• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

stone crabs

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
has anyone fished one up yet?

i just burned through 70 stone crab bait and caught nothing. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't caught any in hundreds of traps without bait but I used 82 bait yesterday and got three from it.

Ertai Vodalion

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I trapped 3 before Publish 68.3 (or was it 68.2 when trabs were changed ?) with roughly 80 bait uses.

Yesterday night i burned through another 80 charges of Stone Crab Bait and just trapped a lousy 20 stone one ....

Attachments

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
has anyone fished one up yet?

i just burned through 70 stone crab bait and caught nothing. Anyone else experiencing this?
From what I ve heard, you can catch them only at the lost lands seas. If you use your baits at another place, they are probably wasted.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what I ve heard, you can catch them only at the lost lands seas. If you use your baits at another place, they are probably wasted.
Yeah lost lands is supposed to be the only place you can catch them. I haven't bothered trying anywhere else. And 3 for 80 baits seems to be about the average. All but one of mine were in the 20 to 30 stone range with one at 85 stones. I'm avoiding cutting them up because I noticed that no matter the weight they only seem to give one meat and it doesn't stack. I'm hoping they change it to be more in line with the fish where the heavier the more steaks you get.

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ya i tried also a 80 bait cup in the lost lands and caught nothing.. but i was at 105 skill then.. figured id wait till i hit 120 to use em ,till then keep stacking em up..

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't gotten any yet, but I have not tried the baits. To me it just doesn't seem that the baits change your odds that much. I'm hoping that one day we will get more info on the baits from the devs. 2-3 stones per 80 or so baits just doesn't seem like good odds to me. I've gotten other rare fishes without baits, and burned some of the lesser baits without ever getting anything.

So for now hanging onto all baits...

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first couple stone crabs I caught before gm skill, and the others at 105. I only trap in the lost lands and have done well over 600 traps there in the last few days and never caught a stone crab without the bait. Only fish I have caught without bait was the yellowtail barracuda's which aren't exactly all that rare. Of course I don't tend to fish anywhere else without using bait either so that may be why haha. What I do is gather up 100 or so of the bait then take a break from quests and refill my stock by fishing for the rare fish with the baits.

G

goonball

A couple of weeks ago I was trapping in lost lands and caught a Stone Crab. I wasn't using any bait and must have gotten it along with a few others all at once because I didn't even notice I'd caught it until I was putting my crabs/lobsters away. Also at that time I had GM fishing, so you definitely don't need bait or higher than GM to catch it. And for the record I've caught all of my special fish (Yellowtail Barracuda, Blue Marlin, Unicorn Fish, Giant Koi, Kingfish, Summer Dragonfish, and of course the Stone Crab) without bait.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can say that as for myself and a friend that has been crabbing the last couple of days... we havent seen a stone crab yet! thats over 2500 in crabs and lobsters that have been pulled up from the ocean depths and not a sign of a stone crab. This crabbing is being done in the Lost Lands also.

I did stop yesterday to try and use about 90 baits.. nada.. nothing.. just a waste of bait!

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I am now over the 5000 mark of crabs and lobsters.. this include named and unnamed ones. All have been pulled up in the lost lands. Yet I have still not caught a stone crab... am I doiong something wrong? My skill is at 105, been doing this with 2 different characters - both at 105 and still not caught one.

I have another 122 baits left but after burning through the last 90 with no luck I hate to waste those.

Anyone else still catching stone crabs out there? If so can you point me maybe in the right direction??

Thanks,
Bman

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just got one last night i was in papua crabbing doing my 80 trap at a time thing when on second pass i got one finally it was just 20 stones but another rare scratched off the list and thats probably after 8000 tries at 80 each at 110 skill

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Were you in deep waater or close to shore?

I have tried both but mostly out in the deep stuff...

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I caught three this morning in the deepwater. One was 60 stones.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I must be doing something completely wrong...

Now over 7200 crabs and lobsters and still nada on the stone crab. I am still fishing in lost lands, been all over crabbing there from papua up to around the snow covered areas. Tried along the banks and out at sea.. nothing, nada...

Are you getting the crabs on like secondary bobs? traps with multiple crustacians in them? I pull most all my traps on the first bob, to impatient to wait around for additional bobs... unless I doze off for a few minutes and wake up to grab my traps real quick efore they all disaapear.. which happens quite often :)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why all this interest in stone crabs, particularly ?

I doubt it is for the stone crab pie since all it does is soak 5 points of physical damage.... not much of a big deal, IMHO.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've only caught them with bait. Done hundreds of traps without bait without catching any. Usually i lay 2 lines of 60 traps so.. it's probably the second or later bob. But the first one i caught was on a first bob because i was doing it like you are.

And Popps... maybe he just wants to catch one to catch one. I'll probably never make the pie but I still try for them so I can see how big of one I can get.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just trying to add another rare fish/crab to my collection.. at this rate I will never get a spider crab or a blue lobster...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't give up on the blue lobster, there's safe spots you can mark and recall right to.

I used the one stone crab I've caught to update our taxidermy page.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well we are now over the 11K mark of crabs and lobsters caught from the Lost Lands and still no Stone Crab. I also went out last night and burnt up another 110 baits crabbing from the docks near Papua..nothing. I did that in Fel as well just to se if there was a better chance there.

Are people still catching them with a skill of 105 or less since the latest patch?

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, still catching them. I got an 80 pounder last night with 105 skill, deepwater, first bob.