• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How important is the home in UO?

Would you stay in UO if we couldn't own our own homes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been thinking a lot lately about what all keeps me paying $14/mth for 4 accounts here in UO... Especially after seeing so many IDOC's this past week, not to mention the lack of players ingame for quite a while now.

After thinking about all the friends I once had here in UO, all the characters from all the accounts, all the changes to the game since I started in '98 - I've reached the conclusion that THE most important thing about UO that keeps me here, is my HOME. Yea, my HOME... I built it and I decorated it... I go out in my yard and it's like a trip down memory lane... Right there next to that rock is where I commited the suicide that I had to hear about for the next several years (***think walking thru Fire Fields raising Resist after about 2 days into playing, but just prior to understanding the need to have my healthbar up at all times***)... :eek:

Yea, if UO didn't allow us to have our own homes, I would have saved somewhere around $9000 US.... But that's over 14 years, and looking back, I'd do it all over again....

And finally, I'm curious enough about the rest of you (well this is gonna be a very bias'd poll if you guys don't recruit some of your friends that aren't "lurking" here in the UO Homes forum... if you get my drift) to see if you feel the same way....

Thus my Poll question: Would you play UO if we couldn't own our own home?

:)

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

6 accounts here. Why? Crazy... plus the love for the Atlantic community, for some reason. :) I could easily turn the whole town into 1 castle and 1 account, but that would take away a large player town that actually serves the community vs. just a single guild.

Plus I totaly love building houses, do for friends... work for gift cards to ebay/amazon, no joke... and totaly love rares and decorating. What's not to love?

The fact of having establishments, if removed from UO, would kill the whole game. Other games don’t have homes? Why bother? Just lame graphics that give you a headache and no sense of community.

*Need to update the S&L... its way more cute now. hehe

Razz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's the only thing that keeps me in game. but of course your poll will be a bit prejudice considering your posting this on the homes and castles thread =)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's the only thing that keeps me in game. but of course your poll will be a bit prejudice considering your posting this on the homes and castles thread =)
Exactly. Its like walking into a pub and asking "how important is beer?" Or "would you still be in this pub if it didnt sell alcohol"?

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me the home is the anchor that keeps me here. When most of my guildies left for other games it was my home that made me stick it out. Other activities in this game come and go (fishing, tailoring, Imbuing, hunting, etc), it's housing/decorating that's always kept my interest. Yes, it's startling to think of the real money (and virtual money) I've spent just so I can have a nice UO home, but I always justify it this way. For less than the price of a pizza, I can pay my monthly fee and have a virtual home to get away from the stress of real life. Okay, I have three accounts and may reactivate a fourth, so that's a few pizzas but you get the idea.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly. Its like walking into a pub and asking "how important is beer?" Or "would you still be in this pub if it didnt sell alcohol"?
rolleyes:rolleyes: Which is why I said:
(this is gonna be a very bias'd poll if you guys don't recruit some of your friends that aren't "lurking" here in the UO Homes forum... if you get my drift)
Glad to see 14/14 (100%) agree tho..... Who knows, we might just get lucky and some dev somewhere might agree too.... maybe we'll get more love for our home possibilities.... They did give us some new building materials a while back (***grumbles that we had to pay extra tho***).

:hahaha::love:rolleyes:

Colgarra

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For sure... it is my home that has kept me paying all these years. It's my peaceful, beautiful retreat from wordly nonsense...

rolleyes:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I couldn't say definitely yes or no. I love having a home in UO, and it is a very important aspect of the game for me. If we couldn't have our private little corner of the world to call "home", it's very possible I might not want to stay, in spite of my love for the game. However, if we couldn't have homes as we do now, even if we just had apartments to rent in towns and cities, I'd still stick around.

Razz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They did give us some new building materials a while back
I would be happy if they would take the existing tile sets and make them as versitile as the brick tile set and sandstone tile sets. It kills me when I find a nice tile set combo only to find out there isnt enough different tile designs in the tile set to complete my idea.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been thinking a lot lately about what all keeps me paying $14/mth for 4 accounts here in UO... Especially after seeing so many IDOC's this past week, not to mention the lack of players ingame for quite a while now.

After thinking about all the friends I once had here in UO, all the characters from all the accounts, all the changes to the game since I started in '98 - I've reached the conclusion that THE most important thing about UO that keeps me here, is my HOME. Yea, my HOME... I built it and I decorated it... I go out in my yard and it's like a trip down memory lane... Right there next to that rock is where I commited the suicide that I had to hear about for the next several years (***think walking thru Fire Fields raising Resist after about 2 days into playing, but just prior to understanding the need to have my healthbar up at all times***)... :eek:

Yea, if UO didn't allow us to have our own homes, I would have saved somewhere around $9000 US.... But that's over 14 years, and looking back, I'd do it all over again....

And finally, I'm curious enough about the rest of you (well this is gonna be a very bias'd poll if you guys don't recruit some of your friends that aren't "lurking" here in the UO Homes forum... if you get my drift) to see if you feel the same way....

Thus my Poll question: Would you play UO if we couldn't own our own home?

:)
exactly nothing more to say, it is my Home!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there was no houses then I would quickly loose interest. I've worked up from a tiny place to 18x18 and still not had the pleasure of keep or castle, so still working towards owning one of these!

I love designing and decorating my place. 50% of the game to me.

atlanticScorpion

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there was no houses then I would quickly loose interest. I've worked up from a tiny place to 18x18 and still not had the pleasure of keep or castle, so still working towards owning one of these!

I love designing and decorating my place. 50% of the game to me.
If you like decorating, then keeps and castles are not for you. Unless they make them customizable. Hint Hint (devs please find a way)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty much the only reason I play anymore is to decorate/design my house.

Keira

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the whole reason I have stayed with UO is the house. I have tried other MMORPGs but without an area to call my own, they tire very quickly. I love being able to have a shop that benefits the shard community (Rune Library and museum).

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I'd have voted but I missed it, but.. yeah, if there were no housing (and I'm guessing that no housing would mean less storage!), I'd have let my account lapse long ago. The threat of losing the house that I put so much time and virtual money into is what keeps my account open!

Like others have said, it's a nice escape from the real world sometimes (although lately I have been frustrated with the fact that none of the tilesets has the pieces I want to build the homes I want to build! Creativity will find a way, eventually...)

S

speedymunky

The housing is the reason that I have played UO for so many years. I have tried many other games online and offline, and none of them can keep my focus, the main reason being no personal space/connection to the game. (Another reason being the crafting options, and ability to make/do things that aren't just combat and combat related.)

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I missed the voting too but my answer would be no. The housing is probably my favorite thing about UO that I haven't found anywhere else. I just re-customized my house again today. I've taken pictures of my houses over the years and it's fun to see what I did, how BAD they looked sometimes, how GOOD they looked. And my greatest regret was closing my account for 4 years and losing all the rares that were IN my house.