• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Now we pay tax per account?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wasnt arguing. Merely pointing out that you are wrong ;)
Well you failed to point out any error, only a lack of understanding on your part of what I am trying to say. Which was explained in the rest of that post you only partially quoted.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you guys actually checked your cc-bills?

I have just been charged (24.08.2011) and the receipt only shows the amount that is shown on the account info screen. The tax they said i'd have to pay is not in the receipt. I'm from germany.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you guys actually checked your cc-bills?

I have just been charged (24.08.2011) and the receipt only shows the amount that is shown on the account info screen. The tax they said i'd have to pay is not in the receipt. I'm from germany.
Yes. I see tax which wasn't seen on the account info screen. Been seeing it for a while which is why it would be nice to also see it on the account screen.

S

Sevin0oo0

the more this goes on, the more familiar it sounds, as when they did something w/ tax a few? years ago - it all got straightened out and everything went back to normal, just a matter of time I think. After That, If you think you have a valid issue, Call CS, and put in a trouble ticket, where you have a paper trail, and the proper documentation.
I think their software is probably just recently built, and modules/code are still being tweaked and modded. There's probably many changes that will be made, instances not even encountered yet by us but that they're aware of.

Was the whole thing poorly designed? yes
poorly implemented? yes
poorly communicated? yes
<add yours here?> yes

LordGenesis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
OY! Lordgen ... what you ain't catching onto is
A) Linkage date: 02-09-2008
B) >any tax< that EA IS and/or Will be collecting IS per YOUR STATE and ITS taxes ...
Your state and county and city and gated community >taxes<

C) You are screaming towards a rage quit over ...13.90 - 12.99 ..... $0.91?????????

*shoots sleeves*
that >maybe< a telephonic tax as applied to delivery via phone lines (landlines up to dsl)
and/or Cable hanging from poles maintence tax, or labeling for buried lines sprouting from neighborhood terminal access points
or
HA!
FL Dept Rev - Florida's Communications Services Tax General Information Communications Services Tax

Get your PHONE BILL out and see IF there are any other piddly amount of taxes being collected that you Did not know about.
YOUR state asked EA to Collect that piddly 0.91
ask EA why and for what ... use a Pay phone to make the call
Ask your local Tax rep why you were not told, use a land line for that ...

YOU"RE WELCOME nhb# nhb* nhb*&^%^&^$% ... :danceb:
Since your intelligent enough to do a google search... how bout you search for what a communication tax is for... its not for Video Game subscriptions. It is for all forms of communication that occur over the internet electronically.

Video Game subscriptions fall under sales tax ... NOT communcation tax. So get your facts straight before you proceed to attempt to belittle someone who has a legitmate gripe with EAs new billing practices.

As i said before in previous posts... there is something wrong.. people in Europe are being charged huge amounts of overage on taxes they should not be paying.

Florida currently does not have a sales tax on internet purchases made outside of the state and since EA does not have a physical presence in the state of florida... We should not be paying said sales tax for Virginia. Which is where they hold a physical presence within that state.

Do you comprehend now or should i break it down further for you?

LordGenesis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Sheesh thats kinda sour grapes isn't it Genesis? Wasn't trolling I sincerely like doing IDOC's

But hey it's your stuff sorry I asked.
My bad... im just sick of all the trolls and people who dont have a clue trying to "inform" us of what is and isnt.

LordGenesis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
the more this goes on, the more familiar it sounds, as when they did something w/ tax a few? years ago - it all got straightened out and everything went back to normal, just a matter of time I think. After That, If you think you have a valid issue, Call CS, and put in a trouble ticket, where you have a paper trail, and the proper documentation.
I think their software is probably just recently built, and modules/code are still being tweaked and modded. There's probably many changes that will be made, instances not even encountered yet by us but that they're aware of.

Was the whole thing poorly designed? yes
poorly implemented? yes
poorly communicated? yes
<add yours here?> yes
I seem to also recall an incident like this happening years ago also with EA.

This entire system should have been beta tested on a copy of the live information before ANY of this was released... its just poor programming ethics on the part of Mythic and EA.

