• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Reforging Work

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So what is everyone working on with reforging?

I'm working on a new luck suit for my tamer/mage. I am considering swapping out my AOF since the resist are so bad. I'd rather have a 190 luck 20 LRC piece than the 40% LRC 200 luck with no resist AOF. Just need to swap in one more 20 lrc piece but then the chest can have more mods like LMC and/or mana increase as well as some better resist.

Here are the sleeves...

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm working on a new luck suit for my tamer/mage. I am considering swapping out my AOF since the resist are so bad. I'd rather have a 190 luck 20 LRC piece than the 40% LRC 200 luck with no resist AOF. Just need to swap in one more 20 lrc piece but then the chest can have more mods like LMC and/or mana increase as well as some better resist.

Here are the sleeves...

Man, those sleeves are nice! I'm gonna have to look at my 190 suit and see how it stacks-up...
:bowdown:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Here are the sleeves...

Man, the LRC/LMC on these beat mine for sure...

So how's your neck slot? Here's mine:

Just sayin....

:eek:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I'm sure I know where this thread will likely go.... So let me get out my favorite piece (so far) - that has my char pleading with me to let her go banksit Luna and just stick it out there....

There, done! Now - let the games begin................

:gun::)

M

MYUO

IMO the best way to craft 190 luck armor is to burn barbed kits to get shame level mods with 150 luck, then enhance it with forged tool. It will take a lot of barbed kits to get it right, but I have reforged piece with 150 luck with 80-85 resists, or with 6-8 regeneration mods plus stat increase. So it is achievable. The key point is to use reforging to exceed the 500 intensity cap of imbuing so your item is immortal (both repairable and can be powdered).

Whether to use AoF is debatable. Theoritically, if you can make a luck tunic with mad mods and/or resist, it should function better than AoF. But from the perfectionist point of view, using AoF is the only way to get the highest luck possible in a suit.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMO the best way to craft 190 luck armor is to burn barbed kits to get shame level mods with 150 luck, then enhance it with forged tool. It will take a lot of barbed kits to get it right, but I have reforged piece with 150 luck with 80-85 resists, or with 6-8 regeneration mods plus stat increase. So it is achievable. The key point is to use reforging to exceed the 500 intensity cap of imbuing so your item is immortal (both repairable and can be powdered).

Whether to use AoF is debatable. Theoritically, if you can make a luck tunic with mad mods and/or resist, it should function better than AoF. But from the perfectionist point of view, using AoF is the only way to get the highest luck possible in a suit.
Can you please explain exactly what you are doing with the barbed kit to allow you to choose "Auspicious / Of Fortune" as a named mod? This option is greyed out / not selectable for me with a barbed kit as either a first or second named attribute. Are you just burning kits and hoping for luck?

Thanks!

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you please explain exactly what you are doing with the barbed kit to allow you to choose "Auspicious / Of Fortune" as a named mod? This option is greyed out / not selectable for me with a barbed kit as either a first or second named attribute. Are you just burning kits and hoping for luck?

Thanks!
I don't think that you can select "Auspicious / Of Fortune" directly with a barbed kit....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it's not been greyed out for me - then again, I have all the options except the brittle/CBR ones clicked before I go into the menu to select the prefix/suffix.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The barb kits do make some nice stuff. I have about 500 charges to burn on GL so making some crazy stuff.

Anyone want to guess what a fair price would be for something like this? Its 96 resist plus hci 4%. Non imbued so powder and lives forever....

