• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EC vs 2D

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DenAlton036

I've been playing the EC for more than a year now and like it a lot, especially with Pinco's UI. However, once in a while I have to use 2d for things such as customizing a house and or decorating... I just can't figure out for the life of me why so many still use the old 2d...:wall: IMO it looks horrible and is like wearing hand cuffs, it has so many limits compared to the EC.

I can't figure out why the game developers don't just nix 2d once and for all and focus all attention on the EC. Ive gamed for a long time and this one makes me scratch my head. But it sure makes for an entertaining debate in the forums.

:wall:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Touch my classic client and I will chew your fingers off and spit them in your face :twak:

As an *old-school* player, I prefer the classic 2d over the *new and improved* EC. I've watched videos, I've seen plenty of pictures of the new UI, and personally, I don't like it. It's not UO...it's not the UO I love.

I am really glad that the classic client is still available and I hope it always will be. When KR came out, I tried it..didn't like it. Things looked...different..not necessarily better...the slotted backpacks and *improved* paperdoll...not UO lol it lost it's...old school feel. I guess for old players like me, the CC is like home and I don't want it to go away.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EC all the way. CC feels incredibly sluggish, the game window takes about maybe a quarter of my screen, the grid inventory is so much more organized, you can equip all your stuff instantly with a click of a button, Pinco's UI, etc.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I totally agree with Larisa, TOUCH MY CLASSIC CLIENT AN DIE !!

For one other then what Larisa stated many players cant stand the EC client for visual reasons. I had a stroke and the EC makes my head ache after a few minutes.. ite the way it effects my eyes. Others do not like it ether for other reasons.

Now Petra, May I suguest you lock this up dear before we have a war on our hands over a subject we have covered many times.

W

Woodsman

I can't figure out why the game developers don't just nix 2d once and for all and focus all attention on the EC.
Because it caused too much drama in the past. The time for forcing people onto one client was probably back during Third Dawn. They thought people would switch, even made content available only to the newer client and put the Classic Client on a timer, but things didn't pan out for various reasons.

The CC is no longer on a timer and CC users are no longer having to worry that their client will be removed, so a lot of the anger at the 3D/KR/EC clients has gone away.

If they do the graphics update right, they might get a lot of CC converts, especially if somebody comes up with a CC version of Pinco's UI that retains all of the same styling. Most CC users I know would love to have a larger game area.

D

DenAlton036

EC all the way. CC feels incredibly sluggish, the game window takes about maybe a quarter of my screen, the grid inventory is so much more organized, you can equip all your stuff instantly with a click of a button, Pinco's UI, etc.
Exactly... I cringe everytime I see a 2d backpack/vendor lol. And the game window is not even practicle with 22 inch 1650 display. Just boggles my mind.

Lady, you make a great point that is fully respected.. BUT then you suggest to lock the thread because the topic has been debated too many times before?? Thats the whole point, it NEEDS to be debated over and over if need be (you dont have to reply or even read it) for obvious reasons of this game advancing into the future :)

D

DenAlton036

Because it caused too much drama in the past. The time for forcing people onto one client was probably back during Third Dawn. They thought people would switch, even made content available only to the newer client and put the Classic Client on a timer, but things didn't pan out for various reasons.
Thank you, well explained. I played UO before the change and after, but was not playing when this all went down. Imagine if EA had done this with something like the Madden franchise :coco:.

Triberius

Firefall Moderator | LotRO Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been playing the EC for more than a year now and like it a lot, especially with Pinco's UI. However, once in a while I have to use 2d for things such as customizing a house and or decorating... I just can't figure out for the life of me why so many still use the old 2d...:wall: IMO it looks horrible and is like wearing hand cuffs, it has so many limits compared to the EC.

I can't figure out why the game developers don't just nix 2d once and for all and focus all attention on the EC. Ive gamed for a long time and this one makes me scratch my head. But it sure makes for an entertaining debate in the forums.

Focusing on strictly the EC won't help anything in the long run as far as declining player base, cheating, and improving the game play experience by a large factor etc... To really do something about overhauling UO and modernizing it they need to focus on the server side, and rebuild it from the ground up first then look at modernizing the client side of things. I expressed my views on it on a personal blog if you want to see what all I have to say then just look here.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I agree that it's good to have this debate every now and then, as long as people don't get all crazy and try to force people to see their ways.

