• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please Dev. Explain To Us The Fishing Quest Rules.

BluDjinn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the fishing quests still have a few bugs in them.

I had to bind 8 105 scrolls to make a 110.
Ate it then every thing was going along ok, got two 110 scrolls while working skill up to 110, was getting nice 5 & 6 line quest.
Until I used up all my stock and got stuck needing 40 spinney lobsters.

I decided to take the time to replenish my stock, so I just let the quest sit in my ships hole for a week or so while I restocked.
Now I didn't resign any quest or even talk to any fish mongers during this time just crabbed and fished.

When I turned these quest in I started getting all one and two line orders. It's almost like I am starting over, only with dungeon fish added .
Is there some kind of time limit on these Quest ?

WE NEED THE DEVLOPERS TO GIVE US SOME ANSWERS ON HOW THESE QUEST WORK!

:confused: :cursing: :twak: :please:

BluDjinn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Re: PLEASE DEV. EXPLAINE TO US THE FISHING QUEST RULES.

I am attempting to post the following to the : ASK DEV thread.
Hope we get a response.

Ok.... where to start:

PLEASE DEV. EXPLAINE TO US THE FISHING QUEST RULES.

1: How does the Fish Monger reputation work ?
How do we gain /lose reputation ?
Are the quested timed ? Do we lose reputation for taking too long?
Are we better off doing one quest at a time?
Or can we just get quest from all the mongers at once?
If so does it matter in which order we hand them in?
What actions help/hurt our reputation?
How much do each of these actions help/hurt?

2: How does the monger decide which quest to give us?

Is it based on reputation with just the monger we are dealing with, or on
our standing with all the mongers as a whole?
Does the time taken to fill the quest matter?
What role does the RNG play in this ?

3: How is the reward for finished quest decided ?
Does reputation play a part?
Why sometimes does a player receive a scroll, and the next time some bait
or a book for the same weighted quest?
What role does the RNG play in this?

4: Books? what are they good for?
Are they just a useless " you lost the RNG toss prize"?
Or do they have some use now or later, In other words
is it ok to just toss them or do I need to take up valuable storage space
saving them for some later use?

PS. Sea navigation by giving your tiller man a sea chart is broken!

Fermi

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I decided to take the time to replenish my stock, so I just let the quest sit in my ships hole for a week or so while I restocked.
Now I didn't resign any quest or even talk to any fish mongers during this time just crabbed and fished.

When I turned these quest in I started getting all one and two line orders. It's almost like I am starting over, only with dungeon fish added .
Is there some kind of time limit on these Quest ?

QUOTE]

I have totally had this happen to me!

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hate to say it, but I believe the whole fishing quest thing is based almost entirely on the RNG. And as we know the RNG either likes ya or hates ya. Me it hates, lol.

What types of fishes you get for your quest is rng. (the difference being your skill, if over 106 skill you will recieve quests for dungeon fish also)

How many lines of fish are all rng. Might get 5 or 6 liners for awhile, then may start getting 1 or 2 liners, it all varies on the rng.

The rewards are all rng, you may get lava pole from a 5 line quest to include dungeon fish, or you may get a lave pole from turning in 10 snow crabs. All rng.

About the only thing that is consistant is rng sucks, and the quests for each type of fish will start at 10, advance to 15 on the next quest with that type of fish, then advance to 20, then back down to 10 and it will repeat over and over and over, unless you lose reputation to a fish monger. So often times by time you do get your 6 line quest, it will consist of orders for 10 fishes of each type instead of 20, cuz rng done gobbled the 20 fish of a fish type on small orders.

The quests are not set up anything like tailor or black smith bods, where you may expect a certain class of reward for the amount of resources it took to fill it. And you can not pick and chose which ones to do, based on what you may expect for the reward, because the rewards are not consistant, and you take a reputation loss if decide to drop a quest.

Have to admit, this is the craziest set up I have yet to see in game, as far as trying to advance your charector in skill.

As far as the rare books, I've yet to find a use for them yet, and I probably have close to 100 of them now. But like the plain crab and lobster, I hate to throw em away in case they find a use for them later.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hate to say it, but I believe the whole fishing quest thing is based almost entirely on the RNG. And as we know the RNG either likes ya or hates ya. Me it hates, lol.

What types of fishes you get for your quest is rng. (the difference being your skill, if over 106 skill you will recieve quests for dungeon fish also)

How many lines of fish are all rng. Might get 5 or 6 liners for awhile, then may start getting 1 or 2 liners, it all varies on the rng.

The rewards are all rng, you may get lava pole from a 5 line quest to include dungeon fish, or you may get a lave pole from turning in 10 snow crabs. All rng.

About the only thing that is consistant is rng sucks, and the quests for each type of fish will start at 10, advance to 15 on the next quest with that type of fish, then advance to 20, then back down to 10 and it will repeat over and over and over, unless you lose reputation to a fish monger. So often times by time you do get your 6 line quest, it will consist of orders for 10 fishes of each type instead of 20, cuz rng done gobbled the 20 fish of a fish type on small orders.