There are people in here trolling and making things difficult for those who have legitimate issues with this new system.

To make it clear for all...

No I dont mind paying a tax that is legally supposed to be collected.

Yes I mind being taxxed when I live in a state that does not require such collection of tax on intangible property such as video game subscriptions.

The reason I am "shocked" as some have put it... is because last month... no tax.. this month tax? Im sorry but florida doesnt pass legislation that quickly... takes years for things to get pushed through and approved. So yes it is incorrect that I am now being taxxed when I NEVER was to begin with.

For those who will troll... dont bother replying to me if you dont have all your facts straight and are just looking to anger people. Stay out of the kewlaid unless you know what flavor it is.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Since your intelligent enough to do a google search... how bout you search for what a communication tax is for... its not for Video Game subscriptions. It is for all forms of communication that occur over the internet electronically.

Video Game subscriptions fall under sales tax ... NOT communcation tax. So get your facts straight before you proceed to attempt to belittle someone who has a legitmate gripe with EAs new billing practices.

As i said before in previous posts... there is something wrong.. people in Europe are being charged huge amounts of overage on taxes they should not be paying.

Florida currently does not have a sales tax on internet purchases made outside of the state and since EA does not have a physical presence in the state of florida... We should not be paying said sales tax for Virginia. Which is where they hold a physical presence within that state.

Do you comprehend now or should i break it down further for you?
i don't think you KNOW all a what florida is got

blah blah ... if you are certain that that tax ain't the tax you paid
that ya hadn't paid before
how bout YOU figure out a way to contact EA and have Them explain the thing?
EVERYBODY is guessing why what you got took got taken
EA KNOWS ...

Catching a trend here?
you got a question
EA gots the answer?

Yep, coulda been a mistake
ya think
Mighta been proper
ya don't know when the tax was started
thats why you don't know its proper
You don't know what it is
other than never seen it before ...
Poking it with a stick on the forums
hows that going so far?
Making you look a little wild eyed
EA knows the score
Take yo little stick
POKE EA
take notes
come and share with the OTHER floridians
what why EA been picking on you all for ...
I can't do that for ya
I don't know that what you got
is a bill from EA for alla that ..

Now
go!
get!
poke!
notes

yw.fd

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Fayled. if you are not going to help then I suggest you cease these antagonizing posts.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Fayled. if you are not going to help then I suggest you cease these antagonizing posts.
kelmo ... I TRIED ... to help, can't do the "answer" for him though
OTHERS have tried ...and all that is falling out is that No one else has an answer either

Kinda narrows the OPTIONS for geeting an answer down to him and EA ... yes?
Us voting him "most unjustly injured" is not going to get the charges off his recurring bill, now is it?

Him wrinkling his brow in distaste at my style ...
isn't gonna get it off his bill either ... is it?

It is fair for me to figure he doesn't know what it is
that is what HE is saying, isn't it? ...

it maybe "antagonizing" to summarize the state of the argument to

there IS one more option left, one more chance for knowledge
Call the ones that put the charge on his bill and have them explain it
I can't, you can't, NO one but He CAN

If he don't ...

he be the one draaaaging it out ... Fair?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So...I did as Fayled suggested and got out my stick.

Way back in 1992 there was a thing called the Internet Tax Freedom Act in California, saying that the state should not charge tax on internet sales.

Now..fast forward to today:

Internet Sales Tax | California | Amazon | The Daily Caller

Focus on this part, located near the bottom of the above link:

In 1992, the Supreme Court barred states from collecting sales taxes on businesses that did not have a presence in the state. The Court ruled that such laws amounted to regulating interstate commerce –a power granted only to the federal government.

California’s new law dodges that ruling by claiming companies like Amazon have a presence through affiliates and related companies operating in the state. New York passed a similar law in 2008. Amazon is currently suing the state of New York.

California is the seventh and largest state in the nation to pass such a law.

To put it in common terms...because we pay our money to a company that is based in California, we HAVE to pay taxes on it.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I seem to also recall an incident like this happening years ago also with EA.

This entire system should have been beta tested on a copy of the live information before ANY of this was released... its just poor programming ethics on the part of Mythic and EA.

There are people in here trolling and making things difficult for those who have legitimate issues with this new system.

To make it clear for all...

No I dont mind paying a tax that is legally supposed to be collected.

Yes I mind being taxxed when I live in a state that does not require such collection of tax on intangible property such as video game subscriptions.

The reason I am "shocked" as some have put it... is because last month... no tax.. this month tax? Im sorry but florida doesnt pass legislation that quickly... takes years for things to get pushed through and approved. So yes it is incorrect that I am now being taxxed when I NEVER was to begin with.

For those who will troll... dont bother replying to me if you dont have all your facts straight and are just looking to anger people. Stay out of the kewlaid unless you know what flavor it is.
Since many of the older UO subscriptions started out with the purchase of boxed software, I wonder if EA might be taking the cautious approach of treating the ongoing subscription fees as part and parcel of that original purchase if a state requires the payment of sales tax when a sales transaction includes both a tangible portion and an electronically delivered portion?

I'm looking in particular at these Technical Assistance Advisements on the Florida Department of Revenue website: https://taxlaw.state.fl.us/wordfiles/SUT TAA3 10A-028.pdf and https://taxlaw.state.fl.us/wordfiles/SUT TAA3 10A-010.pdf.

There should be a newer Technical Assistance Advisement on software available through the same site, but I'm not able to pull it up and don't know what kind of situation it covers.

Interesting stuff.

Edited to add: One more link for you--the page with the Sales and Use Tax Technical Assistance Advisements issued by the Florida Department of Revenue from 2010 through current date: https://taxlaw.state.fl.us/format3.aspx?file=sut_taa3&req=*&ttype=Sales and Use Tax. The first one on the list is the one I can't seem to open, but again I don't know what situation it covers and how relevant it might be to this discussion.

Forgot to include this information as well:

There's a tutorial on the Florida Department of Revenue website for business owners to learn about the Florida Sales and Use Taxes. One of the examples in the tutorial asks you what kind of tax is owed and who it is owed to when a Florida-based company buys software via the internet from a company in Washington and the selling company doesn't collect the Florida sales tax. The correct answer, according to the tutorial, is the purchaser in Florida must pay the 6% Florida use tax. http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/training/nbo_temp/ie7/index.html?dhtmlActivation=inplace . (See pp.15-16.)

I think Florida is far from alone anymore in having a requirement for out-of-state companies to collect Florida sales tax on purchases by Florida residents and if they do not, the Florida resident is then supposed to pay use tax to Florida on the purchase. I don't know how many states are successfully forcing out-of-state companies to collect the tax and remit it to them, though, and I suspect most consumers are blissfully ignorant of the use tax requirements in their state for untaxed internet purchases they made from businesses in other states.

Florida's rules for which out-of-state business need to register or file tax is located here: http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/businesses/outstate.html. (And yes, I realize this doesn't address the issue of whether or not your UO subscription is taxable. Assuming it is, this page may answer the question of why EA is collecting the tax on sales to Florida residents. Perhaps they have some kind of physical presence there.)

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I don't have an Issue paying tax.. the issue I have is that its a double tax
even that isn't bothering me now though as I'm using Game time :D

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, from my research on Oklahoma Tax Commission Homepage I found this:

http://www.tax.ok.gov/rules/710-65-21-8%20ADOPTED.pdf

This internet sales tax rule was adopted February 2010.

I talked to the OTC (Oklahoma Tax Comission for you non-Okies) they pointed me to this http://www.tax.ok.gov/rules/PRrules08/PRO65-08.pdf 710:65-19-330 to be precise.

I also talked to EA's customer NO support (what so ever). Well things started pleasantly. Then when I read him what I have on the OTC website and that it says tangible items. Also that since EA's had us agree to a EULA that CLEARLY STATES we do NOT own our accounts, characters, in game currenct or items. That they can not tax on a sale of property when we do not own said property and that we are only paying to access the server.

