• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anna's Method to Lobster/Crab Fishing

• Thread starter anna anomalous
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
A

anna anomalous

hello all,
just wanted to take some time to introduce myself. i am anna anomalous from the atlantic shard. i'm a long time player that has returned after a 5 year break. i played mostly in the 2000-2005 time frame. anyways, it seems there are a few posts about problems with lobster/crab farming and i would just like to formally post my answer to this problem.

the best method i find for farming these items, for now, is to take about 50 lobster traps on to a small classic boat, or rowboat, and to place as many as possible in a short amount of time. there is no limit to how many you place and each trap has a chance to be pulled beneath the waters each time it *bobs*. there is no time limit (i've left traps for over 5 minutes); however, the longer you leave them, the more you will catch and one of the *bobs* will pull your trap down. so look for a balance between leaving the trap out long enough, but short enough that you don't lose a large catch. this is why i suggest placing 50 or so because by the time you place the 50th one, you can start collecting from where you began placing. moreover, i believe that any lobsters/crabs caught after the first *bob* will most likely be a named type (rock lobster/crab) so leaving them out longer should produce better quality catches and it's more likely that the first catch is just a normal "crab" or "lobster" so if it gets pulled under the by second *bob* you're only losing something you can catch plenty of. therefore, i say, set it and forget it, or set a ton and collect a ton.

also, i'd like to add those of you with UOAssist should make a macro double-clicking a lobster trap facing each way, then convert to 'use item type' (since they end up flipping around). this will make for easier placing and opening full traps.

there are many variations of this, whether you want to fill up a dockside and run around collecting them, or getting on a rowboat. personally, i prefer a classic boat because its small, has a lot of room and can move quicker than a rowboat, but anything will work, even the large ships.

i've been seeing a lot of posters with frustrated experiences with these traps so here is an example to help clear things up:

hope this helps,

anna anomalous

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how were you able to reach all those? I can't cast one out farther than two tiles away from shore it seems.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well first off..Welcome back to Sosario!:thumbup1: Your method is a bit like mine, except I always prefer using a rowboat. I place around 11 of them at one time around my lil rowboat. Its less stressful..i hardly have to move at all and I dont "panic" when the first "bob" comes uprolleyes: and if i do have a trap that quickly disappears after 3 fast "bobs" well no prob..I wouldnt have gotten the trap anyway!

And again Welcome back!

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes that seems to be the best and less frustrating way. Just place enough traps around your boat and pick up the ones that Bob. Don't bother rushing to pick them up. If it wants to sink it will sink, no matter how fast you are.​

Here is me with my rowboat fishing crabs only a few meters away from my ship. :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
also, i'd like to add those of you with UOAssist should make a macro double-clicking a lobster trap facing each way, then convert to 'use item type' (since they end up flipping around). this will make for easier placing and opening full traps.
Welcome back.

I just wish I was able to figure out a macro to get them back IN the boat. I have tried everything I can think of and still can not figure out how to pull them without double clicking ughhh..

Also the circle is a good way to go. I prefer to set a string like they would in real life. I just say slow forward and with the help of the macro set a string of 25-30. Turn around, fly back to the first one and get them all back on the boat as fast as I can. I lose a few traps this way but it seems to be about the same amount lost as it would only setting 7 out around a boat.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would also like to say welcome back!!

My method is somewhat similar only I use one of the new large ships...

I face my Boat from North to south (front of the boat facing down south) then I stand on the West side of the boat. I do not have any cannons set up so that I can walk the full length of the boat back and forth. I can usually set 7 traps on one stretch of the boat.
I then say "Left One" and then say "Left One" a second time. This moves the boat towards the east far enough to drop another row of traps. I continue to do this over and over until I have laid out 8 rows of traps, can lay out more if you prefer or even less. Once I have laid out the last row which usually takes less than a minute to lay them out I tell the tiller man "Right"... as he moves the boat back across the tops of the traps I say "Stop" when gets to the first row. I then start recollecting the traps... if you use "CTR/SHIFT" you can see the trap tags of the traps underneath the boat and can usually collect 2 full rows of traps during one walk down the length of the boat.. I then say "Left One" until I can see the next row of traps appear out the west side of the boat and continue collecting traps again.

I know that is kind of long winded.. wish I could show my method... but it works really well.

Once all the traps are collected I began double clicking the traps to release my catch in my bag then I drag the empty trap back to the bag on my paper doll so they restack the empties automatically.

Unload my Haul into the boat and restart setting traps...Whenever I am at the floating docks I restock my ship with 500 traps so I always have plenty of traps on hand..

Hope this helps.. and good luck to all you trappers out there.. youre gonna need it!!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually stick to shore, either do 6 or 8 like this:

I like this method because you don't have to move.

I really don't know if skill or location matters when considering what you get, but I have gotten as many as five crab/lobsters from one trap so far. I think that was off my rowboat north of Skara though.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
traps are set on 60 second timers
at 60 seconds the trap does 1 of 3 things
1 it sinks
2 it bobs meaning you have lobsters
3 it does nothing

I have done many of these and have never had one stay more than 3 min without sinking

does leaving one in for 2 min give more than if it just sat for 1 ? maybe no way to really test it because there is no way to know what was in it after one minute!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
ok just ran a few traps to test if you get more leaving them in for 2+ minutes

and it does not seem to mater i just ran 2 sets of 16 traps so need a lot more info but my belief is it has no effect it may have effect on named but looks the same i came out with 1 more named crab after 2 min then i did 1 min

T

Thiefy/Glorfiedel

the amount of crabs/lobster depends on the number of "bobs".

if one "bob" is showing up, you get one crab/lobster...

if there are 3 "Bobs", you will get 3 crabs/lobsters.

maximum "bobs" i got was 4.

J

Jon the Fisherman

I too use my row boat setting as many traps as i can in 1 minute in an arc. Then I go back to the first and pick them up whether it has bobbed or not. Yes I pick up empty traps but after 1 minute, I think the RNG has hit so I dont waste time. For the record, I hate losing traps/money with no chance to save them. It's a big waste! but I'm still out there. lol

A

anna anomalous

going to bump this and request a sticky of some sort. people are still discovering that you can leave traps up to get in larger catches. i find this information to be invaluable.

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back anna!! I also do my trap like Bman.. i use 80 traps using his method.IT works very well and at 80 it seems most of them have more then 1.on a average i may lose 1-5, but since the changes to mib's the loss is fine for me since were all making good gold now off of them!!

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
going to bump this and request a sticky of some sort. people are still discovering that you can leave traps up to get in larger catches. i find this information to be invaluable.
Can I ask an update according to the latest minor changes on lobster fishing, also a small video of some sort, maybe uploaded to youtube like the others? Or am I asking too less?

A

anna anomalous

i have not tried lobster fishing since any changers were made, but as soon as i do i will update

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually do lines of 100 or so at a time. I place 50 or so traps off one side of the boat while going forward, then switch sides and place an equal amount of traps off the other side of the boat while heading backwards to my start point. Once at the starting point I pick up the first line then head back to pick up the second. Whatever traps you can't hold will drop to your boat deck as you pick them up. I'm testing now to see what the best number of traps is for me for time vs lost/empty traps and how many I can get out of the ones that have crabs/lobster in them. My last set of 100 traps I lost 15 and got around 50 named crabs/lobsters in about 15 minutes counting the time it took me to empty all the traps.