walls with different pieces)