• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Shallow Water Fish in Deep Waters

lankdogg03

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been occasionally catching shallow water fish in deep water. By deep water I mean the middle of the ocean no where near any shores. Has anyone else had this happen?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are a couple of shoals, but most likely you are near a server line in the middle of the sea, as those are considered shallow water.

lankdogg03

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The server line would be the issue. How far away from it do you need to be to not be in the shallows?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's the same distance as you'd need to be from the coast.

However, Server lines are a bit more vague, as the game actually won't let you come within the length of your boat's usable space to the actual line (at least, if perpendicular to the line - it may go be width if parallel to the line - not tested).

On a HS ship of any type, you'll end up jumping over an entire degree as you cross, and that can actually put some SOS locations in the no-man's land between the margins (though you'll still be close enough on either side to fish it up). If you've not become accustomed to it, this can drive you bonkers, when using one of the map programs (you get within 4 or 5 spaces to a SOS, then your ship jumps at least as far past it). You can get closer on a classic ship, and even closer on a rowboat.

Strangely, I've noticed that if my ship is straddling the deep/shallow margin, if I cast in one area, then walk into the other area before the fish comes up, the fish type will be based on the location I am standing at when the fish comes up. Example: I make two casts near a server line, get shallow water fish. I cast from the same spot to the same target water, but move to the other end of the boat before the fish comes up - and I get a Red Snook (or other deepwater fish). So, while nets are based on the targeted water square, casting appears to be based on where you're standing when the fish is caught.

Ertai Vodalion

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
casting appears to be based on where you're standing when the fish is caught.
this is true partially i think.

when you fish from a moving boat and you fish up a serp (Uh Oh - That doesn´t look like a fish) it comes up where you cast, when you fish a serp with MiB, Map or Net it comes up where you are.

we would miss out on alot of the MiBs and Nets if it were otherwise i fear ;)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
casting appears to be based on where you're standing when the fish is caught.
this is true partially i think.

when you fish from a moving boat and you fish up a serp (Uh Oh - That doesn´t look like a fish) it comes up where you cast, when you fish a serp with MiB, Map or Net it comes up where you are.

we would miss out on alot of the MiBs and Nets if it were otherwise i fear ;)
That's a different subject, entirely. I'm talking about where you are standing determining what comes up, not where the thing fished up comes up.

For me, serps always come up from fishing at the boat railing at the point closest to where I cast, unless from a net (where the creatures come up as a group at the target). Technically, the reason why serpents appear to come up away from a moving boat is that by the time the game spawns the serpent, you've moved away from the spawn point, unless castin in fron of your movement.