• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New High End Pets?

P

pgib

I know i'm not going to like the answer but... does anyone know if we can expect some new "high end" pet in the near future?

Not that i'm not grateful for the greater dragon (i could craft a statue to celebrate its designer) but, you know, a little variation every once in a while - let's say four years - wouldn't be that bad.

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be happy if they fixed some of the other pets in the game to be useful, some are already high slot creatures so can be made to be usefull for the slots they take.

P

pgib

Let's face it: we know that won't happen. That very same, wonderful, great, most desirable idea was here around when i left few years ago or so and it is still a wish now that i'm back. Maybe there is something in the underlying code that prevents it to be implemented, who knows.

But among online games, uo-taming is so unique...it's so bad having no news on the foreseeable future of this little pearl.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Let's face it: we know that won't happen. That very same, wonderful, great, most desirable idea was here around when i left few years ago or so and it is still a wish now that i'm back. Maybe there is something in the underlying code that prevents it to be implemented, who knows.

But among online games, uo-taming is so unique...it's so bad having no news on the foreseeable future of this little pearl.
nothing prevents it, I think it is just that people expect certain things, and we need some "lower end pets" as well. I mean "WE" don't but the game does.

Creating "greater" versions of a pet is ok with me. Assuming they do not make them more asinine than the already asinine pets we have.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i wish they made a great WW with the same boost in stats the great dragons got..

wishful thinking tho..

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the pets in SA were anything to go by, I doubt we'll see more powerful pets. Both the GD and dread were pretty much mistakes that they allowed us to keep, rather than anything really deliberate.

I would much rather they were modest if they did make new pets or tweak the old ones. I feel I have more than enough power as a tamer already, I'm really not seeing the need for anything drastic tbh.

Wenchy

B

Barry Manilow

Glacial colored steed? I can dream eh :). They can add a few more 4 slot pets. They are strong yet not over powered.

P

pgib

So no news in the end. I felt it.

To be absolutely honest, when i was asking for news about new high end pet i was thinking about something with no less than 10k hp with a base damage of 100-150 hp and the starting resistance set of a high end greater dragon.

A slightly buffed paragon greater dragon for short.

But that follows my idea that the game should level all character up to the sampire and then tweak the monsters to be challenging for everyone (so people will start again to seek for the class they like more and not the one they are forced to play) - and not nerfing the sampire to death disrupting a char that people may actually like.

For the power of tamers, of course i respect the feeling but i can't really imagine how that can be justified. We are but a shadow of the original tamer (the "all kill no skill"), the one able to control the third most powerful creature in game that was perfectly capable of killing - in a challenging fight - every other creature in the same game. And with a player base that was 10 times the one we have now, so the "we try to gather people together" argument doesn't hold.

In the current environment that would mean to be able to tame something far stronger than Rikktor - that's not a joke if you consider the high end foes we have to fight.

Yet considering that it was a designer to state that the greater dragon was a mistake, our chances to shine once again are probably zero.

A shame because i'm trying hard to find another game with something like UO taming and, believe me, there is nothing even slightly comparable. So unique, so overlooked.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd settle for a minor tweak around greater dragons ... no stat changes, but have five different ones available to tame, different colours(not neon, and properly done artwork!) to reflect their damage types, so we don't only have fire breath ones, we can get poison, energy, cold and physical.

No change to damage output, just to the type, so you could pick the suitable pet for whatever you are hunting...

B

Barry Manilow

I'd settle for a minor tweak around greater dragons ... no stat changes, but have five different ones available to tame, different colours(not neon, and properly done artwork!) to reflect their damage types, so we don't only have fire breath ones, we can get poison, energy, cold and physical.

No change to damage output, just to the type, so you could pick the suitable pet for whatever you are hunting...
I LOVE that idea!

K

Kim Li of LS

On the different types of GDs, I would say shift the resists on the dragons too.
Blue ones with cold damage breath and up to 90 cold resist instead of 90 fire
purple...90 energy, energy breath weapon
green..poison 90, poison breath
grey..physical

basically just use the same resist profile but swap the 90 around and the 55.
blue would have 55 fire, exc...

these are max resits obviously.

treat the basic model as the red (fire) one.

