• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

All in All pretty boring

V

Voodoo990

After 3 days of spending hours trying to get to the floating market, hours and hours making black powder, ramrods, swabs, charcoal, potash, fuse cord, match cord and matches, all to fire a cannon that is pretty much ineffective. Then spend hours and hours looking for pirates only to find one orc boat in two days. Not very impressed.

V

Voodoo990

Ideas to improve it?
This is in open Beta already, to be fully released in two weeks, not much can be done if they plan to stick to that release date, other then give "player" feedback.

My feedback is, I played it solid for the last three days and after the ohh and aww of the new graphics, I found the game play to be tedious at best. It is very tedious/excessive for the new crafting needed to fire a cannon. It is extremely frustrating, trying to get to the floating market and all the bugs with the new boats, like friends not being able to recall to your boat. And it is really boring sailing around for hours finding nothing.

This kind of feels like a normal publish/release, like the ones we use to have, with some extra bits pieced together in a rush to show the guys up stairs that they have found a rev source.

Idea to improve it, would be to wait, don't rush it and do it right, especially if your going to be charging us extra money for this.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with you... I have no time to spend in travel through the sea with a tiny chance to capture a pirate... and if you capture it what do you get? 1k and the orc boat?
Maybe if the quest give an hint on where the pirates can be found that should make sense...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far I believe all the pirates have been found in the waters between the mainland and Jhelom.

O

Old Man of UO

After 3 days of spending hours trying to get to the floating market, hours and hours making black powder, ramrods, swabs, charcoal, potash, fuse cord, match cord and matches, all to fire a cannon that is pretty much ineffective. ...
It sounds to me like this is a great opportunity for crafters who like doing this sort of thing. Making these goods so you don't' have to, putting them up for sale on a vendor. Would that make it better if a player vendor stocked these items? What would you be willing to pay for their time and materials?

V

Voodoo990

It sounds to me like this is a great opportunity for crafters who like doing this sort of thing. Making these goods so you don't' have to, putting them up for sale on a vendor. Would that make it better if a player vendor stocked these items? What would you be willing to pay for their time and materials?
Sure I would buy them.

The other issue I see with the "hunting pirates" part of this is what Pinko touched on. You go hunt pirates capture one, bring him back to the doc for reward and you get 1k. The cost of firing one heavy shot for me with 100 or more in all skill required and a 23% Alc bonus tali is about 10k per shot and you use at least 10 per pirate ship, at least, and that's if you don't use grape shot, only cannon balls to disable the ship. So you have just spent at least 100k and an hour or two to get 1k. After the novelty has worn off of killing pirates just for the sake of killing pirates cause there is really no reward, this part of the game will die out quickly.

Supreem

Founder, Citadel Studios
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure I would buy them.

The other issue I see with the "hunting pirates" part of this is what Pinko touched on. You go hunt pirates capture one, bring him back to the doc for reward and you get 1k. The cost of firing one heavy shot for me with 100 or more in all skill required and a 23% Alc bonus tali is about 10k per shot and you use at least 10 per pirate ship, at least, and that's if you don't use grape shot, only cannon balls to disable the ship. So you have just spent at least 100k and an hour or two to get 1k. After the novelty has worn off of killing pirates just for the sake of killing pirates cause there is really no reward, this part of the game will die out quickly.
If you bring him back alive, you get more than just the 1000 gold reward.

V

Voodoo990

If you bring him back alive, you get more than just the 1000 gold reward.
The orc boat that you can only have one of right? Or are there other things?

Also just figured out that you can only do one at a time. Once you get the quest and kill or capture a pirate you can no longer damage any other pirate ship till you turn in the death ticket. Is this how it is suppose to work?

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the addition and I'm sure it will improve before release. But the manual of arms for the cannon must be simplified. It is tedious now and just gets in the way of fun.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I like the addition and I'm sure it will improve before release. But the manual of arms for the cannon must be simplified. It is tedious now and just gets in the way of fun.
Agreed/

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree, the other thread talking about the ability to gate to ships is REALLY nice for those of us who play on siege, and the new ships are nice, but other than that there's nothing to be said about this new expansion. The new little docks area out at sea is hard to get to and once you have a ship there's no real reason to go there again, and operating the cannons is a royal pain. (maybe if you have all the items in your inventory allow to just double click the cannon and fire it??? right now the multi-step process is completely not fun)

By the time i get the cannons prepped to fire, a single mage on the other boat could kill everyone on my ship :/