• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOAM issue

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, I am using XP and I have 2 lands currently in black screen, tried locate the client and not work...

Trammel and Felucca is black screen, anyone help? Thanks!

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think the consensus is with the new patch mechanism that uo auto map is now officially dead. the original designer has long since stopped supporting it so i doubt you will get help there. looks like uo mapper is the wave of the future as it has been officially supported by uo as an approved application, a designation cartographer did not obtain and from what i understand is no longer being supported as well.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have automap working just fine - as long as you know what you're doing, it's not broken at all :)

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well that doesnt really help. And now mapper isnt working either.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just downloaded the latest version of uoam... and used the bmps a buddy sent me and viola it works again. Its wierd though.

Falon of Eldor

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just DL mapper...hmmm how do i calibrate to where i am? Any usefuld links for using this program? I do like the look of Brit and surrounding area.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To get map to work, you can copy all of the current uo files into a folder, and copy the map files from an old install into the same folder. Point uoam to this directory and the maps should all be there.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Excellent Cetric!
i will put a gold star on your paper and you can proudly display it on the fridge for everyone to see!

i was starting to get worried that my faithful UOAM was dead!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
To get map to work, you can copy all of the current uo files into a folder, and copy the map files from an old install into the same folder. Point uoam to this directory and the maps should all be there.
just a couple quick questions on this.

1) cant i just copy the old map files and put them into the main file where the current new ones are and just point the UOAM to that?

2) getting old map files..... where would one find these?
is there a old map folder?
or are we talking grab a old install CD and get the off of there?

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Since I started to mess with this I somehow lost my stygian abyss maps, anyone still have a link where I could find them. If I remeber right it was some japanes fansite that had made them.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to advice from Basara I had on my pc a backup of my uo files in case of patching corrupting a file. I have copied all the .mul and .idx files from this into my 'insideuo' folder - which will allow that program to work for all graphics in the game up to the point of the latest update. Obviously it won't pick up any new graphics introduced from here on, but I have entered the path to those files into uoam, so now that works too, using the old map files. Again, it will never work for any new lands that may be introduced or any updates that may be made in the future to the existing lands.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to advice from Basara I had on my pc a backup of my uo files in case of patching corrupting a file. I have copied all the .mul and .idx files from this into my 'insideuo' folder - which will allow that program to work for all graphics in the game up to the point of the latest update. Obviously it won't pick up any new graphics introduced from here on, but I have entered the path to those files into uoam, so now that works too, using the old map files. Again, it will never work for any new lands that may be introduced or any updates that may be made in the future to the existing lands.

I have a question about these .mul and .idx files........

Does one really have to copy them all into a folder ?

I am asking, because looking at my UO folder while some are labelled mapdif0.mul (number changes...), several others are named like anim2.mul (number changes...) or animdata.mul, animinfo.mul, fonts.mul etc.
I even have them on a separate sub-folder (different to the main UO one...), named like chardata.mul and skillgrp.mul (repeated many times...).

What I am trying to understand, is whether they really all need to be copied into a separate folder (for example like the "Insideuo" folder which you used) and then set UOAM path to that folder, or really only those files related to the Maps in UO need to be copied.

Hmmm.... I went ahead and tinkered with UOAM but it seems not to be working....

I fired up UOAM once being logged into the game (using UOAssist). I went to the "Map" Menu and under the "UO client Data Files location" unchecked the box "Have UOAM locate client data files for you" and have manually entered the path to the UO folder where the .mul and .idx files are located.

Have closed UOAM and restarted it.

It still is all black. It seems it is not loading the UO Map files correctly.

What did I do wrong ?

Thanks.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no, you don't need them all. Nor do you need to copy them anywhere I guess, you could just point automap to the back up folder. You don't need the ones in your char folders, just the main uo folder.

I mostly copied mine because the back up wasn't on the same hdd as the main install.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no, you don't need them all. Nor do you need to copy them anywhere I guess, you could just point automap to the back up folder. You don't need the ones in your char folders, just the main uo folder.

I mostly copied mine because the back up wasn't on the same hdd as the main install.