P

pgib

Please no more good ideas, have mercy: it makes me feel sad thinking about what they could do and we'll never see.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The different elemental GD type idea is great and it could be implemented without much difficulty. It is matter of priority for the Dev I guess.

I love my tamer and the power of a tamer is not only in the pet itself but also tactics used to tackle each encounter. Asking for a bigger meat shield is really unnecessary.

I would rather they bring more utility pets to provide more options to tamer types. There are many different tamer templates and having pets that complement said template would enhance the tamer experience. It would allow tamers to branch out from the standard meat shield concept.

P

pgib

I dream of more power because where i play (europa) i'm pretty much the only tamer left that still tries to challenge the biggest mobs. There are no tamers at the stygian dragon, there are no tamers at the slasher of veils, there are no tamers at medusa, no tamers doing the minions..., i hardly see any tamer in the stygian abyss at all. Once in a while (but its very rare) i find a fellow tamer at navrey. When i organize a little public hunt for some peerles guess how many tamers do i see? Me. I have been in three good pvm guilds and the reason why tamers are getting fat at banks - and pets in stables - is because they aren't effective. And in case someone in the sky is listening let's be clear about this: the solution is not to nerf sampires.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With power comes responsibility, and sadly there are too many tamers now (as there were in ye old days), who can't be responsible on a free rein. Tamers with packs of drags/WWs caused havoc, so the responsible tamers were all curtailed alongside them when control slots arrived. We got cu side... tamers then left them unattended to kill spawn. We had pet balls, so some tamers went nuts with those in PvP. We've proved we can't be trusted, we have a reputation that's not going to go away until we change our behaviour. I'm afraid we don't deserve strong powerful pets unless we look like we can deal with responsibility better. Which isn't going to happen with the community we have now.

In the meantime, tamers have the option of teaming up with each other to kill high end stuff. There are plenty of spawns which can be solo'd by a tamer, easily. I don't think there is anything unfair in having a few which are much more suited to a group. And if you're banksitting with a tamer, you're in a perfect place to meet in with a group.

Wenchy

P

pgib

I'm not convinced by the premises and i disagree with the conclusions. Also gathering should note be a matter of necessity but of will. But that's a matter for another discussion.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dream of more power because where i play (europa) i'm pretty much the only tamer left that still tries to challenge the biggest mobs. There are no tamers at the stygian dragon, there are no tamers at the slasher of veils, there are no tamers at medusa, no tamers doing the minions..., i hardly see any tamer in the stygian abyss at all. Once in a while (but its very rare) i find a fellow tamer at navrey. When i organize a little public hunt for some peerles guess how many tamers do i see? Me. I have been in three good pvm guilds and the reason why tamers are getting fat at banks - and pets in stables - is because they aren't effective. And in case someone in the sky is listening let's be clear about this: the solution is not to nerf sampires.
Maybe on Europa, but not much elsewhere. On Atlantic and GL I can still find tamers in a heartbeat. I have always favored my tamers for PvM (NOT PvP) and I have multiple stables full of high end pets. I see NO reason for any pet stronger than a Gdrag.

Plain and simple, I find the Gdrag has ruined most tamers...stand and vet/heal. The Gdrag made many very, very marginal tamers think they were good. I much prefer to work with guildies, or other templates to take down a tough mob. Oh, and fwiw, I have a couple very nice sampires too. I just prefer a change of scenery at times. I pray they never introduce another higher powered pet in game, and would prefer they address issues with certain pets (reptalon anyone?) that are unduly nerfed upon taming.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Bane dragons were decent enough.

P

pgib

I respect the opinion that the greater dragon has ruined young tamers but i do not agree.

In fact we had for years a pet that was way more powerful than the greater dragon (considering their environments): the dragon - or the white wyrm but i was in the dragon party :).

Immensely more powerful (we had a mass of players, no area damage, weaker mobs AND a strong pet)

Did it ruined us? Well, maybe - all kill no skill after all - but in that case we where all ruined well before the gd.

