• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

enough is enough !!

C

cravena

With the release of high seas i felt my fisherman could have FUN again... After all, new fishes, questing things for ps, etc... made me happy to give new goals to a low used character...

Alas, alas....

after literrally months of questing to get a 120 ps, i finally got one ! (thanks to a friend of mine). I started to fish everywhere and soon reached 120. Fair enough i thought now i can start the real big game fishing !!!

After a month and a half of daily fishing (around 3 hours per day) i must say that my fisherman will return to naphtalin for good.
Why ?
I caught most of the rare fishes (actually missing bull fish, crystal fish and lava fish - still broken as i heard - but NONE of the legendary ones !!!

I fished nearly everywhere we are supposed to find those (tram/fel/dungeons/tokuno etc...). I tried with and without baits (many charges wasted so far) and with or without the special suit from cleaning... obviously with both at the same time... NADA, NICHTS, NIENTE, NOTHING, RIEN... the only rare i got is a kingfish i got in 2010 !!!

Already mentionned how poor the implementation of this has been done but honnestly fishing non-stop shoes and prized fishes (up to 57 for 130 fishes - best mark ever) at 120 fishing (which took an insane amount of time to get) is just not FUN......

Thanks for trying Devs but count me out for now.... next time you have an idea on a booster just try to think of things a liitle bit more in depth before the release...

thanks in advance,
a retired fisherman

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I got a winter dragonfish, weight is blocked cuz there is a tournament going on. I have been fishing for 5-8 hours a day, every single day since then in Ice Dungeon and not one single Winter Dragonfish

Either someone thought it was a great idea to make them this hard *Shakes head in silence* or someone messed up... I wont even bother fishing for Legendary fish unless its an EM tournament, all it does it make a worthless pie...so really no reason to bother trying to 120 fishing anymore.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a winter dragonfish, weight is blocked cuz there is a tournament going on. I have been fishing for 5-8 hours a day, every single day since then in Ice Dungeon and not one single Winter Dragonfish

Either someone thought it was a great idea to make them this hard *Shakes head in silence* or someone messed up... I wont even bother fishing for Legendary fish unless its an EM tournament, all it does it make a worthless pie...so really no reason to bother trying to 120 fishing anymore.

I think that the fishing of rare fish could be a lot better if the fish baits actually gave a sound better chance at catching the pertaining rare fish.

As it is now, fish baits do not really make much of a difference. I did not try using them with a fisherman's suit but I heard other fishermen reporting that the suit does not help much with baits chances either......

Which is sad, since baits are the vast majority of fishing quests rewards and therefore, if they help too little, they will remain not much used at all which means, IMHO, spending countless time doing fishmongers' Quests pretty much for very little back....

If instead, fish baits would actually give a sound and effective help in raising the chances to catch up a rare fish, then all the extensive time spent doing fishmonger Quests would have been well spent......

Not to mention, the magic fish pies.....

They are already very hardly used for the little and short spanned bonus they give, considering how hard it is to catch the rare fish needed for them, and how expensive the other ingreadients are, basically they are vastly not used thus making this game addition wasted.

As a fisherman, I think an overhaul is needed here.......

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are lots of devoted fishers in UO. HS seemed great to us.. It still could be a nice thing to do but it soooo need improvements now when we have tried it out and see whats wrong. Fishing is time consuming and has boring components so the people that makes an effort here needs to be rewarded. Baits need to make big difference. Pies need to be useful and ingredients you have to buy to make them must be cheap. Books give clean up points again. Charybdis baits shouldnt be so rare. And Charybdis loot is so pityful you only do it for fun as long as you can get some crew togeather.

Fighting Charybdis is fun and the fishmonger quests are ok. If you have enough time to spend in UO to fish the crustaceans.. I have, but most people I know struggle there too. Mibs work fine.

For now I have to give up and hope for improvements in the future.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aye. Usually I am one for keeping rare things really rare...However:

1) The baits need to be more useful--maybe up your chances by 20%, not 1% or whatever the heck it is. Enough so we notice the difference.

2) Charbydis needs better loot and the stuff to get it needs to be a bit more accessible.

3) Special fish (prized etc.) either need to be nerfed down on how often you get OR made actually useful by increasing the timer. Useful enough so we can sell them.

4) Yes--what Minerva said :)

5) Pirate hunting needs to be a bit cheaper.

Seriously, High Seas is a WONDERFUL addition--but it does need a little bit of tweaking.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The prized fish (etc.) got a pretty good boost already. The three "buff" ones (the 4th acts as a refresh potion) now function as if a Strength, Agility or Cunning spell (respectively) cast by a mage with GM Evaluate Intelligence.

What they need to be worth anything, is the ability to STACK the damn things.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The prized fish (etc.) got a pretty good boost already. The three "buff" ones (the 4th acts as a refresh potion) now function as if a Strength, Agility or Cunning spell (respectively) cast by a mage with GM Evaluate Intelligence.

What they need to be worth anything, is the ability to STACK the damn things.
Aye--but does anyone successfully sell them? Maybe if they stacked or went into a commodity deed...

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
We have some hardcore fishermen on Chesapeake that have been competing in this "Winter Dragonfish" tournament and those I have spoken with caught none the entire month... I think that is a bit to rare

C

Conrad99

I got a Winter on Napa last month after 3 days of fishing Ice.

G

Gowron

Damn, I've been having a blast playing my fisherman. Doing quests doesn't bother me. I get a good amount of nets, MiBs and tmaps along the way. The SoSs have been well worth the effort it takes to fish them up.

We've got people actually playing pirates, and it's been a blast to hunt them down and engage them.

For those of you not enjoying the improvements to what existed before. I doubt that you'll ever be happy.