• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know how you can remember so well, since you were a little kid then.

Sorry but I am not taking a 13-14 year old's opinion seriously.

What was rampant to your young mind wasn't rampant to others.
Hilarious - one of your largest advocates for days gone by can't remember if he was 7 or 9... and played a few times on his brothers' account... Yet UO provided him with some of his most vivid memories...

Yet we are told he is just as much a part of the community, and he is to be taken just as seriously...

PKB? Nah - blatant hypocrisy.

I was 33 when UO came out - and at least on LS, the situation was, if not rampant, very much over the top.

It's garbage like that that makes some of us start to hope that the classic shard either doesn't happen, or, even better, it does, and the attitudes that are being objected to prove people right, and it fails....

T

Trebr Drab

And so, Ill give old UO, the true old UO, its last send off and farewells.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rzj3FEuZzg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rzj3FEuZzg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

"And so the lands of virtue were cast into shadow,
Her beauty corrupted and her king long since gone

Her champions lay down their arms and surrender to time,
her villans swept away into the night and long since forgotten

Sweet Britannia, thy time hath come and past,
To live only in the minds of those who remember

Parting with a friend so old and dear,
It is a pain too deep to tell

May one day her majesty be reborn,
And the children of Britannia shall return home"
I am moved by this. It hits home. But I still want fixes to rampant PKing, because that was killing UO just as surely as the current lifeless version is.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I think the biggest phalacy that's being promulgated here is that PK'ng was rampant.
I think the biggest phalacy that is being promulgated here is that PKs were few and far between, and that they generally didn't bother anyone.

If they didn't kill blues...how did they end up as reds?

Perhaps you played on one of the expansion servers, but Atlantic, Great Lakes, Lake Superior...all had rampant PKing.

Thing is, I don't mind the PKs personally. I spent years playing an Anti-PK during that time...once they were gone, the game got really boring for me.

I still recognize that an environment like we had in T2A would be populated only by PvPers today. Back in 98, you had lots of blues that were just trying to play the game. The reds hunted those people actively on Atlantic at least. But once EQ came along, those blues started leaving UO to do something that didn't involve constantly dying to PKs and and losing stuff to thieves.

But if give a choice between a pure T2A Classic Shard, and no Classic Shard at all...I would take the T2A shard. I just wouldn't expect it to make it more than about 6 months.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I don't know how you can remember so well, since you were a little kid then.

Sorry but I am not taking a 13-14 year old's opinion seriously.

What was rampant to your young mind wasn't rampant to others.
2 things here...

1 - After going back and looking at some of my previous posts, I realized that there was a typo in one of them. I was 15 in 1997, not 13. When I met Richard Garriott, I had just turned 18 and was working for a game retailer Granted, in Sept 1997, I was a pimply faced teenaged girl that was playing video games instead of going out, but I think we all share similar back grounds here...we are all arguing about an MMO on a message board. (God I need to start dating again rolleyes:)

2 - It's only been 13 years ago. I am 28 years old, so my memory hasn't start to go just yet! I remember lots of things that happened 13 years ago. I remember getting my driver's license, I remember my first time...um...well, you know. I remember trips I took, and friends I had. I even remember sweaters I bought and when I bought them! So I don't really see how you can discount my opinions based on my age or question my memory.

So if you were so much older back then Heartseeker, that makes you what...50? 60? I think maybe your memory may be going! :D

(mods, I am just picking at Heartseeker here. He and I are online friends, so this is not flamming or anything...plus Heartseeker is a big boy, he can take it!! And he knows how old I am, or I thought he did, so I don't know why he is concentrating so hard on that typo.)

G

Gowron

I think the biggest phalacy that is being promulgated here is that PKs were few and far between, and that they generally didn't bother anyone.

If they didn't kill blues...how did they end up as reds?

Perhaps you played on one of the expansion servers, but Atlantic, Great Lakes, Lake Superior...all had rampant PKing.

Thing is, I don't mind the PKs personally. I spent years playing an Anti-PK during that time...once they were gone, the game got really boring for me.
Morgana, point well made. As I have steadily played on Chessy throughout my time, that has been my only view of the game. I keep forgetting that each shard is unique in certain regards and that some had different levels of PK than others.

Having said that, I still believe that they weren't nearly as rampant then as they are now. At least there were dire consequences back then to going "Red". Now, there are no consequences. In fact, in a way it's encouraged. With the removal of stat loss, bounties, and insta-guard whack for going into town, all there is now is the murder count. If I had a "Red" char, well that murder count number would certainly be a badge of honor.

Thus, in a Classic Shard, the PK problem would still exist at some kind of level, but with dire consequences and well thought out and strategized playstyles it can still be managed.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PKers slow between the ears...... and you have the guts to get all high and mighty when players like you are called carebears and trammies.....huh......
At least I maintained until post 396 until I started calling people names. More than the Other Side can say.

I shouldn't have done it but ah well. Venting in that post did me a world of good. :)

G

georgemarvin2001

@Morgana: You need to just admit that you ENJOYED hunting reds before stat loss was removed. You have said that your guild made a sport of chasing reds. That was probably your guild's primary reason for existing. As for me, I belonged to a guild, but it was mostly PvM and consensual PvP. As for the group of us who hunted reds, we never really had a guild, but McCheese, Topher, McDaddy, Viper, me, and a half-dozen others had sort of a semi-permanent militia; when somebody spotted a red anywhere around Minoc, McCheese would send us all an ICQ, and we would all drop what we were doing and recall in. We would just have 2 minutes after the PK killed a miner to chase him down and kill him before he could recall out. It was actually a great part of the fun of the game.

Please just admit that, until stat loss was removed, the PKs actually served several useful purposes:
1. They gave us blue veterans something to do. The reds back then were always truly great players. They had to be; they couldn't afford to die. They had battle skills that they had honed to perfection. They could time that explosion/para/explosion pot/e-bolt combo to the split second.
2. They added an element of danger to the game.
3. Turning red was something that only the very best players did after they had conquered everything there was to fight, and done everything else there was to do. If you were a red Dread Lord, it meant that you had managed to avoid town militias, anti-PK guilds, and any group of random blues who saw you and attacked. Players didn't turn red on a whim back then; when they died, it wasn't quite perma-death, but it was close. One guy had over 300 kills and over a million gold bounty on his head; when he died, he would have had to spend 100 days logged in 24/7, just wandering around as a ghost, to have avoided stat loss.
4. PKing wasn't all that rampant until after they removed all of the penalties. I was there. Except for a very few PK'er hotspots, like brit x-roads, most of Brittania was usually pretty safe, until they removed stat loss.
5. Yes, Brit x-roads was THE PvP hotspot, for a very good reason. You seem to have forgotten why the Brit X-roads was where all the PKs hung out, their very favorite place in all of Brittania. Brit X-roads was also THE place to shop for high-end stuff back then, all the way from day 1 till UO:R. It was the Luna of the pre-UO:R world, THE place to shop for that invul armor or silver vanq katana. There was a REALLY good reason why the PKs would hide around there to ambush shoppers. Instant wealth. There were shops everywhere, with all the best stuff in the game. And PKs wouldn't just attack somebody at random; they weren't going to take a murder count, which meant 8 hours of play time in which they wouldn't be able to rez, for just a potion keg or GM weapon. They would stay hidden, like a cat waiting on the perfect prey, and attack somebody who had just bought a suit of armor of invulnerability or a silver vanq weapon. I did a lot of shopping there; I wouldn't buy anything really expensive unless there were several other blues around, then hit the recall button the second after I bought it. If I wanted something else, I would recall back and rinse and repeat. I never once got PK'ed there in all of the hundreds of shopping trips I made at Brit x-roads. The people who got ganked there were generally the people who deserved it; they were beyond careless.