For the Reptalon (elven word for "underpowered"), the designers answered our call for a buff introducing the Skree (gargoyle's word for "sucks"). We can't say anymore that the Reptalon is a pity: it is clearly overpowered if you look at the Skree.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Great points all over the place here, both pro and con. I would sign on with the Greater WW also tho, always preferred the ww artwork to the drag. Already have overpowered grey and red drags in game, may as well have a white one. Not a big deal there.

If it were my call I would do two things tho:

1- Allow craftable saddles for the dang GD already. You mean to tell me that all the talented smiths and tailors in UO Lore haven't been able to gain the knowledge of fabricating one? Can even make them a high end deal, more ingots than a smithy deed for a Swampy, comprable leather and tie it in to HIGH smith AND tailor skill. Say a 10% chance of excep at 120/120. This would also revitalize tailor and smith for a few weeks if nothing else.

2- Break out the Silver Steed. Make them along the lines of the Dread, this would hush the folks hollering about bringing them back for the "have nots" and bring prices down. Granted there was talk about the Bane Drag being a solution for that, but to me they pale in comparisson the the Dread. Dreads to me seemed evil aligned, I think it's fair to have a good aligned critter along the same lines.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So no news in the end. I felt it.

To be absolutely honest, when i was asking for news about new high end pet i was thinking about something with no less than 10k hp with a base damage of 100-150 hp and the starting resistance set of a high end greater dragon.

A slightly buffed paragon greater dragon for short.

But that follows my idea that the game should level all character up to the sampire and then tweak the monsters to be challenging for everyone (so people will start again to seek for the class they like more and not the one they are forced to play) - and not nerfing the sampire to death disrupting a char that people may actually like.

For the power of tamers, of course i respect the feeling but i can't really imagine how that can be justified. We are but a shadow of the original tamer (the "all kill no skill"), the one able to control the third most powerful creature in game that was perfectly capable of killing - in a challenging fight - every other creature in the same game. And with a player base that was 10 times the one we have now, so the "we try to gather people together" argument doesn't hold.

In the current environment that would mean to be able to tame something far stronger than Rikktor - that's not a joke if you consider the high end foes we have to fight.

Yet considering that it was a designer to state that the greater dragon was a mistake, our chances to shine once again are probably zero.

A shame because i'm trying hard to find another game with something like UO taming and, believe me, there is nothing even slightly comparable. So unique, so overlooked.
haha you're joking right

P

pgib

Well, i might be wrong and i can be serious as one can be talking about a videogame but yes, i really think that a buffed paragon greater dragon would be nowadays what the dragon/wyrm was in the past. Check the power of high end mobs, take the two most powerful out and the strongest of the remaining is the current dragon.

I'm talking about pvm, of course: while i'm no expert in pvp i can understand that being insta-killed with no chances by a "all kill" trigger would be a little disruptive.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even Greater Dragons now take less skill than what a tamer should use. And by skill I don't mean the number.

P

pgib

... 1- Allow craftable saddles for the dang GD already. ...
The Greater Dragon barding deed! Ah, you kill me with this. Would be wonderful but they had to create new textures (if not new models) and looking at all the rehued stuff we get i think that the team has not many artists available right now.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, i might be wrong and i can be serious as one can be talking about a videogame but yes, i really think that a buffed paragon greater dragon would be nowadays what the dragon/wyrm was in the past. Check the power of high end mobs, take the two most powerful out and the strongest of the remaining is the current dragon.

I'm talking about pvm, of course: while i'm no expert in pvp i can understand that being insta-killed with no chances by a "all kill" trigger would be a little disruptive.
I think it would be better if you just let the past stay in the past and stop trying to regain power you think you lost. I think it's really unrealistic to expect more powerful pets - the GD itself had to be re-balanced down from its original form. Subsequent pets were nowhere near as powerful. That says to me, the GD isn't going to be repeated anytime soon.