The quests are not set up anything like tailor or black smith bods, where you may expect a certain class of reward for the amount of resources it took to fill it. And you can not pick and chose which ones to do, based on what you may expect for the reward, because the rewards are not consistant, and you take a reputation loss if decide to drop a quest.

Have to admit, this is the craziest set up I have yet to see in game, as far as trying to advance your charector in skill.

As far as the rare books, I've yet to find a use for them yet, and I probably have close to 100 of them now. But like the plain crab and lobster, I hate to throw em away in case they find a use for them later.

When it comes to fishing orders rewards, it is even worse, IMHO, because it relies, I suspect, twice on the RNG thus doubling or "squaring" the RNG problems you pointed out.

Not only one has to be liked by the RNG to get a good fishing order, but then when turning the fishing order in, one needs again the clemency of the RNG as to what reward will be given because better orders do not necessarily bring better rewards.

There have been cases reported, for example, of players at only 100.0 skill and with a mid range fishing order (think only a 5 liner of about 150 total points) getting as a reward a 110 fishing powerscroll while other players (this happened to me....), at higher skill level (105) and with a 6-liner order with 230 total point out of the max allowed of 240 points (about 96% as best as a fishing order without dungeon fish in can ever be...) only getting a hardly usefull fish bait and no 110 powerscroll......

Given the problems with the RNG which you also point out, I think that the system should have less relied on it and certainly, IMHO, rewards should have been more tied to the type (quality) of fishing order so to make always sure that better fishing orders awarded to players better rewards. Currently, this looks not to be the case as often better orders have been reported to bring to players worse rewards than worse orders did.

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I posted some of the same questions to "Ask the Devs" several weeks ago with no response so far.

S

soulstoner

Ok.... where to start:

PLEASE DEV. EXPLAINE TO US THE FISHING QUEST RULES.

1: How does the Fish Monger reputation work ?
How do we gain /lose reputation ?
Are the quested timed ? Do we lose reputation for taking too long?
Are we better off doing one quest at a time?
Or can we just get quest from all the mongers at once?
If so does it matter in which order we hand them in?
What actions help/hurt our reputation?
How much do each of these actions help/hurt?

4: Books? what are they good for?
Are they just a useless " you lost the RNG toss prize"?
Or do they have some use now or later, In other words
is it ok to just toss them or do I need to take up valuable storage space
saving them for some later use?

PS. Sea navigation by giving your tiller man a sea chart is broken!
Those are all awesome questions. gleaning from bits & pieces o'er the past few months here .... T'seems the fish monger questing is similar to the BOD game (I don't do BODs)? ... supposedly your higher reputation with the fish monger community(?) gets you better 'odds' to get the larger quests then, better 'odds' to get the better prize ... still with ample odds to get the little crappy ones that would only come with low reputation. It's a major time sink:wall:.

Common reports and experience, if you go to a particular dock monger which you have a pending quest to <or> from before that particular monger's given quest is complete and/or ready to turn into, you loose reputation. Given that; if you do take on multiple quests ... it may be behooveful to jot down the particular dock monger who gave you the quest (as well as associated drop off dickmonger) so as not to attempt a drop off at a pending dock monger location &/or head over to accept a quest from a particular dock monger which you have a crate pending fulfillment.

At least with all the mystery & hardship involved it's not a quickie cookie cutter rush to the 120 which is kinda nice to consider in-between the frustrations...it's surely not for everyone.-maybe not even me at 102.2:dunce:.

*wonders* if having a particular book in pack would increase chances of getting the fishes in that edition... I'll try later:wall:
I dunno if I have the 3rd book but have lots of 1s (all 1s since last patch) and some 2s and 4s... anyone else note a low proportion of Dragonfish Handbook 3?

Lotta reports of getting skill scrolls of level soon AFTER one has consumed that particular level with the 105s and 110s .. could just be coincidence or interesting design.

Also heard one gets +1 skill point/bonus thing from fishing from a Tokuno Boat - not sure of that validity.

PS And yes - a map! - not! the world map and navigation went kewkie after last patch it seems - since then tillers I've used recognize it is a map yet do not demonstrate how to read it very well...

PSS I hear one of the 14th year vet reward will be an ethy marlin - kinda like a jet ski- - lolz jk

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*wonders* if having a particular book in pack would increase chances of getting the fishes in that edition... I'll try later:wall:
I dunno if I have the 3rd book but have lots of 1s (all 1s since last patch) and some 2s and 4s... anyone else note a low proportion of Dragonfish Handbook 3?

Lotta reports of getting skill scrolls of level soon AFTER one has consumed that particular level with the 105s and 110s .. could just be coincidence or interesting design.
Both interesting points. I had briefly thought about the books having some significance but I don't think I had them in my pack while fishing much.

And I finally got a +5 after approximately 130-140 quests. I haven't eaten it yet toying with the idea that I might need to combine to get more. Maybe I should eat it and move along. I don't remember seeing any posts with regard to getting more after leveling up.

I just wish they had made it harder to fish up the rare stuff. I've fished up a good number of rare fish at GM. So selling the baits is useless, kinda disheartening.

Thank you for your thoughts/ideas. Its appreciated.

