• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ahoy!

• Thread starter Sydrik Harpune
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

Sydrik Harpune

I guess it be time for me to give a proper how-do-ye-do to me new mates!

Having been lost at sea for around 10 years, finally making me way back to the shores of Britannia has been quite a shock. A lot be changed. A lot.

I have quickly returned to my pillaging ways though and look forward to swinging a blade and raising the sails with ye all!

Macon Smythe - Swordsman extraordinaire
Hunter Smythe - Aspiring treasure hunter and witchdoctor
Sydrik Harpune - Scoundrel with the poisoned blade

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The crew welcomes ye back, and we will be there with assistance and support (just ask here in the forum or in guild chat if you do have any questions). Bring yer other brothers over so we can add them to our roster!

S

Sydrik Harpune

I will get you to add the other two tonight...

I am contemplating changing my focus on Sydrik (who I plan to be my PvP toon) from poison to archery in support of the ship-to-ship combat in the new expansion.

I am having a hard time sorting out the templates in the forums though. Every single archery template I see has Bushido in it... why?!?!

If I wanted to go PvP stealth archer any advice?

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will get you to add the other two tonight...

I am contemplating changing my focus on Sydrik (who I plan to be my PvP toon) from poison to archery in support of the ship-to-ship combat in the new expansion.

I am having a hard time sorting out the templates in the forums though. Every single archery template I see has Bushido in it... why?!?!

If I wanted to go PvP stealth archer any advice?
Lightning strike for archey haha.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PvP Stealth archer(assuming scroll availability):
120 archery
120 tactics
120 Stealth (use items for bonus skill points, shadowdancer leggings, etc)
120 ninjitsu
100 hiding
... As you can see, healing is a big problem at this point, as a veteran account has only 140 points to spare for healing. You can counter this by going with alchemy (EP from skills), or lowering other skills to fit in healing/anatomy (90 each is good).

Your primary goal in the field is dismounting and specials, so get a fast heavy crossbow and a good bow (mortal strike/paralyze) and a yumi (double shot after someone else disarms your victim). 95% of the time, you'll be using the crossbow.

Smoke bombs will be your best friend with this template. I used it myself for a while, but gave it up for a mystic/warrior... it was very fun in Felucca, less so in role-play.

Bushido/archer:
120 archery
120 bushido
120 resist spells
100 tactics
100 healing
100 anatomy
60 chivalry

The bushido lets you use the yumi, which gives the best possible burst damage in PvP outside of a mystic/warrior's spell plague abuse. It also gives you confidence for healing and lightning strike for cheap burst damage. The bushido/archery combination also gives you cheaper special moves. Aneirin's variant uses 100 meditation instead of 120 resisting spells, which gives me more specials. It's great in groups, less so in duels (especially against mages).

Now, Aneirin dropped bushido for mace fighting, which gives him the double whammy of disarm and armor ignore for finishing many fights quickly. The faster melee weapons are also great for interrupting mages.

Plain-Jane archer:
120 archery
120 tactics
120 healing
120 anatomy
120 resist
60 chivalry
60 meditation

Hits like a truck, great for crossbows and heavy crossbows. Weapon specials are costly, so be conservative (my ex-faction archer had this template).

For ship-to-ship fighting, I HIGHLY recommend an alchemy variation of one of the above template to toss explosion potions for best results. Be sure to include 50% enhance potions on your suit.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With a stealth archer, I'd recommend the following (720 skill points total):

110 Archery (+10 Archery from jewelry or from Dread Pirate's Hat)
110 Tactics
110 Ninjitsu (+10 Ninjitsu from jewelry)
100 Anatomy
90 Healing
100 Hiding
100 Stealth (use Burglar's Bandana and Shadow Dancer Leggings to boost the skill)

To my opinion, it is unnecessary to raise skills to 120. If you only have 700 skill points total, I'd cut Hiding and Stealth to 90. I think Anatomy is also a good damage booster, so I'd put that into the template. The biggest challenge will be to get a suit that reduces your mana cost and boosts your mana pool.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pike, as is normal, does have a point.

For our purposes, 110 in a skill is nearly as good as 120.

And given that his lesser-skilled characters can often kill my scrolled-out super-characters, it will likely save a lot of gold just going with 110 or 115 in all high-level skills.

Other notes for a stealth-archer:
Defense chance increase, while nice, isn't absolutely mandatory, especially if you focus on killing the weak or fighting as a team. If you find you're the target of an attack, smoke bombs and dog form get you out of trouble more often than not.

Dex-dex-DEX! Since the best two bows for a stealth archer are abysmally slow, you will want as much stamina as you can find. If you can get to 150 dexterity, PERFECT. With potions, it isn't very hard to accomplish.

Mana is pretty important too, but don't put too much stock in it at first. Sure, you'll be able to use moving shot all day with high mana, but the extra points are usually at the cost of strength. Stats are also easy to manipulate once your character is "finished".

My stealther never got over 80 points in real skill. That's enough for most encounters. Since death-strike-by-archery is less damaging than armor ignore, you can also skimp a bit on ninjitsu skill too. 90-100 ninjitsu gives fairly effective mirror images, and regeneration-by-dog-form is nearly as effective at 90 as it is at 120.

S

Sydrik Harpune

Great tips, thanks...

I am pretty sure I am going to have Macon (swordsman) as my PvE toon and Sydrik (stealth archer) as my PvP toon.

So it helps alot to kind of lay out the roadmaps for them.

S

Sydrik Harpune

What what should my stats lok like for the template Hawkeye posted?

90-100-35?