• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Patch Issue

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have received reports that some players are having issues patching.
If you do not see the screen below when logging in, then you may have closed the patcher before you should have. Please verify your client is not open when you attempt to patch.

Continue reading...

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
There should have been some sort of warning that they changed they way the game patches for those people who use UO Assist.

For those who use UO Assist first patch with the uo.exe without opening assist. Opening UO Assist without patching will cause problems.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
There should have been some sort of warning that they changed they way the game patches for those people who use UO Assist.

For those who use UO Assist first patch with the uo.exe without opening assist. Opening UO Assist without patching will cause problems.
if i remember right you can switch the folder and the start up for uoassist maybe point it to the start file fore uo instead of the patcher? and when we patch you can manualy run the patcher

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if i remember right you can switch the folder and the start up for uoassist maybe point it to the start file fore uo instead of the patcher? and when we patch you can manualy run the patcher
Storm,

That doesn't stop UOAssist starting UOPatch.exe, it just controls what client UOAssist tries to start after the UOPatch.exe is completed.

The issue is that Mythic have changed what UOPatch.exe does.

Before, it just patched and then when you clicked OK it closed. It was UO.exe that was starting UOPatch.exe, waiting for it to finish and then starting Client.exe.

And Tug coded UOAssist to work exactly the same way, and so it has for the last what, 14 years?

But now what happens is that UO.exe starts UOPatch.exe which starts the new patcher that shows as "uo.bin" in the process tree (which is massively weird in itself as you can't run a .bin file) and then closes itself down. Once "uo.bin" completes, and you click Play, it automatically starts the client.exe for you.

All of this is a completely unnecessary design change really; Mythic could have put this into the program called UOPatch.exe instead of having it start a separate process and close itself.

Had they really cared about us, they would have. Their own producer admitted in his recent interview that the majority of users are still on the Classic Client, and anyone who has anything to do with UO knows that most (not all, but most) classic client users also use UOAssist.

Bleak and his colleagues should find a damned good explanation why they changed the names of the processes, in my opinion totally unnecessarily. They could easily have maintained the same names, and simply put in different programs.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Storm,

That doesn't stop UOAssist starting UOPatch.exe, it just controls what client UOAssist tries to start after the UOPatch.exe is completed.

The issue is that Mythic have changed what UOPatch.exe does.

Before, it just patched and then when you clicked OK it closed. It was UO.exe that was starting UOPatch.exe, waiting for it to finish and then starting Client.exe.

And Tug coded UOAssist to work exactly the same way, and so it has for the last what, 14 years?

But now what happens is that UO.exe starts UOPatch.exe which starts the new patcher that shows as "uo.bin" in the process tree (which is massively weird in itself as you can't run a .bin file) and then closes itself down. Once "uo.bin" completes, and you click Play, it automatically starts the client.exe for you.

All of this is a completely unnecessary design change really; Mythic could have put this into the program called UOPatch.exe instead of having it start a separate process and close itself.

Had they really cared about us, they would have. Their own producer admitted in his recent interview that the majority of users are still on the Classic Client, and anyone who has anything to do with UO knows that most (not all, but most) classic client users also use UOAssist.

Bleak and his colleagues should find a damned good explanation why they changed the names of the processes, in my opinion totally unnecessarily. They could easily have maintained the same names, and simply put in different programs.
ok I could not remember I only use the cc anymore to test things out like this :) I know they changed about 9 files
metrix.txt stores your computer info
mft.myp
entitled.def
uo.cfg
patch.myp
map0xLegacyMUL.uop
map0LegacyMUL.uop
patchlog
verinfo
at least those are what was edited on my system after patching and loging in