I did feel sorry for one guy who did get ganked; he had just bought a full suit of invul and a couple of vanq katanas, one of which was silver. He had bought the gold he used with real life money, too. And he didn't recall out to bank his stuff. He just stood there and kept shopping. 4 or 5 reds came out of hiding and hit him at once, a coordinated insta-kill attack. He lost maybe a million gold pieces' worth of equipment before he even got to wear it, when gold was still worth $100 per million. But, to be honest, you couldn't really blame the PKs for that one; I had the unworthy thought of taking a murder count for all that great stuff, if they hadn't done it. And I'm sure a couple of other shoppers had the same idea. Truthfully, if he was that careless when he bought it, he wasn't likely to have kept it for long anyway.

I do NOT think it's a good idea to put all the high-end vendors into a new Luna, which is exactly what you and Tanivar would be doing if you added a Brit x-roads guard zone. From day 1 till UO:R, Brit x-roads had been one of the biggest shopping centers on Atlantic. 99.9% of the players back then knew that it wasn't a good idea to stand around begging to get ganked after they had bought a bunch of big-ticket items.

I know that your guild had a lot of fun chasing reds away from the Brit x-roads, and as soon as you chased them away, they came right back. Even if you put some of them into stat loss, there was always a new red who couldn't resist the temptation of instant wealth. But that was part of the game. If you didn't want to take the chance of getting PK'ed, you were either careful when you bought the big-ticket items there, or you did your shopping somewhere safer, where you were much less likely to find the very best stuff in the game, but you were also a lot less likely to get PK'ed when you did find that uber item.

I was actually surprised that there weren't even more PKs hanging around there than there actually were. Imagine if you took Luna today and dropped in the middle of Felucca. But it wasn't the problem that you make it out to be. People who shopped there knew the risks. There was a reason why there were usually several people there shopping, despite the risks. There was a reason why several anti-PK guilds made regular patrols of the area. It wasn't a problem, it wasn't a design flaw. Nothing needs fixing. The shopping center was part of the way the map was originally designed. It was SUPPOSED to be the place where thieves, pickpockets, and yes, even PKs would lay in wait for unsuspecting shoppers.

After stat loss was removed, the shops stayed open, but the reds came out of hiding and killed everybody in sight. Where before, you only had to worry if you were buying a really high-end item, after the PKing penalties were gone, even the people just picking up a few ingots or a potion keg weren't safe. And the PKs got their retribution on the guilds that had hunted them. Instead of watching out for ambushes, they could now do the ambushing, and slaughter the anti-PK guilds without fear of stat loss if they died. After stat loss was removed, Brit X-roads looked more like a post-apocalyptic wasteland, with the bodies of both blues and reds strewn everywhere, than the mecca of the classic UO world that it had been.

I'll say it again. BEFORE THE PENALTIES WERE REMOVED, PKs weren't the big problem that you insist that they were. They were actually a useful part of the game, a vital part of the PvP element of UO. They added a sense of danger and adventure to the whole game. They only became an unbearable nuisance, a real pain in the backside, caused untold amounts of misery and grief, committed mass murder, made people shudder at the very thought of resource gathering, and pretty much frustrated the majority of the population to the point of distraction and pleas to do something about them, after the devs decided to remove all of the severe penalties that had kept them at bay.

UO was still gaining subscriptions when UO:R was introduced, but people were getting fed up with all of the rampant PK'ing. I know that it did become a real problem, but the problem was created by the devs. You were actually enjoying the chase, just like all of us in McCheese's informal Minoc Militia were. Until they removed stat loss and the reds first started fighting back, then they pretty much took over and they began hunting US.

We don't need 1,000 new anti-PK rules and a guard zone for the pre-tram world's version of Luna. The fact is that the early T2A rules were sufficient. PK'ing wasn't a real problem for most of us before they removed the penalties. In fact, if you would just look back and admit it to yourself, your time in your guild chasing PKs was probably some of the best fun you had in the entire T2A world.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Rather than trying to disect a post that long, I will speak to it's spirit.

I have never said that PKs (reds) didn't add something to the game. Very much the opposite in fact. I have said since before UO:R that PKs and the ability to exact player justice on someone was vital to making UO a more realistic world. I despise the mere thought that in Tram ruleset areas that attacking another player is simply impossible. It makes no sense whatsoever, and they never even bothered to incorporate any official fiction to explain it that I saw.

Of course the crossroads were a hotspot. That was pretty much the 'Yew Gate' of days gone by. My guild did occassionally get involved there, but really, the crossroads were more of a consentual PvP area in my mind. If you went there, you knew you were going to be involved in PvP.

All of the shards were different. Some of my guildmates left Atlantic for a while and played Chessie. They all said that PKing there was nothing compared to what it was on Atlantic. Even LS was not as bad as Atlantic. I had several people leave Atlantic and never come back because they were just sick of the PKs. I had probably just as many who left, got bored, and came back.

With that said, anyone discussing a Classic Shard has to understand that if there was just ONE shard that was a Classic Fel onlt ruleset, that it would be THE shard for people that wanted to be PKs. So imagine that if Atlantic was the PK shard of choice back then, that this new server would draw people like that from all of the old shards. Still think reds will be few and sparse and non-aggressive?

I could write hundreds of pages (and have if you visit the Atlantic forum) around just the first 3 or 4 years of the game. I was young, as was stated above, and so I was able to play a lot...and I did! I would say that back then I put at least 6-8 hours per day into UO 7 days a week! My parents had to threaten to pull the plug on the internet connection to make me do things other than play UO ... and that included going to sleep!! :)

I knew good reds, I knew bad reds. Most of the good reds were actually pretty cool people in real life, and were playing their red because they enjoyed playing on the side of evil. Most of the bad reds were playing reds because they were simply out to try and ruin the game for other people. If you don't think that is the case, then you never met some of the people I am talking about.

PKing did go down some after they introduced stat loss, but it wasn't like it just disappeared. I would say that there was probably a 20-25% reduction in random PKing, but a huge increase in ganksquads. Most reds back in the early days operated alone or in small packs (2-3). Groups like TB and Dr Deth's gang, as well as Vader's group were all people that enjoyed the game, enjoyed playing an evil character, and were not griefers. I met some of them in real life after the fact, and at least a couple of people that were reds back then are still very close friends to me in real life, even though they play WoW now.

It's not that I am against PKs. I never have been. They made the game far more interesting for me and my guild.

My guild came to be out of necessity. A friend and I started on day 1 (Mr Clean) and we joint the Regulators (TR). We didn't like that guild, and they slowly started turning PK, so we quit and formed PoV with about 5 other people. If old records are correct, we had over 200 members at one time, and our purpose was multi-faceted. We helped new players to get established. We hunted reds actively. We responded to help requests from players that had been PKed. We ran community events. We had several crafters that would give away goods to players that needed help. We were generally what you would call a "good" guild. Whereas AoD was what you would generally call an "evil" guild. We clashed with AoD all the time...and eventually we even had some former AoD members in PoV...we still do today in fact.

