• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any thoughts towards a "pirate" template?

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahoy mateys!

I know we are not going to see anything new in the way of skills included with the upcoming booster, but I see an opportunity to adjust skills to fit ship-to-ship and boarding combat.

I am no master when it comes to maximizing templates, but I think it is time I consider some changes.

I am going to revisit the Mystic template mentioned in previous message. I have the skills already or at least at the Grand Master level I simply need to take a look at it again.

I am also work on my bowmanship as it would appear to compliment my swordsmanship. The former for range and the later for close quarters.

I also understand that until we get to actually play the beta it not but a guessing game. That said what ideas are you scallywags tossin' about?

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If we have enough of use with hybrid templates meaning a fighting skill and archery we'd be pretty well off in group fights once we concentrate fire.

Velocity/Lightning/SSI/DI/HLD bows especially Composite bows with running shot.

Or Balance/Lightning/SSI/DI/HLA as a defensive bow with potions.

Leeches are worthless in pvp.

Or each person pulls out a different type one with mortal and others use power shots like concussion blow or AI.

Although everyone using the same template gets predictable, I'm still against bushido as it's a crutch.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We'll have to see what it takes to man the cannons... templates may be adjusted accordingly.

But here's my thoughts:
Archery/tactics/healing/anatomy/bushido/chivalry/resist (resist is VERY important in ship to ship) at varying levels.
Easy to play, lacks area effect spells.

Mysticism/focus/swords/anatomy/tactics/parry/healing all at varying levels.
I'm pretty sure this template will be king of the ship fighters. Mysticism has the ranged attacks, swords has the shorter attacks... hard to kill on land, on sea it could be even harder. The disadvantage is a well placed paralyze field will put you out for the count. (this line subject to change due to unknown game mechanics)

Mysticism/focus/magery/evaluate intelligence/resist magic/(insert complementary skill here, alchemy, wrestling, parry, meditation, inscription, fishing, spellweaving, whatever...)
A disarm would clean this guy's clock in close quarters. The problem is getting to the close quarters. This character is MEAN.

My main will stay Aneirin at 120 archery, mace fighting, tactics, 100 healing, anatomy, meditation and 60 chivalry (plus or minus a few).

Another thing to keep in mind is that in close quarters, a good necromancer can wither the heck out of an enemy. Va'lis has killed us all that way more than once at sea.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with Aneirin that Magic Resist might be good to have. I think any template will be useful:

• Ranged attacks for ship-to-ship combat.
  • Melee fighters for boarding.
  • People with high defensive and healing capabilities for handling the cannons.
  • And types of hybrid.

I think an Archer Mystic might be an interesting template, however it would require quite an exceptional suit.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
~snip~

My main will stay Aneirin at 120 archery, mace fighting, tactics, 100 healing, anatomy, meditation and 60 chivalry (plus or minus a few).

~snip~
:thumbup:

I have a similar template that I have been wanting to spend some time on (minus the archery and meditation). Tell me about your choice of meditation? For Chivalry? If you were to try and fit GM resist into this what would you lower or drop to fit it in? How about jewels?

I like the looks of the other templates as well. I would like to avoid spell-casting if possible (The RPer in me). Chivalry I can live with and would consider Mystic. I have archery at 70 so perhaps I will do some training and give it a shot (pun intended).

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We'll have to see what it takes to man the cannons... templates may be adjusted accordingly.

But here's my thoughts:
Archery/tactics/healing/anatomy/bushido/chivalry/resist (resist is VERY important in ship to ship) at varying levels.
Easy to play, lacks area effect spells.

Mysticism/focus/swords/anatomy/tactics/parry/healing all at varying levels.
I'm pretty sure this template will be king of the ship fighters. Mysticism has the ranged attacks, swords has the shorter attacks... hard to kill on land, on sea it could be even harder. The disadvantage is a well placed paralyze field will put you out for the count. (this line subject to change due to unknown game mechanics)

Mysticism/focus/magery/evaluate intelligence/resist magic/(insert complementary skill here, alchemy, wrestling, parry, meditation, inscription, fishing, spellweaving, whatever...)
A disarm would clean this guy's clock in close quarters. The problem is getting to the close quarters. This character is MEAN.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in close quarters, a good necromancer can wither the heck out of an enemy. Va'lis has killed us all that way more than once at sea.
Yeah we should never die to wither that was the most ridiculous thing we've done, with magic armor wither isn't that great. It's why we need to go through a training.