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone want to guess what a fair price would be for something like this? Its 96 resist plus hci 4%. Non imbued so powder and lives forever....
I'm not sure you'll find it easy to sell that unless they raise the resist caps. It's easy enough to hit all 70's without using more than one resist. There is no LMC and having 4 HCI leaves you in need of getting 41 from other pieces.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure you'll find it easy to sell that unless they raise the resist caps. It's easy enough to hit all 70's without using more than one resist. There is no LMC and having 4 HCI leaves you in need of getting 41 from other pieces.
It makes it easier to hit all the caps and use something like Pendant of the Magi.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It makes it easier to hit all the caps and use something like Pendant of the Magi.
I managed to work in the pendant into an all-70s (still 70 even with protection cast), 40/100 2/6 40+ SDI suit (not counting my scrappers!) without even using Shame or reforged stuff, last year. This gives me the chance to tweak it even more, maybe even get rid of the 2 imbued armor pieces.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't done a lot with reforging but I have a luck suit that I'm planning out now. I was in need of some high resist lrc gloves and made these. They aren't really brag worthy but they turned out to be just what I needed.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't done a lot with reforging but I have a luck suit that I'm planning out now. I was in need of some high resist lrc gloves and made these. They aren't really brag worthy but they turned out to be just what I needed.
Well done, Shelleybean ! Would you mind posting the process (steps) you used for these?

:thumbsup:

E

elspeth

I managed to work in the pendant into an all-70s (still 70 even with protection cast), 40/100 2/6 40+ SDI suit (not counting my scrappers!) without even using Shame or reforged stuff, last year. This gives me the chance to tweak it even more, maybe even get rid of the 2 imbued armor pieces.
I would love to see what your suit looks like Basara if it's not a secret :)

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(Original post lost in Stratics mega-revert)

In the original lost post from yesterday I stated that the best results for Luck armor are not achieved with a Barbed Kit for multiple reasons that I don't feel like rewriting.

Here is what I made:

This set obviously goes with the Leurocian Mempo for 85/73/70/70/75

It took me a LOT of time to make because not a single point from Except crafting has been wasted: All those parts have a final weight over 700.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well done, Shelleybean ! Would you mind posting the process (steps) you used for these?

:thumbsup:
Ok, using a barbed runic, pick the following:
1) Powerful Reforging
2) Grand Artifice
3) Inspired Artifice
4) Exalted Artifice
5) Sublime Artifice
a) Fortified/Of Defense
b) Arcane/of Wizardry
It will take 6 charges. I was lucky because I only needed to use 2 barbed runics to get the desired results. :danceb:

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
(Original post lost in Stratics mega-revert)

In the original lost post from yesterday I stated that the best results for Luck armor are not achieved with a Barbed Kit for multiple reasons that I don't feel like rewriting.

This set obviously goes with the Leurocian Mempo for 85/73/70/70/75

It took me a LOT of time to make because not a single point from Except crafting has been wasted: All those parts have a final weight over 700.
Very nice Wizal. Can you walk me through how you did this? Type of kit used, which options chosen in the reforge menu, etc? I'm not understanding how you can get 700 weight on them if you craft, reforge, imbue and then enhance with spined.

Thanks!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would love to see what your suit looks like Basara if it's not a secret :)
I'll repost my suit with its new parts in a day or two.

M

MYUO

Using horned kit may get you 150 luck + 3 mama regen from reforging, but it wont give pieces like:
1) intl 4 mana 2, luck 150, lmc4%, LRC 25%,
2) kinetic Eater 12%, HPR 3, SR3, MR 2, luck 150,
3) luck 150 resist 19/17/22/11/21 (total 90 resist).
Blind buring with barbed kit can result in items with higher than 500 intensity before enhancing, and without imbuing, the item can be powdered over and over.

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very nice Wizal. Can you walk me through how you did this? Type of kit used, which options chosen in the reforge menu, etc? I'm not understanding how you can get 700 weight on them if you craft, reforge, imbue and then enhance with spined.

Thanks!
Horned Kit with Fortune package, No PowerReforging. Then you basically have 2 options:

- Either you select the Wizardry package. But due to the way the system is designed you will roll only 150 Luck with either MR3 or CastingFocus2, nothing else I believe (beside parts with less than 150 Luck of course). You can use this solution for one part, this is what I did on the Tunic. It leaves 2 slots and a weight of 100 to imbue, so 15 resists. Obviously you need to start with bases with 0 except points in at least one slot if you don't want to waste free except resist points by overimbuing them.

- Either you select the Defense package. This is what I did on all the other pieces but the Tunic, but this is extremely tricky:
Basically choosing the Defense package will roll Luck150 + ONE resist at +15 in about half the cases (in the other half it will roll 2 resists and under 150 Luck, you can of course trash those parts).