Another reason to love UO is the choices. Some chose to use the CC, and others the EC, I've seen pictures of Pinco's UI and I will admit it's very nice and very well done, but it doesn't have the classic UO feel for me.

I'm VERY glad that we still have the choice to play one or the other.

C

Capn Kranky

Yup - CC all the way.

As for the CC play window too small, have all of you EC users forgotten that resolution can be changed in Windows? Several probably have 2 monitors, run EC on one, CC on the other at 1024x768. Then you can use both and see what you're doing.

I have a 21" widescreen and have no problem altering the resolution so I can use the client that is UO.

W

Woodsman

Thank you, well explained. I played UO before the change and after, but was not playing when this all went down. Imagine if EA had done this with something like the Madden franchise :coco:.
Actually with those games, over time the interfaces do change, but it's subtle.

Now, modern MMOs are expected to be released with clients where the players can customize the interfaces to their hearts content.

Technically, there is nothing stopping anybody from making a new UI for the EC that mirrors the CC. Pinco even has some of the backpacks/bags from the CC in the EC. The gameplay graphics would be different and most of the third party programs, both approved and unapproved, would not work, but otherwise the interface would closely resemble what CC users already have, just with a larger gameplay area. As far as third party programs, Pinco has done quite a bit to replicate some of the functionality from them within the EC.

W

Woodsman

Focusing on strictly the EC won't help anything in the long run as far as declining player base
If they want to attract new players, and consider that 18-25 year olds were either not alive or not aware of say Ultima VII, then the EC and a graphics update is a major part of that. Younger players expect high resolution graphics and expect user interfaces that they can customize to fit their style.
, cheating, and improving the game play experience by a large factor etc...
I agree completely that those are serious problems. I haven't seen anything done to stop the scripters, unfortunately.
To really do something about overhauling UO and modernizing it they need to focus on the server side, and rebuild it from the ground up first then look at modernizing the client side of things.
They did rebuild it when they moved from Solaris/Suns to Intel, but are you talking about an actual move to 3D? I don't see that happening at all, as much as I think it would help. Short of a move to 3D, there's not a lot that can be done on the server side to help with the player experience.

B

BellaofCats

I love 2D but I did recently try and give the EC a go. There are many things in the EC that I do not like graphically and that is my main reason for sticking with 2D. I realize how crazy that may sound to some considering how old the 2D graphics are, but it is what it is. That is not to say if the look of the EC was up to my "standard" (how I'd like the animals, monsters etc. to look) vs. how they look now, I'd probably change over in a heartbeat. The only animal that I actually do like at this point in the EC is the cusidhe.

That being said, I was still going to give the EC a go (along with Pinco's) because of how awsome I hear they work together and I'd really like to experience the ease of the EC macro system. But I could not get Pinco's to work with the EC and I gave up due to frustration. Yes, this was purely me although I'd like to think that I'm not THAT technically challenged. I followed a link somewhere on these boards on how to install Pinco's so it worked with the EC but I never did get it right.

That said, should the choice come down to picking the EC or not being able to play then I'd go with the EC because I enjoy UO too much to give it up for graphics alone.

A

anna anomalous

hopefully they nix both and force everyone to the newest client their developing. doubt they would though. i'm guessing they will drop off the EC since it's still in "beta".

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

All they(the developers) have to do to get wider acceptance is to create EC only content that you dont have to pay for. A simple peerless boss or "encounter" that can only be done with the EC client. It's that simple. Sure all the CC moes will cry and complain but if it is done for free then their argument won't hold any weight and it will drive more people to the EC, myself included.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hopefully they nix both and force everyone to the newest client their developing. doubt they would though. i'm guessing they will drop off the EC since it's still in "beta".
They're (supposedly) working on new art for the EC. If they drop it, it won't be for some time.

I would love for both to be discontinued if we got a new, modern client though. Like Diablo III or Torchlight in graphics.

W

Woodsman

All they(the developers) have to do to get wider acceptance is to create EC only content that you dont have to pay for.
I was going to remind you that they tried that with the Third Dawn, but saw the "don't have to pay for" bit.

