Online Companies Controlling Champion Spawns to Keep Prices High

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 4, 2010
What I believe to be a significant issue occured tonight on the Catskills server and the undead city. Normal pks, 1 than a group, a battle and they left...unfortunate part of the game, I rgr that. But a second group who just watched the spawn, and once we were a couple candles away from the big guy they attacked and killed. No looting of bodies and some snippets of conversations later, two particular statements stood out.

"Can't have 120's flooding the market"
"Want a 120, get online and buy 1"

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this kind of patrolling. I don't have any particular issue with the online companies. For me, I want to gather the items not buy them. But if the online companies are actively interferring with normal game play, by preventing high end items from being acquired, to protect their bottom line....I think EA needs to take some kind of action. I was really discouraged tonight... Looking for other thoughts.

Thanks,
Lord Admiral

U

UOKaiser

The market they speak about is the regular market in your shard. For example 500k 120 scrolls flooding the market means 120 scrolls will be worth no more than 5 fan dancer kills just a example. The only way that happend if 120 scrolls were available in ish or a dupe happened. It just looks like those guilds control the small Catskill market for those scrolls. In order to take the market from those guilds you will need to create a larger and more powerful one to counteract there hold. Or find a way to get in one of there alliances. As catskill population is low creating a larger guild will be pretty difficult.

The online sellers don't bother with actually playing the games they just buy it at a discount from guilds such as those usually just using gold. I rarely if ever hear any of them actually using cash to buy Items in game to sell for cash.

T

Tinsil

Really? I think you're reading waaaaaay too much into it. That's just something people say, and it's partially true. More 120s = less gold for your 120s that you have.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
Europe
Simple solution:

1. Stick to 110 or 115 scrolls, they absolutely suffice
2. Don' buy things online.

I couldn't care less about all the drama with Felucca Champ Spawns. It is this kind of game content that brings out the worst in people, on the cost of the average player.

Another organization tried to counter the monopole on those scrolls, and they did a great job making Felucca Champ Spawns available for everyone. If they'd stop their efforts, things would be back to normal, meaning: A small group of players controlling the market and getting rich on the cost of the majority.

I don't like Trammel SIMS-Land very much, but the whole Felucca thing is just bad by design. It is a land without rules where those with the best equipment/powerscrolls/hacks win. The average player ALWAYS loses.

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 1, 2008
The market they speak about is the regular market in your shard. For example 500k 120 scrolls flooding the market means 120 scrolls will be worth no more than 5 fan dancer kills just a example. The only way that happend if 120 scrolls were available in ish or a dupe happened. It just looks like those guilds control the small Catskill market for those scrolls. In order to take the market from those guilds you will need to create a larger and more powerful one to counteract there hold. Or find a way to get in one of there alliances. As catskill population is low creating a larger guild will be pretty difficult.

The online sellers don't bother with actually playing the games they just buy it at a discount from guilds such as those usually just using gold. I rarely if ever hear any of them actually using cash to buy Items in game to sell for cash.
Uhm; my guild plays on cats; and beats these guild(s)/faction(s) regularly. They don't spawn when we are on (Approximatly 8pm-2am). Just saying.

U

UOKaiser

Uhm; my guild plays on cats; and beats these guild(s)/faction(s) regularly. They don't spawn when we are on (Approximatly 8pm-2am). Just saying.
Of course not saying the guild/alliance hes speaking about controls all of catskills champs. Maybe your guild does or maybe just different guilds for different time frames or maybe it's just a constant struggle. Who knows Im not in that shard to know who got the power lol. So it's just in general.

D

DarkVoid

With these two statements excerpted from your original post I wonder what their response would be to the following:

"If you pay good we sell 120's we don't need to you."

Perhaps they would let you have the 120's if they understood they could get a cut of your take.

R

RavenWinterHawk

ahh
the time spent sitting there to maybe influence prices isnt profitable.

Online companies dont need to control anything.

They just need to be the first to get stuff and have lots of gold to sell.

End of story.

N

Nastia Cross

It just looks like those guilds control the small Catskill market for those scrolls. In order to take the market from those guilds you will need to create a larger and more powerful one to counteract there hold. Or find a way to get in one of there alliances. As catskill population is low creating a larger guild will be pretty difficult.
Do you actually play Catskills? If you did, this would be a moot point.

As for the original poster, I cannot comment on the quotes you have given, but the tactic of waiting for the Champ to be popped is a common one utilized by pvp guilds. Sometimes the tactic will extend to waiting until the Champ is redlined and then raiding/looting scrolls of corpses.

Mook Chessy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 16, 2007
Anyone who needs to sell UO gold to pay for their RL must have a pretty sad RL

Get A Job, try to make something of yourself...we all know these people, losers who live in their parent basement and try to get buy selling $50 worth of UO gold per month.

I do remember a time, when gold was $50 per million and you could sell a castle for $1500, those days are long gone.

To the OP, when someone says something like that in game, pity them. The poor slob needs to rule UO because he is a low life IRL.