The catch is if the 15 points of resist from the package fall on a slot which already has free except resist points, the weight of those free resists will be accounted for so you won't be able to do an optimal piece.

The trick is thus to start with a base piece with 2 slots without any except points from the draw. This is about 0.1% of pieces crafted if I remember, so you will burn a lot of leather to get those working bases. So when you reforge you have 1 chance out of 2 to get the 150 Luck+1 resist distribution, and if this is the case then 2 chances out of 5 that the resist will fall on one of the 2 right slots (the ones with no except points), so this gives you a total of 1 chance out of 5 to succeed the reforging.
If successful, the piece will have 3 free slots and 250 weight to imbue: You will imbue the remaining "empty" resist slot and 2 other slots (usually LRC and LMC, but you can choose what you want). In the end you will have for example 5 slots with the following: 150 Luck, LRC, LMC, Resist1, Resist2. Note that the balance between Resist1 and Resist2 can be adjusted without loosing anything: you don't need to leave all 15 points from the Defense package on the slot they initially felt in, you can overimbue Resist1 and raise Resist2. This is very important because the ability to freely balance resists by pair on each part will allow you to build a suit without wasting any point.

In the end, use of course a Forged Metal Tool to enhance in Spined.
Each part will have 20 free resists from except crafting (none have been lost) + 5 free resists from Spined Leather + 40 free Luck from spined Leather + 500 normal imbuing weight, for a total of 133 + 33 + 40 + 500 = 706.

Finally, do the circlet last, it is the easiest part since you don't have to use any trick: you can get a plain 150 Luck with a copper hammer. You even get 1 more resist point because golden ingots adds 6 while spined leather adds 5. It also adds LowerReq30 even if you likely don't care :) But you can also still choose the ugly (and hardest to do) leather cap if you want of course.

Now, even if you do all this correctly, you will likely still need to craft a couple of extra parts, because having bases with 2 slots without free points is not enough, they have to be different on each part: if you use, say 4 parts with the "free" resist slots all beeing Cold and Poison, there is no way you will be able to get matching parts. I ended up crafting 8 perfect parts for the suit, so I have 3 extra ones (for a backup suit one day, who knows)

Using horned kit may get you 150 luck + 3 mama regen from reforging, but it wont give pieces like:
1) intl 4 mana 2, luck 150, lmc4%, LRC 25%,
2) kinetic Eater 12%, HPR 3, SR3, MR 2, luck 150,
3) luck 150 resist 19/17/22/11/21 (total 90 resist).
Blind buring with barbed kit can result in items with higher than 500 intensity before enhancing, and without imbuing, the item can be powdered over and over.
Blind burning on a barbed kit not only results in few Luck 150 items, but also most of them have a total weight under the one of an optimized imbued piece anyway.
In your 3 examples:
- the first is clearly under max imbuable weight (you can overimbue the lmc and the mana though, but then it's kinda pointless to have wasted so many barbed kits then)
- the third is also under max imbuable weight (but close). If you have only Luck 150 the max resists on an imbued piece is 15 + 20 + 5 + 15 * (500-150)/100 = 92
- the second is the only one with a weight over imbuable limits, but only because of the regenerations. Good luck getting the required LRC and resists and no losses in crap mods if you go that way for all parts
In any cases, even if you do one part like this, the horned kit would be the way to go for all others. I believe there are much more useful ways to burn barbed kits :)

M

MYUO

Nice write up Wizal. I see your point of maximizing the efficiency of horned kit to make the luck suit. However, when you do blind burning with barbed armor in the right way, you can create a pool of nice armors that can be used for not only mage luck suits, but also suits for pvp and serious pvm.
Given the forged metal tool at up to 2mil a charge and barbed kits are easy to come by, it is worthwile to shoot for mods beyond MR, LMC, LRC and resists.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wizal,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write up such an excellently detailed explanation!!! I had experimented quite a bit, but your post filled in a lot of gaps for me. Thank you again!!!

S.P.A

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been building a suit for the new Gargoyle mystic that I'm creating.

To make life tougher, I decided to use Cloth instead of Leather because I wanted to be able to dye it pure black using my dear old original black tub :)

Because it's cloth, you can use the forged metal tool to add the barbed benefits :(

And because it's a gargoyle, you only get 4 armour pieces, and you have to find nightsight somewhere.

So... with all that preample, here's what I made. I've not yet POF'd everything, but I will; since nothing is imbued, it is all infinitely repairable :)

Three of the cloth pieces were made using reforging, 6 charges each, using "Powerful", "Grand Artifice", "Inspired Artifice", "Exalted Artifice", "Sublime Artifice" to give these:

Then to get the Night Sight that I needed I just used the barbed runic in normal mode until I got something to complete the set; it's not perfect but it will do:

Then the jewelry slots, so important on a gargoyle, went to off-the-shelf items:

The shield is obvious for a mystic:

But then I found the most beautiful weapon for a gargoyle mystic:

I've put that together with a template reading:

Strength.....105
Dexterity.....25
Intelligence.125 [net 143]

Mysticism....120
Focus........100 [net 120 with ring]
Hiding.......100
Magic Resist.120
Stealth......100
Magery.......120
Meditation....60

Mana.........169
LRC..........100%
LMC...........47
FC.............2
FCR............5
SDI...........35%
MR.............6
HPR............7
DCI...........10

Mostly beautiful, but with hindsight, I should have used reforging with leather and then enhanced with barbed using the forged metal tool.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LMC...........47
I only counted 37 LMC on the pieces. 15 glasses, 10 PoM, 10 Orni, 2 Chest. Where do you get the other 10 from? What trinket are you using?

Regardless, that suit appears nicely done. Good work!

Z

Zolt

SPA: Thanks for the insight.

You wrote:
Because it's cloth, you can use the forged metal tool to add the barbed benefits

I think you mean to say:
Because it's cloth, you can *NOT* use the forged metal tool to add the barbed benefits

I am new to reforging. You said the pieces were made with reforging, each taking six charges. I assume that was with barbed runic kits, is that accurate?

I need to make a leather armor suit for my treasure hunting mage. Could you please give me an overview on how you would go about this? I will not be able to afford any high level jewelry or other artifacts. I am not looking for a good, all around set of armor, it does not have to be elite.

Thanks for any help.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Zolt:

Step 1: Make your items with a normal tailor. They can be exceptional, but must be made of regular leather or cloth. I'd consider making the headgear last, and making a hat type from cloth that is strong in your weakest resists and has little or no resists on a category you don't need. Barring that, use a smith to make a circlet, and use smith runics for reforging it. You REALLY don't want to wear a leather cap or ninja hood. IF your character will be carrying a shield, one can be made/reforged with the smith runics as well (I personally made some with regens and eater properties for my use).

2. Use all categories EXCEPT the 2nd & 3rd category trees - those are the ones that introduce Brittle and Cannot be repaired. If you make a cloth item, using the Brittle/CBR options will also make any special or reward cloth colored item revert to plain cloth.

3. By clicking through to grand artifice, you'll get to 6 charges used, and a prefix & suffix. Note that if you want to add luck, you'll need to use a horned runic, while things strong in about everything else are best reforged using barbed kits. If you go the circlet route for headgear or are making a shield, you'd want a bronze runic (maybe gold - not checked to see what the highest runic is that allows "of fortune") for a luck item, any runic gold or higher for non-luck items.

4. Powdering & enhancing are options after you're done and satisfied with the assembled suit as a whole. Possibly even Imbuing too, if made with a lower runic.

5. Remember any jewels will have to be artifact/special, imbued, loot, or the ML-crafted (random property) types, as you can't reforge Jewelry.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Wizal the Fox
How to make woodland armor with 5 hci 150 luck? I think I need use Ash runic with "Powerful" or Yew runic without "Powerful"... Am I right?

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wizal the Fox
How to make woodland armor with 5 hci 150 luck? I think I need use Ash runic with "Powerful" or Yew runic without "Powerful"... Am I right?
I don't think this is going to work because hci5 and luck150 are both over regular intensities. I suspect the only way to achieve this would be to use a high end saw (maybe Yew but probably Heartwood) and reforge with 2 random packages until you roll Fortune + Slaughter.