• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just so everyone is aware...

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As some of you may have noticed, I haven't been available on ICQ for a while now. The reason for this is because I detest the actual ICQ UI with a passion, and I have yet to find a 3rd party program that I like that doesn't also turn my computer into a stuttering piece of crap. Since I really only use ICQ for trading purposes these days (95% of my game related communications are via Stratics, Facebook or in game), it's not a big deal to go without it.

So, bottom line is if you need to contact me for something, ICQ might not be your best bet. Either use the PM system here, find me in game, or PM me for my facebook info (If I like you enough, I might give it to you :D).

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trillian is my weapon of choice.

TONS better on my slow-arse laptop than ICQ, and I can talk to my MSN contacts and Skype contacts with only one program open (well, two since the skype client opens when I want to video chat).

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was using Trillian, but then I tried that Pidgin, it was the best of the bunch, but it still hung me up a bit. This weekend (if I can find the time) I'm planning to do a backup and reformat of my computer and possibly add some RAM.

I think something is causing a bit of a software conflict. There's other tell-tale signs of problems, and as far as Kaspersy is concerned it's not a virus. But for some reason any IM software makes everything worse.

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pidgin ftw.

All I've used for a number of years now.

Nice UI that is very light on resources, and lets you add any, and multiple chat accounts from pretty much any service (ICQ, yahoo, AIM, hotmail, etc).

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was using Trillian, but then I tried that Pidgin, it was the best of the bunch, but it still hung me up a bit. This weekend (if I can find the time) I'm planning to do a backup and reformat of my computer and possibly add some RAM.

I think something is causing a bit of a software conflict. There's other tell-tale signs of problems, and as far as Kaspersy is concerned it's not a virus. But for some reason any IM software makes everything worse.
-Boot into safe mode w/ networking (press f8 before windows to get there)

-Download and run "TFC" by OTL (google OTL TFC and you will find it)

-Delete old system restore points by disabling system restore, then re-enable.

-Lower amount of disk space system restore can use to around 6%

-Run "cleanmgr", as it will find some things TFC missed, as well as compress old files, potentially freeing up a lot of disk space which could improve performance. Make sure you check all available boxes that show potential to free up space.

-Download and run "superantispyware portable" scanner. Doesn't need installed...just run the .exe and do a full scan.

-Disable Kapersky's real-time scanner, firewall, etc

-Download and run "combofix". (easy enough to find on google)

-Download, install, and run Piriform's "ccleaner". Run it's disk cleanup as well as registry tool.

-Re-boot, re-enable kapersky

I bet your computer will be running better if u do all this.

Could also disable some visual features, and/or unneeded start-up items and windows services to improve performance. Also, make sure your page file is set properly.

NOTE: Make sure you know all your logins/passwords for any websites, as TFC will wipe out everything in your cache including saved passwords, etc.

If your computer is old/slow, I'd consider doing away w/ Kapersky, even though it's one of the best AV's out there. Comprehensive security suites tend to really bog down old/slow systems, and some of the free ones (avast is my current favorite) work just as good. I use free Avast, and Comodo's standalone software firewall. Add in the periodic scan with superantispyware portable, and/or malwarebytes antimalware and you will be fine.

Feel free to PM or ICQ me if you have any questions. I am an IT field tech, so sadly, I do this stuff for a living.