• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it any chance for a 20 ps with GM or less than 110 fishing?

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hiya!

Just wondering if im wasting my time doing the quests for a ps. Im at 105,5 atm - and running quest like a crazy now for 2 days.

But - i wonder if its any good doing them before i hit 110 fishing?

D

DVDA

I cant say for sure, but I went from 100 to 115 without getting a single PS, not even a 105.

I got a 105 the other day while capped at 115.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Short answer: It's almost impossible at that level. However, at 106 fishing you'll start being offered Dungeon Fish, and that's what you need to get a realistic (if still stupidly grindy) chance at the 120 scroll.

And you need to keep doing the quests now to get all the range of fish up in reputation so you roll as many 20 units of fish per scroll as often as possible. Shore fish count for 0.5 points, Deep Sea and Crustaceans as 1, and Dungeon Fish as 1.5... I got my 120ps on a 110 point hand in. Even with Dungeon then, you won't get there even if you rolled a 6 slot order of only 10 fish each. I'd done about 300 quests by then, and the scroll was on something like a 4x15 Dungeon Fish and 2x20 Deep Sea Fish order.

The odds are still very low even with that much fishing done (and the Dragonfish Book 6 is still missing, so it may be at an even more insanely low set of odds or huge level of fish) because you'll just get bait constantly. So all you can do is slog out the fish crates alas, and hope to roll those dice on loadsa fish as often as possible. Which means putting the work in as soon as possible.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I got my first 120 PS at 109.7 fishing, running about 15-25 quests a week (sometimes as many as 40 if I got bored).

S

soulstoner

Yes! bf just got first 120 this evening at 107.7 skill from a 210 point crate. :danceb:
Prior to that the only scrolls he'd gotten were about 4 105 scrolls. (I'd fronted him a 110 to bump past 106 for the dungeon fish). He always did one quest at a time and about 5 - 20 quests a week.

I'm at 108.x and have gotten a few 110's and 105's here and there and do about 5 - 20 quests per week generally between 2 and 4 quests running at a time.

The points described above for the 210 point crate are from the official value counts as:
3 points per dungeon fish (15 + 20 = 105)
2 points per deep water and crustaceans (15 + 20 = 70)
1 point per shallow water fish (15 + 20 = 35)

a nice well balanced array :)

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Akk, one more fish sort to farm then before i can do the damn quest again.

Im good on all sorts except dungeons, been fishing for 2 weeks now like a crazy and stocked up crabs and lobsters...

Guess I need to get my packies over to ilsh then and start fishing, or some other dungeons...need to make me a dungeon rune book for fishing.

D

DVDA

Sounds like you guys are getting luckly, i barely get any quests with more than 3 different types of fish and the reward is always trash

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, im running as many quests I can same time. Its the rng - so the more large quests i get to same city - the better. I even managed to get one 105 and one 110 in same drop...had 3 large quests to moonglow.

But - now im working my last skills from 105,5 to 106 so i can get the large ones that will count me in at 20 ps.

I do have enough loyalty with them now I think, I get a fair lot large with 20 pieces. But, i guess its not high enough count for any ps higher than +10.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sounds like you guys are getting luckly, i barely get any quests with more than 3 different types of fish and the reward is always trash
What it is, is that the number of lines is based on the percentage of fish types you've done that number of quests for successfully (the chance of 2 lines is based on fish you done quests for twice, etc.)., and you have to make a check each line (so you have to make 5 checks successfully to get a 6-liner). Around of 105 (before you can even get quests for them) dungeon fish get added to the equation, lowering the chance of quests to be 2 lines by 30%, 3 lines by about half, 4 lines by 2/3, and pretty much eliminating 5 & 6 line quest chancess for a hundred or more quests.

If the non-quest fish that require 100, 110 or 120 count (they aren't supposed to, as described), that would make it harder, and would make it impossible (since they aren't quest fish) to have a 100% chance for line gains.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The points described above for the 210 point crate are from the official value counts as:
3 points per dungeon fish (15 + 20 = 105)
2 points per deep water and crustaceans (15 + 20 = 70)
1 point per shallow water fish (15 + 20 = 35)

a nice well balanced array :)

The statement in the Friday FAQ regarding weighting was this:

"How is the reward for finished quest decided?

There are categories based on order size. There is some overlap, but you get different prizes for a small order than you get for a big order. The size of the order is weighted depending on whether you are catching shallow water fish (x1), deep water fish(x2), or dungeon fish (x3). "

Assuming either it means the prize groupings work on this, or the fish do as well, then the total points where I got my PS120 were something around 260 points.

Both UOGuide and the Pinco UI though have the values as 0.5, 1 and 1.5 for the fish itself.

Professional Fisher Quest - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Which put my PS120 at 110 points.