My desire to see a Classic Shard has little to do with my own playstyle. Sure, I would love to go back to being a guild that protected the innocent, but I don't believe we will ever see an environment like the one that existed back then. Too many people now would just give up on an open PvP shard rather than ask for, or look for, help from a guild like mine. An open, unfettered, PvP environment now would be more akin to what Fel is now.

Also, the disincentive for being red today is that you are pretty much stuck in Fel...or a small part of the Abyss. Most people that have red characters also have blues, so they don't care at all. It makes no sense for UO now to have disincentives for PKing...they put in a PvP switch with Trammel...so if you are someone that doesn't want to get involved in PvP...stay out of Fel.

S

Sadrith Mora

georgemarvin:

@Morgana: PK'ers were around, but they weren't really a problem in the beginning. It was shortly before UO:R was introduced that they became the huge problem you're talking about. But you can't really blame the PKs. The Devs at the time made them a problem intentionally. If you remember, the Devs made these changes a few months before UO:R, which helped sway sentiment towards allowing a PvM only facet:
1. Removed permanent stat loss. When there was permanent stat loss, reds had to really watch out; if they died, they would have to stay logged into the game for days on end as a ghost, or bite the bullet, take the loss then work hard to regain the skills that they had lost. If I remember correctly, permanent stat loss was 20%, a hefty penalty. Even if they did wait it out, that meant that they couldn't PvP again for a long time. If they had 10 counts, it would be 48 hours of game time before they could rez as a blue, and they would have to move every 10 minutes during that time or be logged out; that was before all of the programs that would move for them, so they had to actually at least be semi-attended standing around as a ghost. That system made sure that even most PKs made sure that their counts didn't get out of reason. Nobody wanted to sit around doing nothing for a week.
2. Removed the bounty system
3. Allowed reds into towns
4. Gave all reds a reprieve, implying that there would be more reprieves in the future
5. Changed the system so that all of their newbied items didn't drop to their corpse
6. Added the priests to rez reds
7. Made skill gains much harder, meaning that new players were automatic victims

After the Devs made all of those changes, their runebooks and newbied stuff wouldn't drop to their corpse anymore, without stat loss, there was no penalty for dying while red, and there were healers that would heal them, so they could PK to their heart's content without repercussions.

The fact is that the changes made by the Devs prior to the release of UO:R created the problem by removing every single obstacle and penalty for reds, which they "fixed" by adding Trammel but not allowing reds into it, in order to make UO more kid-friendly, hoping to increase subscriptions in the new demographic. Unfortunately, the kids demographic that they were courting still flocked to EQ, not UO.
This didn't happen until around the pub16 or AoS period, so there was no forcing anyone to trammel since they already made that choice with UO:R

Your argument is simply wrong.

G

georgemarvin2001

@ Morgana: Let's forget about other players for a minute and get down to the basic question:
Would YOU play on a felucca-only, pre-AOS ruleset classic shard, with pretty much everything like it was during the T2A thru UO:R period, including manual house refresh and faster skill gains, the standard 5 to 7 character slots, no transfers from production shards, and the classical PK penalties: stat loss, reds can't enter towns except bucs, and the bounty hunting system, but none of your and Tanivar's new anti-PK rules at the start?

I propose a truce: For the time being, let's just assume that neither of us know whether you're right and the classic shard won't attract thousands of new and returning players, while every PK on the production shards would decide that the classic UO shard was going to be their new home, or whether I'm right and a sizable number of the half-million free shard players out there, who are overwhelmingly blue, and nearly all of them are playing on Felucca-only pre-AOS rulesets right now, will come back to the official OSI game, which will mean that the classic shard will be at about the 90% blue, 10% red ratio that was the norm throughout most of the T2A period.

If PKing did become rampant like you suspect it would, some new anti-PK rules could always be set up later. If the devs did have to do something as an added anti-PK measure later, I do like the idea of patrolling guards, with something like the HP, skill levels and AI of an Ancient Wyrm, with pack instincts, patrolling in groups of 3 and attacking reds and thieves on sight. Different guards for each town. It would be a little inconvenient, but even the youngest player could travel on all of the roads throughout the lands in complete safety if he just stayed close to the guards. That would be true to the original vision of the game.

But for the time being, let's concentrate more on getting a consensus to get the shard started, rather than fighting about adding something new, until we see whether it will even be necessary. I believe that new players will come to see UO in its former glory, and a flock of old players will return, so there will be a myriad swarm of blue players on the classic shard, and draconian new anti-PK measures won't be necessary.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

@ Morgana: Let's forget about other players for a minute and get down to the basic question:
Would YOU play on a felucca-only, pre-AOS ruleset classic shard, with pretty much everything like it was during the T2A thru UO:R period, including manual house refresh and faster skill gains, the standard 5 to 7 character slots, no transfers from production shards, and the classical PK penalties: stat loss, reds can't enter towns except bucs, and the bounty hunting system, but none of your and Tanivar's new anti-PK rules at the start?
Yep. I would sign in as soon as the shard came up, and would probably never play Atlantic or any other post-AoS shard again.

If PKing did become rampant like you suspect it would, some new anti-PK rules could always be set up later. If the devs did have to do something as an added anti-PK measure later, I do like the idea of patrolling guards, with something like the HP, skill levels and AI of an Ancient Wyrm, with pack instincts, patrolling in groups of 3 and attacking reds and thieves on sight. Different guards for each town. It would be a little inconvenient, but even the youngest player could travel on all of the roads throughout the lands in complete safety if he just stayed close to the guards. That would be true to the original vision of the game.

But for the time being, let's concentrate more on getting a consensus to get the shard started, rather than fighting about adding something new, until we see whether it will even be necessary. I believe that new players will come to see UO in its former glory, and a flock of old players will return, so there will be a myriad swarm of blue players on the classic shard, and draconian new anti-PK measures won't be necessary.
You must have been pretty much skimming my posts, or you had some trouble understanding what I wrote. Probably my fault, as I have a tendency to get long winded and ramble...

...but this is all I have said all along.

The only 'draconian' new anti-PK measures I have called for are just ideas inc case the scenario you have described here fails.

Repeating:

- I want a Classic Shard that is Fel ruleset.
- I would prefer it to be original land mass only in the begining and have T2A come later after the shard was established.
- I would want there to be checks put on PKing. I would start with the exact same checks that the Devs have at one point or another had in the game.
- If those didn't work, then I would want them to add more checks until balance was achieved. If balance was achieved (meaning players are not abandoning the shard en mass) then there is no need for harsher anti-PK rules. Wherever the stopping point on limitations needs to be is where they would end.
- I only suggested things like prison or perma-death as last resort options in case NOTHING ELSE worked. To determine if anything else would work, the methods would need to be tried first.

I think we are a lot closer on this issue than you think. I am not advocating for any kind of pvp switch, world split, Tram, safe zones, artificial methods that prevent players from attacking one another, or anything of the kind...

...all I want to see is a shard that is sustainable...no matter what that takes without going down the road UO went down with UO:Ren...that road led us to Trammel and AoS. If we are just going to do that again, why bother?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I think the consensus here is:

Must haves
- Pre-AoS
- Fel Only
- T2A Era rules
- No Transfers
- No Pub 16 content (PS, etc)
- Some checks on PKs (stat loss, no town, etc)
- No neon colors
- No expansions beyond T2A (no Malas, no Luna, no Tokuno, etc.)
- Skills and spells work as originally designed, or at least as in T2A.
- Player Vendors (remember, these didn't exist for a while)

Would be nice but not deal breaking
* Bounty system added back in, but made so it is not exploitable.
* Wandering NPCS that attack reds.
* No custom housing...although this is not a deal breaker for anyone either way.
* Skill and stat locks
* House security and lock downs

Everyone good with that?? Remember, the shard wouldn't necessarily have to remain completely static. If PKs became problematic, then harsher penalties could be added. If certain content was needed, it could be added later...as long as it wasn't unbalancing or damaging to the game.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Must haves
- Pre-AoS
- Fel Only
- T2A Era rules
- No Transfers
- No neon colors

* No custom housing...although this is not a deal breaker for anyone either way.
* Skill and stat locks

Everyone good with that?? Remember, the shard wouldn't necessarily have to remain completely static. If PKs became problematic, then harsher penalties could be added. If certain content was needed, it could be added later...as long as it wasn't unbalancing or damaging to the game.
I can go with it with one variation. Have the Wandering NPCs be in game as of day one. Let the PKers have the same sense of being hunted as we blues will have.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Must haves
- Pre-AoS Definitely
- Fel Only Call it Brittania, Sosaria, whatever - Felucca, like Trammel, came after the split. And I'd personally prefer for the trees to be alive again
- T2A Era rules Covers your 2nd point
- No Transfers Works
- No Pub 16 content (PS, etc) Works
- No neon colors Doesn't matter either way
- No expansions beyond T2A (no Malas, no Luna, no Tokuno, etc.) With the option to add them, if and only if, the multiple thousands of people expected actually do come back... just the lands, not the baggage they brought.
- Skills and spells work as originally designed, or at least as in T2A. Does this mean back to the days of 8x8, or power hour? Also, does this mean no ninjitsu, chivalry, bushido, mysticism, imbuing (obviously - no longer needed)
- Player Vendors (remember, these didn't exist for a while) Works

* No custom housing...although this is not a deal breaker for anyone either way. Would almost rather see this, with the original tile sets only, and 18x18 as a max house size - nix the keeps, castles, etc. Housing space was at a premium back then - no sense in killing one of the things that makes UO unique/special for everyone
* Skill and stat locks
* House security and lock downs This would be my preference.

Overall, it looks good to me. There is only one addition that, to me, would be vital, even though it came in a later pub - control slots for tamers. This should be self explanatory :)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Overall, it looks good to me. There is only one addition that, to me, would be vital, even though it came in a later pub - control slots for tamers. This should be self explanatory :)
Yeah. As much as I miss commanding an army of dragons and White Wyrms...it was way overpowered in PvP...and PvM. So I would agree.

As to some of your other points:
- Yes, "Fel" would just be the world it was before the split. No dead trees, etc.
- I would have no issue with new lands being added later, if the demand was there, and the population was there.
- "Also, does this mean no ninjitsu, chivalry, bushido, mysticism, imbuing" - that is EXACTLY what it means.
- "nix the keeps, castles, etc. Housing space was at a premium back then - no sense in killing one of the things that makes UO unique/special for everyone" - Definitely nix the Keeps and the Castles. I'd also like to see 1 house per account on this shard too...and they should be much, much, much more expensive than they were back in the day. A house should be something to aspire to, not something that litters the country side IMO.

L

Llamfia

Must haves
- Pre-AoS
- Fel Only
- T2A Era rules
- No Transfers
- No neon colors

* Skill and stat locks

I am happy with everything in this post, GJ!:thumbup1::thumbup1:

waiting for mods and EA:popcorn:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Others besides Kaleb & Morgana suddenly sounding cooperative. Hopefully this spreads like a plaque through the Other Side.

Keep them focused Morgana. Good Luck to you all.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I think you will have a certain number of people on either side of the PK/Anti-PK (Tram/Fel) argument that feel very strongly about their points of view on this matter. It is a raw subject even now...10 years later.

A lot of old school PKers felt very betrayed by what EA did to the game. I was one of those people. A lot of blue players, non-PvPers, felt very vindicated by the split because of the abuse they had been putting up with from the reds.

It was a mistake splitting the world in the first place. I will always believe that, and I will always believe that other solutions should have at least been attempted first.

But you have a large number of people that left the game because it was no longer the game they loved, and you had a large number of people that stayed because they still loved the game. Today, I would wager that your average UO player scrolls right past this thread because they really couldn't care less about Classic anything. But there are some, a vocal few that are actively afraid, yes...afraid, of a Classic Shard. They are afraid that people will play UO the old way, and will enjoy it so much that they cease playing on the current shards. If this happens, EA will no longer be able to ignore the mistakes they made with UO:R and AoS.

Will that happen? Probably not. If (and I have little faith at this point) a Classic Shard were to be created, I imagine it would be popular at first, because people would want to see what the buzz was all about, and some would want to relive the old days...but oncethe nostalgia wore off, I imagine that 80-90% of the current players would eventually find themselves back on their original shards and doing the same stuff they have done for 10 years or more.

I don't think a Classic Shard should be looked at as some kind of threat, or that EA is using it as a test to see if they should revert all the shards or anything like that.

It's just an alternative to what is there now. And if the playerbase loves it, then who knows where it could go...

...UO has been an ever evolving game since day 1. Not everyone is happy about where it evolved to...but I think everyone expects it to change now and then...or at least they should.

U

Unsatisfied

Must haves
- Pre-AoS
- Fel Only
- T2A Era rules
- No Transfers
- No neon colors

* Skill and stat locks
* House security and lock downs This should be on the needed list, the new version of house security (access list) is nothing classic. Unless your debate was weather or not to have lock downs or have houses like the old style where most things wernt locked down and u needed to be extra safe, id take either style then.

And here ends the discussion :)

U

Unsatisfied

I

Will that happen? Probably not. If (and I have little faith at this point) a Classic Shard were to be created, I imagine it would be popular at first, because people would want to see what the buzz was all about, and some would want to relive the old days...but oncethe nostalgia wore off, I imagine that 80-90% of the current players would eventually find themselves back on their original shards and doing the same stuff they have done for 10 years or more.
This is where I dont agree, while 80-90% of the people currently playing their prodo shards may return to that. Theres still a large number of people who will be returning for this classic shard that wont leave because the "nostalgia" wore off, they will stay, and they are the players who will make up the bulk of this shard. Permanently.

G

georgemarvin2001

@Morgana: Your list sounds good to me. We need to see if Petra would make a new, simple yes or no poll. How does this look to you?
Would you like to play on a classic shard with this ruleset:
-Pre-AOS
-No Trammel
-T2A era skills and ruleset
-No power scrolls
-No character transfers from production shards
-No expansions past T2A at server up. Expansions may be added later.
-Post-T2A era secure storage in houses and skill locks
-Power Hour and T2A era skill gain rates
-various bug fixes
-Order/Chaos consensual PvP system
-T2A era heavy penalties for PKers: permanent stat loss, can't enter towns except Bucs Den, newbied items drop to corpse on death, bounty system (with controls to prevent abuses), long-term murder counts, etc.

**I don't think that neon colors, custom housing, factions or champ spawns without power scrolls for loot are a deal breaker either way. And vendors were around in T2A, so there isn't really any need to put them in the poll.

@Tanivar: NO.

