• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best Mouse To Use For UO?

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Recently bought a logitech gaming mouse from Amazon and have sent it back as its more designed for FPS and didn't really help me play UO

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good mouse to be used with UO?

Would be nice to be able to route some functions to the mouse that currently take up keyboard space, such as apples\pots\trapped chest\weap change\etc

The mouse I got was just too awkward and half the buttons were pointless.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a razor mouse with 7 programmable buttons. Waiting for it to break so that I can get a new 10 button one :D

The scroll wheel and 5 extra buttons have all been remapped to UOA functions.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use the Razer Naga which has 12 buttons on the side (maps to 1 thru + keys on keyboard). It isn't as comfortable as the MX mouse and it takes a little bit to get used to the smaller buttons and hitting the right ones...nothing like hitting a button expecting to jump off your mount and dismount someone and instead you go into wolf form because you hit the 3 button instead of the 6 one.

I then use the older G15 keyboard with the 18 keys on the side that are mapped to UO macros using Alt + key, so that I can type without hitting a macro key.

D

Diggity

+1 for the razor naga. Been using it for about 3 weeks now.

Long time logitech user before that, the naga is quite a bit smaller than the MX-5xx mice so it took some time to get used to. I've adjusted and think this is a better UO mouse than the Logitech MX-510 was with 17 programmable keys vs 8.

B

Beer_Cayse

er ... you just HAD to know a line llike this was coming. Right?

Best mouse for UO: one that works. Seriously.

I use a standard 2-button w/wheel Logitech mouse. My keyboard however is a different matter - G15 Gaming keyboard.

D

Diggity

I use the Razer Naga which has 12 buttons on the side (maps to 1 thru + keys on keyboard). ..
Actually with the newer drivers you can program the buttons to whatever keys you want or to a macro you create. I use 3 of those buttons for ctrl, alt, shift. I can press simultaneously to chord them to get the ctrl-shift, ctrl-alt etc combos.

M

Mitzlplik_SP

After tiring of the constant hand moving just to move around,I graduated to Logitechs Trackball Marble mouse. Got one on every machine and I freekin love them. Only have 2 extra buttons next to the right and left clicker buttons but having a stationary mouse where your forefinger does all the work,instead of yer hand/wrist/shoulder is most excellent in my book.:)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/4680&cl=us,en

If you don`t like carpal tunnel,this is by far the best I`ve found.

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After tiring of the constant hand moving just to move around,I graduated to Logitechs Trackball Marble mouse. Got one on every machine and I freekin love them. Only have 2 extra buttons next to the right and left clicker buttons but having a stationary mouse where your forefinger does all the work,instead of yer hand/wrist/shoulder is most excellent in my book.:)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/4680&cl=us,en

Damn I simply loooove carpal tunnel so this isn't for me :lol:

Seriously though, that looks like one interesting mouse.

Thanks for the input so far, looking like the Naga at the moment, unless something else is put up :)

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
meh.. use what the game was designed for...

:thumbup1:

K

Kiminality

MS Sidewinder.

I used to use a Raptor, but the workmanship was shoddy.
Not had an issue with the Sidewinder, aside from getting used to the thumb buttons being vertical rather than horizontal.

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MS Sidewinder.

I used to use a Raptor, but the workmanship was shoddy.
Not had an issue with the Sidewinder, aside from getting used to the thumb buttons being vertical rather than horizontal.
Since I made my last post I had a further look and thought the Microsoft Sidewinder x5 looked quite sturdy and with good button access. I'm going to pop into HMV after work tomorrow and see if i can get a look at it outside the box but i'm seriously starting to sway towards that.

I love the look of the Razer but its probably got too many buttons for me!

When I decided to get a new mouse i didn't it would be this hard a decision.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

This is what I use too. It works great. I like the fact that I can put the cursor on a point and then use the buttons without worrying about moving it. On a mouse, you have to be very careful not to move the whole device. This doesn't matter on a trackball. You can pick up the entire device and move it and you will still be pointed on the same item.

-OBSIDIAN-

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That Naga looks tight. I use an old Microsoft Intellimouse that has a button on each side (2 total), use it just for last object macro and double click, hehe, haven't spent over $25 on a mouse yet but if I did I'd want to try and get a mouse that had maybe 3 buttons per side max, but a lot of these sporty gamer mice seem to cluster buttons to one side and are rather small. I love the Intellimouse because it is big and bulky.

I use a Logitech thumb Trackball for basic computing, but have not PvP'd with it yet. I do feel like it helps on carpal but I really don't know. I think after 10 years of gaming I'm pretty much ****ed either way :).

A

agpga

I use the microsoft optical trackball best thing out there IMO ball is on the thumb dont have to move wrist or arm around.
The worst thing Microsoft did was to discontinue this item. IMO

M

MadMageMagnus

Logitech MX - no wires, no tangles, no mess. smooth sailing. long battery life till next recharge

Razor Lycosa - fast typer? no problem! 1ms polling, lighted so you can play at night

Nostromo - set up some macros.

G

georgemarvin2001

I used the logitech marble trackball for a long time. I currently just have a microsoft comfort optical, but I'm going to get another trackball IF I can find one without having to go to Fry's in Atlanta to get it, or mail-order from Amazon or eBay; last time I ordered one from an eBay seller and it had problems, so I had to send it back. The seller was really nice, so there were no problems except waiting a couple of weeks to receive it, then more weeks sending it back and getting a replacement. I'm going to buy the next mouse locally, even if it's not as good as the ones I can get by mail order.

