• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cannons

Mesanna

UO Producer | Dark OverLady
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please post any comments/bugs you have regarding Cannons - loading, crafting, and firing.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i'm getting there. could you all add the new ingredients for the cannon stuff alchemists make to the bank? I have no idea where to get charcoal and potash.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
heres something neat, when you buy saltpeter off the alchemist, it places black powder in your backpack

W

woody_cats

charcoal is crafted from boards via cooking menu
saltpeter is purchased from the alchemish at floating emporium
matches from match cord and boards via tinkering menu

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
not sure if intended or what to think, potash is in the alchemy menu, and requires me to be near a fire source to cook

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not in a guild and in Trammel, Someone just fired a cannon at my boat and it damaged it. Is that allowed? I thought that was only in Felucca.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
was it a pirate boat that is allowed ? oh and saw ya in game

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No it was another players boat, They said 'Wait' so I stopped beside their boat and they fired at me! :D :D

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So supreem spawned bonnie the dread pirate.

killed everyone on his ship. hit it ~20 times with cannons. and i could never board it. ever. so i just sat there for a few minutes just shooting it with cannons. never got to get on the boat to tie her up. eventually he just up and sails off.....

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw both of you :O

My dude is Lounge Act via Origin

I can't figure out how to load cannons. Says I don't have the appropriate charge?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a label problem for EC on the saltpeter, it's named black powder and make lot of confusion :/

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cannot craft the fuse cord (in CC)...says missing components. Black powder, check. Ball of yarn, in 3 different graphics check. Water, check. Potash, check. Alchemy skill 100. Argh!

T

Trebr Drab

Cannot craft the fuse cord...says missing components. Black powder, check. Ball of yarn, in 3 different graphics check. Water, check. Potash, check. Alchemy skill 100. Argh!
Not sure, but do you want the water pitcher to be empty?

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cannot craft the fuse cord...says missing components. Black powder, check. Ball of yarn, in 3 different graphics check. Water, check. Potash, check. Alchemy skill 100. Argh!
Not sure, but do you want the water pitcher to be empty?
Figured it out. The water pitcher needs to be full, and I had to make the black powder from the alchemy menu, 3rd from the bottom and not the purchased saltpeter impersonating black powder.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Could you please put an anvil next to the mini soul forge, and more alchemists that sell saltpeter? The price of that stuff is not cheap and it's only going to increase, unless we have a means of gathering it ourselves.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey guys, I wrote a brief FAQ for Cannons due to the difficulty I was having. As Storm pointed out, there is a guide on Stratics. Here's my take:

I. HOW TO CRAFT CANNONS AND CANNON AMMO

Cannon Types:
Light Ship Cannon
Skills Req.: 65 Smith / 65 Carp
Ingots: 900
Boards: 50

Heavy Ship Cannon
Skills Req.: 70 Smith / 70 Carp
Ingots: 1800
Boards: 75

Ammo Types:
Light Grapeshot
Skills Req.: 0 Smith
Ingots: 6
Cloth: 1

Heavy Grapeshot
Skills Req.: 15 Smith
Ingots: 12
Cloth: 2

Light Cannonball
Skills Req.: 0 Smith
Ingots: 6

Heavy Cannonball
Skills Req.: 10 Smith
Ingots: 12

II. HOW TO PLACE, LOAD, AND USE CANNONS

Placing Cannons
In order to place a cannon on a ship you need to look for a yellow, bullet shaped outline on the side or near the front of the ship. Double click your cannon deed and then target the yellow bullet region and if you are close enough to the region a cannon will be placed.

Using Cannons
Using a cannon is a process. Once you have your cannons placed on your ship, you can use them by one of two methods: context menu or by double clicking the cannon itself. If you use the context menu you can do things somewhat faster, whereas double clicking on a cannon gives you a pop-up menu, which might be better for a dedicated cannon worker. Also, if you hover over a cannon, a tool-tip will inform you on its status.

There are four main actions for each cannon on your ship: Clean, Charge, Load, and Prime. Each action must be completed in order.