Funny thing is most of these types are over 25 and have nothing going for them, kinda sad really.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, Ya'll
www.kob.org
I think these are the same folks with the earthquake machines pointed at major metropolitan areas from space.

I have a list of suspects right here in my briefcase.

U

UOKaiser

Do you actually play Catskills? If you did, this would be a moot point.

As for the original poster, I cannot comment on the quotes you have given, but the tactic of waiting for the Champ to be popped is a common one utilized by pvp guilds. Sometimes the tactic will extend to waiting until the Champ is redlined and then raiding/looting scrolls of corpses.
What do you mean? Im disagreeing with the OP In how market relations is conducted and how control is in the hands of mutiple guilds or alliances or non depending on the shard.

L

longshanks

Anyone who needs to sell UO gold to pay for their RL must have a pretty sad RL

Get A Job, try to make something of yourself...we all know these people, losers who live in their parent basement and try to get buy selling $50 worth of UO gold per month.

I do remember a time, when gold was $50 per million and you could sell a castle for $1500, those days are long gone.

To the OP, when someone says something like that in game, pity them. The poor slob needs to rule UO because he is a low life IRL.

Funny thing is most of these types are over 25 and have nothing going for them, kinda sad really.
i would tell you that people that do this kind of thing in a serious manner are ''working'' a few more games than just uo.

C

CatLord

Another organization tried to counter the monopole on those scrolls, and they did a great job making Felucca Champ Spawns available for everyone. If they'd stop their efforts, things would be back to normal, meaning: A small group of players controlling the market and getting rich on the cost of the majority.
Thank you Master Pike... it was a fun 09...

How to free a shard in a few steps...
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=180875

How to start Public Spawns...
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=179037

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Dec 17, 2006
Chesapeake
vboards.stratics.com
From what I hear through the grape vine is the "Alliance" or what not are the ones locking players out of being able to go to spawns.

C

CatLord

What I believe to be a significant issue occured tonight on the Catskills server and the undead city. Normal pks, 1 than a group, a battle and they left...unfortunate part of the game, I rgr that. But a second group who just watched the spawn, and once we were a couple candles away from the big guy they attacked and killed. No looting of bodies and some snippets of conversations later, two particular statements stood out.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this kind of patrolling. I don't have any particular issue with the online companies. For me, I want to gather the items not buy them. But if the online companies are actively interferring with normal game play, by preventing high end items from being acquired, to protect their bottom line....I think EA needs to take some kind of action. I was really discouraged tonight... Looking for other thoughts.

Thanks,
Lord Admiral

Welcome To Catskills.

N

Nastia Cross

Oaks done 9:43 pm est. (making the above sentence False)
Your statement is False sir. I checked Oaks personally and there was indeed spawn up to Level 4, but the spawn reverted. There's no way that spawn was completed with the sheer number of spawn that remained.

N

Nastia Cross

What do you mean? Im disagreeing with the OP In how market relations is conducted and how control is in the hands of mutiple guilds or alliances or non depending on the shard.
And I was commenting on what you said about the population of Catskills and how people needed to join a large guild. If you knew Catskills you would know that this is already in existence.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
Oaks done 9:43 pm est. (making the above sentence False)
Your statement is False sir. I checked Oaks personally and there was indeed spawn up to Level 4, but the spawn reverted. There's no way that spawn was completed with the sheer number of spawn that remained.

Hm. There's only one solution. Pictures, or it ain't true! ;D

C

CatLord

Funny...

The Catskills Raiders are a minority and do their best to look numerous and active...

GVP... come visit Catskills... and learn about a new playstyle.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
GVP... come visit Catskills... and learn about a new playstyle.
I should finish my Catskills mage, Vissile. I have a mean dexxer there too :).

I'm currently working Great Lakes/Pacific, in my quest to make a noob mage on every shard!!!!!!11

All I know, from experience, is I'd bet on UHOH with 4:1 odds.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Britain Felucca West Crossroads
www.uoguide.com
If someone wants to kill every player in Felucca to prevent them from obtaining a specific item and have a monopoly, they can do that.

However, it really is impossible to do this type of control with character transfers being how they are.

C

CatLord

You were right... it was 8:40... (I double checked the time)

Still... it makes your sentence... False. :popcorn:

U

UOKaiser

And I was commenting on what you said about the population of Catskills and how people needed to join a large guild. If you knew Catskills you would know that this is already in existence.
Oh I see. though compare to the population of my main shards in my eyes catskill population is way too low for my taste. So I see it as a low population shard though I believe it's really a medium pop shard though so my point of view is scewerd. Of course there are much lower population shards out there and catskill compared to lets say legends, catskill will look like party city. "Legends people don't attack me I do visit your shard from time to time for memories and I do like the tight community there so what you don't have for numbers you make it up in character."
Anyway my rambling just mean i had a different point of view because of where I play. So yea there should be more than enough people in that shard to bounce control of fel around if someone wanted to make a new guild Though there is greater chance that one of the guild member would be working for a rival so screening processes need to be top notch.