• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Faction geared peeps attacking non-faction.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
should people in factions with faction gear be allowed to attack non-faction
people in fel ?

seems like an unfair advantage to me cause it forces me to either join a faction or be at an unfair advantage when attacked. what do you guys think about it ?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
you do realise that this is the faction forum right?

so most everyone in here is IN factions.

i dont think youll see much agreement from anyone who frequents here.

but ill disagree with you (while on many points) but chieflly because i think that its a GOOD thing that we force people to come into factions if they want some high end stuff.

that said, you can imbue a suit that is 10 times better then anything you can make up with faction items.

but you can make a killer suit with a mix of faction items and imbued stuff.

does it suck.
probablly.

but if your gonna be fighting in fel anyways why not join a team?
i know i know, sucks to be forced into anything.

but really, ya dont need the faction items to compete in pvp.
specially on the big shards where there are so many people out.
your gonna get speed ganked by a pack of guys before the issue of your inferior non faction gear is relavent anyways.

P

Pauldarian

i think that its a GOOD thing that we force people to come into factions if they want some high end stuff.

does it suck.
probablly.

i know i know, sucks to be forced into anything.
I think he was asking for a resolution.
Yeah being forced into things does tend to suck, you should think about that until it hits home, REALLY sit down and think about that, what have you been forced to do how was it resolved.

Insome cases your looking at an issue for players where there IS NO resolution but hey, I'm of the thought that game testers should have to wear a tie.
But then I also think that befor people have the right to vote they should have to read the lit on the upcoming laws

=-p

E

Emosocial

Then again it could be sour grapes. Odds are that you will want to use the gear to go PVM. nope no chance.

Elden of Baja

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Immediate first thought is this.

Do you have a lieutenant Sash?
Do you have a Conjurers Garb?
Do you have a Rangers Cloak?
Do you have a Tangle/Crimson?

If you answered No to any of the previous questions then your problem is not that your opponent has faction artifacts, but that you haven't put in the time/money to get the artifacts available to you.

L

Luke Carjacker

While it's true that imbuing has balanced the tables to a great extent, and some non-faction arties are important in building good suits, the fact remains that faction arties are substantially more powerful and allow good crafters to make measurably better suits. An example would be the faction orny & crystalline ring combo. If you use the non-faction versions of those, you're forced to use either inquisitor's or night eyes to get to 2/6 casting. With the faction versions of those, you get the extra FC3 on the crystalline for free, which means you have a lot more flexibility in how you build out the rest of your suit. Including 2-4 faction arties will result in anywhere from 3-5 or more additional mods in a suit. These might end up being more mana regen, HP regen, mana or stamina increase, over-maxed DCI or whatever.

Being able to use the ultra-powered arties does make a difference. Some of the posts here seem to be arguing that faction arties are not super-powered. Get real. People would pay 50m to get a crimmy with an extra 5 dex; fey leggings or hunter's headdress where the resists don't suck, free DI on M&S glasses, etc. So, saying someone needs to get better non-faction arties is just dumb, when someone can go spend 5m gold on silver and buy faction arties that would have a market value of 100m+ if they were available.

I have both faction and non-faction characters, and I will make an argument that yes, faction arties should in fact be more powerful. It's a risk v. reward proposition. If you join a faction, you get access to arties, war horses and other goodies, but you need to maintain enough points to use the stuff, and if you die you're sidelined with stat loss (incidentally, why do we still call it stat loss, when it's actually temporary skill loss, but anyhow). So, for bona fide faction combatants, I think it's a fair tradeoff.

The problem is, however, that a lot of people take faction gear to build their sampires, ABC archers, PVM tamers, et al. I think that's just plain stupid. I also see the OP's problem with faction geared people attacking non-faction people. I definitely don't think that is intended; maybe the devs were thinking that a larger portion of the population would go faction, but as it stands that's just not the case.

So, here's what I would propose as a solution. First, get rid of "I honor your leadership". Sure, that's not going to totally get rid of people who game the system, but it would make the transfer of points more difficult, and I think that would go a long way into getting rid of people building PVM characters up with faction arties. I'd love it if there were a good way to prevent that. Other thing that would have to be addressed is factioners attacking non-factioners. I think stat loss at 1/2 the OJ on OJ level makes sense. The factioners have the advantage with their gear, and if they get killed by a non-faction blues, they should take a stat loss. On the flip side, non-factioners are at a disadvantage because they don't get faction arties & war horses, but they don't take a penalty if they die. Non-faction reds could still be attacked freely by anyone, and no stat penalty if blues initiate the combat (they'd be grey then, and fair game).

You guys think that would work?

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe every char should be required to choose your allignment with a faction.