I was informed that I did not have the latest Oklahoma Tax Code....even though I was reading it directly from the OTC WEBSITE! Which is one of the few OK websites that trys to stay half way up to date. I ended up blowing my stack because the guy was not listening and then had the gall to tell me that everyone accessing UO HAS TO PAY CALIFORNIA STATE SALES TAX!

I then told him charging that tax to UK and European players on top of their VAT tex is illegal. He then said no it wasn't that THEY HAD TO PAY CALIFORNIA SALES TAXES TOO!!!

What a total crock of BS....Well enjoy the headache EA! I told the OTC when I talked to them that ya'll were collection taxes on behalf of the state of Oklahoma and to make sure Electronic Arts of Redwood City, CA is remitting those taxes collected!

ENJOY YOUR FIGHT WITH THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA SUCKERS!

You can nearly get away with murder in Oklahoma but God forbid you forget to pay the OTC their tax! Heaven help ya cause we in Oklahoma know that the OTC is owned and operated by the devil himself(just like the IRS.)!

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes us in Oklahoma are not supposed to pay internet tax lol but aparently they dont understand this in billing and are charging it anyway.... its pure profit.
It has nothing to do where you live. It is based on where the company that you purchased game time. CA by law requires all internets sales to be taxed if they originated in CA.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jirel, near the bottom of page 7 of that second PDF you linked, it says, "'Tangible personal property' means personal property that can be seen, weighed, measured, felt, or touched or that is in any other manner perceptible to the senses. For purposes of the Oklahoma Sales Tax Code, 'tangible personal property' includes electricity, water, gas, steam and prewritten computer software." [My emphasis added.]

Do you think that it's possible EA or whichever company they may have outsourced the job of researching tax issues to might think UO falls into the category of "prewritten computer software" for purposes of applying the Oklahoma sales tax rules?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has nothing to do where you live. It is based on where the company that you purchased game time. CA by law requires all internets sales to be taxed if they originated in CA.
Delbrie, because people who live in the US are seeing varying amounts for the tax on the same subscription amount, I tend to doubt that the tax amount is based on California rules for people who don't live in California.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Jirel, near the bottom of page 7 of that second PDF you linked, it says, "'Tangible personal property' means personal property that can be seen, weighed, measured, felt, or touched or that is in any other manner perceptible to the senses. For purposes of the Oklahoma Sales Tax Code, 'tangible personal property' includes electricity, water, gas, steam and prewritten computer software." [My emphasis added.]

Do you think that it's possible EA or whichever company they may have outsourced the job of researching tax issues to might think UO falls into the category of "prewritten computer software" for purposes of applying the Oklahoma sales tax rules?
Might be the part I bolded and underlined...

UO IS in fact perceptible to the senses..as you can SEE it and HEAR it....

All I know is that CA law overrules whatever other state law there is..if you pay money to a California-based business you have to pay taxes.

Bottom line...you don't wanna pay that tax? convice them to move to Chicago *winks*

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All this speculation and annoyance goes back to what was discussed in a previous thread:

Why isn't someone from UO/Mythic/EA/Santa's Workshop/wherever coming forward and explaining to their customers why the charges are being made? If they think they are legitimate, tell us. If they are a mistake, then tell us.

We are not talking about whether they are going to be bringing in spotted dragons or legalizing the forward pass in UO. We are talking about our money. It is not a "privilege" to be told such things, it is our right, or at the very, very least a common courtesy from any respectable company toward the people who ultimately pay its employee's wages.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are some examples I pulled from this thread of varying sales tax amounts on the $12.99 monthly subscription amount. Presumably all these people are in the US.

I'm in Colorado and seeing a tax amount of $1.00 on a $12.99 monthly subscription fee. Ludes is also in Colorado and I know he lives several hours away from me in another city and county and his tax amount is $1.04.

Lord Genesis is in Florida and is seeing a tax amount of $0.90.

Aboo in Oklahoma is seeing a tax amount of $1.12.

