• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lotro Stratics News] Did you know?

Triberius

Firefall Moderator | LotRO Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The title pretty much says it all, for those of you who may not know TGN/Stratics has a wiki in the works for Lord of the Rings Online. With the recent changes to LotRO switching over to F2P and my own personal experience with getting LotRO running on the Linux platform, two new guides have been added. These new guides will hopefully help you make an educated decision between remaining a paying subscriber or downgrading to Premium, or if you are looking to join the LotRO family the right choice on a play plan, be it as a standard Free Player, Premium or VIP. It will also go into some of the Pro's and Con's of each path.

For those of you who are running on the Linux Platform, who wish to play LotRO without the need to Dual-boot or run a Virtual Machine, the Running Lord of the Rings Online with Linux guide may help you. With the recent F2P change there have been a few new hurdles to arrive for the Linux Gamer, if you downgraded to premium, or if you are new to LotRO, in this guide we'll cover how to overcome them. If you are new to Linux or interested about playing LotRO on Linux, but not sure if it's in violation of the game TOS, we'll take a few moments to debunk a few myths about Gaming on Linux along the way.

To visit the Lord of the Rings Online Wiki, and check out these guides and other content click HERE.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did not know, nicely done! Added to the Tools|Databases & Wikis menu of the LOTROXbar.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you!
Now we just need a Gamers Xbar for Linux Systems :p
All GameXbars "should" work on any OS that has Firefox available for it... Linux, MacOS, Windows. Certain features only work under Windows, but only a few... like the old Internet radio player (which need Window Media codecs), so I've dumped the old player in flavor of a new media player which mostly uses Flash depending on the media outlet's preference. Like Radio Rivendell uses Flash.

For anyone else reading this too... besides Firefox, GameXbars also work on IE (Windows), Safari (Mac only), and Firefox derivatives like Flock 2.x.

And Chrome ;)
Just took another step closer this week to Chrome support. Trick is Chrome doesn't support traditional toolbar apps, but does support button apps... so I'm working on Chrome button apps that will duplicate the toolbar apps (feeds, links, media, etc.).

Triberius

Firefall Moderator | LotRO Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All GameXbars "should" work on any OS that has Firefox available for it... Linux, MacOS, Windows. Certain features only work under Windows, but only a few... like the old Internet radio player (which need Window Media codecs), so I've dumped the old player in flavor of a new media player which mostly uses Flash depending on the media outlet's preference. Like Radio Rivendell uses Flash.
Ahh seems I'm getting it installed right this time, I went to the GameXBar site yesterday and went to download it and it came up with an .exe file instead of the standard .api file. Might have been I was on Chrome at the moment...

D

Docholiday

Just took another step closer this week to Chrome support. Trick is Chrome doesn't support traditional toolbar apps, but does support button apps... so I'm working on Chrome button apps that will duplicate the toolbar apps (feeds, links, media, etc.).
Very cool!!

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gah! I'm such a dork! I forgot, the LOTROXbar doesn't have the new media player yet, so far it is only in the UltimaXbar (it was the guinea pig this time)... I still need to copy it over to the other GameXbars. You can still check it out though, I'll explain.

Once you install one GameXbar (like the LOTROXbar), you have them all. On the far left (just to the left of the logo), there is a [+] button... click it, and the drop down menu will you choose any GameXbar (DAoC, EVE, LOTRO, UO, WAR, WoW and so on). Clicking loads that one right in the same place as the LOTROXbar, you can switch on the fly to whatever one you want... and it doesn't take up any more space in the browser, one app to rule them all so to speak.

Let's say you play two MMOs, LOTRO and WoW. You're buzzing around the LOTRO community, but one of your WoW guildmates asks you something about WoWhead. Switch over to WoWXbar, search WoWhead, pass the info, switch back to LOTROXbar and be on your way.

Sorry, I just realized I hijacked this topic. :p