• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] My impressions of the arena system thus far.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far I have participated in 6 matches, three of which I created.

1. I too would like to see more limiting options for creating matches (i.e. no pots, no protection, no poison, etc...)

2. The menus could be a tad challenging for some people. (i.e. the wording on the buttons)

3. The arenas need to be a little smaller. Maybe a choice of small vs. large arenas, or one that scales with size. Legendary runners could have a clear advantage prolonging the inevitable grey screen.

4. Creating matches is nice, but why turn off seeing duel invites by default? In my opinion if you are hanging around the arena stone, you should expect to get an invite. Otherwise, hang out in the bleachers :)

I will test further, and try to get photo/video details of what I see. The system itself is very promising, and one I can stand behind 100% and have lots of fun with!:party:

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it would be better if they gave you full life when you get sent out of the arena that way warring guild cant res kill
fel based arena's will have problems with this

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

1. I too would like to see more limiting options for creating matches (i.e. no pots, no protection, no poison, etc...)

2. The menus could be a tad challenging for some people. (i.e. the wording on the buttons)

3. The arenas need to be a little smaller. Maybe a choice of small vs. large arenas, or one that scales with size. Legendary runners could have a clear advantage prolonging the inevitable grey screen.

4. Creating matches is nice, but why turn off seeing duel invites by default? In my opinion if you are hanging around the arena stone, you should expect to get an invite. Otherwise, hang out in the bleachers :)

I will test further, and try to get photo/video details of what I see. The system itself is very promising, and one I can stand behind 100% and have lots of fun with!:party:
Poison is a skill that need to stay (learn to deal with it)
Protection has its downside (no faster casting/recover)
Dexters Need pots to work there templates
Mages need to be able to cast poison also its part of there game play to stop healing.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poison is a skill that need to stay (learn to deal with it)
Protection has its downside (no faster casting/recover)
Dexters Need pots to work there templates
Mages need to be able to cast poison also its part of there game play to stop healing.
No one is suggesting they be removed from the game entirely, we're suggesting it would be nice to have the option to create a ruleset where they cannot be used in a particular fight.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then you will be putting to many constraints onto a characters template. Rather than stopping people use items/skills learn to deal with them and learn to pvp.

How can you stop a mage from casting poison?
How can you ask a dexter not to use Dex/str/refresh pots?
How can you stop a mage from casting protection, which is offset by slower casting/recovery?

Learn the game as its played on the field. At least this way you get to match your template against someone elses without the fear of getting ganked. That alone should be good enough.

1v1 or 2v2 its your template agains theres. Asking for restrictions on how a person has learnd to play is too unfair and makes no sence.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then you will be putting to many constraints onto a characters template. Rather than stopping people use items/skills learn to deal with them and learn to pvp.

How can you stop a mage from casting poison?
How can you ask a dexter not to use Dex/str/refresh pots?
How can you stop a mage from casting protection, which is offset by slower casting/recovery?

Learn the game as its played on the field. At least this way you get to match your template against someone elses without the fear of getting ganked. That alone should be good enough.

1v1 or 2v2 its your template agains theres. Asking for restrictions on how a person has learnd to play is too unfair and makes no sence.
That isn't the point. The poisoning reference is more geared towards the poisoning skill. Anyone who doesn't think level 5 poison is overpowered is either stupid or naive.

The limitations would be an OPTION, not required. Many 'pure' mages prefer to have duels without potions or consumables. Not my cup of tea, but the "mage 5" duel ruleset is fairly standard practice across all servers and PvPers.

If you don't want to fight with those rules, you don't have to. It is more about adding the option to do so if you wish to.

And you can't say "well just agree to that before the fight and follow through". If you select rank, and put a high wager down, and they could do whatever they want.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you put those options in as the creator of the duel, say a checklist of 3 main things, someone has the choice of accepting a duel on that level. The downside to this as an observer is rankings. It would be easier to run up the list of rankings towards #1 if you limited how hard it is for you to get there. I'd hate to see a dozen rankings lists of #1 w/out poisoning, magery, #1 w/out hiding, archery pot pouri.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That isn't the point. The poisoning reference is more geared towards the poisoning skill. Anyone who doesn't think level 5 poison is overpowered is either stupid or naive.

