• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] How Did you Feel About the Rare Festival Auction Format?

How did you feel about the rare festival auction format?

• I liked it alot.

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • I didn't like it.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I have no opinion on it.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I liked it, but would recommend some changes.

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters
D

DVI

I've gathered some feed back from several players, but would like to see what others think.

If you have thoughts, suggestions, criticisms please feel free to post them in the thread as well.

Thank you,

[DVI]

Graywand

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked it a lot! As a matter of fact I'm thinking of adding that style auction to my vendor house. Great idea you guys had!

The only thing that I didn't like was the whole open ended may not sell issue. Where the item might not be sold unless the buyer was happy with the price. That's what minimum opening bids are for. If you get your asked opening bid, then you should sell.

That may not trouble some, but it can be problematic for a smaller collector like me with relatively limited funds. The thought of having a large amount off gold reserved for an item that in the end may not even be sold was troubling. Being unable to contact the items owner to verify that they were indeed going to sell the item at the end of the festival as well in my case didn't help. I ended up retracting my bid and spending the gold on an item on vendor, that I knew would be sold.

Again, if you have a gajillian gold pieces it's a non-issue. However if the price amounts to a large percentage of your available capital it would really suck to watch other items be sold around you and at the end be stuck with he same gold you brought instead of an item for your collection. Being outbid is one thing. Being left hanging with a no sale is something else.

All in all I really liked the auction and festival. You guys did a GREAT JOB!

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought it was great. Well thought out, well executed, everything went smooth and quick. The great thing about the auction is you actually had time to think about if you wanted to bid higher or not. You weren't caught in a bidding war were you only had a minute or seconds to decide if you wanted to go higher. Really a big thumbs up on you guys for actually being around what seemed like 24/7 for the weekend as well. I think future rares fests will aspire to do as good of a job as the bunch of you have done.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if we could have done it over, we would have made it so that the owner of an item must do 1 of the following: set a buyout, set a reserve, or have the high bidder win the item at the end of the auction time.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Items should have a stated reserve or minimum sale price. I saw a few items that I would have considered transfering money over for had I been more confident I might have owned them at the end but such is life. Yet I truelly enjoyed hopping on a chessy char and talking in Vent with other guild members about this item or that, and looking at the museums....lots more money those people have then I shall ever need.

The vendors were a different story I thought. Most were full of over priced everyday "rare" items which needed reviewing. There needs to be better knowledge as to "value". This said some vendors had really neat items but most seemed to be there strictly to take advantage of the festival.

Apetul

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked the fact that the item doesnt have a reserve and i can pull off the item whenever i want. Why? because the most important thing in the auction are the rares. The rares must be sold if the seller really feels comfortable with the price or whatever.
A suggestion could be, optionally to add a book with any detailed description if needed, like whatever effect the item do, or sound, or season/shard/dropnumber info.. etc.

Very nice job, and I need to add that I only submited items because DVI was the owner. I dont know the other guy, but i do know that dvi is trustworthy.

D

DVI

one aspect of the auction house that Demonous and I have discussed since the festival ended was to slightly adjust the set up of the house to create a viewing area so that the house does not need to be continually set private for items to be removed or added.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked the fact that the item doesnt have a reserve and i can pull off the item whenever i want. Why? because the most important thing in the auction are the rares. The rares must be sold if the seller really feels comfortable with the price or whatever.
A suggestion could be, optionally to add a book with any detailed description if needed, like whatever effect the item do, or sound, or season/shard/dropnumber info.. etc.

Very nice job, and I need to add that I only submited items because DVI was the owner. I dont know the other guy, but i do know that dvi is trustworthy.
I think it would be better to have a stated closing date/time. That makes a true auction and everyone knows what is going on. This said it is not my show so I can only comment from the outside.

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if we could have done it over, we would have made it so that the owner of an item must do 1 of the following: set a buyout, set a reserve, or have the high bidder win the item at the end of the auction time.
Hi,
this is what I would like.
Its impossible to bring gold enough to have spread out on many auctions.
I actually missed one item because I could not wait and see...

Thank you for a well done festival to all hosts.
Everytime I logged in at least one of you were attended,mostly more than one.

Regards
The Scandinavian

D

DVI

I think it would be better to have a stated closing date/time. That makes a true auction and everyone knows what is going on. This said it is not my show so I can only comment from the outside.
Aye, Picus you are correct we didn't have a set closing time and that would have been helpful information.

D

DVI

If possible could the people who didnt like the auction house post what they didnt like, or pm the info to me, im curious to see all points of view

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If possible could the people who didnt like the auction house post what they didnt like, or pm the info to me, im curious to see all points of view
I absolutuly did not understand it, wasnt there, didnt know when it was, didnt know how to put an item in, didnt know where to see the items for sale, didnt know how to put an offer in.

I dont have time to read all stratics posts or check all ingame rares fest options.

