• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about T-map template

Bob_the_fart_guy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a treasure hunter template, I was wondering if it is worth putting mining on it. I heard a rumor once that if your going after a map location that it helps you zero in on the exact spot, like half a screen away? ? ? ?

Is it helpful enough for me to put mining on my treasure map hunter? Is it worth it?

Current template has magery and evaluate intelligence on it, considering dropping evaluate intelligence for mining.

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only have enough mining to allow me find the treasure spot two spaces away from the exact spot. Even this small amount has allowed me to keep my sanity. If I had more room on my template, I would have 100 mining.

It is also useful when the terrain makes finding the exact spot very difficult, like behind a shrub.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just put gm mining on my treasure hunter. Kicking myself for not doing it before. What a difference!! I strongly recommend that you do it.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great, thank you for the feedback!

Just curious, how "far" will 100 mining show the location of the map from? One square? Two squares?

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • 0 to 50.9 mining gives a 1 tile radius (in other words, you must dig the exact correct spot of the chest)
  • 51 to 80.9 mining gives a 2 tiles radius
  • 81 to 99.9 mining gives a 3 tiles radius
  • 100 mining gives a 4 tiles radius

Frodo Baggins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have mine set at 66, added a +5 mining glove and then added the pick axe that you get for completing a mining quest south of Haven which gives you +10 more to get to 81 skill. Leaves me more room on my template

M

Macrophage999

If you use the enhanced client it s pretty useless to have mining. Uo carto is not bad either.

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Sometimes I thump my head over things other ppl do.

This is me ok...

I get my stack of unopened maps, lets say 16, and I put on carto too open the map and see where is it. Then you take a runebook with 16 blank runes in it and put it and the maps in a bag. Take off carto and put on Mining and go out and find the spot... let it dig till you see a blackish type of spot where he chest is gonna come up, take a step and stop digging. Stand on the spot and mark a rune, label it #1 or whatever and put the map in the bag in what you wanna call the #1 spot, and so on. Do this with all 16 spots. Go back and take off mining and put on lockpicking and whatever your soup of the day skills are for your char. Gate to the spot with that rune and that map, when the gate disappears dig at that exact spot. Poof done.

Yes im aware this works only in places where you can gate/recall too. And im also aware you need soul stones. Im from Siege and its a requirement

Gives you the option to go carto with friends easily or offer "Instant" digs for customers.

Anyway... thats what i do.

U

unified

Good show, Guardian.

Depending on your skills, it may be to your advantage to keep mining on and dig up the chest. Mining, as it is, has the advantage of allowing you to stand far enough away from the chest to place a pet or summon to allow the pet or summon to get targeted instead of you. As a bard, it allows me enough time to pull healthbars and provoke guardians.

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Good show, Guardian.

Depending on your skills, it may be to your advantage to keep mining on and dig up the chest. Mining, as it is, has the advantage of allowing you to stand far enough away from the chest to place a pet or summon to allow the pet or summon to get targeted instead of you. As a bard, it allows me enough time to pull healthbars and provoke guardians.
When im digging I inviso my pet and start digging. I then precast inviso or have my finger hovering above the hide button. I watch the chest come up. Just before the chest pops completely up it has like a 3 sec window that you can cast hide on yourself or hide and NOT be revealed. I target worst villian and proceed. On lvl 6 or 7 I keep the pet a screen and a half away, then I do the same thing except when the spawns out I run like mad to my pets, pick off the ones that may have flagged on me in my hasty retreat, or 1 click them one at a time and deal with it that way.

Also, you can have mining at 0 and still target it 3 spaces away just buy being close enough and targeting that spot.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When im digging I inviso my pet and start digging. I then precast inviso or have my finger hovering above the hide button. I watch the chest come up. Just before the chest pops completely up it has like a 3 sec window that you can cast hide on yourself or hide and NOT be revealed. I target worst villian and proceed. On lvl 6 or 7 I keep the pet a screen and a half away, then I do the same thing except when the spawns out I run like mad to my pets, pick off the ones that may have flagged on me in my hasty retreat, or 1 click them one at a time and deal with it that way.

Also, you can have mining at 0 and still target it 3 spaces away just buy being close enough and targeting that spot.
Another option (on most shards; but not SP) is to mark a rune 2-3 screens away, then precasting recall or sacred journey and targeting the rune, the same way you'd target yourself for invisibility. If your pet is waiting back there (but safely off your marked spot), you can then draw off the spawn one at a time to fight you or your pet, or two at a time to provo.

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Another option (on most shards; but not SP) is to mark a rune 2-3 screens away, then precasting recall or sacred journey and targeting the rune, the same way you'd target yourself for invisibility. If your pet is waiting back there (but safely off your marked spot), you can then draw off the spawn one at a time to fight you or your pet, or two at a time to provo.
Bahhhh, Barneyland shards. Recall... wimps.

Come to Siege Perlious one and all. Where your never safe and just a name popping on the screen can make you jump. :talktothehand:

M

Macrophage999

The real problem with mining unless you want to soulstone is you lose one skill for fighting. With enhanced client or carto it s usually very fast to dig the map.