• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

*SPOILER* client 7.0.18

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have no anymore:

Abyssal Red Pet Dye
Abyssal Gold Pet Dye
Abyssal Teal Pet Dye
Abyssal Pet Dye

We get this instead:

Hunter Green Pigment
Lavender Pigment
Phoenix Red Pigment
Slate Blue Pigment

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
thank god for no pet dye!! but i can only assume these are the type of colours they planned to have for pet dyes! and its why they are only one use!! they just changed the name of them

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe pet dyes will be temporary Halloween content :p ... you know itll come up again

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pet dyes were the worst idea they'd ever had. Period.

The dipped-your-dragon-in-paint look was terrible.

Perhaps...if they upgraded pet art so "dyes" would only color part of the pets or there was at least some contrast between bits of the animal...it might be acceptable.

However, since people had a meltdown over the sheep, this will never happen. New art = angry luddites.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as the colors stay tasteful........ Pet dye would Awesome with those colors.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would not mind to have my Greater Dragon dyed like a WW or the blue from the frost dragons from the T-Maps. :)

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i want pet dyes man,im tired of all the same colored pets,i want a blaze dragon,or neon red dread

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I kind of liked my blue hue G Dragon on test.... he was nice looking and i could tell him apart from the other peoples at hunts.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
pet dyes would be great if the were natural colors,last time I checked there was more than 2 colors for dragons

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want pet dies. The game is already coulourful enough, why not let us throw a splash of paint on our pets. If you don't like the look of them, stop bank sitting at Luna.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I also vote yes for pet dyes... if they are the colors listed above.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe instead of a dye that completely change color of the pet, move on to the concept of war paint for pets.

It would take some work, but I think the result would be better.

Maybe add an option to turn on new pet colors in user options? It might be better received if people can just turn it off on their end if they don't like it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pet dyes.... I have a feeling that since the art department can't handle dying most items without the 100% amateur paint swap that looks TERRIBLE... dying a pet (as from the pictures provided last time this concept came up) is going to be totally hideously UGLY. Dying pets without contrast is disgusting and until they can do it right I hope the heck that it's NEVER implemented.

Now... if by some miracle the art team is actually able to have decent dye that doesn't look like my 3 yr old Granddaughter did it... then by all means lets do it... I'm all for it... but for the love of the game PLEASE Not until it is done right.

Roland Of Gilead

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i vote yes to pet dyes too its pretty simple for people not to use em if they dont like em.....no reason the tons of us that like the idea shouldnt be able to use em!!

H

HongKongCavalier

pet dyes would be great if the were natural colors,last time I checked there was more than 2 colors for dragons
I would much rather see different color dragons spawning, but not just as cosmetic differences. Maybe give different color dragons different resist strengths or breath attacks (red dragons would have fire breath, green dragons poison breath, etc.).

But if that's not going to happen, then by all means let us dye them. I'm sure they will at some point, but wouldn't be surprised if we wind up paying for them as a gamecode.

H

HongKongCavalier

i vote yes to pet dyes too its pretty simple for people not to use em if they dont like em.....no reason the tons of us that like the idea shouldnt be able to use em!!
It's simple for people not to use them, but the issue is with others who don't want to see them. Maybe the devs can keep everyone happy by putting a pet dye kill filter switch in the game so others wouldn't have to see other's dyed pets.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's simple for people not to use them, but the issue is with others who don't want to see them. Maybe the devs can keep everyone happy by putting a pet dye kill filter switch in the game so others wouldn't have to see other's dyed pets.
and a hair dye filter and a house filter and a player filter... if they put in one filter you would have to put in a filter for them all. Give color police a rope and they will want to be cowboys. Dull brown and dingy black cowboys.

Edit: Not directed at HongKongCavalier

color police :talktothehand:

Man, you guys/gals fell for the bait hook line and sinker. Don't worry all. Your continued crying about the digital armageddon of pet dyes has been heard and the minority of players that you are have succeeding in making sure the rest of us get nothing instead of what isn't perfect(in your eyes.) Maybe what you need is a signature to express your true colors on the subject... :stir:

5% Luck

The only implementation of pet "dyes" I could stomach would be along the lines of battle paints. If ya ever players dragon age and the battle paint you could apply to the dog would be, meh kinda ok i guess. Aside from that I am liking the new dyes and am still unsure as to their value.

