• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who are the devs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cal_Mythic

Cal,

UO's content has always been great. Right now the number issue as far as the long term future of UO is the graphics. Many players may be okay with the 2d Jurassic graphics but many old players like myself are not. And I would think new players (new customers) which are vital to any continued successful business the 2d Graphics aren't up to par. This issue needs to be addressed..the sooner the better. I personally don't care for the role-playing and 'event's. I'd much rather have you guys working on making the game look better and then later on down the line start doing events. The game is sorely lacking from a visual standpoint and despite the negative press UOKR received the EC was a big step backwards.

I would like to see some progress made in this area as far as a UO High Resolution option. I've seen an interview of yours where you mentioned that this one something being looked at. Get on it man...get the ball rolling.

Surely you've seen the polished up graphics Saphreena has done. Something along these lines need to be done to UO to ensure the future of the game. Get Saphreena or someone like her on your payroll and get working on improving these graphics. Upload a few high resolution graphics as often as possible and over time we'll have a beautiful looking game.
Who do you think I am Obama? :) Baby steps, man ... how about we get what we're planning done first? Then move on to the next thing.

But for the record ... yeah, Saph and I were in dialog for a while, but time and circumstances happened and she got pulled on to something else.
Edit: (meaning I dragged my feet and lost the opportunity to work with Saph). Believe me, though, I know this is a topic near and dear to everyone's heart. But yeah, I've seen her works and it's awesome.

Maybe one day *looks off wistfully* ...

There are LOTS of Divine things we'd like to do but I can't let my eyes get ahead of my stomach for all the things I get from the UO buffet :)

C

Cal_Mythic

All right Cal, now you have me worried.

Come on. An English Major AND a zoomie?

*Sigh*
Haha ... I KNOW. I am an English major with a Bachelor of Science, with a heavy engineering core. Which means I work constantly in two hemispheres of my brain.

I was also an acquisitions officer who bought missiles who became a Java Developer for a computer aid design company (and a small bit of DBA in there too -- this allows me to talk to Derek and Billy ...)

In my spare time I learned some C++, a bit of Perl, and played with XNA and C# ...

And no I cannot cook!

B

Beer_Cayse

Yeah sorry, Canary ... I don't give out my Powerpoint slides to just anyone :)
Also, I really enjoy my job and my team so sharing that information at best would be unwise.
That's been policy since at least '98 when I started.

... I had a New Year's resolution and no fast food for three months ...
Ummm no it's not going well ... I really want a Quarter pounder with cheese and a strawberry milkshake (small).
If that had been a Whopper/cheese I'd be there with ya. I want a smoke ... 12/30 was the 1st day without. A few relapses, but cold turkey isn't too bad. The wife makes meatloaf & scalloped potatoes more often to make me feel better. My fave!

B

BeefSupreme

See Cal, it's not so bad posting here.

I know a lot of Devs are like "ohh player base, scary!"
But UO isn't really a bunch of highschoolers and late teen players anymore.
I'm sure there are a lot of those in that age group, but most players now
are what? 30+?
We started at the younger age and grew up playing. Now we have families,
kids, have a professional life etc.

We're gonna pancake and moan a bit at first, mostly because of the lack of communication
but then, like adults, (at least MOST of us I believe) once the pancakes is out of the way, we're here for constructive talks.
I think you're gonna learn an awful lot of what the play base wants to see, possibly influencing your direction and maybe even giving you a few ideas none of you on the team have thought about. We hope to see where the game is going, where our influence is needed the most and where it has been applied. Most of all, everyone on both sides can have a nice fuzzy feeling going forward I think.

It's counterintuitive to be open and honest (as much as EA allows I guess) between developers and players, seems that has been the rule in the games industry since forever.
But really, in the few instances I've seen where it has been, players were happier, Devs seemed more appreciated, and the game was better for it.

I think you're about 95% there to realizing all this on your own though! ;)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Great question ... I'll try to be thorough.

The focus this year is "The Live Game". We are trying to drive more roleplaying with the fiction, and with the update to factions, we'd like the system not only to be about PvP but give others who don't care to PvP a reason for participating.
I hope that you remember that not all players are into PvP and we do not want to be forced into Faction or just be in a support role. I have done as many of the events as possible so far, but if it turns into your "Wild West Show" then i guess this "carebear" will no longer be doing events.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, because I'm sure everyones loves you attempt at being facetious. Give it a rest.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, because I'm sure everyones loves you attempt at being facetious. Give it a rest.
I can't speak for everyone but I loved it.

Your comment......not so much.

Speedhacking has been a problem for too long now and people are tired of it not being addressed and tired of claims it's being worked on. The time for promises on this are over. A little humor does the Uhall good. Facetious is our specialty.

C

Connor_Graham

I hope that you remember that not all players are into PvP and we do not want to be forced into Faction or just be in a support role. I have done as many of the events as possible so far, but if it turns into your "Wild West Show" then i guess this "carebear" will no longer be doing events.
I strongly second, and third this. Cal, keep in mind that the majority of your playerbase wants nothing to do with PvP. I'm all for giving them their fair share, it's their game too, but the rest of us had better not be pushed to the side or you'll see a lot of really ticked off players. Many of us already resented the PvP aspects snuck into events on the blue side of the gate recently, and if that's going to end up being the norm, you'll see people heading for the doors. Events should capture, and keep, the attention of as many players as possible, not push them away. Most of the people in my circle gave up on the Halloween event after they managed to get their first cloak simply because they didn't want to end up spending days collecting crystals just to have some stealthed jackass take the prize, and with it all of the time spent earning it, from the player it should have gone to. Just keep this in mind when you're all doing your planning.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't speak for everyone but I loved it.

Your comment......not so much.

I think we all got the point the first time it was mention and it wasn't even funny then.

G

Green Mouser

Yeah sorry, Canary ... I don't give out my Powerpoint slides to just anyone :)
Also, I really enjoy my job and my team so sharing that information at best would be unwise.

I hear what you guys are saying ... and I understand your concern. But for now please know the team is solid, and actually growing and we're paying attention to what you guy are asking about.

Now if you'll excuse me I have dinner waiting ... I had a New Year's resolution and no fast food for three months ...

Ummm no it's not going well ... I really want a Quarter pounder with cheese and a strawberry milkshake (small).

- c
Cal,

I must say that I do appreciate your decision to NOT allow the nattering naybobs of negativism to get a firm foothold completely unchecked. I sure wish you had exercised this kind of damage control last December. Just knowing that someone is paying attention is a help.

No fooling around, I think most of us see you have a tough row about now and we are trying to send more positive waves in your direction. You must forgive us when we succumb to the doldrums. The Family has taken a few big losses recently. Stay sharp, and stay the course. The term "Not on MY watch." has a whole new meaning, non? Blessings.
Surely, what we have here, is a worthy attempt to be on the list for the next beta :p

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a more complete devs list, perhaps a list of the names on the Valentine roses would be more informative?
These are the 77 names on Valentine roses that I've seen, so far, including Sakkarah's:

Acheren
Aefli
Aeon
Aeseer
Akemai
Aname
Autolycus
Axel
Balendros
Bleak
Cachorrao
Celtious
Cernunnos
Comforl
Cyno Razik
Dekru
Dexter
Drosst
Drummergirl
Dudley
Ealia_Tiefwasser
Eira
Eldariian
Elizabella
Emile Layne
Eris
Evrie
Feidrid
Fiorella
Fiper
Gatermot
Helios
Jawbra
Justel
Kasaven
Kestrel
Lillimu
Lothande
Lyraa
Malachi
Meri
Mesanna
Misk
MollyOMalley
MrsTroublemaker
Nestor
Othan
Pallando
Phoenix
Prume
Rend
Ryutaro_obi
Sakkarah
Sangria
Sarakan
Sebastian Seino
Seppo
Shade
Snark
Stardancer
Supreem
Tashik
Terya
TheGrimmOmen
Thowe
Truji
Uriah
Vespera
Visrias
Vladimere
Wasia
Wilki
Worver
Xatryn
Yossie
Ziv
Zoer

Anyone feel like trying to put job titles with those names?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Nestor and Eris (a.k.a. Kestral) are Atlantic's EMs.

J

jfkeach

Started playing Feb 1998. Took a couple extended breaks because of RL hassles, but still here. Now I have two castles, a keep, and 2 more houses, and I have only logged onto game a grand total of 30 mins in the last 2 weeks. Just cant get motivated to play right now, don't ask me why... But unless things change I am going to bank all i can and give away the rest. I guess my FRUSTRATION level with certain aspects and RNG has gotten about as high as it can.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Surely, what we have here, is a worthy attempt to be on the list for the next beta :p
That is a very interesting interpretation, and if I could get anyone at all to respond then it would be completely unnecessary. Ive been in groups before and would be again. But they don't seem to be operating in that fashion anymore, or at least not right now.

He found the keyboard, and that's better than before in my book. Your opinion is, of course, your own.

B

Budweiser KDL

Whats the point of getting rid of the good people and replacing them with other people? How about keeping the good devs? :sad3:
QFTW.

Cal.. how long have you been on the UO team? How long have you played UO? Just wondering.

I've played since T2A. Just in case it's an issue with you that im asking you about your UO legacy.

The Bud.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess I'm worthless... :sad3:

I'm the type of loser that happens to know too much for his own good.

I guess it's good news, I might resubscribe if things really start changing as well. I gave so much money to EA in total over the years... only to be refused the simplest service of having a GM hold my house for me while I transfer accounts ; I didn't even mind paying two accounts at once !

The first service I asked for in 10 years !

How can I know for sure it's because it's me ?! :gee:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using the list of names from the Valentine's Day 2010 roses, the game credits for the SA expansion (see them by clicking the Credits button on the login screen), and various posts made here on Stratics, this is what I was able to come up with to try to post some nicknames with actual names and/or job titles:

Uriah - Calvin Crowner, UO Producer

Mesanna - Bonnie Armstrong, UO Associate Producer

Supreem - Derek Brinkmann, UO Lead Engineer

Axel - Billy Teng, UO Engineer

Bleak -????, UO Engineer

MrsTroublemaker - Yvette Aarons, UO Engineer

TheGrimmOmen - JP Harrod, UO Associate CG Supervisor

Phoenix - Mike Moore, UO Systems Designer

Sakkarah - Regine Abel, UO Live Lead Designer

Wilki - John Wilkinson, UO Designer

Misk - Michael Armstrong, UO Test Lead

Yossie - Shinji Yoshikawa, Online Operation Manager (Japan)

Wasia - Daisuke Maruyama, Assistant Publishing Producer (Japan)

Celtious - Satoshi Uryu, Community Manager (Japan)

Event Moderators:
Aeon
Aname
Autolycus
Cernunnos
Cyno Razik
Dexter
Dudley
Ealia_Tiefwasser
Eira
Elizabella
Emile Layne
Eris
Faine Morgan
Fiorella
Helios
Kasaven
Kestrel
Lillimu
Lyraa
Malachi
MollyOMalley
Nestor
Pallando
Sangria
Sarakan
Seppo
Stardancer
Tashik
Vespera
Vladimere
Ziv

Game Masters: (These GMs were all mentioned in posts made in English. Not sure where they are actually located, though.)
Acheren
Aefli
Aeseer
Akemai
Balendros
Dekru
Drosst
Fiper
Thowe
Truji
Visrias

Interest Game Masters (Japan):
Jawbra
Zoer

In-Game Customer Support Team (Japan):
Snark (Manager)
Comforl (Lead Game Master)
Rend (Lead Game Master)
Prume (Senior Game Master)
Gatermot (Game Master)
Justel (Game Master)

The following are names from the Valentine's Day roses that I can't match up with anyone in particular:

Cachorrao
Drummergirl
Eldariian
Evrie
Feidrid
Lothande
Meri
Othan
Ryutaro_obi
Sebastian Seino
Shade
Terya
Worver
Xatryn

I *think* Ryutaro_obi may be someone who works on the UO Japan website, but I'm not entirely certain of this.

Edits:

MrsTroublemaker is one of the engineers. Found her on the 9th Anniversary credits (and some earlier credits) and she was still listed on the SA credits.

A

AesSedai

- Very impressive, Tina Small.

As MrsTroublemaker sounded very familiar; here ya' go:

Yvette "MrsTroublemaker" Aarons

listed as an engineer for: KR, 9th Ann, SE
listed as live engineer for ML

http://www.uoherald.com/credits/credits9th.php

& I also see she worked at Maxis ;)

x: ;) tie goes to the orginal poster!
xx: I like this name / makes me ponder and want it: Aeseer

H

Harb

I may be mistaken, but if memory serves correctly, Ms. "Troublemaker" Aarons is one of the original devs, the only one whose been onboard consistently since the onset.

C

Connor_Graham

I didn't realize we had a Misk on the team. Wow, is that a name out of an old series.

F

Flora Green

One that people don't know about or speak about is Tyrant.
Nothing more said.
:lol::lol: I don't think I'm going to bother reading anymore of this thread. Especially since it appears the dev team members are a part of some super secret sect whose identities cannot be divulged to the customers. And if they have been named accurately, well good on the person who did it.

T

Terrorknight

:lol::lol: I don't think I'm going to bother reading anymore of this thread. Especially since it appears the dev team members are a part of some super secret sect whose identities cannot be divulged to the customers. And if they have been named accurately, well good on the person who did it.
Lol, this part is so true. I swear they are in the witness protection program and we can't find out who they are. A friend of mine a few years back had the idea that all the UO devs are actually one person. (hopefully thats not the case)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It's because they're celebrities and we are the adoring, and occasionally legally insane, fans. If I were a game dev, I'd be worried some crazed player would hunt me down irl because his stable ate his favorite pet.

C

canary

It's because they're celebrities and we are the adoring, and occasionally legally insane, fans. If I were a game dev, I'd be worried some crazed player would hunt me down irl because his stable ate his favorite pet.
Please tell me you are joking.

BTW, kudos to Tina for the list. It does appear, beyond the EMs, we are indeed in maintenance mode with what amounts to a skeleton crew.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BTW, kudos to Tina for the list. It does appear, beyond the EMs, we are indeed in maintenance mode with what amounts to a skeleton crew.
It's hard to tell just how big the team is that handles development, programming, art, music, animation, and QA for UO. If you look at the SA game credits, here are the number of people you see under each job title in these areas:

1 Producer
1 Associate Development Manager
1 Lead Engineer
1 Art Director
1 Lead Designer
1 Lead System Designer
4 Engineers (this doesn't count the intern)
5 Artists
5 Designers
1 Lead World Builder
4 World Builders
2 Composers
2 Animators
1 Senior Unix Administrator
1 Community Relations Director
1 Online Community Coordinator
1 Marketing Manager
1 International Strike Team Lead
1 QA Director
1 Test Lead
4 QA Testers
1 QA Analyst

That is a total of 41 positions. What puzzles me about the SA game credits is I don't see any Japanese names among this group. The Japanese names I do see in the credits seem to be involved with PR, customer support, and possibly EM functions (yes I know they don't have EMs that do the same stuff but they do something that is somewhat comparable). So who was Draconi working with when he said they had people on the team in Japan doing their first writing of quests? Was it the two "Interest Game Masters," Zoer and Jawbra? Curiously, they aren't listed under the heading of "in-game customer support."

The job titles for the Japanese staff listed, besides the GM type positions under the heading of "in-game customer support," were:

1 Japan Online Director
1 Online Operation Manager
1 Assistant Publishing Producer
1 Player Relationship Manager
1 Community Manager
2 Interest Game Masters

That is potentially another 7 positions in addition to the 41 I listed above. So perhaps there were actually about 45-50 people directly involved with putting out and polishing game content in some form or fashion.

Direct in-game customer support people totalled maybe another 30-35 positions (28 outside Japan and 6 in Japan), assuming they all work only on UO and aren't shared with other games (directors, managers, analysts especially might be shared).

There are also numerous folks listed at EA Mythic and Redwood Shores that I imagine are shared with other EA Mythic titles. (Some of the people above could also be shared with other titles for all we know.)

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really, when the question is

"With the recent departures of a few key EA/Mythic people, does anyone know who is left to run UO?"

The answer is NOT

Don't misdirect, it annoys people who notice.....
He sounds like a bad politician. I've already lost hope in this guy.

C

canary

Tina, just remember some of those positions are not full time with UO, and Mythic shares resources within their company. So for they are also using people from DAoC and WAR, as well as sometimes contracting outside the company for certain things. So the SA team isn't anywhere close to what would be the day to day Dev Team would be.

If we REALLY had 5 full time artists I'd hope we'd see more than just a new box (badly rendered at that) every holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.