• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] Black and white seed possible from Raised Garden Bed?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Do I have bad luck or is it impossible to gain mutant seed from crosspolling in Raised Garden Bed?
I have only tryed with 45 plante so far but no luck.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A couple of things to note:

According to the Gardening FAQ -
When you cross-pollinate two different plants, there is a small chance (~1%) that a mutation will occur, and the 8 seeds produced will be either bright white or black.
So your 45 plants is way to small a sample to even wonder why you haven't gotten a mutant black or white.

Also according to the FAQ -
If you are using the 2D client, you can tell immediately whether or not you've gotten a mutation, by looking at the color of the "0/8" seed counter on your plant's Reproduction gump. There is a bug in the KR Reproduction gump as of August 2008 - the seed counter is always "plain" colored - so the only way to tell if you got a mutation is to pull a seed off the plant and look at its color.
As to differences growing in a Raised Bed vs in a pot, the Raised Beds do nothing more than negate the need to "tend" the plants. They have no effect on what is grown or produced.

Just sayin....
;)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Thanks I do know my 45 plants is way to small a sample, that's why I asked if others had got any mutant black and white seed. Would be foolish of me to buy more Raised Beds before I know for sure I can get my black and white seed from them. There could be a bug or they did not want to make it to easy for me to get my black and white to make plant dyes off :)
I do use the classic client, so I look forward to see if I have better luck with the next 4 x 9 plants. I really love this Raised Beds as they let me take a day off without care for my plants.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be foolish of me to buy more Raised Beds before I know for sure I can get my black and white seed from them....
Like I said above, the Raised Beds have ZERO effect on the chance to get mutants. It is NO DIFFERENT than raising the plants in pots.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive been using Raised beds for about 5 months now, I have 12 of them in my house...

I have to say that I have not gotten any Black or White seeds from any of my beds ;-(

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive been using Raised beds for about 5 months now, I have 12 of them in my house...

I have to say that I have not gotten any Black or White seeds from any of my beds ;-(
Are you cross-pollinating?

Lady Bleez

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm just returning so I've not had a lot of testing time with the raised beds yet but even in all my gardening before I never get a black or white. I just have horrible luck though. :rolleyes:

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In about the third or fourth crop I grew on my single raised bed I got 2 plants with white seeds then nothing till a while ago and I got a plant with black seeds and then nothing since then. I am so due for white or black colored seeds :)

E

elspeth

I can also confirm obtaining mutant seeds from raised garden beds. I was planting all green snake plants. I cross-pollinated all of them and after 4 or 5 batches I did obtain 8 white seeds from one of them. Haven't gotten anymore yet but like startle said the chance is really low. But you have to manually crosspollinate them. (And I cross pollinated using only the plants in the bed as well.)

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you guys still getting mutant seeds from raised garden bed? I haven't had any although I have been growing constantly from my previous post.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I am getting them but they are very rare. I wish the did increase the chance for getting mutant seeds.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Yes, they are possible.

I squee'd for joy last week when two of my plants gave me black mutants. Using a raised bed and crossing all plants (no self pollinating). Now that my luck was all used up on them, I'll probably never get mutant seeds again. haha!

To note, those were my first ever mutant seeds.

Last edited:

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OM, I can't believe it. I have been growing crossbred orange petals steadily since my previous post (April) and haven't gotten and color mutants

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It do happen but they are very rare now

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OH no well I guess I had it good when I first got my raised bed got two black and a white mutant. Nothing since then. I was starting to think I was hexed.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have 17 raised beds and I'm lucky if I get a black or white mutant from just one of them. Now where we have so many new dye tubs, I don't get they have to be so rare. I would love to get more black and white seed so I could lower the price on my dyes.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FINALLLLY!!!!!!! I have white seeds. WOW! that has to be the longest interval of no mutants ever. I have been constantly growing something and cross pollinating it ever since I got my bed Initially I had a bunch and now nothing for a long long time and numerous orange petals, green thorns and other various plants. I just realized it has been about a whole year since I got mutant seeds.

Last edited:

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm still trying. I have 8 garden beds going now. Maybe it will happen one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
make sure you cross pollinate them. I had only one bed so nine plants and I did take some time off from growing cross pollinated bright orange poppies and bright green snake plants to grow some vanilla cocoa and sugar but right back at it again. I am sure you will have seeds in 2 months or less.

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do cross pollinate all if the plants I can, which as of right now is 6 beds worth. Been doing this for about a year and a half now and still no luck. Still going tho.

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally got some white seeds from plants in a raised garden bed this weekend. So they are there, they just come very slow.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm fairly new to gardening, but I've gotten a few seeds of renewal already (I love it when that happens!). I understand you have a better chance of getting a black seed from the naturalist quest than cross pollinating your garden beds, right? Also, do I understand it right that a black or white plant gives you 8 seeds that you can plant for black or white plants, but these plants don't produce seeds themselves? Thanks

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, I forgot to ask in the last post, I've been gathering seeds every day once they become available. Does it matter if I let them go and gather them all at once after 8 days? Will they all still be there?

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I have had better luck getting black seeds from the quest. So far from cross pollination I've only gotten 1 white plant. Unfortunately, while my white bonsai gave seeds. The plants grown from those seeds don't . It doesn't matter how often you collect the seeds. I've done it daily and 8 eight at once. This is also true for the plant resources. Warning, gardening is very addictive. :) I've been hooked for over 6 years now.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm fairly new to gardening, but I've gotten a few seeds of renewal already (I love it when that happens!). I understand you have a better chance of getting a black seed from the naturalist quest than cross pollinating your garden beds, right? Also, do I understand it right that a black or white plant gives you 8 seeds that you can plant for black or white plants, but these plants don't produce seeds themselves? Thanks
Black and white plants do not produce seeds. If it does it is a freak. I'd be taking screenshots galore of it. I can see how that bonzai might have since it's not a normal cross.

I went well over a year without getting black or white from cross pollinating. I just run the naturalist quests with green thorns to get black and white for dyes. It takes time, but at least you get seeds.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got some white seeds again...cool....only about 7 months of constant growing on a single bed (9 plants)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I would like to see a little increase to this mutant seeds.
Maybe changes the way it works, so all seed on a plant won't be mutant but you have an increased changes to get one mutant seed.
I would also like to see 2-4 new mutant colors. Good both for deco plants and for plant dyes.
We do have several plants, that only do give resources but not seed, I would like them to have a chance to give mutant seed or Seed of Renewal. It would be great with an increase in Seed of Renewal from growing plants.
If 20% of the crosspolled plants would give one mutant seed, it would be better than getting 8 seed 1-2 times a year.
Some farm tiles like the grass and snow tiles would be great too for classic houses, together with some in the costumize house menu

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got some more black seeds so either I am ahead of the game or they changed the rate. Most likely I am just catching up for that year of no mutants.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This might have been something one of you gardeners did, but wasn't there someone who had certain plants in a crate just for cross pollinating and getting a higher number of mutant seeds? Like when they knew X and X gave them? Can we cross plants in and out of the garden beds?

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This might have been something one of you gardeners did, but wasn't there someone who had certain plants in a crate just for cross pollinating and getting a higher number of mutant seeds? Like when they knew X and X gave them? Can we cross plants in and out of the garden beds?
Should be able to cross them without issue.