• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unraveling question

5% Luck

I am just starting up imbuing and read that its better to start with 0 skill and unravel --->~70 skill. Now I have alot of junky magic items that have been sitting around for(read) years! Most of it has multiple properties and usually high end intensity.

At what level skill do I try to unravel what #of properties and intensitys?

Thanks in advance!

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My approach was to unravel everything that I could. If you have zero imbuing you won't be able to unravel some of that stuff for a while. Just put it on the side if it doesn't unravel and get some more then periodically try again. If you use the unravel container option it saves a lot of time. Maybe someone else has a more meaningful answer. I bought imbuing up to as high as I could initially and I believe that will save time. If you don't buy it you will have more resources to use when it comes to getting the scrolls to bind/exchange for a 120 imbuing. So I guess it comes down to if you prefer to use other resources to create stuff to unravel or collect stuff to unravel or just buy the essence or residue you need. But either way you need to collect lots of stuff to unravel anyway unless you have lots of gold to start with.

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was gonna start a new thread but I think it fits here. I can't figure out the basic mechanics of how to unravel anything and have read everything I could find. This is on my 3rd Siege character - one of my other guys has a crafting background including 120 smith/tailor. Other one is a tamer.

This is it. I get to the new Gargoyle City on my now 2 month old human character and park myself in front of a soul forge with weapons in my pack along with a smith hammer and shovel. At this point, what am I supposed to do? Do you say anything, need other tools or need to read a book? When you are at a soul forge what are you supposed to do unravel stuff?

Appreciate any pointers, links, or feedback. Thanks.

Jack Nickelson

M

Macrophage999

To unravel you don't need any tools. Just pack them in a bag or a container, have that container in your backpack and then use skill imbuing. Then choose the unravel container button. Click on the container and voila. Every item will be taken into account as for imbuing gain chances. Once you hit 70 either use the disco trick or start imbuing. You can get to 120 while still imbuing the cheapest mod (usually using one residue and one jewel), simply by imbuing runic items. I don't recall the figures but firstly you make daggers in iron with dull copper runic, then dull copper dagger with dull copper runic, then gold dagger, and imbue them. It doesnt matter much what is your chance of success, you gain pretty steadily anywhere between 25-75 %.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Open your skills scroll and find imbuing click and drag on it and a button will appear on your computer screen. Drag this to a convenient spot and click on it and it will give you choices.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can get to 120 while still imbuing the cheapest mod (usually using one residue and one jewel), simply by imbuing runic items. I don't recall the figures but firstly you make daggers in iron with dull copper runic, then dull copper dagger with dull copper runic, then gold dagger, and imbue them.
Not sure where you got that idea, but it sounds like it would take forever and cost a fortune in colored ingots (if it would even work - it sounds like that, even with gold ingots, you'd hit "too easy" to gain from imbuing around 100 skill). It's easier on your ingot supply (iron is a heck of a lot cheaper, and can be bought in Ilshenar at base value) and faster to use the gain method using exceptional Jingasa in the Imbuing guides in the data chest to get from, if you have the smith skill to make the Jingasa.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My primary Imbuer is 120 but I also keep a secondary Imbuer at Abyss house who does nothing but unravel Cavern of Discard junk. Went from 50 to 88 so far just unraveling low level magics, but the skill raise is due to actual play not training. Anything remotely looks like "relic" candidate i set aside for my Garg 120 Imbuer to unravel at Queen's Forge.

M

Macrophage999

Not sure where you got that idea, but it sounds like it would take forever and cost a fortune in colored ingots (if it would even work - it sounds like that, even with gold ingots, you'd hit "too easy" to gain from imbuing around 100 skill). It's easier on your ingot supply (iron is a heck of a lot cheaper, and can be bought in Ilshenar at base value) and faster to use the gain method using exceptional Jingasa in the Imbuing guides in the data chest to get from, if you have the smith skill to make the Jingasa.
WOW I simply got that from my brain? I bet exceptional jingasa are cheap? Do you even know how many ingots you need to craft a dagger? And you can do ten imbues per before they stop giving gains...
That's what I did to train imbue and it took me a couple of hours to reach 120 and cost me under a million... But, stick to your method, and just ignore others methods because it s not the one listed on the imbuing guides if it makes you feel better;)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Let's see:

Iron Jingasa: 20 ingots x 8 = 160 (the gypsy camps in ilshenar are a wonderful place to shop - that's why they are pointed out in the FAQs as a cheap source of iron, wood and ammo).
DC Dagger: 3 x (50-60) = 150 to 180. I WISH I could go back to the good old days when you could buy DC for 30 to 40 gold each - but I've not seen those prices since the release of Mondain's Legacy.
Gold Dagger: 3 x (80-100) = 240 to 300.

Somehow paying almost twice as much doesn't somehow equal cheaper, after running it through the 40 hours of college math (including 12 hours specifically in teaching methods for Elementary and Middle School math, where I had to effectively go through a refresher on everything from that time period).

And there's definitely no way in hell you can get to 120 imbuing only minimum cost imbues on items like you claim.

