• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ask the Devs?...NOT!!!!!

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously Devs?

There have not been any worthy questions submitted since 2/18?

Cal: How about having a rotating group of Devs at least answer 2-3 questions a week. I know it is less than the old FoF (Five on Friday), but it would be a vast improvement over the current OoEOM (One on Every Other Monday) or whatever system you have (or have not) implemented.

When you 1st started posting I stated that one of the biggest grievances on Startics for UO was the lack of communication coming from the Devs down to the players.

Even simple "No, we have no plans for implementing that" or "We currently have a team of 3 Devs working on improvements to unused skillsets, I will provide an update to their progress on XX/XX".

PLEASE....COMMUNICATE WITH US!!!!!!!

Z

Zig_Mythic

Along with the interviews and various posts made by the team, we've got a chat scheduled and I'm working to make the Ask A Dev forum a bit easier for answers to be provided.

Hang in there - things are looking up! :)

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Along with the interviews and various posts made by the team, we've got a chat scheduled and I'm working to make the Ask A Dev forum a bit easier for answers to be provided.

Cool beans Zig. Looking forward to better utilization of the Ask the Devs forum. Thanks for the attention to this matter.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wish, if Cal "the other Uriah" :p were to read this, that he would have assign each dev one day per week, to spend 30 mins of that day, answering what questions they could. One question per dev, one dev per day...
That would give us 5 a week, make most of us happy, and shouldn't stress the work schedules too much?

It would be a solid something we could count on ;)

Z

Zig_Mythic

Well, I'm not Cal obviously but I am working on something similar to your idea. :) Nothing definite yet mind you - I want to make that clear - but I think we'll be able to get questions answered regularly.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, I'm not Cal obviously but I am working on something similar to your idea. :) Nothing definite yet mind you - I want to make that clear - but I think we'll be able to get questions answered regularly.
Cool!

:)

U

UOKaiser

Don't know why it matters much most of us should know most of the answers of questions being submitted. What people don't know they can easily find here or even uoguide.

C

canary

Err... what is so difficult about taking 3-5 minutes to answer a question every day or so?

Color me astounded sometimes by the seeming apathy of most of the dev team on the game we pay their wages to work on.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First off Interview asside you have to admit there is a HUGE lack of communication most of the time.

As for the Ask the DEVs I have many a time.. and not a single question has yet to be answered. Makes me wonder if it even reaches the team.

And hey it's great your having another HoC... well after the last 2 or 3 I'm completely underwhelmed. I asked at least a dozen or more questions regarding issues that are near and dear to my game play.. but the only questions that got asked were the same old same old stuff as usual and most dealing with PvP and Factions. Little to NOTHING about the EC or anything else. So you'll forgive me if I am not really excited about another HoC.

And you will not see me waving pom poms for anyone unless it's warrented. I think it is not too much to ask to get a few answers to some questions that have been ALL OVER stratics and everywhere else for months now since SA came out...

I'm tired of the kid gloves when it comes to answers... that interview was closer to how things SHOULD be on a regular basis...

Open constructive talk happened in that forum... Something that is severely lacking of late.

And finally... I want to say Thanks again to Messana for Newcastles banner. It's very nice.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thank you Zig.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you. And please keep is informed on this. :)

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
House of Commons and Forum interviews... really?!

So, the stratics forum is now the official channel of information? Then how about stating that on you f***ing website or on the login screen? "If you want official information about this game, please do not refer to the official site, but go on vboards.stratics.com and dig through hundreds of flame wars. You might fight a post from a developer".

way to go!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
House of Commons and Forum interviews... really?!

So, the stratics forum is now the official channel of information?
No.

This is a fansite where the devs just happen to comment on a rare occasion.

All "official" information is also posted at the official site, uo.com.

B

Bullseye_of_Atl

Don't know why it matters much most of us should know most of the answers of questions being submitted. What people don't know they can easily find here or even uoguide.
"Should" is the key word, often related to an opinion. I say this because, I searched UO Guide yesterday on answers to the queens soulforge and found many empty pages.

