• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Am I doing something wrong?

• Thread starter Atlantic Smith
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
A

Atlantic Smith

I went and got 6 paragon chests last night for level 6 maps. After decoding all 6 of them I went out to hunt. I tried all the tips I've seen from other posts, used uo cartography, and even went tile by tile for screens around the area (even though I have gm mining) and still nothing. I cant think of anything else I could do so I figured I'd post here.

My Template:
100 Lockpicking
100 cartography
100 mining
100 magery
100 eval
100 med
Etc

I've been using normal npc bought shovels and doing the normal double click (then last object) and goin tile by tile targeting the ground.

Any advice? I spent hours looking up all the advice on these forums and know that I'm in the right area if not the exact spot I'm suppose to be at.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just as a question...
did you check all 6 spots?
or is this just first map?
Also are there any keeps or castles or other homes near these spots?

1 map - ok you got unlucky and got one that is bugged or stuck in an unattainable area.
ALL 6 Maps - Might be complete unluckiness but chances are something is wrong...not sure if it is technique or what. To fix it we could get a picture/screenshot of the map and your coordinates or whatever, or you need to find a thunter you trust to take a look for you.

If you need help in-game and time permits I could jump on my thunter Thorn Silverblade and give you a hand. (Assuming of course that your name being Atlantic Smith that you are on Atlantic)

A

Atlantic Smith

Yeah I tried all 6 maps, in tokuno, tram, and malas.

I've been doing it the same way I use to do them two years ago and even went tile by tile and tried doing all the tips like go a little to the south east and even went two screens in each direction.

I also know the map pretty well and know how it's different in game than the map it brings up. I'm going to try again and see how it works, if you want to try I am on atlantic but I had a friend try to look at the map and it wouldn't let them since I deciphered it.

I'll pm you my icq number in a minute after a few more tries.

A

Atlantic Smith

Here is a screenshot, Every single tile on the uocartography map screen I've attempted to dig.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK I have my thunter on and in-game and at your malas screenshot location. Stop by if you like.

N

Nastia Cross

Looks like you're down too far. I find that all the maps I do, the chest is NEVER at the point where the needle meets the map, but somewhere off to the east side and between the end point and the red dot.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I reckon that map is at, or very close to, 131.34N x 6.40W

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We got him all straightened out.
And you were right on location, the chest was actually around the northwest corner of that southern house there.

NullByte

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bet you did what I did. I just returned and last night did my first treasure map in three years.

I double clicked my shovel and then targeted the ground. It DOSENT WORK THAT WAY ANYMORE.

You need to double click the shovel and then target the map your trying to dig up and then the ground.

If your doing that then beats me.

Cheers
NullByte

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I bet you did what I did. I just returned and last night did my first treasure map in three years.

I double clicked my shovel and then targeted the ground. It DOSENT WORK THAT WAY ANYMORE.

You need to double click the shovel and then target the map your trying to dig up and then the ground.

If your doing that then beats me.

Cheers
NullByte
you can also click on the map, bring up its context menu, and select the option to dig, without ever touching the shovel. Granted, it's easier to set up a macro to help look for the spot by trial and error, by clicking the shovel first, but I don't like keeping the shovel in the top level of my backpack in the classic client.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can also click on the map, bring up its context menu, and select the option to dig, without ever touching the shovel.
You know what amazes me...after 13 years of this game I can still learn something new! Thanks Basara.

O

Old Man of UO

I spent 15 minutes digging for a T-Map, usually can find them in 2-3 minutes. Jungles give me a bit of a headache, but this was in open forests. Finally it dawned on me that I was digging with a completed map and not the one I had open. Once I switched, I found the chest at my original spot.

I didn't even realize you could continue digging with a completed treasure map.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heheh That's why I always take completed maps out of my pack. Been there, done that.
Terry says he has too. We call them 'senior moments' :D

A

Atlantic Smith

Yeah I was doing it wrong lol. I was targeting the shovel then the ground instead of the tmap. I'm going to try to use that tmap gump too.

Thanks a ton everyone especially Tully