• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] New level 6 maps.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just opened a chest that I got half an hour ago from a paragon blood elemental in Ilshenar. The map in it is for a location in Ter Mur.

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just opened a chest that I got half an hour ago from a paragon blood elemental in Ilshenar. The map in it is for a location in Ter Mur.
Correct Petra, since they inserted the fix which solved the bad map locations spawn, the paragon chest maps have become sort of random...

So far I've received Trammel maps, Felucca maps, Tokuno maps, Malas maps and Ter Mur maps. I haven't seen any Ilshenar maps from paragon chests yet, which is slightly annoying, because I've only done two level 5's in Ilshenar so far and would like to do more...

But I suppose that's just down to the luck of the draw. The code probably selects a random location on a random facet, and with that many facets to choose from it's not really a surprise that the other facets show up a plenty aswell...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:D I also got a level 5 map during my time playing with the blood eles.
The worrying thing was, I'd planned to use that chest for training. Our fully trained T hunter is Terry's char, I'm training one up for me. Using the 'crystal ball of knowledge' I expected that chest to come up either 'too difficult' or 'very challenging'. However it came up 'optimal' and opened on the second attempt. The character currently has only 87 lockpicking.
It's going to be very difficult to train the other 13 points, all the level 4 chests in the dungeons come up 'easy'.
I'm not sure how to update the lockpick info we have, but the 'minimum to open' figures are now way out.

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, that is slightly worrying...

I wonder if anyone who's post-patch training lockpicking can confirm if tinker-made box training has been affected by this?

You might be able to train up the last 13.0 points in the Weald though...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm, maybe. I've never tried training in the Weald. On an entirely personal level it doesn't feel 'right' to me. It feels like an exploit tbh.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Further information on this.
Encouraged by being able to open a level 6 paragon chest, I attempted digging a level 4 treasure map - and had to borrow Terry's char to open the chest for me. Lockpicking the treasure chest still requires the higher skill level.

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the update, Petra. Guess we'll need to find out new minimums for the paragon chests though...

I never use my normal lockpicks on paragon chests anymore, I just unlock everything with the abundance of skeleton keys I've obtained so far...

O

Old Man of UO

hmm, maybe. I've never tried training in the Weald. On an entirely personal level it doesn't feel 'right' to me. It feels like an exploit tbh.
Not sure it can be considered an exploit; if it is the Developers have known about it since the Twisted Weald was introduced and they have chosen not to fix it. This certainly isn't any worse than beating a golem for melee skills, and it's possible but difficult to do AFK.

That said, you can easily go from 87 to GM in the Weald within two days.

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have an old friend, Kush, who never even used UO assist and I'd imagine would never even consider the "satyr trick." I guess some are just purists and enjoy the challenge. If they ever take the trick away, they won't have to adjust to it. ;)

O

Old Man of UO

I have an old friend, Kush, who never even used UO assist and I'd imagine would never even consider the "satyr trick." I guess some are just purists and enjoy the challenge. If they ever take the trick away, they won't have to adjust to it. ;)
I've done Cartography twice now... once was enough using the "old" way!

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ditto.. I trained both Lockpicking and Cartography the hard way, but my second t-hunter was entirely Weald-Satyr trained. I wasn't planning on doing it the hard way again :)

The developers have said they don't consider the satyr trick to be an exploit, just a clever way of using game mechanics, just in case anyone wonders...

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saddens me lol that once my maps are done they no longer correspond to my THB runebook library, guess it gives a little more *hunt* to the treasure though, but am slowly building a new library for the new maps :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, I gave in to temptation and decided to try it - and got pixies provo'd on to me. I died twice and decided I'm not meant to train that way. Back to buying scrolls and gaining slowly. I've got my tamer doing the hag's quest for maps to train on too.

O

Old Man of UO

well, I gave in to temptation and decided to try it - and got pixies provo'd on to me. I died twice and decided I'm not meant to train that way. Back to buying scrolls and gaining slowly. I've got my tamer doing the hag's quest for maps to train on too.
Once you figure out how to do this, it's not hard at all. With a few tries you should be able to get discorded without having anything provoked onto you.

What I do is "attack" the satyr from as far away from it as possible and still have it respond to the attack. Run towards the exit from the Twisted Weald stay out of range, and it can't provoke anything onto you, but will still discord you. If this didn't work, just run back in and start over, running towards the cu sidhe spawning area then back towards the exit.

If you do get pixies provoked onto you and you can't kill them (flame strikes work well), recall out of the server and you will be un-targeted. IF you go back in without leaving the server they pixies will continue to target you.