I then submitted my 1st question ever to the devs and still not even a sign of it being posted.

With that said, having a forum section that goes ignored says something.

C

Cal_Mythic

I wish, if Cal "the other Uriah" :p were to read this, that he would have assign each dev one day per week, to spend 30 mins of that day, answering what questions they could. One question per dev, one dev per day...
That would give us 5 a week, make most of us happy, and shouldn't stress the work schedules too much?

It would be a solid something we could count on ;)
Get outta my mind. And actually yeah, they have been duly reprimanded and chastened and called very not nice names :)

Also, some folks have PMed me (who shall remain nameles) ... and I asked them to post some of their questions to the Ask the Dev board ... so I'll be looking.

Also, as you've seen Zig is on top of a few things, and yes we're doing the HoC.

As for the all CAPS "Communicate with Us" ... ummm we have been doing a better job. And I'm hard of hearing anyway, so I've taken to putting my glasses on and reading more. :)

As far as stressing the work schedule ... it's what I do .. you can't stop me. I feed my ulcer daily, and it's quite happy :D

In all seriousness ... yes I've discussed the Ask the Devs with the team, and it's one of our focuses. However, Pub 65 has our priority right now ... and we think you'll appreciate the time we're giving that too.

- c

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However, Pub 65 has our priority right now ... and we think you'll appreciate the time we're giving that too.

- c
I'll appreciate it if I can finally put spell channelling on my boura tail shield. Give the parry mages some love :(

U

UOKaiser

"Should" is the key word, often related to an opinion. I say this because, I searched UO Guide yesterday on answers to the queens soulforge and found many empty pages.

I then submitted my 1st question ever to the devs and still not even a sign of it being posted.

With that said, having a forum section that goes ignored says something.
Ask your question on the queensforge. As long as it's not a question about future development or planning on it. Someone on this forum will be able to answer it. Ask it to me and i'll see if I can answer it or at least point you to a link that the question might of being answered. Infinetely much faster than waiting to see if it's discussed when the dev have time. Uoguide does have alot of missing information but thats because it's maintained my people like us submitting our test and observance. Though since they added the global chat to be more useful I've noticed how little so many people know that is extremly remarkable and it's not there fault at all.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In the last month we've had a UO Liason assigned, more communication with the UO Producer, an awesome interview (Thanks to Grimm!!), and an HoC scheduled!

in other news....

I was in Valor and got a minor artifact off the champ!!

then a paragon dragon ate me and took it.

I think I'll focus on the latter today and be all....

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Err... what is so difficult about taking 3-5 minutes to answer a question every day or so?

Color me astounded sometimes by the seeming apathy of most of the dev team on the game we pay their wages to work on.
Answers given in 3 - 5 minutes are likely to be unchecked, inaccurate and extremely misleading.

How can you possibly judge 'apathy' when you haven't the faintest idea what their daily work involves? How many hours per day do they work? How many days per week? How often have we seen devs post on these boards in the early hours of the morning when they should have been sound asleep?
You make absolutely no allowance for the fact that they may be just too flat out busy to be posting on here daily.

C

canary

Answers given in 3 - 5 minutes are likely to be unchecked, inaccurate and extremely misleading.

How can you possibly judge 'apathy' when you haven't the faintest idea what their daily work involves? How many hours per day do they work? How many days per week? How often have we seen devs post on these boards in the early hours of the morning when they should have been sound asleep?
You make absolutely no allowance for the fact that they may be just too flat out busy to be posting on here daily.
Maybe you just need to read my posts better, Petra. I said SEEMING apathy, which does not give way to actual proof, merely assumption. rolleyes:

We only see what they present, and at times that is in itself is underwhelming.

J

Jhym

*shrug*

All dev groups go through cycles, so I'm not surprised that we're in a lull.

