• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

An open letter to the United Pirates crew

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahoy mates and wenches!

Any guild, especially one with such a "controversial ethical attitude" as da United Pirates, needs a certain number of members who regularly live and breathe the spirit of da brethren they signed up to. It does not necessarily need to be a large number of people, but enough to build a strong foundation of the guild.

As ye all know, this foundation in the United Pirates crew is very small to non-existant. Of course, there are some very dedicated pirates like Aneirin, and a couple of others who show up occasionally. But most of da time when pirate activity and commitment is required, it boils down to Aneirin and me.

I don't want to finger-point or blame anyone here. I just want to point out some facts and their consequences. I am well aware that we have many members who simply don't have time ta be around very often, which is fine by me. I know that these people are very good companions nevertheless, and I am happy ta have them in the crew.

However, with the lack of a strong pirate base we cannot strengthen the pirate spirit and cannot maintain what once was the most feared and respected guild of scallywags on Catskills. Not only will landlubbers just overrun us, we also will drift away into meaningless; a process that already has started.

As ye know, I can and will do my part ta prevent this, but I am mostly limited to times that do not match the general times of activity on Catskills, with some exceptions. Also, if I organize events (which is more time-consuming as ye may think) it is not really motivating if I am da only pirate showing up.

What I basically want ta say: I don't find meself capable of perpetuating the pirate crew-spirit as ye know it (i.e. organizing events, motivating and leading crew members, taking care of inter-guild relations, recruiting new members, giving advise etc.) if I don't have at least two very reliable pirates who can fully support me and take over the role of da Captain, especially during the numerous times of my absence. It is too much fer one person to handle, especially if this person is mostly available when all others sleep.

I also want ta point out that in no way do I latch on to being the Captain of the United Pirates. I will always be a member of this crew with all me heart, but if someone should prove ta do da Captain's job wid more persistency and more commitment, I will gladly step down. This person should be open-minded and tolerant, especially towards all those guilds and people we have relations to, but without losing sight of our guild character and goals.

I encourage anyone who thinks he/she is up fer this challenge, ta step forward!

If it remains only Aneirin and me who can and want to lead dis crew, it is very likely dat da United Pirates will once again return ta where we started in 1998, which is a small group of scoundrels who will occasionally meet fer small adventures. It will be this way until someone comes along who has da heart, time and commitment ta bring us back to power. It is likely that this person won't be me.

May yer hearts be strong, and may da pirate spirit always live in it!

Hawkeye Pike

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you found me people to kill/harass I'd be around more often but walking around alone doing nothing gets boring fast.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahoy Capn' and shipmates,

I completely understand your missive Capn'. I, like many, have had that "other life" require far more of my time than in the past. Wife, kids, work and play all compete for my attention as they do for all of us. I know the excuse of "It's summer..." is often over used, but in my case with the kids out of school and plenty of outside work around the house (yard, garden, etc...) compounds matters for me. I have learned not to make strong commits if I feel I can not maintain them.

All this said I pledge to renew my commitment to all you scallywags as best I can. With the kids back to school in the next week or so, with things at work going well and with the summer coming to a close I foresee more "me" time in my future and that will mean more UO time and therefore UP time!

With all the challenges I think you are a fine Captain and I hope to repay your hard work and dedication by being more active.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you found me people to kill/harass I'd be around more often but walking around alone doing nothing gets boring fast.
I'm not blaming anybody for not being around. I'm just explaining the current situation.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm dealing with a real life issue that I won't get into, but my game-time is increasing.

After my month away, I do feel refreshed and my perspective is shifting from the old on to the new. We'll talk about that more in-person.

When I'm back to my former level of activity, I do have some plans, but I'll definitely need support from other pirates.

1. More "events". These will be to show the shard that we're active and willing to play with others. They'll likely be very simple events such as walks through Ilshenar (no magic gear!) or mucking about in public places (such as killing each other in New Haven if nobody else shows up). I'm not going to do a lot of planning ahead for these until other groups start supporting our events.

2. More role play. I'm done looking for stuff. I have everything I need, and won't waste time killing Navery 100 times for an apron. Any new projects of mine can be supported by Sambal's imbuing skills. This means that my game-time can be used for hanging out and interacting with everyone (red, blue, green, orange... no matter to me)

3. Try to attend events thrown by other groups. As always, my time zone limitations prevent a high rate of attendance, but I'll certainly try. I suggest the rest of us do so as well, even if we don't like the people throwing the event.

4. More "hostile" interactions. This is a tough one. I haven't seen any warred guilds in the longest of times. But I do intend to be more... piratey.

Note to Scarst:
Maybe an archery tournament will be a fun thing? Even if we have to pool our resources for the reward or go with less of a reward. Your tournaments have always been fun.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm dealing with a real life issue that I won't get into, but my game-time is increasing.

After my month away, I do feel refreshed and my perspective is shifting from the old on to the new. We'll talk about that more in-person.

When I'm back to my former level of activity, I do have some plans, but I'll definitely need support from other pirates.

1. More "events". These will be to show the shard that we're active and willing to play with others. They'll likely be very simple events such as walks through Ilshenar (no magic gear!) or mucking about in public places (such as killing each other in New Haven if nobody else shows up). I'm not going to do a lot of planning ahead for these until other groups start supporting our events.

2. More role play. I'm done looking for stuff. I have everything I need, and won't waste time killing Navery 100 times for an apron. Any new projects of mine can be supported by Sambal's imbuing skills. This means that my game-time can be used for hanging out and interacting with everyone (red, blue, green, orange... no matter to me)

3. Try to attend events thrown by other groups. As always, my time zone limitations prevent a high rate of attendance, but I'll certainly try. I suggest the rest of us do so as well, even if we don't like the people throwing the event.

4. More "hostile" interactions. This is a tough one. I haven't seen any warred guilds in the longest of times. But I do intend to be more... piratey.

Note to Scarst:
Maybe an archery tournament will be a fun thing? Even if we have to pool our resources for the reward or go with less of a reward. Your tournaments have always been fun.
You Know I would except I'm running low on gold so the random non RP'ers don't see much of a draw, also I tryied to keep it out of the hands of any guild to claim it, if a guild wanted to make an anonymous donation fine whatever but I've said this to other people over ICQ and now I'll say it on a public forum, the reason I'm trying to keep it out of guild hands is because some people don't like certain guilds and some guild just like random credit given to them I wont say which one but everyone I've done this spiel with knows and it's not the pirates.

Also, I'm over magic gear until people start to chill out on twinking and I don't see PGoH ever stopping, I don't really feel like dealing with anyone magic armor is awful use it for pvm if you want but Europa's got the right idea when it comes to RP GM armor and weapons and teamwork.

C

Corvak

I can pitch in some funds for a prize if you need em for an archery tournament.

If for no other reason then to get more events going :)

(Though I am in an odd situation of being both a pirate and a royal guard - my characters are technically stepbrothers who hate each other's guts though. It works out :p)