• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[BUG] Severe Video Corruption While a Ghost

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This one's a doozy. I died shortly after I logged in as a ghost. This was on Catskills, and had serious problems with video corruption when I was in ghost forum. This is just an example of what I saw:

It manifested itself in number of ways, but all of them looked like my video card was dying. Although I'm inclined to think this isn't the case. I haven't had these problems in any other game and it did happen right after the client was patched. I've also checked my video card temp and it isn't overheating. I haven't tried updating my drivers, but I will be doing that.

Windows XP Home SP3
AMD Athlon II X2 240
4 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD2600 XT

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
relax, this is something that happens when they patch the EC, you have to wait until the custom UI modders patch their stuff, til then use 2d or default skin, which still has no object handles

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oooooo
Damn.
That used to happen to me running SA Black, whatever the Japanese skin was when it got patched.
Hope the devs check here soon.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
relax, this is something that happens when they patch the EC, you have to wait until the custom UI modders patch their stuff, til then use 2d or default skin, which still has no object handles
The problem in that screenshot definitely has absolutely nothing to do with Custom UIs. It's either a video card problem, or a problem with what the game is sending to the video card (or a combination of the two).

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The problem in that screenshot definitely has absolutely nothing to do with Custom UIs. It's either a video card problem, or a problem with what the game is sending to the video card (or a combination of the two).
Well, one of my first thoughts was a video driver problem. I've updated to the latest drivers and we'll see if that fixes the problem. I don't think my video card is going, it would be a pretty large coincidence that I have only seen this problem in the EC and it started immediately after a patch.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only a question what happend to the object handles are they disabled?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Object handles are Broken™, Axel knows about it and has posted that they are working on it.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Here's another fine example of what happens:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I KIND of get that on death (the second one)... mainly in that it changes to a widescreen perspective for just a second, THEN reverts back to the standard view in greyscale. Nothing to the level shown in the pics though.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well it was switching between three corrupted views. I've posted two of them, if I get the third one I'll post that. It is a view where the screen is rotated 90° and distorted. It's great fun finding a healer using the radar to navigate... :)

But who knows, the other serious problems I was having with the EC were fixed with the last patch, maybe this one has been fixed as well.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
A new day, a new version of "Ghosts on LSD!" Remember the 60's and 70's, the way they really were!

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool effects i dont get this wonderfull LSD effects, how can i turn them on?

O

Old Man of UO

This past week I got the exact same thing as you have in your first post in this thread. I tried refreshing the screen, logging in and out, and it didn't go away until I got resurrected.

Makes it kind of tough to find a healer. :mf_prop:

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crazy, it sometimes happend that iam in the death effect and alive if i ressurect too fast but this strange effect.

It might be is the viewport not on the topleft corner of your screen? Or the graphics card, iam using an ATI card, maybe you both a Nvidia card?

It looks like the effect is not anchored correcty like the lightning effect or arrows.

O

Old Man of UO

... It might be is the viewport not on the topleft corner of your screen? Or the graphics card, iam using an ATI card, maybe you both a Nvidia card? ...
I have an ATI 4850 video card. It's only happened once, but it took me by surprise.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks for the specs posted. If others are having the same issue, post away.
I should say I've since switched to Windows 7 64 Pro and I'm still seeing the corruption, although it isn't all the time now. I can send you my dxdiag.txt if that would help. I might even have a copy of my old one from before my upgrade, although probably not...

edit: Actually I think I do, and I can send that to you if you like as well.

BTeng_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you play at different resolutions when you switched to Windows 7? What's the resolution you're playing at when you encounter the issue?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Did you play at different resolutions when you switched to Windows 7? What's the resolution you're playing at when you encounter the issue?
The same resolution - 1440x900. I also play in full screen mode. I didn't have this problem until just before I posted this thread, so that would be pub 66. Right now I'm having this problem with Catalyst 10.5 drivers, and on Windows XP it was with 10.4 and 10.2, but I didn't change my driver immediately before the problems started, I had been running 10.2 for some time.