If they would do the graphics update right and if the EC was a lot more solid, then I think people would migrate over naturally. In the past, a lot of mistakes were made with the 3D and KR clients that hopefully they won't make this time around.

I do miss the 3D client at times.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they want to attract new players, and consider that 18-25 year olds were either not alive or not aware of say Ultima VII, then the EC and a graphics update is a major part of that. Younger players expect high resolution graphics and expect user interfaces that they can customize to fit their style.
FFS get real.

The "enhanced" client isnt going to even come close to cutting the mustard with todays generation of gamers. The only way you are going to attract them (new players) is with a full 3d revamp of UO.

EC is no better than the tried and tested CC. In fact its worse. The majority still play CC and the EC doesnt do sweet FA to attract new players.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
FFS get real.

The "enhanced" client isnt going to even come close to cutting the mustard with todays generation of gamers. The only way you are going to attract them (new players) is with a full 3d revamp of UO.

EC is no better than the tried and tested CC. In fact its worse. The majority still play CC and the EC doesnt do sweet FA to attract new players.
If the graphics are done well, people will play 2D/isometric games.

EC is in fact much better than the CC when you take the time to get used to it. I used to hate it and just go back to the CC and UOA, but now I can't use the CC at all. It's just too choppy and small and not functional.

W

Woodsman

FFS get real.

The "enhanced" client isnt going to even come close to cutting the mustard with todays generation of gamers.
And the CC will cut the mustard? While the graphics are lacking, today's generation does expect UIs that are customizable, and the EC offers that.

They also expect a resolution that is at least on par with the current smartphones :lol: Unfortunately, even though the EC offers a scalable interface and larger gameplay areas, the actual graphics are still low resolution :(
The only way you are going to attract them (new players) is with a full 3d revamp of UO.
Speaking of getting real, EA will not make a full 3D revamp of UO both because of the cost involved and because a segment of players would rather quit than be forced into anything other than the CC.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I gave up on the 2d Client.

I've been using the EC almost exclusively for over a year now and well since I have used Pinco's... I'd never go back to the 2d client again.

In my opinion if Pinco's were part of the EC from the start... the 2d client would be done.

A

anna anomalous

apparently they are doing just that, revamping and trying 3D again. if it has all the features of the EC, i'm in. playing a client just for it's nostalgic quality is fruitless when you have another client offering SO much more.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they ever get rid of 2D they can say good bye to an eleven year loyal player.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FFS get real.

The "enhanced" client isnt going to even come close to cutting the mustard with todays generation of gamers.
And the CC will cut the mustard? While the graphics are lacking, today's generation does expect UIs that are customizable, and the EC offers that.

They also expect a resolution that is at least on par with the current smartphones :lol: Unfortunately, even though the EC offers a scalable interface and larger gameplay areas, the actual graphics are still low resolution :(
The only way you are going to attract them (new players) is with a full 3d revamp of UO.
Speaking of getting real, EA will not make a full 3D revamp of UO both because of the cost involved and because a segment of players would rather quit than be forced into anything other than the CC.
Nope. CC does not cut the mustard. Unfortunately neither does the EC. Bottom line is neither will get in new players.

Youre also right ... there wont be a true 3d version of UO.

So where does that leave us ... with UO being a niche game hanging onto its existing subscriber base for survival. The cc/ec debate is therefore pointless to some degree. Neither one will give UO longevity as far as new players. However ... if they ditched the cc then UO would go under a lot quicker than if they ditched the EC

W

Woodsman

All they(the developers) have to do to get wider acceptance is to create EC only content that you dont have to pay for. A simple peerless boss or "encounter" that can only be done with the EC client. It's that simple.
Not to change the thread, but let me ask you this: How do you think it would be received if they mange the EC upgrade using existing and KR artwork, and then start offering EC-only content for a price, like the mini-boosters or whatever? Would CC users get pissed off?

W

Woodsman

apparently they are doing just that, revamping and trying 3D again. if it has all the features of the EC, i'm in. playing a client just for it's nostalgic quality is fruitless when you have another client offering SO much more.
It's not going to be 3D - they've already said this several times, the client updates are going to be using existing and KR artwork. 3D would be a nice gift for next year's anniversary, but most of the MMO money in BioWare is going into Star Wars.