It's sort of like the sunspot cycle - we get periods of high activity and lots of things going on, then periods of tumbleweeds drifting across the screen as Mesanna throws darts at pumpkins with our names on them.

I give them benefit of the doubt until there is something dramatically wrong without any notifications.

You have a shard down with no UO Herald notice for more than an hour? Then I get mad.

Otherwise, I assume they'll talk to us when they have something to say.
:popcorn:

L

Lady_Mina

costumer service and communication is one of THE most important things in business...

I don't understand how EA neglects it's costumers.

While other smart companies invest in communication managers, who keep themselfs busy with communicating with costumers and trying to figure out what costumers think of their product and/if they are unhappy about certain things and how to resolve that, cause happy costumers spread the good word and are good adverticement.

C

canary

costumer service and communication is one of THE most important things in business...

While other smart companies invest in communication managers, who keep themselfs busy with communicating with costumers and trying to figure out what costumers think of their product and/if they are unhappy about certain things and how to resolve that, cause happy costumers spread the good word and are good adverticement.
Amen.

It boggles my mind that Zig treats the Ask the Devs forum like it is brain science. Do you _really_ have to go out of your way to get people to answer questions daily or weekly? If so, that is (imo) utterly pathetic. We aren't asking anyone to build a freakin' jet from bubble gum and duct tape.

Let's see, Cal sends out letter that each developer is responsible for 2 answers to questions a week as part of their job. WOW! Look how difficult that was to set up!

A

AesSedai

- I want a personal Developer to hold my hand and instantly answer every question I've ever had about UO. And it better not take them any time to confer with the code and/or other Devs before giving me an answer. And the answer had better be accurate. And they better answer my questions even if they relate to some near future changes / additions. This will take zero resources from UO and should be the highest priority. I asked first so it is only fair that I get the first one. Start selling them on uogamecodes now... I'm waiting.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Amen.

It boggles my mind that Zig treats the Ask the Devs forum like it is brain science. Do you _really_ have to go out of your way to get people to answer questions daily or weekly? If so, that is (imo) utterly pathetic. We aren't asking anyone to build a freakin' jet from bubble gum and duct tape.

Let's see, Cal sends out letter that each developer is responsible for 2 answers to questions a week as part of their job. WOW! Look how difficult that was to set up!
You echo my thoughts well my friend. As to answering questions.... it can NOT be that hard.... and I know I've submitted at least a dozen to the Ask the DEV's and have YET to receive a single response to ANY of them.

I have tried to send in bug reports only to have them returned to me... And I grow tired of the lack of communication.... (though I will admit that of late I HAVE seen improvement here. I pray it is not too little too late.)

And as for other things... I have hopes for a new publish... though I dare not get hopes up too high...

There are countless bugs to be squashed, 1,000's of things that need fixing... and many things from KR that need to be put into the EC.....

I am still waiting to see the old KR housing menu brought to the EC.

I want to co-own myself to my other houses again.... as it is now I'm trapped.... If I want to get a new house I risk giving up the convenience of having my characters all co-owned and being able to have "friends" ..... I can't even create new characters or they suffer the same limits as a friend... barred from most of the house.... shame it is. And it's seriously starting to become more and more frustrating having known the joys of the KR housing utility and feeling I've been given a MASSIVE step backwards...

I think the ancient limits on Co-ownership are beyond useless... With many, many players having multiple accounts.... and the fact that now we can run more than one client at the same time... it only stands to benefit us to be able to be Co-owned to more than one house and to have FAR more than 10 Co-owners.... these ancient limits need to go the way of the Silver Steed.... and be nothing more than a Memory or an old tale to be looked upon in a Museum.... or Zoo.

L

Lady_Mina

Even if they're too busy 'creating' stuff...then they should at least hire one person to take care of the 'ask dev' forum...even if it's 18 hours a week partime.

