• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Scheduled Maintenance 7/13/10 – All Shards

P

Phineas le Monge

Re: [UO Herald] Scheduled Maintenance 7/13/10 - All Shards

Be ware as all 1mil checks are changed to 1k - all gold loot is cut by 90% - and all "rares" on your shard are turned to horse dung...and...every vendor with more than 50k in gold on them is accidentally deleted! Woot! - Hello new economy!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hey folks,

We realize this downtime is an inconvenience to many, but with a global community there is simply no "best time" to do it. [...]
James, everyone who knows something about databases is aware that such an update (especially after such a long time) will be an improvement and even a necessity. I am very happy and relieved to see this happening, because:

• It means you still consider UO important enough to make a massive technology update.
  • A new database will improve many things, like better performance and faster queries and analysis. I can imagine that this will positively affect many aspects of the game, maybe even the anti-cheating measures.

Thanks for the heads up! Keep going! And ignore the inevitable doomsayers. :)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

Hey folks,

We realize this downtime is an inconvenience to many, but with a global community there is simply no "best time" to do it. [...]
James, everyone who knows something about databases is aware that such an update (especially after such a long time) will be an improvement and even a necessity. I am very happy and relieved to see this happening, because:

• It means you still consider UO important enough to make a massive technology update.
  • A new database will improve many things, like better performance and faster queries and analysis. I can imagine that this will positively affect many aspects of the game, maybe even the anti-cheating measures.

/this

...but will my inn still be there... :D

Y

Yen Sid

Lets just hope everything is backed up 100 times just in case lol, I don't want to log onto my shard to find 0 characters lol. :gee:

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

In Europa 2 pm is about 6.30 pm.
This means that there is an entire day of non-playing because the most people have been playing in the afternoon and evening hours. It's not right. The maintenance, also if it is a special maintenance, have to be made in other hours, early hours.
Iìm very angry. This is a very injustice
Calm down Ivory

how about you spend the down time working out were the half hour comes from?

Also office hours in the USA means that they will be working when we are at home in the evening, Do you REALLY think they are going to be working during the NIGHT so you can get your gametime in?

I think not

best grab a book, or watch TV, relax

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hey folks,

We realize this downtime is an inconvenience to many, but with a global community there is simply no "best time" to do it.

As a policy we pad our estimates because as many of you vets are aware, things don't always go as planned, but most of the time they do! We will work to complete the job as soon as possible, but this is a complex undertaking and I'm sure you can all appreciate our desire to ensure that your play experience is not interrupted further after the downtime and that it's better we do it right the first time :)

Updating these systems is not a frequent thing but is necessary to provide the best experience possible as we continue to develop and support the game in a world of ever changing technology.

I will update the Herald post when the servers come online or with any additional details/info should additional time be required. As always your patience is appreciated and we'll have you back in game as soon as possible - thanks!
Thank you for keeping us updated. Simple communication means -a lot- to this player!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

. . .sure you can all appreciate our desire to ensure that your play experience is not interrupted further after the downtime and that it's better we do it right the first time :)
Thanks for that.

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

OH NOOOOOOOOO!

Can we also schedule a teeny, tiny little 4 minute revert with this? I had no idea this was happening (I usually read the forums everyday) and had just made my way into the Abyss and lost connection in the middle of the foul beasties down there....

*weeps* My Evil Hello Kitty Underpants will be gone forever!

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

OH NOOOOOOOOO!

Can we also schedule a teeny, tiny little 4 minute revert with this? I had no idea this was happening (I usually read the forums everyday) and had just made my way into the Abyss and lost connection in the middle of the foul beasties down there....

*weeps* My Evil Hello Kitty Underpants will be gone forever!
If we see the Slasher wearing Hello Kitty Underpants at server up, we will know where they came from!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

don't worry, tomorrow we wake up and we find a huge green acres with all naked bald characters that run around :D
Nahh, they are really listening to those people who like to recommended that they just simply wipe the shards of all items/houses/gold and simply start anew :p

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

In Europa 2 pm is about 6.30 pm.
This means that there is an entire day of non-playing because the most people have been playing in the afternoon and evening hours. It's not right. The maintenance, also if it is a special maintenance, have to be made in other hours, early hours.
Iìm very angry. This is a very injustice
I agree with this. I recently gave up my career to pursue my life long dream of running a successful sock puppet theater. As a result, the servers are now down during my prime playing time.

Mook Chessy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

ditto!

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Good to see they are updating the back end. Hopefully uogamecodes will start working for me.

Any chance of upgrades like this reaper?

Or gargoyle upgrades like this?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

*pics snipped, follow the link*

Any chance of upgrades like this reaper?

Or gargoyle upgrades like this?
Wow, where did you get that? Is that Ultima IX?

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*sigh*
Actually poor Ultima X:Odyssey that EA decided to scrap. I just happened to find 148 pics of that game that never saw daylight.

Look at what we could have had. Look at the images section.
gamespot

*double sigh*
Looks like it was practically finished too. Oh why don't they update everything to this.

*sob*

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Nice! Are you hiring???
It just so happens that one of the characters in my next production is supposed to have a thick Boston accent. I'm horrible at impersonations.

Send resume and references via PM and I'll let you know!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

*sigh*
Actually poor Ultima X:Odyssey that EA decided to scrap. I just happened to find 148 pics of that game that never saw daylight.

*double sigh*
Looks like it was practically finished too. Oh why don't they update everything to this.