If you download UO:Reader from the UO:Reader thread, you can see some of the artwork that might end up in the graphics upgrade. Dermott of LS said he found a bunch of KR artwork.

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've done a quick scan of this thread - if I missed this, I apologize, but....

If a CC player does not like the look of their paperdoll or backpack or other containers or the new targeting in EC, *they have the option of using* that "legacy" artwork in EC.

In other words, you can still have your CC paperdoll, backpack, containers, and targeting *even* in EC.

I wonder how many people are unaware of this. All you have to do is go into EC options and set these for 'legacy.'

And again, if someone above mentioned this, apologies. But I didn't see it with a quick scan (and I'm at work).

A

anna anomalous

New Ultima Online*
•A new 3D version of EA‟s“ UltimaOnline™”, in collaboration with EA‟s Mythic Entertainment
•Expected to be launched in 2012

where did they say it's not going to be 3D?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they ever get rid of 2D they can say good bye to an eleven year loyal player.
Explain this mentality. If you're so loyal, why will you quit just because the game is moving forward while keeping the same gameplay?

M

Myna

i use both, because both have advantages and disadvantages

and i must say EC is just with pincos UI worth playing otherwise i would stick to classic... and i dont know why it is necessary that a single man like pinco do the job the dev with more capacity should do!

thx for the ui pinco

btw. walking/running in ec is still not smooth like in cc and my quad core pc is just a year old

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Main reason I use EC has to be the very small resolution 2D offers, 800x600 on a 1920x1080 26 inch monitor is just ridiculous.

I edit videos and photos and I'm not going to adjust it every time to play a game, It's set perfectly how it should be.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i use both, because both have advantages and disadvantages

and i must say EC is just with pincos UI worth playing otherwise i would stick to classic... and i dont know why it is necessary that a single man like pinco do the job the dev with more capacity should do!

thx for the ui pinco

btw. walking/running in ec is still not smooth like in cc and my quad core pc is just a year old
Seriously? Whenever I go back to the CC it looks like I'm teleporting from tile to tile. Movement is just so choppy.

A

anna anomalous

same here. i feel the movement in EC is MUCH smoother than classic.

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
classic is like steping in somthing a dog left behind on the street compared to EC.

EC all the way kill 2d now! if you won't switch then ill enjoy looting your homes as they become idocs :p

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
classic is like steping in somthing a dog left behind on the street now compared to EC.

EC all the way kill 2d now! if you won't switch then ill enjoy looting your homes as they become idocs :p
Be careful what you wish for. The end of CC means the end of UO. The remaining EC players wouldnt be enough to make the game sustainable.

W

Woodsman

New Ultima Online*
•A new 3D version of EA‟s“ UltimaOnline™”, in collaboration with EA‟s Mythic Entertainment
•Expected to be launched in 2012

where did they say it's not going to be 3D?
Where did they say it was going to be for our UO? Besides the fact that there has been no actual evidence outside of a few sentences in some PR material and taglines, what they are talking about is a complete 3D game, and to work with our UO would require a complete overhaul of our UO's server and client code and it would mean the 2D/CC users would be screwed since you couldn't have the two co-existing.

If they were actually doing this for our UO, they would have dumped the EC in a heartbeat and wouldn't be screwing with updating the graphics.

They aren't doing this with our UO though, there's no way to get a full 3D world working side-by-side with the 2D/CC users, and those people would bail on it so fast your head would spin. The 2D/CC users who make up the majority of players would be incredibly super pissed because they were just told not long ago that there were no more timers on the 2D/CC client and that their client would continue to be supported going forward, and that EA wasn't looking to replace their client.

W

Woodsman

Be careful what you wish for. The end of CC means the end of UO. The remaining EC players wouldnt be enough to make the game sustainable.
That's why I have to laugh a bit everytime somebody says the NetDragon stuff is going to apply to us. According to Cal, 70% of the players are using CC, and many of those players would bail on a 3D version, especially if it had the same cartoony graphics that NetDragon's other stuff does.

