• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

LotRO is going free to play

S

Seleene

When DDO went F2P I was wondering how long it would take for LOTRO to do the same.

What I would like to know is as a premium player (I'm no longer going to pay for a sub) what content am I going to be required to purchase with turbine points? Am I going to get to a certain level and be stuck?

I haven't seen a whole lot of in depth discussion on that part of going to F2P as of yet. I'm hoping to be selected for the beta and maybe will be able to answer my own questions.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what I have seen with DDO, I have played DDO off and on since before and after the F2P changes there, it was implemented in a very good way. A way that is similar to other F2P games yet very different in that it is not an imbalance and free players are able to have a blast as well as the paying players. I actually enjoyed DDO much (and I emphasize much) more than I did prior to it becoming Free to Play. Turbine knows what they are doing and, in my opinion, are one of the few gaming companies left that honestly care about their game and its communities equally, so I am confidant that this change will be not only good for LotRO but implemented in a good way, similar to what was done with DDO.

With DDO, subscribers (VIPs) get access to all new content automatically. Free Players had to spend Turbine Points to unlock more areas and quests as well as unlock more character slots and the like.

I am sure much of the LotRO Store will be similar in aspect to DDOs, yet different in its own right since there are many differences between LotRO and DDO.

Here's a overview of what DDO's Store has to offer:
http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/DDO_Store_Guide

Trageon

Adventurer
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok, so what can we buy with these LotRo points that the V.I.P.s dont already get?

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's a comparison chart showing what each of the 3 account types will have access to: http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

From the chart, some of the "account" things VIPs can buy will be things like:

• Premium Classes
  • Character Slots
  • Wardrobe Slots
As for the "in-game" store, we can only speculate what exactly will be in there until we're able to get a look at the new F2P model, which will be soon. :)

I am assuming that it will be mostly Cosmetic Items and things like Potions and Hope tokens. Maybe even extend to being able to buy festival tokens, who knows!? I'm a tad excited to see what is in "store" --- pun intended. :thumbup1:

S

Seleene

From what I have seen with DDO, I have played DDO off and on since before and after the F2P changes there, it was implemented in a very good way. A way that is similar to other F2P games yet very different in that it is not an imbalance and free players are able to have a blast as well as the paying players. I actually enjoyed DDO much (and I emphasize much) more than I did prior to it becoming Free to Play. Turbine knows what they are doing and, in my opinion, are one of the few gaming companies left that honestly care about their game and its communities equally, so I am confidant that this change will be not only good for LotRO but implemented in a good way, similar to what was done with DDO.

With DDO, subscribers (VIPs) get access to all new content automatically. Free Players had to spend Turbine Points to unlock more areas and quests as well as unlock more character slots and the like.

I am sure much of the LotRO Store will be similar in aspect to DDOs, yet different in its own right since there are many differences between LotRO and DDO.

Here's a overview of what DDO's Store has to offer:
http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/DDO_Store_Guide
I'm actually happy that they are going to a F2P model as I don't have the money to keep paying monthly fees. So it going to this F2P model I don't have to spend money to play.

With that said, I guess I don't want to get stuck having to wait for content while I grind the same old content to gain Turbine points to purchase content that I need to move forward.

The above is all speculation on my part. I could never get into DDO. Even once it went to F2P.

Right now I'm not playing many games at all. I put a knife through my hand on Memorial day cooking breakfast for the MRs. and I. The knife went right through my palm, cutting through muscle and they think a tendon as my middle finger is paralyzed in the up position and may not move again.

I have been trying to play woW like this, thinking that it's an easy enough game , but it's been challenging... lol!

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So after hearing many podcasts analyzing the F2P, I now have a much better understanding. This is the future. Everyone will be fighting to be your F2P game.... Meanwhile Turbine will beat everyone to the punch and not with some "B" rated titles.
People will rush in to try Turbine's games out and fall in love. Some will decide to pay, some will not. Turbine doesn't seem like the greedy Corporation that will nickle and dime you either (even if you're a F2P person).

I feel this will not have any negative impact to me. It can only help. I can decide if I want to "pay" for the next expansion in cash, Turbine points, or not. I love having options.