L

Lord Patapon

Power hour wasn't THAT great.
I liked it, but I don't know how many times I had to say no to friends for a hunt, etc, just because I had just logged in.

But I won't be pissed if it goes in the shard, though.
The list Morgana gave is good, imo.

G

Guitano

To the UO development team,

I was a classic UO fan, I played from 1997 and quit soon after AoS was released. I must say that I was devastated when you guys took over UO and turned UO into a totally different game. To this day I have not found an MMO that can fill that old school UO feel. I bounced around from free classic shard to free classic shard and only found that the people running them play god, evil ones at that. Still no luck.

As I am reading through this thread I am deeply saddened. This thread is very unfair as the people here are for the most part your current player base and there are not many here who can speak for the true classic UO fans. I found out about this thread on mmorpg.com

I'm not going to sit here and write out a million page novel on why classic UO was so great, I could do it though :). I am going to speak for the classic UO fans who played for so long and quit due to complete game change. If you are going to give us a classic UO shard, please give us a classic shard. What I mean is do not sugar coat a classic shard making it candy land to please your current player base.

The goal of making a classic shard is to bring back the classic players and bring some new fans in as well. As a classic UO fan, I would not play a classic UO shard if it was sugar coated, I doubt that any true classic UO fan would play it either.

I think that EA is missing out on so much cash by not having a classic shard. I think that classic UO players are really tired of putting up with free shards as I have been. I think that you would be very surprised as to how many people would come play a pay to play, true untouched classic UO shard. The word would spread fast!

I think that you guys can pull off a true classic shard, so hurry up please :)!

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Power hour wasn't THAT great.
I liked it, but I don't know how many times I had to say no to friends for a hunt, etc, just because I had just logged in.

But I won't be pissed if it goes in the shard, though.
The list Morgana gave is good, imo.
I couldn't stand it either, I would spend 5+ hours working my characters skills each day just to use PH, I would miss out on many hunts, and time with my guild and friends. Please no PH.

U

Unsatisfied

I couldn't stand it either, I would spend 5+ hours working my characters skills each day just to use PH, I would miss out on many hunts, and time with my guild and friends. Please no PH.
It all depends on which version of powerhour were talking about 1) there was an hour, for my shard it was 11pm-midnight every day where power hour exists 2) at another stage it was the first hour you logged in. I played heavily when it was option 1... I'm pretty sure it was switched to option 2 after that for a bit but I could be wrong. I liked option 1, bone knight wall in deceit, everyone out maxing skill gains for an hour a day and most people using the rest of their time to go out and have fun and get some passive gains.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

What I mean is do not sugar coat a classic shard making it candy land to please your current player base.
Which part of this list would qualify a Classic Shard based on these rules a freakin' "Candyland"? If you were playing back then, you would understand that every single thing on this list was live on T2A servers at some point in the game's history!!

Must haves
- Pre-AoS
- Fel Only
- T2A Era rules
- No Transfers
- No neon colors
What exactly is it that you want here??

No stat loss?? You want reds in town?? That is not how things were in Classic UO. Reds were never allowed in guard zones, and stat loss came pretty quickly after launch.

For some people, I guess there is nothing that will satisfy them beyond a shard exclusively for red players. rolleyes:

U

Unsatisfied

I dont think he read enough of the thread.... He probably read the first page where it was all talk of new restraints for pks and even a lot of talk about tramell... So I linda skipped over his post when there was no reference to anything recent in this thread.

L

Longest Journey

Must haves
- Pre-AoS
- Fel Only All I ask here is that you call it by its real name, Britannia.
- T2A Era rules
- No Transfers
- No neon colors
Bascially, the T2A rule sets and systems.

Agreed.

Theres no real way to make it non-exploitable. As long as reds can work with a blue partner, they will both be able to cash in and profit from the reds murder counts.

Has potential. Each town could have patrols unique to them. IE, Trinsic has patrols of paladins, Britain has patrols of knights, vesper has patrols of mercenary marines, etc.

Agreed.

Agreed, no custom housing. Never liked it. Players made too many eyesore houses and honestly it was an annoyance.

* Skill and stat locks
Actually, this should be in the must have collum. Heres why:

Back before the stat and skill locks, asshats would go around with kindling and start campfires near banks or public forges. This would cause their camping skill to start to raise, and more often than not, it would start to rob skill points from skills that were maxed out at 100.0%. This prevented that particular form of griefing.

Agreed.

Also, Tinkerers friended to the house should be able to trap the front doors of the houses. Players who are friended, co-owned, or the owner will not be harmed, but players who are not will be killed.

What you have is good, but I have a few suggestions:

#1.) Bring back stat loss for reds and institute a death penalty on them. For every 1 murder count, thats 12 hours during which they cannot rez.

#2.) Make some logical upgrades to the crafting: Enable Bowcrafters/fletchers to repair bows. Allow Carpenters to craft black staves and clubs and be able to repair wooden weapons and wooden shields. Allow Tailors to craft bone armor and repair all leather and bone armor.

#3.) No bless deeds or blessed items, ever.

#4.) No follower system.

#5.) Chaos and Order guilds be reinstituted. They were a lot of fun.

#6.) No factions, thats what the Chaos and Order guilds were for.

--------------------------

Give the children of Britannia back their home!

U

Unsatisfied

Bascially, the T2A rule sets and systems.

Agreed.

Theres no real way to make it non-exploitable. As long as reds can work with a blue partner, they will both be able to cash in and profit from the reds murder counts.

Has potential. Each town could have patrols unique to them. IE, Trinsic has patrols of paladins, Britain has patrols of knights, vesper has patrols of mercenary marines, etc.

Agreed.

Agreed, no custom housing. Never liked it. Players made too many eyesore houses and honestly it was an annoyance.

Actually, this should be in the must have collum. Heres why:

Back before the stat and skill locks, asshats would go around with kindling and start campfires near banks or public forges. This would cause their camping skill to start to raise, and more often than not, it would start to rob skill points from skills that were maxed out at 100.0%. This prevented that particular form of griefing.

Agreed.

Also, Tinkerers friended to the house should be able to trap the front doors of the houses. Players who are friended, co-owned, or the owner will not be harmed, but players who are not will be killed.

What you have is good, but I have a few suggestions:

#1.) Bring back stat loss for reds and institute a death penalty on them. For every 1 murder count, thats 12 hours during which they cannot rez.

#2.) Make some logical upgrades to the crafting: Enable Bowcrafters/fletchers to repair bows. Allow Carpenters to craft black staves and clubs and be able to repair wooden weapons and wooden shields. Allow Tailors to craft bone armor and repair all leather and bone armor.

#3.) No bless deeds or blessed items, ever.

#4.) No follower system.

#5.) Chaos and Order guilds be reinstituted. They were a lot of fun.

#6.) No factions, thats what the Chaos and Order guilds were for.

--------------------------

Give the children of Britannia back their home!
Stat loss was a part of t2a anyway so that's a given, item bless deeds are a no no! But I have no problem with cbds being brought in at a later date I'm something like a clean up britannia event or something of the like, good for the econemy and who cares if someone can bless their straw hat? Order/chaos/faction I don't care what version of pvp we get, but for the sake of the word classic, at least start it with order/chaos, if people wanna faction make it an update further down the track.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Earlier in the thread I posted:

- Bring back the bounty system, but find a way to make it so that it is not exploitable. How do you do this? ...

