• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lobster pots.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone found a way to not lose the darn things so often?

I'm finding fishing with them highly frustrating. I deploy 3, fish about 5 casts, the first pot starts bobbing, I pull them in one a time. All is well.
I repeat that, if I'm lucky I get them all back, but the third time I'll lose one, or sometimes two of them, and even if your cursor is on the thing when it bobs and you click like lightning, it still goes down :(

Thank goodness I'm not fishing with real pots, I'd be destitute in a week.

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone found a way to not lose the darn things so often?

I'm finding fishing with them highly frustrating. I deploy 3, fish about 5 casts, the first pot starts bobbing, I pull them in one a time. All is well.
I repeat that, if I'm lucky I get them all back, but the third time I'll lose one, or sometimes two of them, and even if your cursor is on the thing when it bobs and you click like lightning, it still goes down :(

Thank goodness I'm not fishing with real pots, I'd be destitute in a week.
I heartily agree. YOu and I have both been doing alot of fishing this week and its very frustrating to lose the damn things often. I also think when they *bob* it should make some kinda noise, like a bell or something.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree - oh, I so agree. It's the most frustrating and, it has to be said, boring bit of the expansion. I want to fish while I'm waiting, to relieve the boredom, but I daren't take my eyes off the damn things. And what's with the 'bobsploosh' thing? My reactions aren't bad, but I need more than half a second to get the cursor over there and double click!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm afraid that's one of the more frustrating parts. Even if your cursor is actually on the pot and you click when it bobs, it will still go down. There's no way to prevent it that I've found.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have started laying long strings of them either they will sink or not bob at all or bob and be full I was tring to do this from my boat but the deley from when you tell the boat to stop and when it actually does can be frustrating ! so now i find a long strip of dock or bank and lay out 15 or so pots

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Well what i have seen so far is when you lay your pots out 1 of 3 things accures
1. the pot bobs and sinks (appears their is no way to stop this)
2. the pot bobs and you can click it and bring it in full (appears you can let a full trap set for a long time (I have timed this on stop watch appears to be one minute after several tests)can set for 3 min total before sinking
3. the pot does nothing (the pot can sit their for 3 min total before it sinks)so after 1 minute if it has done nothing pull it before 3 min

so the best way to crab is lay a long string that you can lay out in 60 sec or so then go back to the begining of your string of pots and if pot 2 bobs before pot one then pull pot one and replant pot there then pull pot 2 and replant continuing till end of string then rinse and repeat!

also this is way faster if you drop pots into a hot key spot and you can just press hot key to get new pot to place !

I can lay a long string and pretty much walk from end to end and be constantly pulling pots!

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well what i have seen so far is when you lay your pots out 1 of 3 things accures
1. the pot bobs and sinks (appears their is no way to stop this)
2. the pot bobs and you can click it and bring it in full (appears you can let a full trap set for a long time (I have timed this on stop watch appears to be one minute after several tests)
3. the pot does nothing (the pot can sit their for 3 min total before it sinks)so after 1 minute if it has done nothing pull it before 3 min

so the best way to crab is lay a long string that you can lay out in 60 sec or so then go back to the begining of your string of pots and if pot 2 bobs before pot one then pull pot one and replant pot there then pull pot 2 and replant continuing till end of string then rinse and repeat!

also this is way faster if you drop pots into a hot key spot and you can just press hot key to get new pot to place !

I can lay a long string and pretty much walk from end to end and be constantly pulling pots!
I just tested this and this worked VERY well. Much less frustrating then my previous experiences.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I just tested this and this worked VERY well. Much less frustrating then my previous experiences.
Glad it helped I spent a while getting the exact numbers and retesting different ways and this was the best I could figure out once you get the hang of it it goes fast!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why yall calling them pots ... arent they called traps? :p lol

I was gonna say, I wish we HAD a pot, cause I hate trying to organize them all in my pack.

I agree best way to do it is by casting out a few traps, maybe 3 or more depending on how much you want to work. But this is like real fishing, have to pay attention. Don't know if that is good or bad.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why yall calling them pots ... arent they called traps? :p lol

I was gonna say, I wish we HAD a pot, cause I hate trying to organize them all in my pack.

I agree best way to do it is by casting out a few traps, maybe 3 or more depending on how much you want to work. But this is like real fishing, have to pay attention. Don't know if that is good or bad.

Pots normally, or, if you live where I do, creels. And they're not what you should be watching when fishing. I live a half mile from a little bay and watch the fishermen drop the creels over then disappear off for a few days, then come back and haul them aboard again. They don't need watching while they're down and can easily be spotted; just look for the bobbing floats.

Fishing with a rod is where you should have to pay attention!