I got blue and red on my accounts. One per account since only the 1st logged in got the dye I assume each char has a chance at a color or its random IDK i just feel lucky I got the 2 I was most wanting.

P

pgib

war paints, pet armors and alike would all require new textures and 2d sprites (if not new models). The fact that 99.9% of new monsters are existing mobs rehued should tell us how many resources the team has in the art area. So it is either pet-dye or pet-nothing. I saw a rehued greater dragon in game and, in the EC, it looked abysmal but it is a choice to apply or not the optional color so i vote for it.

B

Barry Manilow

What a bummer on the pet dyes. Doesn't matter what is the subject there will be people that don't like something.

Maybe in the future we can see some pet dyes.

enderz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Blaze cloth, Glacial hair dye, Invulnerability Blue & Dryad Green all ruin my sense of immersion in game, pls remove.

Let's remove all offensive colors to people so we can play in just earthy browns, green and iron.

I was really looking forward to, after what 14 years, we would finally be able to reasonably dye our pet so there might be a sense of individualism to them like everyone else does with their weapons/gear.

I find it highly hypocritical that a character can run by me colored like a flaming clown, yet my pet has to always stay red or grey cause it offends the clowns.

:pie:

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Blaze cloth, Glacial hair dye, Invulnerability Blue & Dryad Green all ruin my sense of immersion in game, pls remove.

Let's remove all offensive colors to people so we can play in just earthy browns, green and iron.

I was really looking forward to, after what 14 years, we would finally be able to reasonably dye our pet so there might be a sense of individualism to them like everyone else does with their weapons/gear.

I find it highly hypocritical that a character can run by me colored like a flaming clown, yet my pet has to always stay red or grey cause it offends the clowns.

:pie:
funny, i bet the haters all have those colors on there vendors outfits too :)

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pet dyes.... I have a feeling that since the art department can't handle dying most items without the 100% amateur paint swap that looks TERRIBLE... dying a pet (as from the pictures provided last time this concept came up) is going to be totally hideously UGLY. Dying pets without contrast is disgusting and until they can do it right I hope the heck that it's NEVER implemented.

Now... if by some miracle the art team is actually able to have decent dye that doesn't look like my 3 yr old Granddaughter did it... then by all means lets do it... I'm all for it... but for the love of the game PLEASE Not until it is done right.

Interesting side note, the art team doesn't do the dye colors. Don't ask me why, we just haven't. Dying is handled by Design. It has since I joined the team many moons ago. As a point of trivia (i.e. useless information), I'm against dying in general, but I'm against making 12 different "one-off" versions of assets more, so dying wins. In addition, I think the dye colors that design has been putting out lately have been WAY better than the ones I've seen in the past. I know for certain a lot more work has been put into it.

-Grimm

Apetul

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting side note, the art team doesn't do the dye colors. Don't ask me why, we just haven't. Dying is handled by Design. It has since I joined the team many moons ago. As a point of trivia (i.e. useless information), I'm against dying in general, but I'm against making 12 different "one-off" versions of assets more, so dying wins. In addition, I think the dye colors that design has been putting out lately have been WAY better than the ones I've seen in the past. I know for certain a lot more work has been put into it.

-Grimm
Sorry but.. come on, really? Art Team, Design Team? we already know there is no one on the supposedly "QA Team".. so, how many *unique* people is working on each team? (by unique I mean people that isnt part of another team).

Again... Art Team, Design Team, Dev Team, QA Team... seems to me there are more "Teams" that actual people working on them.
Please, grimm, explain some to us since there is no boss (producer) right now :lick:

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry but.. come on, really? Art Team, Design Team? we already know there is no one on the supposedly "QA Team".. so, how many *unique* people is working on each team? (by unique I mean people that isnt part of another team).

Again... Art Team, Design Team, Dev Team, QA Team... seems to me there are more "Teams" that actual people working on them.
Please, grimm, explain some to us since there is no boss (producer) right now :lick:
Well, that presupposes you know how many people are on the team. ;-)
Obviously, we don't discuss team member counts, but each of our teams are staffed. I've worked on 100+ person teams as well as a team of 3. So while the UO team isn't by any stretch the largest team I've worked on, I've worked on much smaller as well. I believe most of the others on the team can say the same.

-Grimm

Anira Cuilwen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would anyone want to dye anything else than items?

Oh yes I know, they want to unique.
I've seen versions of uo with neon dragons and other crap. Hell please no!
Let pets spawn in more natural looking varying shades and improve their looks.

