• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So how do you guys build bosses?

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I love harping on you guys about the specifics of encounter design under "WTF 400 PEOPLE I CAN'T MOVE" circumstances, but it occurs to me that I don't really know what goes into it.

Do you start with an existing creature as a base and then pump up the stats, or do you build something from scratch? How difficult is to graft additional powers onto something? Are there any powers you wish an event monster could use, but which can't be added for some reason?

If you can talk about this, what's the UI overhead like? What I mean is, if you wanted to take a Dark Father and give it Serrado's poison AOE effect, would you just be checking off a box, or would this be an involved process?

Just curious.

EMTiberies

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I honestly do not know what I am or am not allowed to tell you about the mechanics of all this stuff, so it's safest to say little or nothing. This is frustrating for me because as a player I also like seeing behind the curtain. For example have you ever noticed that those "Mysterious Talismans," most EMs these days seem to like to paint black so they are less-viewable, whereas I leave mine out in the open? That's because I like to catch glimpses behind the curtain and I figure some of the public has to be like me.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have honestly never noticed the Mysterious Talisman until your chars hit. I thought that was your sig ;)

I think almost everyone wants to see behind the curtain, until you look behind it to see some goofball pulling levers and twisting buttons. Sometimes the mystery is way better than what the reality is. Think I will stick to the mystery :D

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think almost everyone wants to see behind the curtain, until you look behind it to see some goofball pulling levers and twisting buttons. Sometimes the mystery is way better than what the reality is. Think I will stick to the mystery :D
Well Said... and true... once you know... no more mystery and no more enjoyment because you already know how its done so the excitement isnt there anymore.