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Makes me wonder wtf happened to "If if ain't broke don't fix it". It seems we have re-entered the world of ... well that works, let's see how we can F'it up. Loot drops, healing getting loot chance and now how we patch.... wonder wtf is next?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Makes me wonder wtf happened to "If if ain't broke don't fix it". It seems we have re-entered the world of ... well that works, let's see how we can F'it up. Loot drops, healing getting loot chance and now how we patch.... wonder wtf is next?
My guess is that EA will eventually tell us we must go to the origin.com site and download the Origin client so we can run UO through it and thus be more sociable as we play UO, be more easily sucked into buying/acquiring additional content that only works when you run UO through the Origin client, get to worry about what's accessible to EA on our computers because we're running it, etc., etc.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My guess is that EA will eventually tell us we must go to the origin.com site and download the Origin client so we can run UO through it and thus be more sociable as we play UO, be more easily sucked into buying/acquiring additional content that only works when you run UO through the Origin client, get to worry about what's accessible to EA on our computers because we're running it, etc., etc.
If it ever comes to that i will let all 6 of my accounts run out. They already ruined battlefield 3 with their origin client. I will never buy/use any piece of software that required the origin client.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
well nice to know this now. i patched thru uoa. now i get a fatal message stating '' failed to open 'map0legacyMUL.uop' from HD using a maximum install. either this file is not readable, your system needs to be rebooted or the file does not exist and you either need to reinstall or switch to a non maximum install.

i rebooted and got the same. any suggestions? thanks.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

V

Vyal

Maybe this is some type of attempt to stop hacks. I dunno but I have win XP and have yet to attempt to patch, has anyone patched in XP yet?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Patched fine in XP SP3 - just start UO without UOA, then click the "quit" button when you get into the sign-in screen. Then, restart manually again. There's multiple incremental patches, partially to handle the size, partially from the likelihood that parts of the incremental patches are incompatible if installed simultaneously.

Only after UO tells you (without UOA) that it's fully patched, do you start it with UOA, and feel free to cancel out of the patch window if there's not an incoming patch (as it starts the patch (that leads to a client) AND a client - the client alone is the one linked to UOA)

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UOA will sort itself out sooner or later like it always does. I'm more concerned with the fact that I now have to watch the patcher slowly count from 0 to 390 for a couple minutes every single time I start the client. This is completely unacceptable.

V

Vyal

My best guess would be updating the client and the mul files then converting them to UOP file formats was EA's attempt to shut down EMU servers and kill hacking programs, guess it's a good thing but now free shards are unplayable.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
why do people launch the client from UO.exe and sit there and watch the patcher count to 390 instead of just making a shortcut for client.exe on their desktop - I don't get it

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why do people launch the client from UO.exe and sit there and watch the patcher count to 390 instead of just making a shortcut for client.exe on their desktop - I don't get it
My reason is I open the game with UO Assist.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Parnoc: Right now the solution is don't use UO Assist long enough to patch up, then when done, go back to UO Assist and just kill the Mythic patcher when UOA starts the game up, as the patcher instance isn't linked to UOA, while the instance of UO that goes straight to the sign-in window is. Plus, the patcher started by UOA keeps starting up a patch of 1 file that was already finished (a weird bug interaction between it and UOA)

BTW, I'm still waiting for the Patcher (without UOA) to run over 30 seconds if the game's patched up. I call :bs:on the people claiming "minutes" for a no-update start-up, as I'm using a slow laptop, on a slow wireless connection, with about 70-100 ms lag to the patch server. In fact, I tested it 15 minutes ago, and got it to go from doubleclicking the icon, to sign-in page, TWICE, in less than a minute, including the time to close both after the tests.

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can change it there too. Force update check, then change Settings.
No, you can't, we've already discussed this in all 3 threads on this topic. All that the setting you are discussing changes is what client.exe UOAssist tries to launch after it has run UOPatch.exe and it has completed. Why not try it to verify it, as I have done a half a dozen times in the last 24 hours to verify I am right before contradicting someone who is working from memory or hope.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, you can't, we've already discussed this in all 3 threads on this topic. All that the setting you are discussing changes is what client.exe UOAssist tries to launch after it has run UOPatch.exe and it has completed. Why not try it to verify it, as I have done a half a dozen times in the last 24 hours to verify I am right before contradicting someone who is working from memory or hope.
Actually, you are correct, IF you haven't already modified your registry. I forgot that I had modified my registry to prevent UOAssist from patching UO many years ago.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually, you are correct, IF you haven't already modified your registry. I forgot that I had modified my registry to prevent UOAssist from patching UO many years ago.
Honestly, if modifying your registry is being considered as a reasonable fix for us who really read stratics on a regular basis, what does that bode for a casual player of this game?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, if modifying your registry is being considered as a reasonable fix for us who really read stratics on a regular basis, what does that bode for a casual player of this game?
Well to be honest, it's only necessary in order to get a 3rd Party App to play nicely with the UO client and patcher.

They certainly could have planned and tested this patch better considering most CC users use UOA. Then they could have provided some upfront warning as well.

Just one more perfect example of how little we, the paying customer/player, are considered in reality. They can say all they like about how everything they do is for the player. Well crap like this piled on top of all the similar previous crap like this just makes you want to call BS to their face when you hear that.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm still trying to get a sense of everything. I ran UOA as admin on Vista and the game patched fine. However, now when I start-up UOA (post-successful patch) it makes a client, which slows the patch check to a halt until I close the client. I close the client, which closes UOA, then click okay on the finished patch validation which creates a second client. Fun stuff.

When I start UOA I can't change the settings because there's no UOA splash. The UO client and patcher load up and that's it. Hm.

So then!! The solution--once you've patched, is to cancel the file validation 390 thing as soon as it comes up and just use the first client that pops up.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Parnoc: Right now the solution is don't use UO Assist long enough to patch up, then when done, go back to UO Assist and just kill the Mythic patcher when UOA starts the game up, as the patcher instance isn't linked to UOA, while the instance of UO that goes straight to the sign-in window is. Plus, the patcher started by UOA keeps starting up a patch of 1 file that was already finished (a weird bug interaction between it and UOA)

BTW, I'm still waiting for the Patcher (without UOA) to run over 30 seconds if the game's patched up. I call :bs:on the people claiming "minutes" for a no-update start-up, as I'm using a slow laptop, on a slow wireless connection, with about 70-100 ms lag to the patch server. In fact, I tested it 15 minutes ago, and got it to go from doubleclicking the icon, to sign-in page, TWICE, in less than a minute, including the time to close both after the tests.
I've timed patching without UO Assist now about 7 times this evening, using the second hand on the Windows clock. The fastest start-up time (from clicking the icon to getting the sign-on page) was 75 seconds, followed by a start-up time of 80 seconds, and then one for 105 seconds! All the other times have been in the 85-90 second range. I'm also on a slow laptop, with a slow wireless connection, with my latency to all the N. American servers being between 78 and 109ms.

If I had the ability to make a movie to prove it to ya, I would. But I don't. Guess you'll just have to take my word for it. Could be perhaps you live a little closer to the server? I'm in that Mountain time zone that so many people seem to think doesn't exist, for some reason....

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I patched on a computer using Windows 7 with no problem but on my computer with Vista it messed up

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I patched ... only thing is

if i load up like usual I get 2 log in screens one uo assist way and second the new one this patch gave......... I am confused but lucky i can close one and still run uoa

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I patched on a computer using Windows 7 with no problem but on my computer with Vista it messed up
I wonder if there's any rhyme or reason like 32 versus 64 bit OS. I don't have the heart to download the 440 patch on my Windows 7 laptop right now to test it but my Vista is a 32. Maybe 64 bit installs work nicer.

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have received reports that some players are having issues patching.
If you do not see the screen below when logging in, then you may have closed the patcher before you should have. Please verify your client is not open when you attempt to patch.

Continue reading...
I'm crashing and burning on this and can't log in today - I could log in yesterday on two different chars after I patched. Using XP and don't use UO Assist. The classic screen came up yesterday and I didn't stop it early. Today, when I 2x click on my UO2D decktop icon pretty much nothing happens.

I could use any tech help if anyone has it. There is a new folder on my desktop called logs but I haven't a clue what to do with it if anything. Thanks for any advice - this stuff always happens when ya have a full morning planned.

Jack Nickelson

S

Sevin0oo0

@ Barania: check properties on your icon to see where they are pointing. I didn't get any log folders - look inside and see what's in there, let us know.

@Basara, Patching, itself, on my fully patched box takes ~1min until the "Play" button lights up - (starting uo.exe)

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UOAM: Felucca and Trammel = black screen... anyone help? Tried locate the original client folder, still couldnt get it to work...

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm crashing and burning on this and can't log in today - I could log in yesterday on two different chars after I patched. Using XP and don't use UO Assist. The classic screen came up yesterday and I didn't stop it early. Today, when I 2x click on my UO2D decktop icon pretty much nothing happens.

I could use any tech help if anyone has it. There is a new folder on my desktop called logs but I haven't a clue what to do with it if anything. Thanks for any advice - this stuff always happens when ya have a full morning planned.

Jack Nickelson
Verify in your task manager that uo.exe or uo.bin is not currently running and try again.