On a side note: I know lot of people with neon looks and such. They all have one in common. They play uo for themselves or for profit, no single of them has a slight understanding about what a roleplaying game is. It's the same discussion like "how am I supposed to solo this" or "which template is best to solo..." ehrm uo is a mmo, group with friends have fun. If I want to play alone I can just do any single player game around *laughs loudly*

So if you want a neon green dog just try it on your pet at home and see for how long you like it ;)

P

Pandora of Baja

A pure black greater dragon would be great....I could really role play with my greater dragon being pure black

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

-Grimm
Grimm.... where is the fix for the Gargoyle burlap bag that is supposed to be my robe???

Ok so you don't handle the fiasco... I wouldn't want to put my name on a lot of that either.

Yes I will agree the dye colors have been good.... though I'm happier they finally got some that aren't NEON bright.... like I want my boat painted all nice and pastel...... NOT.

However that does NOT change the fact that the hueing is HORRIBLE...

No one wants things rehued into something that is just a monocolored blob... YUCK.

And as for the dyes..... yes thanks for giving me the impression I'd be able to make use of something and then dashing it with a SINGLE use dye....

Totally and 100% slap in the Face... am I upset... a bit.... surprised ..... Not really it's exactly the kind of disappointment I've become accustomed to..... Disappointed.... You bet... Pleased.... Not on your life... appeased..... not on your life... Feel let down... sure...

So now not only am I getting taxed.... I'm getting over taxed.... where I shouldn't..... I have to deal with my accounts being subjected to turmoil.... I have to NOT been able to update or upgrade accounts for weeks on end... had to call service 10 times just to fix the CC info on the accounts... several lost a character that they couldn't play for quite awhile.... others couldn't even LOG IN..... missed out on all sorts of events and items and things...... and we get a single use bottle of dye we can't even choose the color of.... and we are supposed to be "happy" about that???

*sighs*... I can't even come close to describing my level of disgust with the DEV's.

I don't care WHO's Fault it is or who does what... Not happy.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Pet dyes were the worst idea they'd ever had. Period.

The dipped-your-dragon-in-paint look was terrible.

Perhaps...if they upgraded pet art so "dyes" would only color part of the pets or there was at least some contrast between bits of the animal...it might be acceptable.

However, since people had a meltdown over the sheep, this will never happen. New art = angry luddites.
"Worst idea ever" ... but YOU can "fix it"? :lol:

btb: luddites >don't use computers< ... thilly :danceb:

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would anyone want to dye anything else than items?

Oh yes I know, they want to unique.
I've seen versions of uo with neon dragons and other crap. Hell please no!
Let pets spawn in more natural looking varying shades and improve their looks.

On a side note: I know lot of people with neon looks and such. They all have one in common. They play uo for themselves or for profit, no single of them has a slight understanding about what a roleplaying game is. It's the same discussion like "how am I supposed to solo this" or "which template is best to solo..." ehrm uo is a mmo, group with friends have fun. If I want to play alone I can just do any single player game around *laughs loudly*

So if you want a neon green dog just try it on your pet at home and see for how long you like it ;)
Wrong. Obnoxious and eliteist. Typical color police attitude.

I've been roleplaying in UO and the real world(imagine that) for 30 years. Colors don't intimidate my ability to roleplay. If anything they enhance my options like anything can in regards to roleplaying if one has the imagination and ,most importantly, an open mind.

Anira Cuilwen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wrong. Obnoxious and eliteist. Typical color police attitude.

I've been roleplaying in UO and the real world(imagine that) for 30 years. Colors don't intimidate my ability to roleplay. If anything they enhance my options like anything can in regards to roleplaying if one has the imagination and ,most importantly, an open mind.
:D

Nah, am not. Think it is a matter of taste and weather it suits.
Maybe it's just me that dislikes the thought of neon dragons ;)

But I really see no sense in dying pets. It would be much more fun if they would just spawn in more different natural colors. Maybe some real rare ones too.
I see it this way:
If I can hunt for a pet colored like I dream of it is fun.
If I get a pet dye, I dye it and that's it. And then, there might be a special color and -pop- everyone has a glacial hued dog or dragon or whatever in whatever rare color is in at that moment. Doesn't excite me at all.

So.. no pet dyes please. Improve them. Let them spawn in more good!! colors. But no dyes, that's just boring.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Grimm
This makes sense. Design team is probably the ones that don't play the game or never have. Somewhere in the team architecture is a group that doesn't know anything about UO. Based on the compassion dyes implementation it would point the finger at the design team.