We don't ask for much...(well ok sometimes we do lol)
but all we want is just a solid answer to our questions and not some canned repsonse or a respons that's not really a no or a yes and leaves us guessing.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if they're too busy 'creating' stuff...then they should at least hire one person to take care of the 'ask dev' forum...even if it's 18 hours a week partime.
Ugh, yeah, we had that. The community rep. They got fired. Along with many others.

I highly doubt EA will hire another.

L

Lady_Mina

Ugh, yeah, we had that. The community rep. They got fired. Along with many others.

I highly doubt EA will hire another.
Yeah EA simply doesn't not have the desire anymore to waste too much money on such an old game as UO.

Wich is truly sad...
Keep the costumer's happy and even this old 2d dinosaur could become popular again.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I do not think it has so much to do with wasting money, but wasting resources none of the community coordinators really worked out for us? Was everyone here happy with the fof? It did happen every week, yet some of the very people in this thread would complain about it every week.

Also people make it sound like it is so easy to answer the questions, as if it takes no time at all. First of all how accurate are people in the topic of their posts? Usually not very, each dev has a specific area of expertise. Maybe the Ask the dev forum is properly set up and each dev can easily find the questions that pertain to them, or maybe its not and it takes 30 minutes or more to find a question they can even begin to answer. Yes this use to be the Community coordinators job but again, that didn't work out.

We need communication, Lost my train of thought (comedian on tv) Anyhow I think this thread is just pointless, "They don't communicate enough", "They don't answer MY question" people are just going to complain no matter what.

H

Heartseeker

Cloak‡1630207 said:
I do not think it has so much to do with wasting money, but wasting resources none of the community coordinators really worked out for us? Was everyone here happy with the fof? It did happen every week, yet some of the very people in this thread would complain about it every week.

Also people make it sound like it is so easy to answer the questions, as if it takes no time at all. First of all how accurate are people in the topic of their posts? Usually not very, each dev has a specific area of expertise. Maybe the Ask the dev forum is properly set up and each dev can easily find the questions that pertain to them, or maybe its not and it takes 30 minutes or more to find a question they can even begin to answer. Yes this use to be the Community coordinators job but again, that didn't work out.

We need communication, Lost my train of thought (comedian on tv) Anyhow I think this thread is just pointless, "They don't communicate enough", "They don't answer MY question" people are just going to complain no matter what.
This!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have my personal opinion on how we could get a little more input from EA on these boards. Allowing for the fact that they're very busy and time spent here is time spent away from the task of actually developing the game or tracking down and fixing bugs.

What we need is a lot more of this, this and this and a lot less of this, this and this.

Because, to be quite honest, if I got met with the same level of those last 3 as the devs do, I wouldn't be very willing to post here either.

C

Connor_Graham

I'd much rather Cal made sure they kept working on fixing bugs and new content than stroking someone's online ego. Questions can be answered when they have time to take a short breather.

C

canary

I'd much rather Cal made sure they kept working on fixing bugs and new content than stroking someone's online ego. Questions can be answered when they have time to take a short breather.
What you see as stroking someones online ego I see as answering community questions and improving the level of communication... a level which has been historically lacking. Interesting, huh?

C

canary

Because, to be quite honest, if I got met with the same level of those last 3 as the devs do, I wouldn't be very willing to post here either.
I honestly believe that if the UO team had consistently provided a certain level of communication you would NOT see the level of people feeling upset and antagonistic.

Guess what? I play THREE onlines (though in the past have played a total of seven), and this is the ONLY one that I feel the level of communication is so incredibly poor (and has been for YEARS) that I feel vocal enough to bring it up. And guess what again? Obviously by the sheer volume of players agreeing, I'm not the only one who feels that way.

As much as you may dislike people who are vocal about the negatives, it is just as annoying to read posts by what some deem (again, imo) pom pom swinging 'apologists' who seem to think it is okay to support what is a sub par commitment from a team regarding communication and effort.