01. CLEAN
Required after use.

02. CHARGE
Saltpeter: Acquired from Alchemist NPC on floating dock
Charcoal: Crafted via Cooking -> Preparations (Req. 0 Cooking, 1 Board)
Sulfurous Ash: Acquired from Mage or Alchemist NPC
Cloth: Acquired from Tailor

A. Craft Black Powder
(85 Alchemy -> Explosive)
6 Saltpeter, 1 Charcoal, 1 Sulfurous Ash

B. Create Powder Charge
(0 Tailoring -> Materials)
Light Powder Charge: 1 Cloth, 1 Black Powder
Heavy Powder Charge: 1 Cloth, 4 Black Powder

Create a powder charge type that matches the cannon you want (light or heavy). Once you load the powder charge, you can go on to the easy part, loading the cannon.

03. LOAD
Use this option to load cannonballs or grapeshots. The size must match the cannon.

04. PRIME
Once the cannon is charged and loaded, the last thing you need to do is prime it. Only prime the cannon if you are about to fire.

Water: Acquired from Innkeeper
Board: Acquired from lumberjacking
Saltpeter: Acquired from Alchemist NPC on floating dock
Ball of Yarn: Acquired from Tailor

Potash: Created via 0 Alchemy -> Ingredients (Req. 1 Water, 1 Board)
Black Powder: Created via 85 Alchemy -> Explosive (6 Saltpeter, 1 Charcoal, 1 Sulfurous Ash)

Match Cord: Created via 25 Alchemy -> Explosive (Req. 1 Saltpeter, 1 Ball of Yarn, 1 Water, 1 Potash)
Fuse Cord: Created via 55 Alchemy -> Explosive (Req. 1 Black Powder, 1 Ball of Yarn, 1 Water, 1 Potash)

Once you add the Match Cord and the Fuse Cord to a cannon, you can Fire the cannon!

BUTTTTTTT (EDIT) to fire, you need to first make a Match, then double click it to light it! Will edit more specifically in a bit :)

Oh, and final note, get yourself a nice Alchemist talisman to make that Black Powder, its fail rate sucks.

G

Gelf

Curious, does anyone know what the difference is between a light/heavy cannon?

B

Beastmaster

Oh, and final note, get yourself a nice Alchemist talisman to make that Black Powder, its fail rate sucks.
Failures should result in an explosion with some damage and loss of ingredients. MUHAHAHA!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Failures should result in an explosion with some damage and loss of ingredients. MUHAHAHA!
I agree there should be some sort of failure. Like how if you use poisoning skill w/ less than 80 alch you might poison yourself. Could blow up :p

Would be so annoying though :p

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree there should be some sort of failure. Like how if you use poisoning skill w/ less than 80 alch you may poison yourself. Could blow up :p

Would be so annoying though :p
Perhaps people with less than 50 INT could accidently mount the cannon the wrong way and fire a cannon ball through themselves? :p

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
or aim it at the deck, seems kinda looney toonish, im sure it could happen. im all for swinging over to an enemies boat and sliding down the sails myself

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Crafting charcoal is bugged with all the plain wooden boards on your character used up in first single successful attempt.

TMC Crowley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope saltpeter going be sold at all alchemist the one at the dock the price shot really high fast. Trying to buy at the same time as everyone else it a really pain it disappear when you go to pay for it ..:(

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
do they need to be stackable? i dont see charges or uses on them? have they worn out? must...have...info...ugh

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
do they need to be stackable? i dont see charges or uses on them? have they worn out? must...have...info...ugh
I did wonder that myself, But have only fired my cannon a couple of times so wasn't sure.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The guide on Stratics is just a copy of the .pdf issued by Mythic, for those who can't access .pdf files very easily.
I'll update and fine tune it as I can. For a start, it doesn't mention potash!
I need to write something that's in sequence of crafting. I got so tired of finding I was an ingredient missing and having to go back to make it.
As has been pointed out, the price of saltpeter has also gone through the roof. Something will need to be done about that I guess.

A

Asherlord

I can put ammo into cannon without powder loads, but have to unload it before adding powder, ok so far.

But if also fuse cord is added without charge there is no way to unload cannon, I have to remove cannon and place it again.

BTW: ty that I get confirm email after 5 years or such... dunno why I never got one :)

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the cannon firing graphics could be improved upon greatly. It is difficult at the moment to tell when a cannon is even fired.

When a cannon is fired a small smoke graphic should appear at the end of the barrel.

When firing grapeshot the landing graphics should not all appear at once, the ones closest to the cannon should appear slightly before the further ones. The graphic for the landing also doesn't seem right, it looks like a big explosion. It should be half that size at least.

As for cannon balls, you can't even tell they are being fired most of the time. I think the cannon ball should fly through the air like an arrow does.

Cannons are also way too quite.