Oh, and by the way:

1. I WROTE the FAQs. Try reading them (as it appears that you haven't since the first couple months of SA). I've probably forgotten more about smithing than you've ever known (which you pretty much proved in your snide remarks), and still apparently know more.

2. You've been able to imbue TWENTY times to get gains on an item, since a few months into SA.

3. The DAGGER method was in the ORIGINAL version of the FAQ. It got taken out because it was TOO EXPENSIVE, both in metals and the difference in value between 35-40% DI and Mage armor required more imbuing ingredients prior to switching to the colored metals. The Jingasa method was suggested as a preferable method BECAUSE it only used iron, and therefore didn't require the imbuing trainee to take time out to mine or shop for colored ingots.

In fact, I used daggers up to 70 or so, which is about the time the publish went through making unraveling good up into the 70s for easy gains.

M

Macrophage999

40 luck + 40 DI + 50 LRQ +1 mod from hammer leaves you with one property to imbue. That does bring you to 120... Obviously you have to throw the ones that come with 5 mods. As an alternative you can do the dull dagger with shadow runic (always 4 mods and dull copper is REALLY easy to get with a prosp tool). If you do bods then you have plenty of hammers, and if you don't, well on my shard, they cost around 7-8K each, and 20 are enough so... A good macro and voila. It took me no time to get to 120 actually. And no I never read your FAQS, so I don't know whether or not you ever spoke of daggers, but it seems obvious to me you didn't explore that method to its extent. If you don't want to follow my advices, you don't need to, really, but no need to be arrogant because I have an alternative to your sacrosainct rules.

You can check pretty well that: 8% Hit Dispel (1 residue, 1 amber) on such a dagger (40 luck 40 DI 50 LRQ) that came with SC - 1 is a 66% chance at 119.9 (great gains). Again, you can also double check that shadow runic dull copper daggers usually have even inferior chances. Saying that 'you cannot get to 120" with only crafting the least expensive means a lot about the respect you give to the posters... Because it actually works very well!

On a side note, I have friends that got to 100 just by unraveling things, using the discordance trick.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no reason you can't train it the way Macrophage has laid out, but I found I had to discard too many weapons and had to test each one to ensure it fell in the optimal imbuing range. This was tedious. Doing the jingasa method allows for a quick setup, so even though the gem and residue costs are higher overall it seems better to me.

On a side note, I have friends that got to 100 just by unraveling things, using the discordance trick.
Is this something other than the satyr trick? How do you unravel in twisted weald? Can you recall out and unravel quickly before the discord wears off? Did you mean to say they got to 120? After they raised the difficulty range awhile back it became feasible to get to 100 unraveling items to EE.

M

Macrophage999

On the last stage and using dull copper runics I was indeed discarding about half of the daggers- shadow runics were better but more hard to get; and yes I meant the Twisted Weald trick. You have about 14 seconds before the effect wears off, so they were getting discoed, recalling to queen forge and unravelling a few bags, rince and repeat; pretty tedious imo. I know they did that till 100, and then started imbuing. If it works until 120 I don't know.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The big downside to using runic-made items to train is the fact that the properties are themselves random. This will change the amount you imbue from item to item, to get the same effect.

Not to mention that on many shards, DC & Shadow hammers have actually gone up in value considerably, as tools to make items to Imbue for actual use/sale. You could buy 1000 diamonds or 3000 amber for what you could sell 2-3 DC or Shadow Hammers for. So, any savings from using the runics is nullified by the loss of the value of the runics compared to the cheaper cost of the gems, in comparison.

The Jingasa method (which its original discover was actually doing on more difficult SE plate armor pieces, not realising the Jingasas also got mage armor) has the benefit of simplicity.

1. Make 20 exceptional Jingasa with an ASH +10
2. Imbue them all with the first property (luck). This way, you only have to use the imbue last property and retarget.
3. (if needed) Imbue them all with the second property (RPD) as high as you want/need to go to get the 3rd install at minimum cost as optimal. As #2, for using imbue last property.
4. Go to each, one at a time, and imbue the LRC at minimum cost (or close to it) 18 times successful. If the success chance starts slipping out of your optimum range, increase the LRC 1 step.
5. Unravel the entire bag, then Repeat, making sure to add or increase the RPD as needed to reduce the costs of the LRC imbues.

This requires no sorting of runic-crafted items, no mining or buying of colored ore, and is fairly easy to set aside and resume as time allows.

And, yes, the disco trick is useful, right up to 120 - you just got to make sure that the differing levels of disco one can find on satyrs won't put you overweight when you recall out to the forge. Note that Paragon Satyrs can drop you a lot lower than normals (like, about 8 skill points more)

Also, you DON'T want to use the queen's forge for any sort of training by unraveling - its bonus reduces your gain chance by increasing your success chance. You're better off using a home forge, or the 3rd public forge in Ter Mur (one of the outer buildings also has a soulforge, that doesn't have the bonuses of the Queen's forge or the one with the quest NPCs).