The limitations would be an OPTION, not required. Many 'pure' mages prefer to have duels without potions or consumables. Not my cup of tea, but the "mage 5" duel ruleset is fairly standard practice across all servers and PvPers.

If you don't want to fight with those rules, you don't have to. It is more about adding the option to do so if you wish to.

And you can't say "well just agree to that before the fight and follow through". If you select rank, and put a high wager down, and they could do whatever they want.
Ehh level 5 poison can be cured by magery (Vas an NoX) or chiv (Expor Flamus). So a dexter or a mage can cure lvl 5 poison easly. If you go into a fight with a Nox (add you skill here) without any way of curing then you deserve to die

There is no point in boasting you are the best pvper with a higher rank if you only take on the easy fights.

I never said anything about mages using Pots in a Mage dule. Pots are for dexters and they need them for there templates to work correctly, for a mage to disable these before a fight would give the mage a masive advantage.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree with one of the comments of making the arenas smaller, maybe keeping two the same and two small enough for no off screening. That way duelers can have a choice of on screen/off screening duels.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree with one of the comments of making the arenas smaller, maybe keeping two the same and two small enough for no off screening. That way duelers can have a choice of on screen/off screening duels.
I agree, you need to make at least 1 of them a bit smaller

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Winker said:
Ehh level 5 poison can be cured by magery (Vas an NoX) or chiv (Expor Flamus).
I have tried curing lethal poison with 105 chiv and 18k karma, and it took 4 tries the first time, 3 the next, and 6 the next. Poison is rediculous right now.

Nevertheless, this is not about how powerful a skill is, or whether it can be overcome. This is about what I see and my suggestions for making the arena more well-rounded. I encourage you to test and provide feedback as well.

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tried curing lethal poison with 105 chiv and 18k karma, and it took 4 tries the first time, 3 the next, and 6 the next. Poison is rediculous right now.

Nevertheless, this is not about how powerful a skill is, or whether it can be overcome. This is about what I see and my suggestions for making the arena more well-rounded. I encourage you to test and provide feedback as well.

Pretty sure you never fail curing lethal at 120 Chiv.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

120 chiv cures it every time without fail. Chiv is now skill based not Karma based now, so 18k karam counts for very little when using chiv now

You should not stop anyone using their template as it is set up. To restrict skills is just admiting their template is better than yours. The idea of pvp is, you do your best i do my best see who wins. A good pvper can take on and win against any template. A poor pvper would want to restrict the better player

and i have tested it, the area is too big and you get to place to many restricions IMHO as it is now without adding more.

Cypher2

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back to the topic....

I agree with more options to limit what can happen in a fight. You can either choose to accept a duel with those options, or decline, so why not have them.

Cypher

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back to the topic....

I agree with more options to limit what can happen in a fight. You can either choose to accept a duel with those options, or decline, so why not have them.

Cypher
Correct assessment, Winker doesn't seem to grasp that.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correct assessment, Winker doesn't seem to grasp that.
Ohh i grasp the fact that people want to weigh the odds in their favour and start putting restriction on their opponent.

Like i said, restrictions are fine, as long as it not a ranked match. IMHO if you place even 1 restriction the match should not be ranked. You would only want to place a restriction on your opponent if you thought you could not win otherwise.

Learn to over come your opponents template, each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ohh i grasp the fact that people want to weigh the odds in their favour and start putting restriction on their opponent.

Like i said, restrictions are fine, as long as it not a ranked match. IMHO if you place even 1 restriction the match should not be ranked. You would only want to place a restriction on your opponent if you thought you could not win otherwise.