Besides, there is so much more to being a tamer than having a big stompy dragon or hunting peerless bosses :)

Wenchy

P

pgib

I dont' really want to be dragged into a "i am more tamer than you are" kind of arguing.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is not the need for a new 5 slot uber. The need is for little better 1 slot pack tames. Current pack vs a boss is insta death physical attack, insta breath weapon and red line spell.

Even the Gaman with their HP and resist would been a step up. The pack bonus would of just helped their 1DI better then a chicken base damage. Bringing the gaman damage up to a frenzy without pack bonus.

Advanced pack spawn AI for tamers. A pack of 4 with a 5th odd spawn tame of same type that heals. Keeps distance like an air eli AI and will heal creatures like itself that are damaged like the Juka Mage AI used to for Lords.

Tamer Miner with a stable full of ore colored beetles. 2 slot tame. Command "All Feed" and they chew on ore spots. They crap out ore not of their color type and can shed their carpace. Carpace smelted for their ore type color for the ingots they fed on once they collect a certain amount like 500 ingots worth.

A hoard minion type creature that auto loots leather, scale and bone. Bone gathering unique to them. Ammount of bone 1/10th the corpse living HP.

Can just have the GD stats for other spawns. At rare times a WW or a raptalon spawns as a greater type. That way a group of tamers can show with other art for the same creature type. Can you say a greater spider with the GD stats and half size Narvey artwork.

P

pgib

I take the gd as reference but really any kind of "new thing" would be more than welcome.

Take the skree. Originally it had the ability to summon the colossus and that was fun because you had a relatively weak pet with this huge supporter. Then there was the problem with the colossus targeting (or so i read somewhere) and the spell was removed but the idea was great.

Having pack instinct increase resistances would also be a nice improvement. Or raptors calling support.

Potions, balms and alike? Nice try but they need to be worked on.

So i don't think they are not on it and we get no chance on seeing improvements: maybe they just need some feedback.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont' really want to be dragged into a "i am more tamer than you are" kind of arguing.
But that is exactly what you are creating. Fact, the gdrag is an overpowered pet. It was already nerfed because it was too powerful. Fact, way too many tamers are dragging the stupid things around because they're too easy to possess and use...all kill, stand back and mage heal if mob has aoe spells, or stand next to it and vet if they don't. I said it earlier, and I'll say it again, they've made every bad tamer in Britannia think they are uber good. Why care? Because tamers already have a bad rap as whiney and always getting what they want in game. Furthermore, I happen to think that tamers should have a difficult template to play because they get the advantage of a pet to aid them. Therefore, I hate seeing the "all kill no skill" in use.

You want a buff on a skree or a reptalon, or the equivalent of a gdrag for the WW, I'm all for that. As far as wanting a 10k hp, 100+ base damage paragon gdrag equivalent as the next great pet? Ridiculous. That would be the most universally stupid thing the devs would have done EVER in this game, and they have done plenty of stupid things.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it's only you who's on that track of thought right now so you'd be arguing with yourself if you did ;)

Wenchy

C

Cloak&Dagger

Why is this still in debate? There is no need for a pet more powerful than the greater dragon.

Comparing the game now to any other era is pointless. Trying to compare a tamer to a sampire is again pointless, and in my eyes the completely wrong approach to any MMO.

Can we all stop trying to make the game easier than it is, some of you make it sound like it is so hard to be a tamer or to do anything else in game. Neither of my tamers use a greater dragon, it is my own preference because they are "still" overpowered.

Warpig had some decent ideas, but I already mentioned something exactly like one of his ideas in my first response at the beginning of this thread.

P

pgib

I don't think i've argued in the preceding post but i can start and end now.

It's perfectly fine to not agree on the necessity of a new high end pet, we're a lot, we can't agree on everything. It is weird having no logical reason for that.

I see basically two schools here.

The "i'm the greatest tamer, i have no problems so others are crap" and the "i played this game for a lot of time and i don't want noobs using pets i can".

There is no reason to say what i think of both.

There's no news regarding pets, the thread question has been answered but feel free to tell me why you don't want it if you find one reason.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I see basically two schools here.