Hell, I'd probably bail and I'm a die-hard EC user these days. While 3D would be great, I'm tired of cartoony 3D graphics. My wife is still surprised that I occasionally play WoW. I'm glad that Star Wars is avoiding that for the most part, but the Bioware guys seem to be aware that a lot of people don't care for that.

A

anna anomalous

they most likely wont ever drop the classic client, which is a shame because scripts and third party programs are only possible with it.

on the other hand, i don't think people are so attached to the current enhanced client and would have no problem if they were to see it's functionality introduced to a real graphic engine.

it doesn't say it will be for america's UO, but there is evidence to hint that they may get a license after they see increased revenue in those other countries, as they have done that for past games.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they most likely wont ever drop the classic client, which is a shame because scripts and third party programs are only possible with it.
this is totally and utterly an urban myth. Scripts and 3rd party programs DO run and ARE run in the EC.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to change the thread, but let me ask you this: How do you think it would be received if they mange the EC upgrade using existing and KR artwork, and then start offering EC-only content for a price, like the mini-boosters or whatever? Would CC users get pissed off?
I'm sure it would. It would mean they would be paying their monthly fees for the team to develop for the EC which they don't care for. The problem is not the hard-liners we have here on the boards. All the warriors here are not quite as present in any of the 3 shards I have played on. Still they(EA in all it's forms of UO governance) are terribly inept at delivering content on a regular basis so they have to play any moves like this carefully. It should be added with CC content in the beginning to build a better ec base.

Let me ask you this: If the offered a peerless boss que function(yea just like WoW or whatever other "crappy" MMO has) do you think a large portion of the mid-line CC users would switch? Let's go one step further: What if the EC offered a battleground capture the flag type deal where 10 on 10(5 on 5, etc) teams could battle for some shiney trinket or title or something to make them all warm and fuzzy?

It's all in the package they present. I play the CC. I have no reason to switch. That is it. I just don't have the need. I can already do everything in UO that can be done with my current client and graphics are not a big enough factor to relearn a game I have been playing for 12 yrs.

Willard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started playing in 1999 and have only stopped playing regularly for 1 year to travel, but maintained all my accounts. When I first tried the EC, I hated it--but, I gave it another try and now I could never go back to the CC as it feels like I am playing with a stripped down version of the game. I used to run the CC and the EC, but do not even do that now because Pinco's UI covers anything I needed to do in the CC, like organize vendors.
I will not go on to list and explain all the great things about the EC as those that use it already know and those that claim they do not want to lose the "Classic Feel" will probably not change, and anyone that is new can go to the EC boards or visit Pinco's site: Pinco's UI.

Change is Good....mostly!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

I would like some changes to my good old client as the new one still have to many problems. I crash to offen with the new one, that's not a problem if on my crafter but fighting players or monsters it sure is a problem
Also decoing is a pain in the new client and I risk to ruin my items.

My problem with old client is the limit in size of the game windows, the window is only filling 1/4 of my screen, the rest is black. I need an option for the game window to be bigger than 800x600.

But on the other hand, if they did fix all the bugs in the new client, that one would be my favorite.

W

Woodsman

Like siteswap said, this is untrue. You can also bet that development of those programs would 100% shift to EC if they had ever dropped the CC.
it doesn't say it will be for america's UO, but there is evidence to hint that they may get a license after they see increased revenue in those other countries, as they have done that for past games.
I'll repeat myself: If they wanted to have a fully 3D UO, they would have to rewrite the server and client code, and the 2D/CC client would have go to away, along with the diehard 2D/CC users. EA is not going to risk losing those people. The systems are not compatible.

If they were to convert UO, they wouldn't farm it out to a third party since BioWare now runs things in relation to RPG/MMO stuff within EA, and BioWare is using HeroEngine for their MMO-type stuff from here on out for both the client and server side. It's a shame they couldn't easily convert Camelot, Warhammer, and UO to HeroEngine :( because content addition would be a lot easier and better, among other things. Plus HeroEngine works with some of the tools that the BioWare/Mythic folks outside of Star Wars already use. The content creation alone would be awesome. I've read the horror stories involved in adding new content to UO, and that's after they've streamlined some of it.

But it's not going to happen because of the drama that would ensue with 2D/CC users bailing.