...Have an NPC with which players can register as bounty hunters. If you are not registered as a bounty hunter, you cannot collect bounties. To register, you have to agree that if any of the characters on your account goes red, you lose your status as a bounty hunter. If your character heals, cures, buffs a red player, you lose your status as a bounty hunter...and you go grey yourself for a certain period of time. But...bounty hunters play by the same rules as reds...stat loss, newbie items drop to corpse, etc. If you don't want to run with the dogs, stay on the porch. Also bounty hunters are freely attackable by reds, and they do not get murder counts for killing bounty hunters.
What this would do is set up another PvP mechanism that would allow for semi-consentual PvP while offering disincentive to, but not preventing, non-con PvP.

Maybe I am not thinking this through well enough, but if a blue player had to sign up as a bounty hunter, they would open themselves up to be freely attacked by all reds. In addition, they would be forbidden from from healing, buffing, curing reds. So yes, a red could allow a bounty hunter to kill him/her, but they would enter stat loss if their count was high enough...and it probably would be if the bounty was substantial enough for anyone to care.

Would it be worth the risk to the bounty hunter to split the bounty with the red? If he or she couldn't resign from being a bounty hunter for at least two weeks or so, they would have pretty much brought down the wrath of all reds on the shard to make a buck. Probably easier to do something else.

I am not suggesting that it is exploit-proof...hardly anything is...but it is better than what they tried before...wouldn't you say?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

#4.) No follower system.
As in taming control slots??

I can personally live with or without them, but I think you would find that the overwhelming majority of players, especially those not wanting to be a tamer, would be firmly in favor of this in the game.

I do miss the days of being able to summon deamons while controlling several dragons though...that was fun!

G

Guitano

Which part of this list would qualify a Classic Shard based on these rules a freakin' "Candyland"? If you were playing back then, you would understand that every single thing on this list was live on T2A servers at some point in the game's history!!
No need to get so upset kid. I see that some people here want a classic UO shard but want a load of restrictions that go beyond what was implemented in the classic days. I was just saying that it would be sad to see this done in a classic shard. I hope that you find some pills that work :lol:.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes stat loss but nothing like it was... lets put it this way.

You're out of guard zone, you're out of rules.

Necromancy, elite, this type of "magic" which is nothing more phenomenal that physical or mental hacking does not deserve a place in such a discussion. Nothing will ever be mystical about that part ; it's become like a steel statue out of the mind, these archetypes... why even focus on them, love from afar is also love, dispense it at will... use your thumbs !

We would follow in just to realise that it's not the actual content but the minds applying meta-physical changes on the dreamscape... old timers will know what I mean.

I however have the answer to all your satisfactions ; which is a pretty big statement I assume... but people would need to find back who Nick-of-Time is... as long as he is a mystery, a legend... nothing will shine in the bright of day, not even the children are innocent.

So yes, 1% should do the trick. No inactive or repetitive commands to pass the time for counts to expire. Many more details planned and accounted for...

Happy ? That bounty system was the best, and may I remind you that only few can claim to be of my size as far as fair pvp ownage go. I was young and effiscient, so I know what we're in it for. Oh yes I killed the occasional miner or worker... BUT TALK TO ME WHEN I ADRESS YOU... you cannot possibly understand my anger until you bite in the quintessential subject matter, the why anger was felt.

Thing is, the people who think they got even remotely close of an idea of how it should be, that classic shard... well it invariably pulls them towards other type of influences than the universal voice of whatever kind of living being it became to be intertwined with our minds.

See some might think I am a lunatic, but I am the atlantic shard.

Can't beleive that huh ? It's so ridiculous it might be true. Well I destroyed it, and its... in me. Try to take it out, and poof it will crumble to dust along with me. I am the only one who can actually create such a shard, unless you all compromise the savage human spirit and compromise for multiple SHATTERED atlantas ?

Will you become a gargoyle avatar ?

Peace all... I'm not in it for the fight, for all I know this might be my last post on this board, my life is fleeting, time is brief.

I see great things coming... heed my prophecy !

L

Longest Journey

As in taming control slots??

I can personally live with or without them, but I think you would find that the overwhelming majority of players, especially those not wanting to be a tamer, would be firmly in favor of this in the game.

I do miss the days of being able to summon deamons while controlling several dragons though...that was fun!
The reason I say no follower/control slots system is because being able to throw down several blade spirits save my mage more time than I can count. Remember my story about the two blue PKs trying to kill my mage in covetus? Well, what saved me was being able to get a paralyse field down in time to freeze them then start throwing down blade spirits to attack them. while they were being hit and poisoned by the spirits, I was wable to pelt them with spells and kill them.

I mean, yeah, after the BPKs were dead, the blade spirits turned their attention to me and I had to hurry up and mass dispel them, but they were invaluable to survival..... to me atleast.

Not to mention when I was facing multiple monsters, it helped to be able to summon a couple of earth elements, like 3 or 4, and have some back up when none of my guildmates or friends were around.

I say it as a mage, not a tamer. I never played a tamer, never interested me. But I had a lot of fun on my mages being able to summon lots of elementals or demons or blade spirits to back me up. Not to mention how strong those summons used to be, they were real life savers. Control slots took that away and hurt mages.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Devs could code a in-game shard wide poll to really get the opinion of most of the players?

Day 1/Launch - Yes
T2A - Yes
UO:R/AoS - No
Stat/Skill Loss - Yes
Bug fixes from post-T2A era - Yes

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I say it as a mage, not a tamer. I never played a tamer, never interested me. But I had a lot of fun on my mages being able to summon lots of elementals or demons or blade spirits to back me up. Not to mention how strong those summons used to be, they were real life savers. Control slots took that away and hurt mages.

I agree 100%. I think tamers need the nerf, but not mages. Of course, I am both...so I am biased.

I think the control slots thing would be a sticking point for some people...

...but if you really want to get technical, Classic UO had no control slots/follower system...so...

L

Longest Journey

Earlier in the thread I posted:

What this would do is set up another PvP mechanism that would allow for semi-consentual PvP while offering disincentive to, but not preventing, non-con PvP.

Maybe I am not thinking this through well enough, but if a blue player had to sign up as a bounty hunter, they would open themselves up to be freely attacked by all reds. In addition, they would be forbidden from from healing, buffing, curing reds. So yes, a red could allow a bounty hunter to kill him/her, but they would enter stat loss if their count was high enough...and it probably would be if the bounty was substantial enough for anyone to care.
Reds could still attack them freely anyway, bounty hunter or not. And they dont need to heal, cure, or rez reds to pull off the expliot, they just need to kill them. Bounties went up pretty quickly. It took less than a week for a red to have a bounty of over 100k on their heads.

Would it be worth the risk to the bounty hunter to split the bounty with the red? If he or she couldn't resign from being a bounty hunter for at least two weeks or so, they would have pretty much brought down the wrath of all reds on the shard to make a buck. Probably easier to do something else.
I dont know about the whole wrath part, but you'd be surprised what people will do to make an easy coin.

As for the risk, yeah, it would be worth it, especially if they know a bunch of reds.

I am not suggesting that it is exploit-proof...hardly anything is...but it is better than what they tried before...wouldn't you say?
the bounty system is too open to exploiting, no matter how you modify it. As long as a red and a blue can make an arrangement for the blue to kill the red and split the bounty money, the reds will still profit from their own bounty.