The "i'm the greatest tamer, i have no problems so others are crap" and the "i played this game for a lot of time and i don't want noobs using pets i can".
And that's the whole problem. No one has come across in that fashion yet you still see it, it makes it a biased opinion.

And as I have said, there is no need to make the game any easier than it is, So I believe I answered your question/statement you just seemed to not accept that answer.

P

pgib

I accept it and respect it. I said that: i'd like to see something but that doesn't mean that everyone has to feel the same. Different views are great. It is just that i do not understand the reason. From my point of view is like i'm saying "how's the weather" and you answer "it is sunday". I know it's sunday but i wasn't asking that.

But i don't want to bother you all with an endless discussion on the goals of the game.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I accept it and respect it. I said that: i'd like to see something but that doesn't mean that everyone has to feel the same. Different views are great. It is just that i do not understand the reason. From my point of view is like i'm saying "how's the weather" and you answer "it is sunday". I know it's sunday but i wasn't asking that.

But i don't want to bother you all with an endless discussion on the goals of the game.
I see. Well the discussion did go away from your original intent, and that is what I commented on. Far as your original post, I don't think we will ever know until it hits test center or origin.

Aragoni

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a.) Spawn Dreaded Warhorses regulary white higher resie up to 75/all 60 and around 150 hp more
b.) One Control Slot more at real 120 taming (don t count + skill on items)

thats all what needet

C

Cloak&Dagger

a.) Spawn Dreaded Warhorses regulary white higher resie up to 75/all 60 and around 150 hp more
b.) One Control Slot more at real 120 taming (don t count + skill on items)

thats all what needet
a) You want to make an already extremely powerful pvp oriented pet and make it more powerful?
b) After reading "a" and answer it, you want to have 2 of these?

I don't entirely disagree with B, but there is a balance to be had in both play worlds.

Roland Of Gilead

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im a tamer also on europa i play all the time an see lots of other tamers around all the time m8.Always willing to come along on a hunt too :)As for more powerfull pets i think gd are plenty powerfull enough and i dont think tamers should really be able to solo Everything out there..So i think GD is powerfull enough i do like the idea of options though atm there is really almost no need to hunt with anything other than a gd cuz its the best pet therefor your best shot at a smooth hunt.Would be awsome to have other options that are as good hp and skills wise just for options sake as to me thats really what uo is all about-options.i prefer using my cu but alas if im gonna go solo say navery or something im better off taking my gd and theres no equal option to me that bites.But i still say its plenty powerfull of a pet an 10k hp on anything would just be insanely rediculous...shouldnt be a one pet army able to walk through anything with no worries at all...takes the play out of the game.

P

pgib

I mean no disrespect, maybe my clumsy english doesn't help here, but my thoughts are clearly not understood.

Let's try again, condensed version. I'm talking about pvm.

UO was about being free to play the "class" you like more.

The mage (and the tamer too) was a bit overpowered but not so much.

Then the game started being biased toward the fighter class and it continued along that way until the current state of affair: we have one class with a couple of variation that can "beat the game" and the rest.

This produces the ridiculous statements "i can't come to do X because i don't have the template Y" or the even worse "to do X you must be Y".

Designers know that this is a problem and tries to re-balance the game but they do that via nerfs.

I say that this is wrong because you don't take away from your player base what they are used to. It is rare but there one or two guys that actually likes to play the dexxsamthrowmistycarcher: you don't have to destroy what they like to fix the status quo.

Instead of nerf you should offer them viable alternatives.

That means, always in my theory here, that we need a 2 step process (2, do not stop at the first one):

1. all classes get leveled up to the the most powerful one - the one that is able to do everything (hence the big new pet).
2. all spawns get re-tuned so that they are soloable or not. Here i am for everything soloable but some agree, some not, it could be the subject of another thread. Anyway 1. serves as a clean up.

Why i think it is important to be all equally powerful.

Because that will promote the playstyle that is the soul of this game: being a very weird, very funny someone else you like to be. Not one you have to be.