W

Woodsman

Let me ask you this: If the offered a peerless boss que function(yea just like WoW or whatever other "crappy" MMO has) do you think a large portion of the mid-line CC users would switch? Let's go one step further: What if the EC offered a battleground capture the flag type deal where 10 on 10(5 on 5, etc) teams could battle for some shiney trinket or title or something to make them all warm and fuzzy?
It's an interesting thought and might convince some. The way the client battles of the past were handled obviously didn't work, and it's not simply content alone, otherwise people would have switched for the original 3D/Third Dawn client just to get access to Ilsh. Somebody made a good argument that the KR should have been kept that that Stygian Abyss should have been KR only. That would have tempted many CC users. While that's simply content on the surface, I think Stygian Abyss would have been more of a lure than Ilshenar.

I think the biggest issue is stability and performance. If they can knock out the bugs that lead to the EC horror stories being posted, they could go a long way towards converting people. On top of that, if they do the graphics update right, a lot of CC users would probably switch just to see things in a higher resolution, since it would be using the existing graphics they are used to (plus some of the KR stuff).
It's all in the package they present. I play the CC. I have no reason to switch. That is it. I just don't have the need. I can already do everything in UO that can be done with my current client and graphics are not a big enough factor to relearn a game I have been playing for 12 yrs.
With the EC, it was apparently a group package since Warhammer, Camelot, and UO's EC all run on the same client software. If after Star Wars launches, BioWare came back and said they wanted to shift at least Camelot and UO over to HeroEngine, I think the incentive would be there for some CC users, because moving over to HeroEngine, besides being the engine/server software that BioWare wants to use from here on out, would allow for much easier content creation and better performance for players. That would involve a 3D conversion though, even if they tried to lock the camera with an isometric perspective. I hope they move Camelot over to HeroEngine though.

If UO was on HeroEngine right now, we'd probably have twice or three times as much content added in the last six months than we've had, even with the current staffing levels. Plus it would be easier to borrow artists from BioWare/EA proper since the pool of people who could readily contribute would be much larger.

I don't see Warhammer lasting through the end of the year or early next - besides all of the numerous problems they've had, there is now another company licensed to make a Warhammer MMO.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the only reason i still use the CC is to burn murder counts.. they put a stupid timer in the EC that logs you out after a few minutes of not moving.

O

Old Man of UO

the only reason i still use the CC is to burn murder counts.. they put a stupid timer in the EC that logs you out after a few minutes of not moving.
Not if you minimize the EC client... dunno why, just doesn't log you out.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As tired as I am about the whole argument (at times), I'll simply say this:

I believe that the people who are "2d or die" type of accounts are an anchor to the game in a negative sense. The inability to update in a genre that is based on continuous updates and evolution to me means that you're playing the wrong game.

That being said...

FINISH the work on the EC... at least in as much as you can finish the work on a constantly changing game... Get the resolution up to something reasonable. Items made for 640x480 do NOT scale well in 1920x1080... they didn't scale well in 1280x1024 via the 3d client and they don't now. Get as many of the bugs worked out as possible. Offer the options for people to scale the quality of the client to their machine specs, but if you fall below those specs, then tough, it's LONG past time to upgrade. The EC holds the weird distinction of being the first Ultima title that DOWNGRADES the minimum/required specs from the last version. Every previous iteration from the single player to even the (now) Classic UO client itself required a high end machine when they were first released. So accept the reality that you might have to spend a few bucks to get up to par. Some research on Newegg will accomplish this and be a lot cheaper than you think.

Take every client resource you have available and focus on a HUGE push for the EC to get it up past "good enough" and to "amazing", then put the CC on "coast" mode only updating it to keep it running.

Personally I'd rather the CC just be shut down after the EC gets to where it needs to be as a client, but I understand that the CC can have a place on portable systems such as netbooks and the like, which even now becomes less and less an issue with netbooks getting their own upgraded video capabilities. So keep the CC for now, but realize at some point, regardless of all of the "If you shut it down I'll quit" posts it's going to serve UO better to let the SNES era go.

Maybe in the end combine the three constant gripes by making the 2d client web based, free to play on a separate classic server and let standard production UO finally be able to move forward.

Edit: Yes I have found some things via UO Reader, but have my reasons not to go on a posting spree with them... as much fun as it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.