C

Cloak&Dagger

While it's true that imbuing has balanced the tables to a great extent, and some non-faction arties are important in building good suits, the fact remains that faction arties are substantially more powerful and allow good crafters to make measurably better suits. An example would be the faction orny & crystalline ring combo. If you use the non-faction versions of those, you're forced to use either inquisitor's or night eyes to get to 2/6 casting. With the faction versions of those, you get the extra FC3 on the crystalline for free, which means you have a lot more flexibility in how you build out the rest of your suit. Including 2-4 faction arties will result in anywhere from 3-5 or more additional mods in a suit. These might end up being more mana regen, HP regen, mana or stamina increase, over-maxed DCI or whatever.

Being able to use the ultra-powered arties does make a difference. Some of the posts here seem to be arguing that faction arties are not super-powered. Get real. People would pay 50m to get a crimmy with an extra 5 dex; fey leggings or hunter's headdress where the resists don't suck, free DI on M&S glasses, etc. So, saying someone needs to get better non-faction arties is just dumb, when someone can go spend 5m gold on silver and buy faction arties that would have a market value of 100m+ if they were available.

I have both faction and non-faction characters, and I will make an argument that yes, faction arties should in fact be more powerful. It's a risk v. reward proposition. If you join a faction, you get access to arties, war horses and other goodies, but you need to maintain enough points to use the stuff, and if you die you're sidelined with stat loss (incidentally, why do we still call it stat loss, when it's actually temporary skill loss, but anyhow). So, for bona fide faction combatants, I think it's a fair tradeoff.

The problem is, however, that a lot of people take faction gear to build their sampires, ABC archers, PVM tamers, et al. I think that's just plain stupid. I also see the OP's problem with faction geared people attacking non-faction people. I definitely don't think that is intended; maybe the devs were thinking that a larger portion of the population would go faction, but as it stands that's just not the case.

So, here's what I would propose as a solution. First, get rid of "I honor your leadership". Sure, that's not going to totally get rid of people who game the system, but it would make the transfer of points more difficult, and I think that would go a long way into getting rid of people building PVM characters up with faction arties. I'd love it if there were a good way to prevent that. Other thing that would have to be addressed is factioners attacking non-factioners. I think stat loss at 1/2 the OJ on OJ level makes sense. The factioners have the advantage with their gear, and if they get killed by a non-faction blues, they should take a stat loss. On the flip side, non-factioners are at a disadvantage because they don't get faction arties & war horses, but they don't take a penalty if they die. Non-faction reds could still be attacked freely by anyone, and no stat penalty if blues initiate the combat (they'd be grey then, and fair game).

You guys think that would work?
There is a ton to argue with here....I will have to go with I do not agree.
The faction arties would not be worth "that" much if readily available, because they would be...well, readily available. They are not "so" powerful, are they extremely helpful? Yes, even more so than that. Do I think they give an "unfair" advantage? No. Simply put Most of my characters only use 1 faction artie, some use two, and even then most of my items still have a free prop left...so if I lost the 1 or 2 items I use, I could just as easily change my items to match what I have now. Like if I lost the extra 10 dci on my headpiece for my mage, all I need to do is put on a sash and quiver, problem solved. Those slots are empty right now anyway.

As for getting rid of point transfers...it won't do anything, the problem has never been honoring, it is using multiple accounts to power game the point system, if you have 6 characters in one faction and then double or more in another, you can easily get enough points on the 6 characters just by killing back and forth, harder if you are a single person....but if a group of people were doing this, it would make it go fairly quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I do use non-faction characters. 2 in fact, and neither of them have any problem competing with faction players. Also limiting combat because people are afraid of being in stat is not the way to go. (You can still participate while in stat, dunno why in the world anyone is afraid to fight in stat, sure its ridiculously more difficult and you will more than likely die again, but then...you lose nothing...so short of an entire team dying, or you having been alone to begin with, I really never did understand dying and leaving battle)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
people in fel ?

seems like an unfair advantage to me cause it forces me to either join a faction or be at an unfair advantage when attacked. what do you guys think about it ?
So pick a faction and join it. What's the big deal? :twak:

T

Tox The Murder

This is the reason why trammel was created. People whining about getting killed. :(

A

A Rev

Just get rid of factions completely and remove guards from fel.

Problems solved.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Immediate first thought is this.

Do you have a lieutenant Sash?
Do you have a Conjurers Garb?
Do you have a Rangers Cloak?
Do you have a Tangle/Crimson?

If you answered No to any of the previous questions then your problem is not that your opponent has faction artifacts, but that you haven't put in the time/money to get the artifacts available to you.
yes to all a few times over

C

Cloak&Dagger

stupid comment, getting the points when trying to enter into the fray would be the problem.
I could agree with this on most shards. I can't say all because I don't know all of them. But on most of them getting the 2million points could be an issue.

C

Chaucer498

people in fel ?

seems like an unfair advantage to me cause it gives me the incentive to either join a faction or be at an unfair advantage when attacked. what do you guys think about it ?
Fixed!