"I could take my wammy in but i don't really like to play it", "i'm on mage now, i can't come", that's not UO.

So this was the bothering discussion i didn't want to take you into. 2 steps, consider the whole picture.

For the greater dragon being overpowered, gather the keys for a shimmering effusion, do a mephitis, challenge a frost dragon, kill a minion of scelestus, go to bedlam, try a paragon skeletal dragon, do abscess and so on... all without letting your pet to die (tamer epic fail, imho a dead bonded pet should be forcibly stabled for one week to recover) or using relog (horrible borderline trick we are all used to, fix the ball of pet summoning for that). And without falling asleep (Rikktor is a real champion here but even Navrey is not bad at that either).

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are under the wrong assumption here that every template should be able to do well against every mob. That isnt true in uo, some mobs are specifically designed to be very hard or impossible on certain templates . Slasher and stygian dragon are examples of being anti-tamer with triple damage against pets.
There is a good amount of newer mobs now that have corrupted lifeforce and are impossible to do if you use any form of life leech. I guess we will see even more of them in the future and maybe some small dexxer adjustments like the chive changes in pub71.

Mages, bards and tamers are excellent group chars while melee dexxers usually cannot contribute much in a group setting, they are usually busy staying alive if creature has no slayer and they didnt honor it.

The sometimes obscene damage output warriors can have should have been adjusted when imbuing came out. Would have been easy. Now that the cat is out of the bag its hard to do without annoying a good part of the already small player base. And changing the game in a way that 99.9% of the existing content is easy for every template is not an option either.

You either have to learn to live with the sometimes lower damage output of a tamer or you could hop on the wagon and make a dexxer to. Doesnt need to be a necro, there is enough variation possible in uo to come up with something that can be fun and strong .

Personally i dont mind if tamers get a 10k hp paragon gd, but then give mages 10 ev's with 1k hp each and mystics 5 collosus at once. And both a summon that can discord. Not sure if this idea is still good then.

P

pgib

Personally i dont mind if tamers get a 10k hp paragon gd, but then give mages 10 ev's with 1k hp each and mystics 5 collosus at once. And both a summon that can discord. Not sure if this idea is still good then.
You might think i'm crazy but that's exactly the points: buffing all the classes (and not nerfing someone) until all can do the same things, with different playstyles - or lifestyles as it should be.

My plan for mages is a bit different (i would change the summoned creatures rather than buffing the existing one, like a Balron instead of a demon and an enraged earth elemental instead of the plain one) but the line of thought is the same.

And in the golden age - not the swamp dark one we are living now - we mage, tamers, archers and warriors were used to be equally powerful: we had just different ways to engage creatures.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You might think i'm crazy but that's exactly the points: buffing all the classes (and not nerfing someone) until all can do the same things, with different playstyles - or lifestyles as it should be.

My plan for mages is a bit different (i would change the summoned creatures rather than buffing the existing one, like a Balron instead of a demon and an enraged earth elemental instead of the plain one) but the line of thought is the same.

And in the golden age - not the swamp dark one we are living now - we mage, tamers, archers and warriors were used to be equally powerful: we had just different ways to engage creatures.
If you reduce the whole game to the point of being powerful in solo killing, you miss a lot in uo. The strength of uo atm is that you can do an awesome amount of stuff with an insane variety of characters. Also choosing difficulty level by yourself.
Being able to solo spawns and bosses is only a small part of the whole picture.
Necro warriors in general are a bit of a random abomination, if you watch development you will find that they are continuing in giving unique strengths to other classes. And doing small adjustments to sampires.
Make them useless here and there, forcing them to spend 20 more points in chiv, double mana cost for lightning strike, it adds up over time.
No need to balance the whole game around some gimp build, in other mmo's you would see the big nerf hammer. You also seem to forget that your gimp build requires a serious amount of crafting and a ton of skills on soulstones to be really good.
Dev's are aware of the balance problem, but instead of the big nerf they do walk the uo way. Would love to see more of the stuff they added to bards and paladins, but with a ~5 man dev team we need to be patient.
Giving other templates a unique reason to get played is the way to go, not making them equal in damage output.