Thanks. I did try it though, as I explained in the previous post but something is not working right as when I start UOAM, even though I did change the path to the UO folder where the .mul and .idx files are kept, I still get the UOAM screen as black.

What did I do wrong ?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
just a couple quick questions on this.

1) cant i just copy the old map files and put them into the main file where the current new ones are and just point the UOAM to that?

2) getting old map files..... where would one find these?
is there a old map folder?
or are we talking grab a old install CD and get the off of there?
1. im not sure, i copied everything into a new folder so i didn't risk breaking the uo install, but ya it would probably work

2. im not sure if they would be on the old cd (probably?) i talked to someone who had a computer they hadn't patched on yet and he got the files from there and sent them to me.

It all worked, but i don't expect everyone to do it. Strangely enough i had some guildmates that map never broke, some that had fel/tram but lost the rest, and some like me that lost all maps. I'm not sure why, whether they patched with uoam open (so the files were read only maybe?) or what. We are also looking into the new mapper program. Sort of waiting to see if some items of it are changed/updated before we roll it out.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm afraid I don't know the answer :( Double check that the path is complete and correct. No typos, no upper/lower case differences, no spaces missing, no / that should be \ etc, that's all I can suggest.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
radarcol.mul is very important too

Well, when I redirected UOAM to look for the files it needed to the current UO folder, I checked it, and "radarcol.mul" is indeed in that folder. Yet, I am still getting the screen as black when loading up UOAM.....

Any suggestions ?

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you need map0.mul, mapdif0.mul, stadif0.mul, stadifi0.mul, staidx0.mul, statics0.mul, and radarcol.mul

once you build MAP0-1.BMP through MAP0-4.BMP by changing the performance settings for felucca and picking the advanced button (click the box next to the first 4 on the list that pops up when you click advanced)

then you don't need the mul files as much and automap gets its information from the bmps instead

also, make sure automap isn't set for x-ray mode

and I just used the example for felucca - you have to use 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 for all those files for the other lands like trammel etc.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Poops try start uoam as admin it helped me.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you need map0.mul, mapdif0.mul, stadif0.mul, stadifi0.mul, staidx0.mul, statics0.mul, and radarcol.mul

once you build MAP0-1.BMP through MAP0-4.BMP by changing the performance settings for felucca and picking the advanced button (click the box next to the first 4 on the list that pops up when you click advanced)

then you don't need the mul files as much and automap gets its information from the bmps instead

also, make sure automap isn't set for x-ray mode

and I just used the example for felucca - you have to use 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 for all those files for the other lands like trammel etc.
Thanks for the info. Problem is, that before the last patch I would get the gump of the settings pop up before loading UOAM, now it no longer shows up. I did check the UOAM "MAP" Menu and all Maps Performance Settings lines are greyed out but for the Tokuno Map. And if I select the Tokuno Map Performance Settings line nothing happens.

By the way, I did check and UOAM is already set on normal view, not in x-ray.

Any clue of what might be wrong ?
Thanks.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
where the heck am i gonna get the old map files from.... and never mind, just remembered i still have my old laptop from last year sitting here, ill get them from it.

fun fun fun!

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i took a peek inside the new UOP files (since i can't really do anything else, new patch completely broke my install it seems, i took the advice and didn't close the patcher and it's been "patching" for like 2 days now....) and it should interest those that still use UOAM to know that it looks quite simple to dump a MUL file that uoam can generate a map from (or hell, just generate a map directly from it, as that's how i made all my old static maps anyways), didn't really take the time to actually try but at a glance it appears the .uop file is just a custom zip file format, so it's really just a .mul file zipped. (though, being a unknown format, I'd have to actually take the time to write a custom tool to decompress it, but the compression algo looks like it's just standard zip) Figure there's not much point writing another one though since whenever uomapper gets support for it patched in you should just be able to copy the image files from it anyways. (though hopefully he takes my advice and stops using jpegs so you thunters can actually have image resolution good enough to actually see tile by tile)

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you have to run as administrator and calibrate automap if you're not using uoassist

btw, I put up the new map5.mul file and the new statics files in 2 separate posts on the UOAM thread - new the end of page 5 currently

(in the UO Resources forum of stratics)