Makes me wonder if they were the ones that created the original tokuno dyes that were soooo horrible. Horrible enough to be sold in the UO store that is. :coco:

enderz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Not every dye for a dragon has to look obnoxious like that on say maybe a free shard that haunts you.

I would totally comprise on Dragons spawning naturaly with a varying assortment of "agreeable" tones.

Cu-sidhes & Hyru's do it.

H

HongKongCavalier

and a hair dye filter and a house filter and a player filter...

color police :talktothehand:

Man, you guys/gals fell for the bait hook line and sinker. Don't worry all. Your continued crying about the digital armageddon of pet dyes has been heard and the minority of players that you are have succeeding in making sure the rest of us get nothing instead of what isn't perfect(in your eyes.) Maybe what you need is a signature to express your true colors on the subject... :stir:
Uh... what bait?

I'm for pet dyes; see my post above the one you just quoted (which you somehow quoted completely and out of context at the same time, which is a really neat trick!).

And that's why I think there should be a filter, because we won't get pet dyes unless there's a filter because of the opposition, in my opinion. Just like we would never get a new client or any other upgrade without people being able to opt not to use it. I don't agree with it, but that is the reality of this game now.

Personally, I don't care if pets, people, or houses can be dyed neon color in game. I think even neon can be done well. All it takes is some shading in the right areas, and contrary to what some say, UO does have talented art and design teams that are capable of that.

And by the way, I don't think a minority is holding pet dyes back. I think there are two minorities for and against debating this here. The majority of players still just play the game.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And by the way, I don't think a minority is holding pet dyes back. I think there are two minorities for and against debating this here. The majority of players still just play the game.
That's funny. I seem to remember the actual vote and how it ended. You know, with the slight majority for the proposal. How when the voting started it was overwhelmingly for the dyes and how toward the end a small group of people campaigned(very successfully) against it. Yea....let's talk about history some more. It's fun!

I hope I quoted you okay this time and apologize for misquoting earlier.

H

HongKongCavalier

That's funny. I seem to remember the actual vote and how it ended. You know, with the slight majority for the proposal. How when the voting started it was overwhelmingly for the dyes and how toward the end a small group of people campaigned(very successfully) against it. Yea....let's talk about history some more. It's fun!

I hope I quoted you okay this time and apologize for misquoting earlier.
Can't argue with that. But if the devs base decisions on player feedback, I wish they would run their own polls in-game at the start-up screen and not rely on Stratics (and not allow multiple account holders multiple votes, btw). That would probably be the truest representation of how the player base feels. But if a vocal minority is going to influence the game in this and other instances, just let them filter out what they don't like.

This is one situtation though where the devs can just walk around any shard and look at how players dress and draw their own conclusions. Most players they will see don't have a subdued fashion and color sense to put it mildly, so I think most would be ok with pet dyes.

But I just can't imagine people getting that worked up against pet dyes. Against pet dyes done poorly, maybe, but not the actual concept itself.

By the way, you didn't misquote me, but I guess you didn't see my earlier post and don't care for the filter concept. Sorry if I was snippy though.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, that presupposes you know how many people are on the team. ;-)
Obviously, we don't discuss team member counts, but each of our teams are staffed. I've worked on 100+ person teams as well as a team of 3. So while the UO team isn't by any stretch the largest team I've worked on, I've worked on much smaller as well. I believe most of the others on the team can say the same.

-Grimm
I dont understand why you or any other guy working on the game cannot discuss about team member counts, # of teams, etc... what are you afraid of?
More information about how many people really work on this game would surely help on players expectations. What if the large playerbase just finds that no more than 8 people is working on the entire game, distributed on art, design, coding and management duties? no one will quit just for that, and that will help to understand why a oversized sheep appears on CC after a patch, or why some bugs take months to gets a fix or why this thread still exists.
Just a thought.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If there were ever pet dyes.. they better be either:

A.) War paint

B.) Natural colors

T

Tazar

I dont understand why you or any other guy working on the game cannot discuss about team member counts, # of teams, etc... what are you afraid of?
More information about how many people really work on this game would surely help on players expectations. What if the large playerbase just finds that no more than 8 people is working on the entire game, distributed on art, design, coding and management duties? no one will quit just for that, and that will help to understand why a oversized sheep appears on CC after a patch, or why some bugs take months to gets a fix or why this thread still exists.
Just a thought.
If I am correct, an accurate count would be virtually impossible to achieve. How many work full time exclusively on UO?
How many are shared between 2 or more games?
How many migrate from game to game as needed?
How many work for sub-contractors doing artwork, etc.?
How many Etc...