Learn to over come your opponents template, each has its strengths and weaknesses.
I can't decide if you're the dude who goes into a duel with a greater dragon casting para fields around himself, or if you're the dude who joins a FFA match and smokebombs until there is one person left.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

I agree with this for the most part either break the rankings into categories for each of the option combinations or don't rank matches with restrictions
Otherwise players will farm the rankings (UO players are the best I have ever seen at tearing a system apart and finding weakness)

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My guild has been having a good time testing and fighting new people. I really hope that this server stays up for a long time after these are moved to prodo shards. I'm a bit shocked that ranged weapons are a option to remove as I have seen a few people get suckered into this and were left with no offense. I'd also like to see more options for rules and a window that shows the current rules by default(or is that there I can't recall). I have had a few people try to get me into the ring with 5 pet slots as the default, no thanks as I'm not giving up rank that easily.

Most of this has been a good time other than tamers and the fields...neither of which I'm much in favor of in a fight.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't decide if you're the dude who goes into a duel with a greater dragon casting para fields around himself, or if you're the dude who joins a FFA match and smokebombs until there is one person left.
Let me help you deside, i play an archer, a pure mage, a pary mage, dismount archer, a miner/smithy/tailor/alcemist and a Sampire.

With some of the proposed restriction i may as well play with my crafter :confused:

As i said have your restrictions but not in a ranked match. :thumbup: Ranking deservs effort or its worthless

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me help you deside, i play an archer, a pure mage, a pary mage, dismount archer, a miner/smithy/tailor/alcemist and a Sampire.

With some of the proposed restriction i may as well play with my crafter :confused:

As i said have your restrictions but not in a ranked match. :thumbup: Ranking deservs effort or its worthless
It is this simple:

If the proposed match has restrictions you don't like, don't accept it.

WOW!!!!

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't restrictions make dueling more fun? I'd rather face off against someone in a test of skill rather than who has the gimpiest template. If you want to play 'anything goes' then just stay in Yew...

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is this simple:

If the proposed match has restrictions you don't like, don't accept it.

WOW!!!!

Insted of trolling expain to us why you feel the need to restrict people. Then explain why these restriced matches should be ranked.

Trolling is easy, Just repeating the same line time and time again, just shows you have no agrument.

So come on tell me why you would need to restrict an oponent and then go on to tell us what the merrits are of having it ranked.

I give you a clear option, resticions on the menu as you wanted but it would be un ranked. Tell me why you feel that it should be ranked if you cant beat a player using his full template.

Im not saying you cant have restriction, but if you cant beat their template without them then you dont deserve the ranking for it IMHO

I take it your last statment of WOW means your a world of warcraft player, which would expalin why you want restrictions

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't restrictions make dueling more fun? I'd rather face off against someone in a test of skill rather than who has the gimpiest template. If you want to play 'anything goes' then just stay in Yew...
Every template no matter how gimp it is has its drawbacks. Lern to pvp insted of house hiding

P

P.W.N

Without been rude you seem to be talking about things you know nothing of my friend... the arenas don't need to be made smaller at all and like winker said earlier most chars but mages need potions so are you trying to create mages online again? most if not all templates will not work nor will they be any good against a mage without potions for stamina and str etc.. If you ask me the arenas are a complete waste of uo time and the time spent messing about would be better spent of stopping speed hacking and the use of 3rd party programs within the game..something that has never been sorted since the early days..the arenas are only any good if there is a uo tournament on or someone wants to prove hes better than another which is what they are intended but i don't think it will take off ie group fights etc.. people want to play and fight in game.. yew gate/dungeons and towns so they have open ground to pvp on... i'm tired of hearing the same old rants from people who don't pvp but yet want to change things in fel and such that won't affect them.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This forum is not for pvp posturing and will not be allowed also keep in mind we all need to remain civil pvp is supposed to take place in the arenas!
consider this a Warning