All i knew and could find was that the rares fest would be 3 houses next to the gate found from the moon gate into tok and the vendoors where avaliable for 3 weeks [1.5 before 1.5after]

Thunderz

If you wana do it again make it global as i dont read every post on every forum, thats where i think it went wrong. You only got the sellers and buyers who watch the forums you posted the details on.

I missed the whole auction as i found a little bit of info he and there but nothing specific.

Maybe ask Petra or Messana to create a sub forum on the rares forum for the "rares fest forum" so we can all look there and find the info on everything that will happen on the next rares festival and not miss it all as its so vague atm

Thunderz

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only happened to find the auction house by mistake while jumping in the house teleporters to look around. It would have been handy for a town-crier or those annoying pixies to spam about the house.

At the same time a fixed rune near the gate would be handy to direct people to the house, this is if the GM's don't mind.

All in all I thought it was a great idea to see all the items for sale. There was a kilt I was chewing over placing a bid on yet I am kiltless so we all know I didn't win :rolleyes:

F

Fraggles

i loved the auction set up. The things i would change are:
1. Have an end date posted on the item board
2.have item info such as season, drops, and event

I didnt mind being kicked out of the house when it was turned private at all and i didnt see anyone complaining about that, each time it was only a matter of minutes before it was public again and i would just go browse vendors until we where able to go in and see the new items. im not sure of another why it could have been done that would make if a safe secure spot for the items.
Anyways i cant wait until the next fest! where is it going to be anyways??
Oh and i enjoyed putting a face with the stratics names !

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I absolutuly did not understand it, wasnt there :lol:, didnt know when it was, didnt know how to put an item in, didnt know where to see the items for sale, didnt know how to put an offer in.
Thunderz
Yep we all know u wasnt there, but your cat did an awesome job advertising your vendor :lol:
Maybe he will learn how to use auctions on next fest :p

back in the thread.. i met a guy that doesnt speak english very well (like me) and he doesnt read stratics at all, but he submited 1 item and won a couple too, so stratics isnt the problem.

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

the other guy..... :p i hope u think differently now, seeing as i handled all the rares being placed in the auction house

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I absolutuly did not understand it, wasnt there, didnt know when it was, didnt know how to put an item in, didnt know where to see the items for sale, didnt know how to put an offer in.

I dont have time to read all stratics posts or check all ingame rares fest options.

All i knew and could find was that the rares fest would be 3 houses next to the gate found from the moon gate into tok and the vendoors where avaliable for 3 weeks [1.5 before 1.5after]

Thunderz

If you wana do it again make it global as i dont read every post on every forum, thats where i think it went wrong. You only got the sellers and buyers who watch the forums you posted the details on.

I missed the whole auction as i found a little bit of info he and there but nothing specific.

Maybe ask Petra or Messana to create a sub forum on the rares forum for the "rares fest forum" so we can all look there and find the info on everything that will happen on the next rares festival and not miss it all as its so vague atm

Thunderz
you were at the rares fest for hours on end, you knew the people that were in charge and could have simply asked us how to submit an item sir, and i saw you at the auction house a few times

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the other guy..... :p i hope u think differently now, seeing as i handled all the rares being placed in the auction house
Oh sorry "other guy" haha, I just tried to say that when I found that DVI was involved with the auction house then I decided to submit a few items. By association, I trusted on you and asked you directly on icq about how to submit items. The house was full of items and you found extra places to put some items, nice job, thanks :)

G

Gunga_Din

You all have to remember, after the last rares festival heist, we felt it would be difficult to get a lot of people to introduce rares for any auction.

Thus, the Sellers Auction was recommended as an incentive to get more items up for auction.

Like Demon said, we would probably change it next time, but after what happened on Pacific, we thought this setup was a good idea.

Overall, this festival was the best one I've attended.

(1) I prefered this type of auction. Great to see the items on display
(2) Outside Luna
(3) Tons of vendor spots. Nobody left out.
(4) The events and raffles were very thought out and Gareth's play was hilarious.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't really blame Apetul... your avatar does make you look a bit like a criminal.

I like that image, btw.

BlissMarie

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
haha maybe i should change it... and for the record ive been told the most vendors we had at 1 time was 105, but factoring in people taking vendors down and new ones going up we had a great deal more than that

S

shulginist

Yep we all know u wasnt there, but your cat did an awesome job advertising your vendor :lol:
Maybe he will learn how to use auctions on next fest :p
Haha nice one.

Back on subject I was out of town for 6 days but I am back now. I have to say I absolutely loved the auction set up. It not only gave people time to research items it also gave people from the other side of the world a chance to bid on items as well without having to wake up at an odd hour to attend a traditional auction. Another aspect that was nice was being able to make more gold and bid on items as you are able to afford.

Being booted out from time to time was never a big deal since it would take a minute or less in most cases minus the time when the teleporters went fubar.

Overall such a great experience. Thank you all who were involved.