If I order food at a restaurant, and it takes two hours to get to my table, yes I will complain. I will also complain if it tastes like it was made in a microwave. You may have a lower level of expectations. I don't know.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I can complain. I complained bitterly only the other day about a parcel I should have received. My husband said he hadn't seen me so angry in years. Yet I was at no time rude to the person I was complaining to. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

I can not speak for the developers. I can only speak for myself, but if someone asks me for something in a polite manner I will do my best to comply. If they demand it with rude threats and abuse they can damn well wait. Do you respond any differently when you are asked for something?

C

Connor_Graham

What you see as stroking someones online ego I see as answering community questions and improving the level of communication... a level which has been historically lacking. Interesting, huh?
UO has also always had a much smaller development team than most other games. This makes developer time a premium. What would be better is if the developers were left to develop, artists left to create art, and Cal himself gave us a weekly or bi-weekly rundown on what's going on and/or address the most critical issues. This would not only free the developers up from answering what are sometimes some really stupid questions but would also give Cal a more in depth understanding of what exactly it is the people that work for him are doing, and what it takes to do it.

Whether you want to believe it or not, UO players (at least those here) are more demanding (e.g. throwing e-hissy fits on Stratics) than anywhere else I've ever seen. They are also less understanding and more critical of a game in which the coding looks like a spaghetti factory exploded multiple times over the course of 13 yrs.

C

canary

Oh I can complain. I complained bitterly only the other day about a parcel I should have received. My husband said he hadn't seen me so angry in years. Yet I was at no time rude to the person I was complaining to. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

I can not speak for the developers. I can only speak for myself, but if someone asks me for something in a polite manner I will do my best to comply. If they demand it with rude threats and abuse they can damn well wait. Do you respond any differently when you are asked for something?
Well they must be taking that to heart, not just here but the uo.com site. We've been 'waiting' YEARS for a good communication.

BTW, there are some other words and phrases you can link: 'customer care', 'professionalism', 'promptness' and 'service'. I think the UO team would do well to look those up, imo.

The thing is, we PAY for a service. Again, it boils down to expectations. Sometimes, the customer service is so poo on UO's part that you go from being civil, to being accommodating, to being irritated, and finally to downright angry. Do you think all these players are wrong for being vocal? Don't you think that many HAVE waited for things to happen or questions to be answered for a great long while?

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil. By the way the tea has managed (or, bungled) the way they operate and their general communication, they have a LOT of squeaky wheels now. If they want to point fingers, I'm pretty confident they can start squarely at themselves for being in this situation.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I have my personal opinion on how we could get a little more input from EA on these boards. Allowing for the fact that they're very busy and time spent here is time spent away from the task of actually developing the game or tracking down and fixing bugs.

What we need is a lot more of this, this and this and a lot less of this, this and this.

/signed

C

Connor_Graham

I know Connor trust me we ALL read your posts. rolleyes:
And yours. This thread, and your responses within it are a perfect example.

What's ironic is you picking one little segment out of a lengthy post, yet refuse to respond to the actual points I brought up, and are here pancakes about communication (yes, pancakes is another way of saying "e-hissy fit").

Maybe you should learn how to communicate better yourself before critiquing someone else.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have a new 'uo liason', Zig_Mythic, he has promised to bring us communication, he's working on the questions. Let's give him a chance? And let's at least try to create a less hostile atmosphere? Cal is communicating more. Don't bite him for it? Don't take out on him all the frustration of earlier years?
If they can, and have, promised to try to communicate more, can't we meet them half way and create a pleasanter atmosphere for them to communicate in?

D

DarkScripture

I have an idea to get questions answered. I say that we find a way to have a tips jar for questions. Let ppl use paypal to add say 25 cent if you wanted it answered. when the pot gets high the dev that answers gets paid for thier time. I have not figured out how to make this work yet. But if they were to get paid for their time mayhaps they would answer more often with incentive to do so.