*sob*
Wow, given that it is possible to create a full 3D first person perspective client for UO, if they still have the work on that, wouldn't that be something? But I'm not as optimistic as you. Based on what I saw in those pics, I'd say it was a very long way from being done.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wow, given that it is possible to create a full 3D first person perspective client for UO, if they still have the work on that, wouldn't that be something? But I'm not as optimistic as you. Based on what I saw in those pics, I'd say it was a very long way from being done.
At this time i will be very satiscfied if the EC looks like the Kingdom Reborn client on the promo screens ;)

C

Cal_Mythic

Latest update

At this time all character data, applications for login servers, vet reward/account age, and the upgrade to the new version of Oracle are complete.

We are at the stage where our internal DBA and Net Engineering are verifying status of all systems before we ramp up to making the shards public.

We will keep you updated.

Hobo Sapien

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great, just got home from work and yes I new this was gonna happen. Now it looks like I am gonna have to do some dishes and maybe even some laundry. Ooh I hate doin laundry, means I have to go in the basement.......... and we all know what hides in the basement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

Cal_Mythic

Great, just got home from work and yes I new this was gonna happen. Now it looks like I am gonna have to do some dishes and maybe even some laundry. Ooh I hate doin laundry, means I have to go in the basement.......... and we all know what hides in the basement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grue?!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

ahahha you remind me Chad Vader :D

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Latest update

At this time all character data, applications for login servers, vet reward/account age, and the upgrade to the new version of Oracle are complete.

We are at the stage where our internal DBA and Net Engineering are verifying status of all systems before we ramp up to making the shards public.

Patchurday!

T

Trevelyan

Latest update

Out of interest, is there anything that we will notice different once the shards are back?

W

wee papa smurf

Latest update

I take it this means you have finished looting our houses? :lol:

:thumbup1:

C

Cal_Mythic

Out of interest, is there anything that we will notice different once the shards are back?
A lot of it is on the backend but one of the major things we are updating will be making sure account age correct for the respective player (important to vets) ...also login server stability.

Most of this update is about stability and ability to verify and respond to any issues players have. On an old DB it's very difficult to get support if you're not certain if it's the DB or the information from the player.

Recovery time will also be better for server startup. (From our side).

In short we're eliminating hurdles to service of the game.

Hopefully this answers your question.

As Hawkeye brought up this is really a big deal for us ... let's everyone know we are still doing all we can for the longevity of the game.

- c

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Calm down Ivory

how about you spend the down time working out were the half hour comes from?

Also office hours in the USA means that they will be working when we are at home in the evening, Do you REALLY think they are going to be working during the NIGHT so you can get your gametime in?

I think not

best grab a book, or watch TV, relax
I live in country and i work in country.
All the day under the sun ( here is summer and there are also 35°).
Don't worry for me, i stay always out of home. in plain air :)
The evening sometimes i go out with my friends and sometimes i'm too tired that the only thing that relax me is to play a little.
Understand?
Why you are the one that always attack me all time i write something?
Stop, please. You have bored me :sad2:
Think to yourself :thumbup1:

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I live in country and i work in country.
All the day under the sun ( here is summer and there are also 35°).
Don't worry for me, i stay always out of home. in plain air :)
The evening sometimes i go out with my friends and sometimes i'm too tired that the only thing that relax me is to play a little.
Understand?
Why you are the one that always attack me all time i write something?
Stop, please. You have bored me :sad2:
Think to yourself :thumbup1:
Most of the time you're crying how huge injustice it is for you to be unable to gain item X in game or how skill Y is impossible to train. Now you're thinkinking the maintenance is happening at these hours because there's some weird huge conspiracy going on.

You can criticize the maintenance hours in a less demanding way (i.e "Why is the maintenance being performed at European players' primetime?" instead of "If I won't get refunded for losing a day of play I will contact my lawyers).

Now that we've cleared the issue and are on friendly terms, I think it's time for you to go back in the kitchen.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

don't worry, tomorrow we wake up and we find a huge green acres with all naked bald characters that run around :D
The new classic shard!!!!!!!!!!!

T

Tazar

A lot of it is on the backend but one of the major things we are updating will be making sure account age correct for the respective player (important to vets) ...also login server stability.

Most of this update is about stability and ability to verify and respond to any issues players have. On an old DB it's very difficult to get support if you're not certain if it's the DB or the information from the player.

Recovery time will also be better for server startup. (From our side).

In short we're eliminating hurdles to service of the game.

Hopefully this answers your question.

As Hawkeye brought up this is really a big deal for us ... let's everyone know we are still doing all we can for the longevity of the game.

- c
Just curious... why can I now log into the shard selection screen (I see TC1) with the Classic Client - but not with the Enhanced Client?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just curious... why can I now log into the shard selection screen (I see TC1) with the Classic Client - but not with the Enhanced Client?
It's a conspiracy.... and I can't log in on the EC either... and I refuse to log in on the CC... ...and what time is it anyway UTC? ...I bet they can connect with the EC from the PRC!

S

Sergul'zan_SP

I'm not very computer savvy so can someone explain to me what exactly they are doing and do you think they will finally put in the anti cheat code ?
While it probably doesn't, database conversions and updates could very well facilitate anti-cheat code. They could add several things to the database format to help them store more information as well as writing queries that will collect more information than past ones have.

Everyone: UO is now based on Excel spreadsheets!!

B

Beer_Cayse

whut he sez <points at Hawkeye> ... and from one who is on the VOIP upgrade project we put in this weekend at work, good luck!