Spellywellyboo (location unknown) is seeing a $1.05 tax amount.

PlayerSkillFTW reports a tax of $1.13.

MalagAste is in Iowa and now paying a tax but didn't say how much it was. Maybe she can provide more details for comparison purposes.

LadySteele, also location unknown, is reporting a tax of $1.41.

Maybe a few more people living in the US could give their state and their tax amount on a $12.99 monthly subscription fee in the new accounting system? I don't think this is a California state sales tax issue because if it was the amount would be the same across the board. But, by all reports here, it's not!

For subscribers who have given EA a US address, I think we're seeing state, city, county, and special tax district taxes and EA has probably farmed out the calculation process to an outside company that specializes in researching and staying on top of this stuff.

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Delbrie, because people who live in the US are seeing varying amounts for the tax on the same subscription amount, I tend to doubt that the tax amount is based on California rules for people who don't live in California.
From the CA Board of Equalization:

The California sales tax is imposed on all California retailers. It applies to all retail sales of tangible personal property in the state. Retailers making sales in the State of California are required to remit the sales tax to the Board of Equalization. Retailers are required to pay and report sales taxes to the Board of Equalization and they have the option of collecting sales tax reimbursement from their customers. Almost all retailers utilize this option. Whether or not a retailer collects the sales tax, the retailer is liable to remit the tax due.

The California use tax is imposed on consumers of tangible personal property that is used, consumed, or stored in this state. Use tax applies to purchases from out-of-state vendors that are not required to collect tax on their sales. Use tax also applies to most leases of tangible personal property.

The state sales tax and use tax are "mutually exclusive," which means either sales tax or use tax applies to a single transaction, but not both.

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are some examples I pulled from this thread of varying sales tax amounts on the $12.99 monthly subscription amount. Presumably all these people are in the US.

I'm in Colorado and seeing a tax amount of $1.00 on a $12.99 monthly subscription fee. Ludes is also in Colorado and I know he lives several hours away from me in another city and county and his tax amount is $1.04.

Lord Genesis is in Florida and is seeing a tax amount of $0.90.

Aboo in Oklahoma is seeing a tax amount of $1.12.

Spellywellyboo (location unknown) is seeing a $1.05 tax amount.

PlayerSkillFTW reports a tax of $1.13.

MalagAste is in Iowa and now paying a tax but didn't say how much it was. Maybe she can provide more details for comparison purposes.

LadySteele, also location unknown, is reporting a tax of $1.41.

Maybe a few more people living in the US could give their state and their tax amount on a $12.99 monthly subscription fee in the new accounting system? I don't think this is a California state sales tax issue....
What you are seeing is the use tax being applied (not sales tax) CA has a use tax law which is different than sales tax. If your state does not charge sales tax on these types of purchase the CA use tax will be charged to you and paid to your state at the rate of your sales tax. EA is charged sales tax on all of their sales (our gamtime purchases) and it is up to them if they want to charge us for it (which they have not been). In CA you either pay sales tax or Use Tax, but not both. Either way, by CA law you are gonna pay a tax.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What you are seeing is the use tax being applied (not sales tax) CA has a use tax law which is different than sales tax. If your state does not charge sales tax on these types of purchase the CA use tax will be charged to you and paid to your state at the rate of your sales tax. EA is charged sales tax on all of their sales (our gamtime purchases) and it is up to them if they want to charge us for it (which they have not been). In CA you either pay sales tax or Use Tax, but not both. Either way, by CA law you are gonna pay a tax.
Well, then, it will be interesting to see if anyone who has moved their accounts to the new system, has a monthly subscription, and lives in the US but in a state with no state or local sales taxes reports that they are not paying any taxes with their monthly subscription.

Storm, are you willing to indicate whether you've updated your accounts that have a monthly subscription (if any) in the new system and what you're seeing for a tax? You seem to be saying you're in Oregon and that it has no state sales tax.