Private bounties were usually the best way to go, you know, personally contact a bounty hunter, and have them get your revenge. I did a couple of jobs like that, so did a few of my guildmates from my second guild. We broke off and made our own bounty hunter guild, built up a rep for being the real deal. Now, reds actually hated us because they knew we were actually out to get them and not split our earnings with them. My guild fell apart when everyone else wanted to start working with the reds and scam people. I quit and went my own way.

The only way I could see the bounty system working is if there is no official system. Leave the bounty boards up for players to post bounty contact messages, like "Looking for Bounty hunter. My name is Bill Blue, Im looking for a bounty hunter to deal with a murderer, meet me at brit bank and we'll hash out the details" or something to that effect.

L

Longest Journey

I agree 100%. I think tamers need the nerf, but not mages. Of course, I am both...so I am biased.

I think the control slots thing would be a sticking point for some people...

...but if you really want to get technical, Classic UO had no control slots/follower system...so...
Exactly. No control slots for mages or tamers. Besides, it wasnt easy for a tamer to control several dragons at once. The dragons would disobey and run off in some other direction. I think thats because the old taming system used to have a better loyalty system, like, certain tameables would get jealous if the tamer was controling too many creatures at once and wouldnt listen. Im not too sure, but thats what it seemed like. An old guildmate used to complain about that.

G

georgemarvin2001

The revised list for Petra to put to a yes or no vote would look something like this:
Would you play on this classic shard? (simple yes or no vote)
-Pre-AOS
-NO trammel
-NO power scrolls
-NO transfers from production shards
-NO lands from expansions after T2A at server birth. Expansions may be available later.
-T2A era ruleset, skills and spells
-T2A era weapon and armor types
-T2A era monster and treasure chest loot tables
-T2A era stat loss for PK'ers
-T2A era other penalties for PK'ers (can't enter towns, newbied items drop to corpse, etc)
-post-T2A era secure storage in houses and skill locks
-Order/Chaos consensual combat system

There are still several things that there is no general consensus on, but I don't think any of them are deal breakers for most people: Factions, pet and summons control slots, customized housing, plants, post-AOS house deco, updating the some of the crafting menus for repairing and newer items, the T2A power hour skill gain system, neon clothing, the old T2A era bounty system, and new anti-PK systems. If anybody thinks that any of these items are deal breakers, let's hear the argument now.

Revisions:
I removed the bounty system from the yes/no vote, because some players think that there is too much potential for abuse. I do remember that a red would occasionally take the stat loss and use another of his characters to turn in the bounty, so it is a legitimate concern. However, carving players' corpses and taking their heads as trophies was part of the fun of the old bounty system.

I added the pet and summon control slots to the "still being debated" area, but I don't think they would really be necessary for mages if we're using the original formulae for them. I remember that EVs, earth elementals and blade spirits used to just take up one control slot to begin with. If I remember correctly, it wasn't changed to 2 slots each until like 2005-2006. If you can cast more than 5 EVs before the first one poofs with a T2A era mana pool, you're probably using an exploit anyway. Also, tamers with 2 or 3 dragons were uber-powerful, but if you'll remember, there was no bonding. When those dragons died, they were dead forever. The tamer had to spend a lot of time taming and training a new stable full. But the problem was killing those dragons.

One thing I figured out: I must be getting old and senile. I made a big mistake in one of my arguments: They only removed stat loss on Siege in the months before UO:R. It was still active on Atlantic when the PKs ran wild in the months before Trammel. They didn't remove stat loss on production shards until several publishes later. Morgana, you may be right when you said that the Devs may have to add some new anti-PK measures. But I still think that the old ones should be all that are implemented to begin with.

U

Unsatisfied

No need to get so upset kid. I see that some people here want a classic UO shard but want a load of restrictions that go beyond what was implemented in the classic days. I was just saying that it would be sad to see this done in a classic shard. I hope that you find some pills that work :lol:.

I think you need to re read this page, the whole discussion in this thread has come down to a list of things that represent no restrictions past that of classic uo.

L

Longest Journey

The revised list for Petra to put to a yes or no vote would look something like this:
Would you play on this classic shard? (simple yes or no vote)
-Pre-AOS
-NO trammel
-NO power scrolls
-NO transfers from production shards
-NO lands from expansions after T2A at server birth. Expansions may be available later.
-T2A era ruleset, skills and spells
-T2A era weapon and armor types
-T2A era monster and treasure chest loot tables
-T2A era stat loss for PK'ers
-T2A era other penalties for PK'ers (can't enter towns, newbied items drop to corpse, etc)
-post-T2A era secure storage in houses and skill locks
-Order/Chaos consensual combat system

There are still several things that there is no general consensus on, but I don't think any of them are deal breakers for most people: Factions, pet and summons control slots, customized housing, plants, post-AOS house deco, updating the some of the crafting menus for repairing and newer items, the T2A power hour skill gain system, neon clothing, the old T2A era bounty system, and new anti-PK systems. If anybody thinks that any of these items are deal breakers, let's hear the argument now.
Custom housing: No
Control Slots: No
Plants: Dont care either way
Post AOS housing deco: No
Power Hour: No
Neon clothing: Definitely no!
Bounty system: No
New PK regulations: Yes

As for the upgrades to the crafting, thats reasonable. Players were asking for the ability to repair leather armor, bows, wooden shields, clubs, and staves since the game started. Also, tailors have been asking to be able to make bone armor for the lonest time. The only shame is that the ability to do so came in with AOS. It took them several years to grant those LOGICAL requests.

The crafting upgrades are the only things I would want to see in the classic server.

Revisions:
I removed the bounty system from the yes/no vote, because some players think that there is too much potential for abuse. I do remember that a red would occasionally take the stat loss and use another of his characters to turn in the bounty, so it is a legitimate concern. However, carving players' corpses and taking their heads as trophies was part of the fun of the old bounty system.
It wasnt just part of the bounty system, some people took heads as trophies. Also, doesnt anyone remember human jerky?

Anyway, dismemberment was fun and should be brought back.

I added the pet and summon control slots to the "still being debated" area, but I don't think they would really be necessary for mages if we're using the original formulae for them. I remember that EVs, earth elementals and blade spirits used to just take up one control slot to begin with. If I remember correctly, it wasn't changed to 2 slots each until like 2005-2006. If you can cast more than 5 EVs before the first one poofs with a T2A era mana pool, you're probably using an exploit anyway. Also, tamers with 2 or 3 dragons were uber-powerful, but if you'll remember, there was no bonding. When those dragons died, they were dead forever. The tamer had to spend a lot of time taming and training a new stable full. But the problem was killing those dragons.
No control slots, period. It gimped mages and tamers, but mages more so. So no control slots at all. They were rediculous and were necessary only because of pet bonding. However, back in T2A, there was no pet bonding. If pets got killed, they stayed dead and the tamer had to tame new ones. It kept things in balance.

Back in T2A, one of the main lines of defense for a mage was to be able to throw down several blade spirits or EVs to act as fast combat support. The balance was that after the BS's or EV's targets were dead, they would proceed to attack anything else in the vicinity, including the mage that summoned it. Unless they were fast with their massdispel, the mage usually ended up getting attacked, or in some cases killed, by their own summon.

As for the tamers wielding multiple dragons, I saw that a few times. The tamer seemed to have a hard time controling all of the dragons. Some, usually 2 or 3, of the dragons would wander off and not obey the commands of the tamer. Also, when word got around there was someone with multiple dragons, it drew a lot of attention. Anyway, each time I saw a tamer thinking he could dominate with dragons, it ended up the same way: Most, if not all, of his dragons dead, the tamer dead and looted, and everyone feeling pretty good about brining him down.