C

canary

I can't believe someone seriously posted that they believe tamers should have a pet akin to a Paragon Greater Dragon. I thought they were being sarcastic until I continued reading.

Seriously. WT...?

That said, I play a tamer on one of my main characters. What tamers need is better mid to high mid creatures. There need to be more reasons to tame hellhounds and things of that nature. I actually ENJOY fighting with pets below my actual skill level. Part of the fun (imo) is the challenge, and aside from EM created critters or the 'bosses', a GD is more than capable of handling its own anywhere. It's actually a sad state of where we are when people logically think paragon GDs should be the future of the game.

GDs pretty much rule PvM and make it easy.

GDs (and some invis or stealth) make PvP pretty easy.

I think that we are doing fine with what we have; lets give some love to some other, lower end pets to make the taming experience more exciting.

C

canary

Tamers pretty much already have a leg up over most. There is nothing 'equally powerful' about it. While I enjoy a tamer amongst my characters, it is also, by far, the easiest template to play (imo) and be successful.

A good warrior skill set takes at least 500 points. A tamer takes at least 300.

P

pgib

Give me the shard name, i'll make a char and follow you cause i have to learn how to fight with a 300 tamer (or a 800, doesn't make any difference) a couple of creatures i have "little" problems with. That are plainly doable with any other pvm class.

C

canary

Give me the shard name, i'll make a char and follow you cause i have to learn how to fight with a 300 tamer (or a 800, doesn't make any difference) a couple of creatures i have "little" problems with. That are plainly doable with any other pvm class.
Just for those who may not be following another thread on here, this is a quote from you:

Well, i'm a tamer-healer (i have to say a not so common class these days, at least in Europa shard), and while we gladly never stop learning, i'm proud to say that a mob has to be a pretty bad guy to take down one of my greater dragons and maybe just two or three creatures in the game can do so withouth killing me first. One being Sudiva (subliminal message n. 23, i'd love to tame that scaled beauty).
I'm pretty sure with that in mind the last thing you as a tamer needs is something akin to a 'slightly buffed paragon greater dragon'. You seem to be doing well on your own.

P

pgib

Thanks, that's precisely the point.

"...withouth killing me down first".

Because if we could use veterinary again (i posted a couple of ideas for that in a "tamer spellbook" or something like that) there would be no need for bigger creatures.

Btw i also posted somewhere the techniques i use to take down mid-range mobs so i know what i can do. Problem is that i feel severely underpowered when i do that compared to mages or warriors (but not pure warriors, i wrote about that also).

Yet i hear in the forum that tamers feels the opposite: overpowered. It is human to be curious about the source of all that power, that's why i'm asking you (or anyone else) to show me how you do the things i can't do.

I'll be quiet and ghostly, just tell me the shard and the time and i'll be there. I'll provide the targets.

C

canary

I'll be quiet and ghostly, just tell me the shard and the time and i'll be there. I'll provide the targets.
The issue is that you feel the need to solo everything.

I'm telling you now: no one template can solo every single thing in game.

If you can handle everything except '2 or 3' you are doing fine. This game is not to be a SOLO experience for every single thing out there.

If you cannot understand that a 'buffed paragon greater dragon' is absurd (and I say this as a fellow tamer) then seriously you might as well have a button on your paper doll that says 'EASY UO WIN EVERYTHING'.

For the record, I myself cannot defeat every single thing. Then again, I often fight with bouras, ostards, unicorns, and nightmares with near Legendary skill. Heck, I gm'ed fully a squirrel just for the challenge. I prefer the challenge. Obviously, you are making it clear you do not enjoy the challenge of fighting something and overcoming it. You'd rather, it appears, just say 'All Kill' and loot.

P

pgib

Yes but if you notice my proposal doesn't affect your need for challenge: nothing will prevent you from using a greater dragon or a cu sidhe or a pack of ostards or anything else.

I'll have my buffed paragon greater dragon, you'll have your squirrel and we both will be happy.