Edited to add: Don't know how accurate this is, but the chart and table on the following page seem to indicate these US states don't have state and local sales taxes: Alaska; Delaware; Montana; New Hampshire; and Oregon. So who's reading through this jumbled mess and lives in any of those states and wants to say whether or not they're seeing a tax on their monthly subscription amount now after the move and what the tax amount is? http://thestc.com/STrates.stm

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Storm, are you willing to indicate whether you've updated your accounts that have a monthly subscription (if any) in the new system and what you're seeing for a tax? You seem to be saying you're in Oregon and that it has no state sales tax.

[/url]
Oregon has no sales tax and my accounts will renew on the 5th and I will for sure let you all know!

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes us in Oklahoma are not supposed to pay internet tax lol but aparently they dont understand this in billing and are charging it anyway.... its pure profit.

If EA is collecting tax but not paying it they are committing a felony

They best fix this or they could be in big trouble

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went to the California Board of Equalization website and found this page full of sales and use tax publications:

Sales & Use Tax Publications - Numerical Listing - Board of Equalization

Notice that many of the publications are dated in 2011, so I'm pretty darn sure this is a current list of the BOE publications on California sales and use tax.

I'm still unconvinced California sales and use tax applies to EA sales to people living outside California after reviewing publications 101, 104 and 109.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub101.pdf (Sales Delivered Outside California)
http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub104.pdf (Sales to Residents of Other Countries)
http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub109.pdf (Internet Sales)

And based on the very first paragraph in publication 110 on California's use tax, I don't think it applies either when EA sells games to people who don't use the product in California.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub110.pdf

Another Lamer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When i re-signed up the price was £9.99 Inc VAT

Interesting when you come to actually pay the price becomes £9.99 + VAT

Now how is that 'clear, fair and not misleading'?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If EA is collecting tax but not paying it they are committing a felony

They best fix this or they could be in big trouble
Obviously, lol. I really don't think a company as big as EA would be that careless or dumb. Sure they aren't very good with their CSR and other stuff but they could in no way get away with not paying the tax. It would be pretty obvious.

Clearly no one in these threads has any expertise in tax and everyone arguing over this is running off on articles, web pages, etc and this only leaves us going in circles. We need someone who actually knows what they're talking about here. And no, simple googling junk online doesn't equate to solid answers here.

Because if there is one truth we should all know, is that when it comes to taxes, it never makes sense and is always confusing when it comes from state to state sales and which ruling overrides. And electronic sales and software only makes more confusion.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Maybe someone can call the irs? or go down to the local legal aid with all the info and ask them?
tax consultant ?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Say thank you to Jerry Brown. Because EA Corp. is located in Calif., EA is now required to charge taxes on us. If you live in a state that has asked EA to collect taxes the you are charged that states tax. If you live in a state that does not charge or has asked EA to collect taxes then you will be charged %8.25 (Redwood City, Ca. tax rate) and it will be paid to Ca. Thank you for your help in paying our bills. EA is not going to eat these taxes, we are going to eat them.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, unfortunately, here is the new UO Tax FAQ:

the reason ea is charging everyone taxes now is they are based in california, july 1st california lowered its sales tax from 9.5% to 8.5% but implenmented a internet sales tax, bascily any company that has offices in california are required to charge sales tax on all internet sales no matter the location. its one of the reasons amazon.com just killed 40,000 of there affiliates from there revinue sharing program so they wouldnt have to pay the sales taxes.
I also talked to EA's customer NO support (what so ever). Well things started pleasantly. Then when I read him what I have on the OTC website and that it says tangible items. Also that since EA's had us agree to a EULA that CLEARLY STATES we do NOT own our accounts, characters, in game currenct or items. That they can not tax on a sale of property when we do not own said property and that we are only paying to access the server.

I was informed that I did not have the latest Oklahoma Tax Code....even though I was reading it directly from the OTC WEBSITE! Which is one of the few OK websites that trys to stay half way up to date. I ended up blowing my stack because the guy was not listening and then had the gall to tell me that everyone accessing UO HAS TO PAY CALIFORNIA STATE SALES TAX!