Here is a video that shows how you load and fire a cannon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9JiT-TLPJc

BBWolf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any chance these light and heavy cannons be loaded into a players house to shoot enemy boats in the area? Special cannon placement in a house besides the 7th year veteran cannon? Or make cannons like the 7th year cannon craftable to shoot ships from Land to Sea.

Also when i tried to see the distance shooting a cannon its like 1 tile away from shooting another ship? Can anyone else confirm this? Maybe aiming the cannon if you cant shoot diagonally or move the ship in a range to hit pirates on Corgul's island...

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i threw an idea past supreem on beat earlier, we should be able to use torches to light the cannons.
crafting a match seems kinda of silly, and if they want to push the issue, taverns should carry matches, every bar i been to has matches for smokers :)

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the fail rate and over all cost of black powder may be a bit high, but could be alleviated by slightly reducing either the fail rate or the cost in salt peter.

Also helpful might be an alternate way to obtain salt peter for HS enabled accounts. Now I dont think we want to have to go through this
Into the 19th century, niter-beds were prepared by mixing manure with either mortar or wood ashes, common earth and organic materials such as straw to give porosity to a compost pile typically 1.5×2×5 meters in size.[3] The heap was usually under a cover from the rain, kept moist with urine, turned often to accelerate the decomposition and leached with water after approximately one year. Dung-heaps were a particularly common source: ammonia from the decomposition of urea and other nitrogenous materials would undergo bacterial oxidation to produce various nitrates, primarily calcium nitrate, which could be converted to potassium nitrate by the addition of potash from wood ashes.
*from Wikipedia*
But maybe, possibly there might be some farmers we could help out in the form of quests that could provide components. *shrugs* Still maybe a bit convoluted for a game. But having only one source, is going to make it difficult.

Maybe someone in Bucs den could offer salt peter as a reward. And I will say if there is a lacking element in all of this to me, it is that Buc's Den, legendary hideaway for knaves and seafarers of all sorts got left out of the mix.

But the actual process of preparing for and using the cannon and all the ammunition felt really well thought out and cohesive.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find the preparation and operation of cannons to be a very complicated process. Maybe a little too realistic?

Well, ingredients and material can be prepared in bulk, I have no issue with that. Salpeter seems to be extremely expensive though. The success rate of making black powder is very low too, even for a GM alchemist. All this makes firing a cannon way too expensive.

I also found a "bug": If you load you cannon in the wrong order (fuse and ammunition first) then you cannot remove those anymore and thus you can't charge the cannon anymore, unless you fire the cannon and fail, and thus lose your fuse.

In general cannons should be a little more user-friendly. Otherwise nobody will use them.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find the preparation and operation of cannons to be a very complicated process. Maybe a little too realistic?
I like it, crafters are going to be happy with it. It is not a one time buy so I would expect to see vendors catering to this market almost immediately.

U

UOKaiser

I like it, crafters are going to be happy with it. It is not a one time buy so I would expect to see vendors catering to this market almost immediately.
Nah we wont. Too many different skills and unless we can sell it for a mil or so it will not be worth the effort to make it. It will end up like all the other items that require multiple crafting skills and sell for cheap. We can make faster gold elsewhere from the limited crafting we have left. Only the people that actually are going to use the boats will craft them for themselves they won't need us. Maybe if they add a requirement to use valorite and high end iron instead of iron where you can just smelt or buy from npc to get then trow in using gold or higher hammers or barbed kits or heartwood kits or runic saws or add in frost wood or other such material then maybe they will need dedicated crafters, other than that we dedicated ones are useless to rest of the community.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hawkeye: Have you seen the page I did for it? I tried to lay it out in logical sequence?

UOKaiser: I suggest you have a look at the page too, especially the skill level requirements in all those multiple craft skills.
Cannons

U

UOKaiser

Hawkeye: Have you seen the page I did for it? I tried to lay it out in logical sequence?

UOKaiser: I suggest you have a look at the page too, especially the skill level requirements in all those multiple craft skills.
Cannons
Yea levels are pretty low. Like I said dedicated crafters not needed anybody can do it without us with there barely used crafters.

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"In general cannons should be a little more user-friendly. Otherwise nobody will use them."
- Hawkeye Pike

Hawkeye is exactly right. The cannon's manual of arms needs to be simplified. As it is, it's a distraction from the fun of this new booster.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps "Your Cannon and You" book for purchase, like for aquariums hehe