I also use ATI Tray Tools, but I don't believe I had updated that, or changed any settings immediately before I started having the problems. The problems started with pub 66 for me, although it seems others have had it before pub 66, and I had also been playing at 1440x900 since I upgraded my monitor sometime last year.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've never ever seen any of that and I've died numerous times. Running Windows 7 64 bit.... at 1920X1080... (which is recommended by my (tv/monitior).

O

Old Man of UO

Win 7x64 Home Premium, 8MB RAM using 1024 Disk Cache
AMD Quad 9950BE
ASUS - ATI 4850 video with 1 MB, 60 FPS setting at 1680x1050
Particle Details High, V-Sync Enabled, Idle Animation Low
Running Windowed
Stone Enhanced UI Mod

and um... Hanes jockey

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also havent got this. I use Windows 7 x64 ATI Catalyst 10.2 Drivers 1680*1050 windowed mode.

D

Diggity

I've continued to see this corruption only as a ghost off/on since that patch. Sometimes it comes and goes as I'm running thru different areas to get a rez. It does seem to happen a lot in the area around the ilsh humility spawn area - where I happen to die a lot ;). But it doesn't always happen and usually clears up as I move further from the alter. Then when I get close to the rez ankh, it reappears.

I also have a dead char on the spellweave circle at brit bank where this shows up. If I move away from the circle, the screen normalizes. Although it does reappear near the guard tower to the sw of the circle.

My main puter has an NVDIA 9600GT.

I logged this char on my laptop that uses an Nvidia GTX260M - same corruption.

But on my netbook that uses an onboard GMA 500 graphics chipset, there is no corruption.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This one's a doozy. I died shortly after I logged in as a ghost. This was on Catskills, and had serious problems with video corruption when I was in ghost forum. This is just an example of what I saw:

It manifested itself in number of ways, but all of them looked like my video card was dying. Although I'm inclined to think this isn't the case. I haven't had these problems in any other game and it did happen right after the client was patched. I've also checked my video card temp and it isn't overheating. I haven't tried updating my drivers, but I will be doing that.

Windows XP Home SP3
AMD Athlon II X2 240
4 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD2600 XT
exactly, if gpu core was going, tearing would happen on icons as well, not just the background.

J

[JD]

Ive had the same issue ever since a recent patch (Either 66 or 65), started IMMEDIATELY after.

Makes finding a healer ultra-"fun"...

I'm running Windowed mode, 1920x1080 as that is recommended for my 42" Vizio LCD TV.

Intel Core 2 CPU E7400 @ 2.8ghz
4gb RAM (windows reports 3.12gb, not sure why)
On-board GeForce 7100 video adapter (slow, but at least it previously worked to this patch)
Copper_Enhanced mod

Help!

http://i50.***********/308fpja.jpg

M

mr crabs

yep started right after last patch emm 66 i think. get it on death and have now seen all 3 and blips in and out from normal death screen to the lsd problem to black screen

vista ultimate sp1
4 gig ram
intel pentium duel core 3.4GHZ 3.4GHZ
asus p5ql mobo
nividia gtx260 with latest drivers

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive had the same issue ever since a recent patch (Either 66 or 65), started IMMEDIATELY after.

Makes finding a healer ultra-"fun"...

I'm running Windowed mode, 1920x1080 as that is recommended for my 42" Vizio LCD TV.

Intel Core 2 CPU E7400 @ 2.8ghz
4gb RAM (windows reports 3.12gb, not sure why)
On-board GeForce 7100 video adapter (slow, but at least it previously worked to this patch)
Copper_Enhanced mod

Help!

http://i50.***********/308fpja.jpg
Is it maybe a problem because you have the viewport not at the upper left corner?

A

anvira

Yeppers,mine is doing this same thing, glad to know its not my computer frying itself up