I then told him charging that tax to UK and European players on top of their VAT tex is illegal. He then said no it wasn't that THEY HAD TO PAY CALIFORNIA SALES TAXES TOO!!!
Very interesting, because when I paid in July I didn't have to pay tax (VA resident). I guess they were charging to VA until the move?

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He cant help it Kelmo. This whole forum is an ego trip for him. He's created this online persona which is all an act and will play it out with any and every thread available. Sad.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Clearly no one in these threads has any expertise in tax...
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Well then, by all means, do indulge is beyond a simple one sentence rebuttal Tina. Perhaps something with just a smidgen more of information? lol
Before I retired a few years ago, virtually everything I worked on was tax-related to some degree or another. Most of my daily work involved researching issues involving Federal, state, local and international tax law using reference sservices from companies like Commerce Clearing House and RIA (I think they're Thomson Reuters now). I also used to comb through many governmental websites to review legislation and legislative analysis, regulations, tax codes, advisory bulletins, private letter rulings, publications, etc. I wrote many tax-related articles and training pieces for use by my employer's clients and employees and designed hundreds of forms for our customers to use for taxable transactions. I also earned several industry designations during my career that required extensive knowledge of certain tax law areas. Sales and use tax was not a common subject but it did come up occasionally.

I've always tried to give people the most accurate, complete, and up-to-date information I can find. I didn't spend just five minutes googling stuff and go with the first thing I found when I posted links in this thread. I did actually spend a fair amount of time reading several publications and cross-checking what I found against other publications.

And when I said, "don't be so sure about that," I was also referring to some other people who have replied that I suspect have some background in tax issues. You didn't put them on the spot so I guess we'll never know for sure though.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, then, it will be interesting to see if anyone who has moved their accounts to the new system, has a monthly subscription, and lives in the US but in a state with no state or local sales taxes reports that they are not paying any taxes with their monthly subscription.

Edited to add: Don't know how accurate this is, but the chart and table on the following page seem to indicate these US states don't have state and local sales taxes: Alaska; Delaware; Montana; New Hampshire; and Oregon. So who's reading through this jumbled mess and lives in any of those states and wants to say whether or not they're seeing a tax on their monthly subscription amount now after the move and what the tax amount is? theSTC - State Sales Tax Rates

Ok, I live in Montana, a state with no sales tax. Just to help you all out and because I was probably gonna renew the subs on these two accounts soon anyway, I renewed two accounts for one month each.

Again, I live in a ZERO sales tax state, Montana.

I was charged $12.99. The tax was charged at $0.00. The posted transaction on my debit card was for $12.99. Not the pending transaction but the finalized POSTED transaction was $12.99.

Obviously, I was not charged any sort of CA use tax.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I do not know if those rates are still current. I just thought it might be of some interest.

F

Fayled Dhreams

And when I said, "don't be so sure about that," I was also referring to some other people who have replied that I suspect have some background in tax issues. You didn't put them on the spot so I guess we'll never know for sure though.
Easy tina ... viper just "mis-spoke" ...it isn't a lack of tax experts he meant to say >expert readers OF tax related matters<.
As you noted (and would have been read, IF there were "clever readers") Your research product was accurate and on point.
Even accompanied by a few math examples; Even IF it later it to be turns out to be out wrong, yours was the best most thoroughly researched article >on stratics< about EA tax per a specific State.
ergo: you qualify as the closest to an expert to be read.

viper was wrong to use the word "clearly" ... but it is the hall and hyperbole is an accepted norm ...
The likely reasonable >reason< no-one has said: I do Taxes at an expert level and thus and so ...
they would have just made themselves legally responsible for what any not so clever reader THOUGHT they said.
Note: they >will< have WRITTEN their "advice" not merely "spoken"

Lawyers on law, Doctors on medicine, tax guys, stock brokers (shady grey area there) you can probably figure a few others to add to the list.
Usually don't >write down< the accurate stuff that they would provide at a FREE consult, they not only earn their living dispensing such knowledge,

>they know<
that the likely blow back is delivered as a subpoena ...
you good tina? I'm good, we're good ...

:scholar: Let us finish this to its inevitable conclusion.