That being said, once I received one that worked, that trackball was fantastic, and I used it until my dachshund decided to explore its inner workings. I lose more mouses (mice?) that way. It's also a really good reason why I don't want to spend a small fortune buying a really nice mouse; they generally have a short lifespan.

Fogsbane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can say, for me, currently the best mouse to use is the Razer Deathadder.

The DeathAdder only has two extra buttons on the side, but fits my needs just fine for now.
(it is also less costly than some of the other Razer mice).
The tactile feel of the Razer products is quite nice!

I have also been enjoying a Razer keyboard along with the mouse, and it too has a nice tactile feel and is programmable
(it also has light up keys which is nice for my aging eyes - d'oh!)

D

Divster

Grrr someone beat me to it!
But I second!!
Gah u both beat me to it I was scrolling down the thread giggling to myself over the wit of my planned response and am beaten by konge and a dev! well they say u can judge ureself by your opponents so i can console myself with that :D

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use both the Logitec and the MS trac balls... once you go trac ball, you can never use mice again. I have PvPd with them since their initial release

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I used to use a Trackball for a long time... the one with the ball where your thumb is.... it was nice for awhile but then my thumb started getting bad cramps in it.... especially if I was doing things like sorting jewelery...

So then I moved on to a logitech mouse and was fairly happy for a long time.... but I got tired of always having to clean out the lazer light area... and just wanted something with more buttons...

I looked at the razor but I think with all those buttons I'd be accidentally poking things when I shouldn't and I'd not be happy...

So..... I bought a combination.... Logitechs G13 (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=101).... which is super awesome...
for my left hand..... and the Microsoft Sidewinder X5 (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=101) for my right hand. (Which has handy buttons on it that I use for Ventrilo)...

Keeps both my hands busy when I'm not typing on the keyboard... and it helps my wrists... and with my arthritis.... (Yes I'm getting older now!).... it is far better on my hands than keeping all my macros on my keyboard.

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any of the logitech mouses are pretty good. I use the old MX510. With 2 side buttons. But the Revolution MX has 2 wheels, 2 top buttons, and 2 sides. Thats lots. I dont like buttons on the pinky side of the mouse. Instead I use a logitech G-18 keyboard with my laptop as a USB add-on for my left hand

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just get any mouse with a sidebutton for Last Target. Personally I prefer Logitech MX518.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
M

Mitzlplik_SP

I use both the Logitec and the MS trac balls... once you go trac ball, you can never use mice again. I have PvPd with them since their initial release
Indeed!

But not those thumb balls. What a royal (real) pain. Your thumb is not as dexterous as your forefinger. After I switched to my Trackballs,a RL frind got one of those thumb trackballs and was very disappointed. He used his brand new mouse for about 2 days than put it in the box and brought it back for a trackball like mine. He`s never looked back.

I play everything from UO to Battlefield Hero`s and a slue of others. I`ve pvp`d on LS and long ago on Pac with it. With all the settings you can adjust it is easy to make it suit your needs. Best of all,no sore forearm from draggin that stupid square mouse all over the table! :thumbup1:

I should also mention that they NEVER stick,ever.Best thing since creamy peanut butter!

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the input everyone.

I have decided after much deliberation to go for the Razer : Naga.

Quite intrigued by the sound of the trackball type mouse, I hadn't even heard of them until this thread, so will lookout for that in the future. For the time being though, I want to stick with something i'm vaguley familiar with.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Indeed!

But not those thumb balls. What a royal (real) pain. Your thumb is not as dexterous as your forefinger. After I switched to my Trackballs,a RL frind got one of those thumb trackballs and was very disappointed. He used his brand new mouse for about 2 days than put it in the box and brought it back for a trackball like mine. He`s never looked back.

I play everything from UO to Battlefield Hero`s and a slue of others. I`ve pvp`d on LS and long ago on Pac with it. With all the settings you can adjust it is easy to make it suit your needs. Best of all,no sore forearm from draggin that stupid square mouse all over the table! :thumbup1:

I should also mention that they NEVER stick,ever.Best thing since creamy peanut butter!
I may have to test drive one of those.... I used the thumb style for a long time and I loved it, until I started sorting things a lot. But it was FAST I could snap that ball all the way across screen in milliseconds. So I'm curious about this one.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The back row is a little awkward to use, but I just map those buttons to macros that occasionally use. I've never used the two buttons on the top.

Why haven't you used those two buttons?

The Microsoft X5 isn't currently available via the web and no retail stores within the 120 mile radius of my zip code come up on the store check. The thing that new?

The MX518 looks good with it's 6 programmable keys.

The Naga's 17 buttons could save me a ton of ouchy reaching for F-key macros, but... those... *12*... side buttons... <g>

Just how big are those buttons? I have very wide fingers. I tried guitar as a kid and would dampen the strings to either side of the one I was pressing.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with the 2 buttons on the top is that they are as you can see in the picture located on the top side where the mouse begins to curve and the buttons are flush with the mouse. The mouse buttons are also indented more toward the center of the mouse which adds to the awkwardness of trying to use those buttons. For me I have the 12 buttons on the side plus the up and down on the wheel, then add in the 18 keys on the side of the keyboard, I'm really not missing not using those two buttons.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got a Razer Naga Button Monster on order.

A review on the website mentioned the mouse keybinding can now be moved away from the number keys, so with that minus gone, I ordered one. :)

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A 10$ Lazer mouse from wal-mart. Simple as that. Cheap and practical. Goes great with my laptops keyboard :p .

Though I -do- sometimes use the mousepad built into laptop. Works to.