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This forum is not for pvp posturing and will not be allowed also keep in mind we all need to remain civil pvp is supposed to take place in the arenas!
consider this a Warning
More restrictions? Is this a ranked match with restriction or unranked :sad4:

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree that fights with restriction should either get their own ranking (for each combination that would be a lot) or just remain unranked. Otherwise that would be a distortion of competition.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every template no matter how gimp it is has its drawbacks. Lern to pvp insted of house hiding
Personal attacks just for stating my opinion? What has Stratics come to :(

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be neat if there was a series of small (say 7x7) arenas that were styled like a gladiator training area

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that's in no way a personal attack! But nice try, Maybe if you PvPed more you opinion on the subject would be worth more!

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep the PvP in game where it belongs. No board PvP allowed. Yes, it's a restriction. And it will absolutely be ranked. And it will be Storm or I that comes out top!

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that's in no way a personal attack! But nice try, Maybe if you PvPed more you opinion on the subject would be worth more!
Called out by a banksitter :sad4:

Well I'll just say that restrictions or no, I can't see anyone giving much of a damn about arena rankings (outside of friend Winker) since if people can't trick others into fighting them in heavily restricted duels then they will just 'duel' their alts to climb the lists for that coveted #1 spot ;)

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to see the option for no speed hack programs allowed. Since some people use programs to gain a clear advantage in casting a lot faster.

And yeah the arena needs to be smaller, i was stood in the middle of the arena and someone was able to offscreen when low.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to see the option for no speed hack programs allowed. Since some people use programs to gain a clear advantage in casting a lot faster.

And yeah the arena needs to be smaller, i was stood in the middle of the arena and someone was able to offscreen when low.
What duel were you in that someone off screened from you? There are walls and a defined spot where a person cannot go any further, ranged anything keeps any other player within distance(spell,arrow or garg). As for speeding in all my years of playing I have never seen anyone cast faster save for when 2/6 was unrestriced. They might be moving fast but not casting, sorry.

T

TurboTimmy

What duel were you in that someone off screened from you? There are walls and a defined spot where a person cannot go any further, ranged anything keeps any other player within distance(spell,arrow or garg). As for speeding in all my years of playing I have never seen anyone cast faster save for when 2/6 was unrestriced. They might be moving fast but not casting, sorry.
Risso is right. I agree with this completely.

Also, I think Lynk is spot on with his suggestions. added restrictions are an option that can be used when wanted. They are a benefit for those who want to use them, or can be completely ignored by those who do not.

Does anyone here honestly enjoy fighting someone who has a greater dragon in a confined space? No, probably not. That's why they added a potential restriction on follower slots.
What the hell is so wrong with adding more restrictions for stuff that a good majority of people understand is ridiculous?

A true test of a player's skill is to match his or herself against another player with the same exact template.

Now if Winning regardless of the tactics used is your definition of the better player... well then just ignore my post all together.

Overall: the arena system is pretty cool, and nice little addition to UO.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem with adding too many restrictions though, is that some people will inevitably have more balanced chars/suits for dueling. I'm not going to name names, but lets take Europa, some people refuse to duel me when i have "over 10 hpr" when they themselves will enjoy a ton of MR where i've sacrificed MR for HPR.

Perhaps a default dueling suit and template should be available for players when entering?

(and yes you can cast faster with a cheat program however i'm not allowed to name it)

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mervyn is correct, I too play the same shard as him and can tell you for sure, the players who use speeder programs cast faster also. I too have been on the end of it quite a few times.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if players are using programs to 'cheat', its simple really.. as far as I'm aware all these 'cheat' programs require the CC so.. make the Arena EC only!

Penana Car

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if players are using programs to 'cheat', its simple really.. as far as I'm aware all these 'cheat' programs require the CC so.. make the Arena EC only!
Just impose a tiles per second speed cap across the entire game based on a dev's estimate using quad core with a good video card and low ping and the cheating goes away.

A good, mindful pvper should be able to out do automating progams with UOA (an approved app) and good hand-eye coordination.