The call having been made to raise the discussion to an Expert level, I'll :scholar: second it.
I nominate an EA accountant to be named after a review of their bona fides
To Speak with great Authority and Finality as to why Some states do
and other states don't have EA collecting taxes on UO for them.

I now make motion that the debate be held in recess until such time as the aforementioned expert presents their person to make their expert testimony known to the forum at large.

Note to Mods: that would be "suspended" as an ""ongoing/active"" topic until a final answer is known.
suspended as opposed >against< a hardlock/removal/replacement(move)
You will of course receive my full and compliant support with ANY decision you reach and act upon.

Can the motion receive a Second?

Fayled Dhreams
un-paid Tax consultant to the gods ...

Seconded?

I will accept This snippet AS a second to my motion.

If your use of EA Services is subject to use or sales tax, then EA may also charge you for any such taxes, in addition to the subscription or other fees. For further information, visit support.ea.com.
Thank you EA.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to summarize, these states don't seem to have state (and local) sales tax: Alaska; Delaware; Montana; New Hampshire; and Oregon.

People who've reported in this thread seeing a tax tacked onto their $12.99 monthly subscription since renewing their subscriptions in the new accounting system:

Colorado - Ludes for $1.04 and me for $1.00

Florida - Lord Genesis for $0.90

Iowa - MalagAste for 8% ($1.04?)

Missouri - Bahama Mama for $0.55

Montana - Ezekiel Zane for $0.00

Ohio - Rodan/Linu for $0.91

Oklahoma - Aboo for $1.12, Jirel and Hera75 for $1.17

Oregon - Martyna Zmuir for $0.00

Texas - Kelmo for $1.07

Virginia - G.v.P for 5% ($0.65?)

US Unknown Location - Spellywellyboo for $1.05; PlayerSkillFTW for $1.13; LadySteele for $1.41

Anyone else living in the US want to provide the state where they live and the dollar amount of any tax on their $12.99 monthly subscription in the new accounting system?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Texas...

Ultima Online: 1 Month Subscription $ $12.99

Tax: $1.07
Total: $14.06

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Tina-

I'm in Oklahoma like Aboo but I'm being charged $1.17 per account.

So its $12.99 + $1.17 = 14.16 per account.

Aboo- I'm curious which county are you in? I'm over here in the NE in Rogers county?

Okay after looking up tax rates ..I'm getting charged the Claremore, OK rate of 9%......That's crap! I'm in the county well OUTSIDE Claremore city limits!

I should be paying Rogers County rate 6% which would be 77 cent per account. I KNEW I was getting jacked!!! LMAO

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always paid taxes on this... Wouldn't you think it would be weird if you didn't?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am being charged 8% Sales Tax. Which is 100% silly because the sales tax rate in Iowa is 6%...... So who's getting the extra 2%????

That's what I'd like to know. And seeing as I'm not supposed to be charged sales tax in the first place I'd like to know what state is getting this tax? If anyone is.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am being charged 8% Sales Tax. Which is 100% silly because the sales tax rate in Iowa is 6%...... So who's getting the extra 2%????

That's what I'd like to know. And seeing as I'm not supposed to be charged sales tax in the first place I'd like to know what state is getting this tax? If anyone is.
Found this tool on the Iowa Department of Revenue site: https://www.idr.iowa.gov/salestaxlookup/index.asp .

And maybe these help a little? http://www.iowa.gov/tax/educate/localoption.html and http://www.iowa.gov/tax/educate/78601.html

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone else living in the US want to provide the state where they live and the dollar amount of any tax on their $12.99 monthly subscription in the new accounting system?
It's % ... dollar amount doesn't matter really, just the %. VA pays 5% now.

I've always paid taxes on this... Wouldn't you think it would be weird if you didn't?
Depends on tax law. In VA you have to pay 5% if you purchase over $100 worth of stuff on the Internet for example without having to pay any tax. Means I'll be paying a little more overall on taxes per year, like maybe a few cents ;P...but still. I could buy a candy bar with that...;(