Do you include community relations?
Do you include customer service?
Do you include GM Staff?
Do you include EM Staff
Etc...

Without knowing these details and a lot more, any answer would be meaningless. If you want a real count, the best we can get is looking at Dev Names on X-mas Cards or Pumpkins.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What the "art team" does do, however, is completely ignore the fact that UO's client system has a way of dying only specific parts of objects as long as they are properly presented in grayscale.

Instead, the art team more typically says, "Here's the item I'm putting into the game... I know I've chosen to render it as purple, and I know that will cause the dying system to screw up how it looks when died, but I'm an artist, and thus my vision must be so!"

Or, in other words, the art team fails to recognize the intricate system that is in place to make multi-hued items possible.

Not sure why, but you only have to look at every wearable item in the client since UO:SA to see it is true.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad we have no pet dyes. Still wish they would allow an occasional Greater WW to spawn.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't argue with that. But if the devs base decisions on player feedback, I wish they would run their own polls in-game at the start-up screen and not rely on Stratics (and not allow multiple account holders multiple votes, btw). That would probably be the truest representation of how the player base feels. But if a vocal minority is going to influence the game in this and other instances, just let them filter out what they don't like.

This is one situtation though where the devs can just walk around any shard and look at how players dress and draw their own conclusions. Most players they will see don't have a subdued fashion and color sense to put it mildly, so I think most would be ok with pet dyes.

But I just can't imagine people getting that worked up against pet dyes. Against pet dyes done poorly, maybe, but not the actual concept itself.

By the way, you didn't misquote me, but I guess you didn't see my earlier post and don't care for the filter concept. Sorry if I was snippy though.
If only we could have an in-game voting system. This would be great. Then the people who don't play the game couldn't chime in with their non-paying opinions. This has always been a problem IMO.

You would be surprised how worked up people got when they suggested the pet dyes. YOu are only getting a snippit right now. There were whole guilds that came to the board and cried like there was no tomorrow. They even made board sigs to show their displeasure. They mounted a campaign against the colors and got enough of a stink put up that they canned the whole idea. It was going to be a reward when SA was implemented. Some people even had them during the beta.

People wear the most ludicrous of colors on every shard. From my experience the color police are an extreme minority and when I talk about them in-game people don't understand them either. It's only on the boards you see these people in great number. This is where the most vocal players exist however. I'm confident you are right in the belief they are indeed a minority and the ones who don't board battle don't give 2 squid about who wears what or whether their house is a square or not.

It's not that I don't like the filter concept I just don't think it's practical in regards to development time. It would take much more effort to add the filter option than it's worth to put in the dyes. Basically it comes down to we can do it this way or no way. The no way crowd won.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I am correct, an accurate count would be virtually impossible to achieve. How many work full time exclusively on UO?
How many are shared between 2 or more games?
How many migrate from game to game as needed?
How many work for sub-contractors doing artwork, etc.?
How many Etc...

Do you include community relations?
Do you include customer service?
Do you include GM Staff?
Do you include EM Staff
Etc...

Without knowing these details and a lot more, any answer would be meaningless. If you want a real count, the best we can get is looking at Dev Names on X-mas Cards or Pumpkins.
Last time, if i remember correctly,.. they added EM staff names on pumpkins, probably because its too embarrasing the small number of people working on the game right now.

And yes, I would like to know how many people work on UO and im sure they know exactly whats the exact count.
The list could be as simple as: (just an example of course, it doesnt really matter if the people work full or part time or if they are sub-contractors, hey.. even their real names are not important info for the players)

manager team: 1 producer, 1 team manager
dev team: 3 devs
client dev team: 1 dev
art team: 2 people
etc
QA team: MIA

anyway, it is evident that they dont want to share that info with us so we are just wasting time writing these posts. It was just a thought, a wish.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
why dont they let messana handle all the items and dye's, shes got crap allover the place anways, of course shed have to splatter her name on it so it can be become a rare instantly.and btw most of her stuff is an eyesore too look at, color wise.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ned Ludd was right

Yeah!!! Damn that air conditioning! And refrigerators... who needs 'em! or water heaters, or....

:p