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Jack Nickelson
*replies to himself*

Noticed that the target file for my UO2D icon shortcut is C:\Program Files\Siege\uo.exe. Think I changed something years ago for some reason and can't remember why. Is this my problem? Thanks again.

Jack Nickelson

Lord Obsidian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
UOAM: Felucca and Trammel = black screen... anyone help? Tried locate the original client folder, still couldnt get it to work...
I'm afraid not much you can do right now - with the new patch, they changed the format of the map files from .mul to .uop, which UOAM cannot read anymore; they broke it pretty hard with this change.
Only thing you can do for now is copy the old mapX.mul files from an unpatched install into your uo folder.

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well nice to know this now. i patched thru uoa. now i get a fatal message stating '' failed to open 'map0legacyMUL.uop' from HD using a maximum install. either this file is not readable, your system needs to be rebooted or the file does not exist and you either need to reinstall or switch to a non maximum install.

I have the same problem, nothing seems to solve it. Any suggestions? I really dont want to have to download and install again...

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mine still runs the ENTIRE patch/Publish everytime I log in AND then the Patch/Publish ends in ERROR

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone who has trouble patching, did you try to run the UO patcher with start as adminstrator option?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm afraid not much you can do right now - with the new patch, they changed the format of the map files from .mul to .uop, which UOAM cannot read anymore; they broke it pretty hard with this change.
Only thing you can do for now is copy the old mapX.mul files from an unpatched install into your uo folder.
Alot of people's map works fine, after they patched and faield patch a few times for some reason. mines just black too though.

S

Sevin0oo0

Normally, that means your map files (.bmp) that were there are now empty or missing. Even if you have them, I fear that it will not track anymore, least ways on mine it didn't - UOAM Officially Dead? R.I.P. Time for a better in-game map now

Lord Obsidian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Alot of people's map works fine, after they patched and faield patch a few times for some reason. mines just black too though.
The patch basically consists out of three steps:
First, it downloads patch 7-0-24-2 with the old patcher. Then, as soon as you press ok, it starts the conversion part (little black "dos box"). This will convert the files gumpart.mul, all 8 mapX.mul files and art.mul into .uop files, after which the original files will be deleted (!). Finally, it will launch the new patcher, which will download another ~444MB.
If you still got your original map files by now and successfully can get into the game, you have been lucky with your UOAM!

Edit: ah, I see. some people could have been able to circumvent the new map creation process of UOAM, which makes it using the old bitmap files it already got cached in its directory

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well to be honest, it's only necessary in order to get a 3rd Party App to play nicely with the UO client and patcher.

They certainly could have planned and tested this patch better considering most CC users use UOA. Then they could have provided some upfront warning as well.

Just one more perfect example of how little we, the paying customer/player, are considered in reality. They can say all they like about how everything they do is for the player. Well crap like this piled on top of all the similar previous crap like this just makes you want to call BS to their face when you hear that.
Well I have called 2 different numbers this morning to discuss this with EA Cust Rep and I was told the ONLY support provided for patch/publish ISSUES is online support at either EA.help or EA.support. When I explained that only results in email ping pong due to complexity of the issues I was told "that's unfortunate" but its all there is. I am on my last straw with all this. First Migration, then account hacked, ... now THIS! I am seriously considering packing away my most valuable "stuff" selling off Houses and closing ALL my accounts. Clearly EA from top on down could not possibly care less about us PAYERS!

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Guess we who have working maps are stuck with the snow then from now on...

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This is the same problem I have.We are cooked.

Regards
The Scandinavian

Quacklebush

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am also getting the error map0legacyMUL.uop' iv re installed twice and everything seems to run fine till it patches up.

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems they changed the keynames file also my numpad no longer works in classic client.

If you want a map to work make sure your using uoc - uo cartographer and build it with the enhanced client maps as they have allways been .uop files

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was able to copy the old map files from a High Seas beta client I still had. UOAM seems to work fine now but UOCart isn't quite right. The maps are showing but it doesn't show my position. Are there other files it needs besides the map.muls?

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems they changed the keynames file also my numpad no longer works in classic client.

If you want a map to work make sure your using uoc - uo cartographer and build it with the enhanced client maps as they have allways been .uop files
Oh will this help fix UO cart in the classic client too??

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i believe so yes afaik you need uoasist to be tracked by uoc and uoam.

So just tick the use ec maps in the uoc options and all should be fine