Joining you in the :wall: but have a :pint: Cheers!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

And I finally got a +5 after approximately 130-140 quests. I haven't eaten it yet toying with the idea that I might need to combine to get more. Maybe I should eat it and move along. I don't remember seeing any posts with regard to getting more after leveling up.

I know the feeling. I have had my hard time, after Publish 69 at getting fishing powerscrolls and yet, I kept being told left and right that they have been made "easier" to get. Perhaps they have been made a little easier as compared to before the Publish which was almost impossible, but definately they are still not easy to get and it still takes, as you have experienced, many many quests and a whole lot of time spent into fishing.
It took me a whole week just spending the time in the game fishing to finally get a 110 and several hundreds of fishing orders.....

I just wish they had made it harder to fish up the rare stuff. I've fished up a good number of rare fish at GM. So selling the baits is useless, kinda disheartening.
I have been trying to say that same thing in several threads but I get yelled at that it is the way it is and I either accept it or leave fishing alone.
The whole system for rewards for fishing orders is messed up. I am not asking here for fishing powerscrolls to be made easier to drop, not at all. For all I care, they could even be harder to get. All I have been trying to say in my threads is that I see it as wrong a rewards system where better fishing orders end up giving worse rewards than worse fishing orders : the useless baits you mention or the useless "rare" books or special fishing equipment which is very shortly lived....

It is clear to me that the whole system of fishing orders and the rewards coming from them needs a revamp and that goes through also, as you suggest, making those damn baits more usefull and needed so that when one gets them after a fishing order one is happy and not upset....

Of course, in order to make those baits more appealing and wanted by players this means making those magic pies made out from rare fish steaks fished up using the baits more usefull (better modifiers ? Longer lasting times ? Possible to be used combining them ?) and stackable to occupy less space in backpacks so that players actually start wanting to use them, creating a market for them...

It is all connected. If they want to fix the fishing orders they also must fix the rare fish drops, the baits and the magic pies....

Looking at one thing without also looking at all the rest that is connected fixes hardly anything, IMHO...........

Everything must be looked at again.......

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I know the feeling. I have had my hard time, after Publish 69 at getting fishing powerscrolls and yet, I kept being told left and right that they have been made "easier" to get. Perhaps they have been made a little easier as compared to before the Publish which was almost impossible, but definately they are still not easy to get and it still takes, as you have experienced, many many quests and a whole lot of time spent into fishing.
I honestly think that if you have been fishing since beta and/or day 1 of HS that the character could be bugged. A guildie just GM'd fishing a couple of days ago, has been stockpiling fish/crabs/lobs and started doing quests 2 days ago, approximately 100 or so quests and has already received a +5 and +10. *throws up hands* I'm going back to treasure maps for awhile. I give...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I honestly think that if you have been fishing since beta and/or day 1 of HS that the character could be bugged.

Well, I thought about that several times and I also remember from time back (at that time there was the UO.COM official forums) discussions about some characters somehow ending up being "bugged" and talks of "strings" (whatever characters' bugs those might be...) attached to them.

The problem is, can you imagine me paging a Game Master and ask to look at my character's code to check if everything is fine and dandy ?

Yeah, right.........

My only hope would be if any of the Devs like Cal or someone else had and wanted to take the time to look at my characters' code and see if all is ok but how many real chances I have ?

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well, I thought about that several times and I also remember from time back (at that time there was the UO.COM official forums) discussions about some characters somehow ending up being "bugged" and talks of "strings" (whatever characters' bugs those might be...) attached to them.

The problem is, can you imagine me paging a Game Master and ask to look at my character's code to check if everything is fine and dandy ?

Yeah, right.........

My only hope would be if any of the Devs like Cal or someone else had and wanted to take the time to look at my characters' code and see if all is ok but how many real chances I have ?
zero to zilch... ie I'm going to do something else for a bit.

S

soulstoner

................ :pint: Cheers!
What rare fish are being fished up up at GM without bait? The only type I've gotten so far [100.0, 103.2] is the yellowtail barracuda never using the precious bait cups yet. HP Regen from the pie is kewl though mento seasoning is way overpriced -- if it dropped like (or was convertible from) the useless chocolate ingredients that'd be kinda nice.
Were you using the bait cups?
Were you fishing in Tram or Fel?

I've seen some of the mounted fish at a spot on ATL - marlin, unicorn, autumn dragon, lava....etc and they look super duper kewl. If I can get some nice fish then mounted that may ease the pain of the fishing/questing activities .... Any tips/reports ... anyone ... on the rare fish getting would be great!

*puffs* :danceb: Cheers!

BluDjinn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I think it might ( who Knows ) just a roll of the RGN.

I have about 1500 Yellowtail Barracuda stakes, I catch them so often I consider them less rare than just a plain " big fish".

I have also caught 1 Blue Marlin and 2 King fish.
This is just sailing while fishing ( seems to help to be moving ).
This is using no bait. I was just GM on the marlin and first King fish.
Second King was around 104.

I am now closing in on 110. but as I have only 2- 110 scrolls from countless hours of quest I don't know where to turn next.

If I ever get my hands on a 120 scroll I will never do another fish Quest.