• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Making Elemential Damage Weapons

niceguyteddy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm working on some 100% elemental damage weapons and it seemed using bronze ingots helped with getting higher fire damage. Does anyone know the order elemental damaged is assigned. I want to see if I can use ingots to help determine the outcome.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using a particular type of metal doesn't apparently affect the outcome. You can enhance weapons that are not 100% to get them to 100% if they are close enough that the metal bonus makes up the difference (no good for 100% poison damage weapons). 100% poison needs to be made with a runic or looted. For fire weapons you can use bronze to enhance anything that is 60% fire or better as long as the remaining damage is all physical.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, what happens is that the runic elemental spread is applied, then the metal's spread to any remaining physical. If not, then all or part of the metal bonus isn't applied.

So, it's possible, using Bronze, to get a 100% cold, poison or energy weapon, regardless of the order that would apply.

At least it doesn't count as a property for imbuing anymore...

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By that then I guess if you only want fire then making all the weapons out of bronze would be ideal since enhancing will break a bunch of them.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yep, but because of way the property system works, you can get some really odd combinations that don't reflect their metal type.

S

Stupid Miner

By that then I guess if you only want fire then making all the weapons out of bronze would be ideal since enhancing will break a bunch of them.
Weapons break rarely. Except when enhancing with Gold.
Or if for some weird reason you have Resists on your weapon.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Kallie - what metal are you enhancing with?

Because of the other property that Shadow Iron imparts, enhancing with that metal is many more likely to break than using agapite to get cold (the fact that there are two elemental checks for Agapite is far outweighed by the durability boost of shadow's breaking chance).

Similarly, Valorite's additional property, AND having 3 separate elemental damage types, causes a much higher fail rate.

Bronze is probably the safest damage-change enhance, despite it being a 40% change, as it's only one property check.

This would be followed by Copper, then Agapite, then Verite.
Valorite and Shadow are the most likely to break.
DC & Gold are probably about the same difficulty as Valorite, if the item doesn't have luck on it. Of course, they don't give elemental damage.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This explains alot. Just tried enhanceing a 50% poison axe with Verite & it didnt change any properties. Didn`t have any physical damge ><

S

Stupid Miner

This explains alot. Just tried enhanceing a 50% poison axe with Verite & it didnt change any properties. Didn`t have any physical damge ><
Put it in the bank, and take it out again. Takes a while to update and for some reason banking it forces it to update.

dlwiii

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I make a bronze weapon with 40% fire damage, and then enhance it again to get 80% fire? Or does fire have to be > 50% to begin with?

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I make a bronze weapon with 40% fire damage, and then enhance it again to get 80% fire? Or does fire have to be > 50% to begin with?
Bronze adds on 40% fire so if you take a weapon with 100% physical and enhance with bronze you get a 40% fire damage weapon. So if it's allready 40% fire it will be 80%. If it's 50% fire it will be 90% if its 60% or more then it will be 100% fire. However you can only enhance once.

dlwiii

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got it. I tried this, and see that you can only enhance an item once.

So either you get lucky with a runic hammer and get an elemental split, or you find a weapon with elemental damage.

Then you get that one and only one chance to enhance with bronze, right?

So my dreams of an armory of elemental weapons must remain a dream.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got it. I tried this, and see that you can only enhance an item once.

So either you get lucky with a runic hammer and get an elemental split, or you find a weapon with elemental damage.

Then you get that one and only one chance to enhance with bronze, right?

You can have a bunch of 100% elemental damage weapons. It just takes time and a bunch of runic hammers. I am not sure of the exact amount but I probably have about 40 or so weapons with 100% elemental damage. Not that I use them much. I just like to look at them. Besides making them you can loot them or enhance stuff you loot to get 100% elemental damage. At least now if I make one I can imbue it to be a slayer that the elemental damage targets the lowest resist of the monster it slays (if I want to anyway) or add some other mods to it to make it useful.

dlwiii

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ja. I will keep my eye out for colored loot now. I used up 2 dull copper runics, and the rate of changing elemental damage was low. and on top of that when I did get a good split, I got random, useless modifications along with it.

But yes, a demon slayer with fire damage for ice fiends would be great!

D

Death Adder

I have an armory of 100% poison bows, which are a lot harder to come by than hammer-crafted weapons. So hang in there and keep trying, you'll get them eventually.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ja. I will keep my eye out for colored loot now. I used up 2 dull copper runics, and the rate of changing elemental damage was low. and on top of that when I did get a good split, I got random, useless modifications along with it.

But yes, a demon slayer with fire damage for ice fiends would be great!
I think it is about 1 for 5 dc hammers or somewheres there about for potential 100% elemental damage weapons. If you make friends with the right crafter they may let you have all their dc runic bods since they don't intend to make them (the larges at least). Just keep slamming away. I haven't figured it out yet but you can get 100% intensity properties with dc hammers so save those and add mods to make them better. You might even be able to purchase dc hammers somewhere but I haven't been shopping in a while and haven't seen any the last time I went shopping.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There used to be a guy, pre-SE, that had EVERY weapon in the game, in ALL 4 100% colors, locked down in their museum on Lake Austin. This was especially hard for getting the tinker-style weapons, which (STILL!) have no runics, and weren't even enhanceable until about a year into AoS.