This even happened to me with my mage and a bunch of demons I summoned. I summoned 5 of them to scare off a red who was lurking around my house. 2 of the demons refused to accept my commands and ran off. The rest attacked the red while I hit him with spells.

One thing I figured out: I must be getting old and senile. I made a big mistake in one of my arguments: They only removed stat loss on Siege in the months before UO:R. It was still active on Atlantic when the PKs ran wild in the months before Trammel. They didn't remove stat loss on production shards until several publishes later. Morgana, you may be right when you said that the Devs may have to add some new anti-PK measures. But I still think that the old ones should be all that are implemented to begin with.
Agreed that stat loss should come back. Add the no rez time based on # of murder counts against them, and you'll have an effective penalty system for multiple murderers.

L

Longest Journey

Heres my revised version of the list of what would make up a good classic server:

-The Second Age rulesets
-Stat loss for reds
-Long term murder counts
-death rez penalty (Ex. 1 count = 5 hours cannot rez)
-T2A magic weapons
-T2A magic armor
-T2A Magic items/wands (fireball wands, invis rings, blessing cloaks, magic reflect tribal masks etc)
-T2A skill gains (Pre power hour)
-T2A classic housing
-No Trammel
-Lost Lands and Britannia only
-*Logical upgrades to the crafting system (for details, see below)
-Necessary fixes for bugs and glitches for that era
-T2A housing rules (lock downs and secure containers)
-Good aligned NPCs that attack reds
-T2A magic system
-T2A item rules

-No powerscrolls
-no runic tools
-no BODS
-no control slots
-no pet bonding
-no item insurance
-no bless deeds or blessed items
-no LRC or other properties for items

*The crafting upgrades are as follows:

-Tailors will be able to make bone armor as well as repair it along with leather armor

-Bow crafters will be able to repair bows

-Carpenters will be able to craft all staff weapons as well as clubs and repair them along with wooden shields

These upgrades are logical and were requested in T2A, but never implimented until it was too late.

G

georgemarvin2001

@Longest Journey: pretty much all of us seem to be in agreement on all of the items that I wanted Petra to ask in a simple yes/no vote. What I was asking about the items that we don't all agree on is whether any of those things would be important enough that it would stop you from playing a classic shard if you didn't get your way, and they were either included or left out? For most of us, they aren't really that important either way.

For instance, I wouldn't quit if customized housing was left out, but neon clothing was included, or vice versa. Personally, I could care less either way about neons, and, while I like my customized house, I would be ok with a standardized marble patio. I don't like factions. But I'm not going to refuse to play if they're included.

Likewise, I hate having to endlessly repeat a boring task to gain skills, and I really, really hated having to move around that 8x8 mess when Evocare removed power hour and put in anti-macro, 8x8, and "fixed" the range where you could gain so that it took 10x longer to GM most skills, and it was actually physically impossible to GM a half-dozen skills for over a year, because the skill gain percentage table was messed up so badly. But if that's the only way to get a classic shard, so be it. I could live with it. After all, without character transfers, if I couldn't GM them, nobody else would be able to GM them either.

I don't believe that each and every one of the items that we don't all agree on are important enough to you that you would refuse to play on a classic shard if you didn't get your way on every single one of them. Let's see a little compromise here.

L

Longest Journey

@Longest Journey: pretty much all of us seem to be in agreement on all of the items that I wanted Petra to ask in a simple yes/no vote. What I was asking about the items that we don't all agree on is whether any of those things would be important enough that it would stop you from playing a classic shard if you didn't get your way, and they were either included or left out? For most of us, they aren't really that important either way.

For instance, I wouldn't quit if customized housing was left out, but neon clothing was included, or vice versa. Personally, I could care less either way about neons, and, while I like my customized house, I would be ok with a standardized marble patio. I don't like factions. But I'm not going to refuse to play if they're included.
Alright, heres how far im willing to compromise with the housing:

For the housing, no customizeable, but adding in the Reniassance designs for houses would be okay, but pushing it in my book.

The houses that came in with Reniassance are as follows:

Small towers
Small workshops(Marble, fieldstone, brick etc)
Large marble patio houses
Two Story Villas
Sandstone houses
Log Cabins

Custom houses were eye sores. And then there was the constant bare plots placed with people just living out of those.

As for the factions, they were useless. Nothing more than a ploy used to get people to go back to Felucca after the split. Before that, there were two factions, Chaos and Order. Guilds joined up with either one and fought eachother.

Cutting out factions and custom houses means less for the devs to have to program into the classic server. T2A had pretty much everything needed for the game to be playable and functional.

Likewise, I hate having to endlessly repeat a boring task to gain skills, and I really, really hated having to move around that 8x8 mess when Evocare removed power hour and put in anti-macro, 8x8, and "fixed" the range where you could gain so that it took 10x longer to GM most skills, and it was actually physically impossible to GM a half-dozen skills for over a year, because the skill gain percentage table was messed up so badly. But if that's the only way to get a classic shard, so be it. I could live with it. After all, without character transfers, if I couldn't GM them, nobody else would be able to GM them either.
Id want the skill gain system from before Power Hour. Personally, I thought power hour was just a way to get people to slow down gaining skills. Sure, the old system could get tedious and boring, but when that skill finally read 100.0% and you gained the title Grand Master, it meant something. It was a challenge and it was worth it.

Besides, it was good be to able to gain decent skill for more than an hour a day.

Neon colors made the game look cheap and gaudy. It took away a piece of UO's pride. Making a classic server isnt just about brining back players, its also about restoring UO's pride and dignity. Neon colors are just too......WoWish.

If they need a better selection of colors for people to chose from for their clothing, add in dye tubs with the colors from the special non neon BoD reward cloths, special dye tuns, and leather dye tubs. They arent game breaking, nor are they ugly or WoWish.

Would I still play if Neons and custom houses and power hour were added in? Yeah.

Would I be annoyed as hell when I saw eye sore custom houses and people dressed like neon Vegas casino signs and could only see substantial skill gains for an hour a day? Most definitely.

U

Unsatisfied

far as neon is concerned, the only thing I ever supported in this catagory was neon hair, but the old bottled neon hair, not the every man and his dog with 500k can vendor it. It has to be rare. But like your saying, I'd happily live without it.

L

Longest Journey

far as neon is concerned, the only thing I ever supported in this catagory was neon hair, but the old bottled neon hair, not the every man and his dog with 500k can vendor it. It has to be rare. But like your saying, I'd happily live without it.
Personally, I thought the neon hair looked assinine. Why would you want your character to look like that? Yeesh.....

My characters were either bald, or had black or brown hair.

A

Akix

I for one have been hoping for a classic shard since trammel was born. I liked everything up till then. And I simply came to this forum to ask, is there any chance of this actually happening or am I just hoping for nothing once again.

L

Longest Journey

I for one have been hoping for a classic shard since trammel was born. I liked everything up till then. And I simply came to this forum to ask, is there any chance of this actually happening or am I just hoping for nothing once again.
Well, this time, its more than just old school players bringing up classic shards. Recently, the developers said that they were considering and working on ideas for classic servers.

So, unlike the past, we actually have a decent glimmer of hope this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.