How is it unfair? Unfair would be if they didn't allow you to join factions at all and only a select few were able to. You have the same opportunity as everyone else to acquire the same exact artifacts. You just choose not to and your reasons are your own, but I'll bet it has something to do with the real price you have to pay in acquiring faction arties...and that's having to watch your back everytime you step foot in Fel.

I believe this is the train of thought the devs were on when they introduced faction arties. They want you to lust over the faction arties so that you'll go out and try to acquire it. It's an attempt to try and liven up the faction world, which has been stagnant for quite a long time.

Tired of getting spanked by that Factioner? Come aboard and get your own Faction arties!!

The problem is 9 times out of 10 your going to discover that it wasn't the arties that were holding you back.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fixed!

How is it unfair? Unfair would be if they didn't allow you to join factions at all and only a select few were able to. You have the same opportunity as everyone else to acquire the same exact artifacts. You just choose not to and your reasons are your own, but I'll bet it has something to do with the real price you have to pay in acquiring faction arties...and that's having to watch your back everytime you step foot in Fel.

I believe this is the train of thought the devs were on when they introduced faction arties. They want you to lust over the faction arties so that you'll go out and try to acquire it. It's an attempt to try and liven up the faction world, which has been stagnant for quite a long time.

Tired of getting spanked by that Factioner? Come aboard and get your own Faction arties!!

The problem is 9 times out of 10 your going to discover that it wasn't the arties that were holding you back.
way to be right on time 'visitor' ... try reading the entire thread before giving a contrived answer mr winner winner chicken dinner.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*chuckles*

Wow, how long has it been since we had a good tram vs fel thread, right here in the factions forum. Oh boy.rolleyes:

C

Chaucer498

way to be right on time 'visitor' ... try reading the entire thread before giving a contrived answer mr winner winner chicken dinner.
Actually I did read the entire thread. I'm pretty sure I gave my opinion on your general question. Which part of my post would you like me to break down for you?

My post addressed your concern, your reply addressed...well, absolutely nothing.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well you can decide on faction gear vs never going into stat loss. Seems like a fair choice to me.

Also, the stratics mods should make Chaucer's custom title "Mr. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner."

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
that was fun.

little more on topic and a little less measuring pixil shlangs, eh?

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fixed!

How is it unfair? Unfair would be if they didn't allow you to join factions at all and only a select few were able to. You have the same opportunity as everyone else to acquire the same exact artifacts. You just choose not to and your reasons are your own, but I'll bet it has something to do with the real price you have to pay in acquiring faction arties...and that's having to watch your back everytime you step foot in Fel.I believe this is the train of thought the devs were on when they introduced faction arties. They want you to lust over the faction arties so that you'll go out and try to acquire it. It's an attempt to try and liven up the faction world, which has been stagnant for quite a long time.

this is the idiodic reasoning that i was talking about. utterly wrong yet you think you're so right. but i understand , with two whole posts as a visitor you carry weight here, ya.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can make killer suits without faction arties. so much easier and cheaper to make em with though = )

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, Yahaxithonix of the True Britannians on Siege Perilous do not use Faction items.

But, evening if I did, so what... A person with these same items while being non-faction can still attack anyone that person wants to attack.

I frankly think that joining a faction to get those Faction items will no give no one equality.

Join a faction or stay out of the factions does not mean you are play separate games on the same shard.

Factions and non-faction players belong in the same interplay.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

T

Tm84

so we have someone whining about faction gear when they too are able to get the gear. Just like anyone can get out get a tangle if they work for it. This game use to be NO restrictions! it's a sandbox game and you are able to do whatever you want whenever you want how ever you want. Quit making the game so care-bear go play WOW if you want that you guys are destroying this great game with your whining they gave you Trammel what else do you want? Unlimited gold? a Castle? Believe me the game would be better off without any Gear Specs, oh they gave that to you too and insurance! Just play the game quit whining.

Don't Tread on Me

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
yes, it's totally fair. faction items are outdated anyways and you can make a WAYYYYY better suit using SA arties, imbuing, and reforging. It's just that a lot of pvpers don't want to spend forever doing that and just want to pvp. Isn't that ok?

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok that from what you said above isn't correct... By using Faction artifacts a player can infact build the best suit possible for his or her template vs not using faction artifacts. Faction artifacts give you that advantage whether it be from the DCI or regen. A player is able to maximize his or her stats much easier then a non faction player.

darkvulf

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
ok that from what you said above isn't correct... By using Faction artifacts a player can infact build the best suit possible for his or her template vs not using faction artifacts. Faction artifacts give you that advantage whether it be from the DCI or regen. A player is able to maximize his or her stats much easier then a non faction player.
Then why aren't you doing that?

btw this thread is almost a year old