However, new information updated there seems to indicate that handing in a 20 fish quest rolls you around back to 10 again. That can't be right? If so it's appalling design, as it means you are actually punished for success; and when you've got 6 slots of fish going at once, every one that's a 20 actually pushes you multiple steps back down the loot ladder despite putting weeks of effort in. It would however explain the sudden appearance of extremely low orders despite all the work done previously.

S

soulstoner

right - for each fish it cycles 10 – 15 – 20 – 10 – 15 –20 ….

I’m actually glad for that as it provides opportunity to rotate fish stock, if my orders got to a point to always request 20 of a particular fish it would increase the time needed to fish in between orders (t'seems). Many times I am glad to know that the next request for rock crab or bluegill will be back to 10.

Plus - it IS kinda kewl that 120s don't drop that easily --
I'm still hopin' :pancakes:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
right - for each fish it cycles 10 – 15 – 20 – 10 – 15 –20 ….

I’m actually glad for that as it provides opportunity to rotate fish stock, if my orders got to a point to always request 20 of a particular fish it would increase the time needed to fish in between orders (t'seems). Many times I am glad to know that the next request for rock crab or bluegill will be back to 10.

Plus - it IS kinda kewl that 120s don't drop that easily --
I'm still hopin' :pancakes:
You say that now. But when you realise how much time I think you'll change your opinion. After all, you still seem to roll a particular set of relatively rare dropping Crustaceans over and over again; Spiney Lobster I'm looking at you! Which take an awful amount of time to get; and then when you hand it in... surprise! Spiney again, and now you're back to 10 and so another 2-3 days of fishing and questing to get it back up to 20 and get crack at a scroll again, assuming all the other fish you've randomly rolled are on that cycle again.

And when you get that crack... it turns out to be bait instead.

And then when you do get it, about 60 hours constant Deep Sea fishing to get to 120 skill itself.

Which I know, because I've done it; I've got my Legendary Fisher now. But the system is still terrible for the rest of you. I may have been lucky, but I'm not going to ignore what it means in general... there's a reason the scrolls are going for around 60m on Europa. It's the same reason you would love to win the lottery too; and why you never will. The odds are just ridiculous.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
UOGuide and Pinco base the numbers off the fish bait count, which the devs stated was the point value divided by two (capped at 100) - but not after a lot of people took the fish bait count method as gospel. In fact, there was a thread early on where people kept talking 0.5/1.0/1.5, and the devs didn't have a clue what the hell the people were talking about, saying that the system was totally based on whole numbers (and I had to explain it to Mark in a PM so he could figure out what was meant).

The problem is, of course, that bait count method breaks down at over 100, since the baits are capped at 100, and only serves to confuse those that don't know about the cap. Treating the bait reward as a derived value of the Dev numbers, instead of being a 1-to-1 correlation to the quest value, reduces the opportunity for confusion.

To make a BOD analogy, I could rewrite the BOD reward numbers, using the square root of the fame each BOD gives, and have a system that would work for most BODs, but those numbers still wouldn't be the ones in the actual software for the reward calculations, just a related number derived from the same number that the rewards are calculated from.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is, of course, that bait count method breaks down at over 100, since the baits are capped at 100, and only serves to confuse those that don't know about the cap.
Question.

Does that mean that if one gets as a reward a 100 count bait, this means that the fish monger order just turned in was a 200 or more points order ?

That is, each and every time a player gets a 100 count bait it "could have been" a 120 fishing powerscroll, instead ??

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep, though the chance of a fishing PS off any given drop appears to be about 1 in 10, and from of the dev statements, it would seem that even if you got a scroll, it's not guaranteed to be a 120, but could be a step or two lower.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welp, I did a week of fishing now. Got my +10 scroll and started doing quests at 106 again. Then I decided yesterday that id farm some dungeon fishes - and went to sudiva in coveteous. I had a rune marked at the stairs down and recal in with 3 packies. Now, it takes me around 2 hrs to fill thoose 3 packies down there - and I decided to take another full round and started at round 3. So totally i spent 6 hrs fishing dungeon fishes before I started at quests...

Started really good, with 2 drops in a row for a +10, and during the next hrs i got 7 5'ers and one more 10.

Then the big quest comes (counted 260)...and im excited for to fill it up and hand it in.... - but reward wasnt what I hoped for. Got bait for 100 void crabs...:sad2:

But my very next quest was another 6 liner, and the count was 220. I also had a small one to fill - and both was for skara.... So, I rushed home to gather fish and crabs and went to the mongor again...closed my backpack and was afraid to look at the journal...

I got a small bait for the small one, and a nice scroll telling me powerscroll of fishing +20... That made my day - and all the hrs preparing to run quests worth it all...:love: Needless to say - I ate that white dot of paper on the spot!!!

But the odds of fish and what mongors wants from me is a oddity. In deep fish I got over 1000 of some and equal to 0 of others, and for dungeon fishes i got up to 400 of some and 0 of others again... :gun: