• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So how many out there have met their significant other in Ultima Online?

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was just wondering how many of you out there have met your significant other of whom they are still together with through Ultima Online? Seeing as how our 15th anniversary is coming up I thought it'd be interesting to find out how many people out there have spent several years together with someone they've met through Ultima Online.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dear god, if my s/o (whoever she may be at the time) played video games my life would effectively be over...my S/O is the main balancing force that keeps me from staring at this stuff 24/7.....Please no...

Thats just me though, I'm a guy of little willpower and who as my mother has put it for many many years, "should not be allowed to walk the earth unsupervised"

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Au contraire - I've spent years in UO, after having started playing because of / together with my then SO.
He's been gone for years (from UO and my life), I'm still here.

W

Woodsman

I know somebody who met their significant other through a UO player luncheon. Does that count? They've been married for nearly 10 years. They had actually crossed paths in-game, since a lot of people from our area played on the same shard, but it was the player luncheon that did it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've known many who met their s/o here on UO but all that I once knew have moved on...

I can safely say that I know just as many who have LOST a s/o because of UO... LOL. Infact one of my favorite old friends long gone came back one time during a WBB and said to me... "Gods no I can't play UO again. My Wife would leave me if she ever caught me on here." He I believe went to playing City of Hero's or some junk like that. I do miss him, but can certainly understand.

I myself remain as I was at the beginning... happily single. I don't want to give up my UO. Now if I had me a rich doctor type or something where they was gone most the time... yeah... that might work...

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I first met her at her small shop in Orc Valley on Atlantic in 1998. We spent the next 2 years really getting to know each other. For various reasons, we lost contact. Then in 2005, I get a message on ICQ:
remember me?

We reconnected and were married. Still happily married and still playing UO.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
God that would be awesome to have met someone with the same intrest in this game that i have but i guess my S/O keeps me from 24\7 UO not sure if that good or bad though

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He I believe went to playing City of Hero's or some junk like that. I do miss him, but can certainly understand.
Coincidentally, I just a few days ago re-opened my account there for a little variety, and was talking about Ultima Online in the chat on Union server, which is mostly Europeans... and 2 people asked after people who I knew still play Europa, another commented they used to roleplay there and asked after the guilds, and a fourth and fifth were tempted to try it out during the anniversary.

CoH was one of what I'd roughly term the second wave of Western MMOs after UO, so it's unsurprising a lot of us explored it... it's actually quite a close match to the same style of creative fanbase UO had in it's salad days, with the huge character customization, and now you can write your own mission content for other people too (I managed to cram 600 cow puns into 100kb of mission text and settings, muahaha), but UO remains unique above and beyond that, so in turn I wasn't surprised a lot of the players there still remember our realm here with great fondness; and I'm doing my best to lure them all back at least for the celebrations coming up!

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok back to the point of the op's question.
I have known so many who met and married from meeting on uo... and have seen a few restless soul's who were not happy breakup a marrage on uo too but find a new life also due to uo.
I met a fiancee here but sadly it was not to be..... not that uo did anythng to it RL has its pit falls.
I have consigned that I am a happy married lady to the love of my life, now if someone could please tell me how to reconstute him from the tin can he is in I'd be estatic!! He would be soo into uo.

S

Sevin0oo0

My SO is afraid to play, she knows how addicting games like this are and doesn't want to be hooked like she has in the past. Fortunately, her boy was a big WoW player, so she understands "getting my stuff", a B&W screen, and finishing a quest or spawn. She's great, she's a Brit, what else would you expect?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In a side note: Many people have a disposition to become wraped up in uo, not realizing that the 10 minutes more mom/hun took 2 hours. Many a wife or hubby will over look it a few times but I can tell you many wont when it happens alot. It's not just uo but all games for many. Adiction to games is real, it can and does effect real lives. Many I personaly know who have quit did it cause they realized they have this personality and quit cold to save their RL relationships with mates and children. I will not chide them for the leaving of uo... rather I support their courage to do the right thing. Real Life is top most over any game. :)

J

Jingles

I met my wife doing Xshard trading. For some reason, we started talking on a very regular basis even though at that time we still played separate shards.
Many years past and despite my leaving and returning we continued to talk online about whats going on in game and other RL stuff. After meeting for the 1st time in RL, after spending years talking to each other online, things went by faster. And before I knew it, I'm on a new shard and living in a new country.

I know it's not really the most orthodox way to meet your significant other, but we're UO players. We're not that orthodox. ;)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I did, we met because we were both trying to get the elusive Exodous Lair snowglobe one "holiday" season... but we aren't together anymore. He started playing WOW. Things went downhill from there.
I think nowadays everyone plays some sort of game, be it console. computer, MMORPG, or facebook. So it's not as weird as it used to be.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
My SO is afraid to play, she knows how addicting games like this are and doesn't want to be hooked like she has in the past. Fortunately, her boy was a big WoW player, so she understands "getting my stuff", a B&W screen, and finishing a quest or spawn. She's great, she's a Brit, what else would you expect?
Your avatar had me thinking you were a female.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My SO and I parted ways over other, RL, issues.'
But, now I have more free time for UO...so...silver lining and all I guess. :)

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dated someone for a while that i met through UO. it didn't work out, but he and i are still friends in game and out, so it's all good :)

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I met my SO years ago, in an airline travel industry school back in 1969, and we got married in 1971.
IF EVER he would play UO, he would probably be a pk ! LOL
He doth not fathom UO, but he will comically tell me turn the volume down on the UO bleating sheep and my 70+ parrots squaking,
or he will tell our Shelties, 'mom's killing a cat again', when my cat statues meow. :)

I do know of about 4 couples on Siege & Chessie, that DID meet their future SO in UO though.

IF I recall I told em all just be very very careful, if ya do go meet em in rl, cuz
maybe the *character* they playing, is nothing remotely like whom they may really be
or behave like in rl.
Since I seemed to feel, or felt I thought I knew, the rl persons behind the chrs. they played,
I did not wish to see any of em get hurt.

And luckily they each were each SINGLE.

I seen some marriages of ingame folks, also become destroyed, cuz their roleplaying, went amuck and they broke up yrs. long marriages with their spouses that DID play uo with em, over some other with other online UO players too, to me if ya ARE married ya should remember that first, divorce if ya have to THEN go find another SO, not while ya ARE married, but whatever ! :(

I liked them all of them once single, now 2 couples I know of on Siege,
and had hoped for the best for them,
and well when they had met in rl and seemed to hit it off *still*
and are still together, got married, or very close to being, the same thing as married. :)

So perhaps maybe if ya DO meet a genuine rl person behind chrs. they/you may be playing,
in UO,
one's whom ya may think of as ye friends, if they DO meet up in rl,
ya kinda figured they would hit it off and natch ya hope for the best, for both of em. :)

I shall continue um to 'moderate' them 2 couples I think of as Friends, on SIEGE :)
I wonder if the 4 of em even know how I about bit my fingernails down to about nothing,
when I worrily knew they were gonna, finally rl meet up !! o_O
I feel like I am their mom or matchmaker, to a 'tiny degree' anyhow ! LOL

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My SO and I met in UO and were good friends for several years. I flew to Seattle to hang out and meet my friend (and other players). One thing led to another and he moved down to California a month later. We became a couple and eventually got married ever since... and that will be 8 years this November. I'm happier now than I have ever been. He no longer plays UO as he doesn't like the direction it has gone.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Almost 12 years ago I was asked to help a newbie that was a friend of a friend who didn't play the game. I won't bore you with the details but it has been absolutely wonderful. This man, now husband, is the kindest, most thoughtful person I've ever met.

We still play together although I play more these days that he does. He still comes to rez my butt. He hears those choice words and just simply asks "where are ya"?

*Looks at the man sitting across the table* "You Old Goat"!
*He looks back at me with love in his eyes* " You Old Buzzard"!

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Me. I met my significant other playing and we are still together. Sadly its still a bit of a long distance relationship but we see each other a few times a year which is pretty good for a nomad like me. (Even though I have lived in the same place for awhile now.)

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have lots of SO's on UO, but most of them don't know it.

The only one that does know it sent me an autographed copy of something called a "Restraining Order" so I could put it on my wall to remember her by. Wasn't that nice of her?

Last edited:

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know of some interesting stories too.
Intercontinental marriage of two young people who met in UO, she moved from Europe to the US, they have a beautiful daughter and don't play UO anymore.
And a different twist - UO friend's (now ex-) wife went on a trip to another country to meet a charmer from UO, they spent a couple of weeks together but things didn't go well, so she went back. Too bad the husband had already removed her from their house access list...

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL. I just thought of some strange looks that might develop from husband/wife UO players if anyone talked about it at the office next day.

"She was talking smack, I killed my wife last night"

and old school:
"after i killed my wife last night, I hacked her body apart"

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Met my current boyfriend on UO. We've been living together for a few years now. He doesn't play UO anymore. I'm not playing nearly as much as I used to. But my life would be very different without UO :)

He still calls me Wenchy *grins*

Wenchy

Reactions: Gem

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, of course he does... it's your name, after all.

I learned the hard way that it's not funny to call your SO the wrong name. "Yes Dear" never gets me in trouble.
I still laugh when I think about my sister and her hubby had a bet going to see who would be the first to crack... They were to call eachother only by their REAL names.... No hun, hunny, sweety or anything just real names to see who would be the first to crack...

It took only one full day before he messed up and called her Hunny... LOL You know you never realize how often you do it until you make such a bet. My Ex and I also called eachother by pet names but it was usually more like "Hey Dipsh** get your *** in here and help me!" OR "Idiot! Good for nothing Loser."..... hum...... perhaps that's part of why I'm still single now...

Nah.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, of course he does... it's your name, after all.

I learned the hard way that it's not funny to call your SO the wrong name. "Yes Dear" never gets me in trouble.
"Yes Dear" and "I acknowledge" are golden responses to the SO in my book. The latter does tend to bring on the irritation, but sometimes that's hot ;)