• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

And the fires rage on!

A

agpga

I thought the fires burning in Luna were supposed to be put out last weak.
What happened?

C

Chrissay_

The fires are dying down in the city of Luna. Soon the cleanup crew will begin removing the rubble that’s left from the blazing fires once a week. Once the rubble has been removed a house will be able to be built where the rubble used to lie. The cleanup crew will visit a different shard every week until all of the rubble has been removed.
From the Five on Friday on May 1st
http://uoherald.com/fof/?fofId=153

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If Genesis Archives ends up owning these too, someone needs their butt kicked..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well I believe the GL one is down and already taken..... almost instantly.

R

Rama21

Well I believe the GL one is down and already taken..... almost instantly.
Same with LS, but last time I checked, the one near the Brit moongate was still burning. I guess Luna is the only one that matters to anyone.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's already 2 scripters camped on LA. Now, convince me that these are legit players that are simply camping a prime spot. They're actually at their computers, even though there's no indication that the fires are subsiding or that the plot will open up any time soon...Draconi, please, just log on to LA, check the names on these guys, and then check again tomorrow, when they're still there, ban them. Don't let this plot go to yet another scripter...

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's already 2 scripters camped on LA. Now, convince me that these are legit players that are simply camping a prime spot. They're actually at their computers, even though there's no indication that the fires are subsiding or that the plot will open up any time soon...Draconi, please, just log on to LA, check the names on these guys, and then check again tomorrow, when they're still there, ban them. Don't let this plot go to yet another scripter...
I'm sure there's lots of scripters camping these spots. However I think one thing that works in the legitimate player's favor is the fact that you have to watch each piece of the house get deleted till the scarecrow is gone (from what i've read, maybe each deletion is different) then you can try to place. A script can just try to place every few seconds now cause of the tool burnout, but someone who is sitting there and hasn't passed out can attempt to place as soon as the last piece of the rubble is deleted.

So maybe it won't be such a scripter grab-fest after all, but who knows. I'm sure I'll spend my share of time at one of the luna rubble houses, and end up missing it anyways. I had my fair share of good luck last week already. :p

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It will be just like it is now. The script will monitor the existence of the scarecrow, once it vanishes "like the house signs do", the script will place.

And fyi, the shard came back up after maintenance, and "drake" is right where he was last night..and lets be honest here, it's even a "throwaway" name...lower case and all..

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You truly could not *give* me a Luna home.

Am I really the only one who thinks the prospect of living in Luna is its own special hell? :eek:

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will be just like it is now. The script will monitor the existence of the scarecrow, once it vanishes "like the house signs do", the script will place.

And fyi, the shard came back up after maintenance, and "drake" is right where he was last night..and lets be honest here, it's even a "throwaway" name...lower case and all..
Hrm, maybe then the GMs should delete things out of order, if they aren't already. I dunno, I was kind of hoping it would be one of those things where scripters wouldn't have an advantage. I think I'm a little too optimistic sometimes.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You truly could not *give* me a Luna home.

Am I really the only one who thinks the prospect of living in Luna is its own special hell? :eek:
I wouldn't care to live there, if I ever place a luna house I would sell it. :thumbsup:

S

StifledArgument

There's already 2 scripters camped on LA.
That doesn't shock me in the slightest, the housing scripters on our shard (LA) are ridiculous. I would hope (I don't expect it), that a GM before clearing this stuff out, would do a detect hidden and attempt to talk to the people "sitting" there waiting to place. No response = jail and those of us that have always wanted to have a house in Luna might stand a snowball's chance in heck of getting one without having to scrape together excessive amounts of gold.

There are 2 things in this game I have always wanted. A Castle or a house in Luna, I hated having to pimp my vendors with 5 million runes and then having to gate people on the busy nights. I guess it is stupid, it has just been one of my in-game goals. I came back to UO not long ago, and I have crap for money so buying places like these isn't going to happen for a while.

Please, for the love of jeebus, don't let the scripters get it, let it be a good old fashion manual placing of house lag fest (fond memories of Atlantic and a house that fell there and all the people).

A

Anon McDougle

I stated in a post about this weeks ago this will end badly on every shard and its so sad!! a simple you have been given a ticket on login then have a drawing at some other time and all fair to all. why oh why cant they do it right just once ??

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
edited.... because it was a long hot bbq afternoon and the beer was flowing and the reply was a little harsh...alas to say the least..but lets be honest it could happen...and lets not forget the old clique gm events of 3-4 years ago.

why why why change it

just leave em burning as a stark reminder of what could happen !!jeebus we only talking about odd plots...and it seems to me the 24/7 scripters are only gonna reclaim the spots that they lost in the first place

'Luna'rce

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree that it is sad if scripters (or cheaters of any kind) get these plots.

I liked the lotto ticket idea mentioned before, one ticket per paid account...this way the everyday player would at least have a chance at the plot, should they desire it.

The real issue to me though, is that there is no easy way to attract shoppers to your shop outside of Luna. I would have liked to see the plots used as an area for a library of catagorized runebooks for shopkeepers/vendors. Players could request their rune be added, including a short description of what they offer.

This would be a great way for shoppers to easily find new places to shop, and not be more or less forced into Luna vendors only because of time restraints. The library could also serve as a market/gathering spot for the community.

Hmm...seems this would be an idea to help bring some more life back to WBB since the Burning Plots are already being placed. :)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IT KINDA STINKS OF ''FREINDS OF THE EM/GM'' GET THE FIRE PLOTS...

HEY THATS MY TAKE ON IT.. but pretty well obvoius too... WHATEVER!

kinda stinks it random .... as its obvoius they can decide who gets it.. realy should have had a a ingame raffle or similar...like we had with odd castles in the past... shame.. shame .. and it look so bad for the devs cause its so easy to give a plot to there waiting mates.... sad sad sad
There's no need to badmouth the EMs for no reason. There is no way an EM can hook their friends up with plots, to say so is downright rude and totally ignorant.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know about all that, but who's to say an EMs friend couldn't become a GMs friend? And as an update, he is still logged in, hidden at the burning plot, for 12 straight hours now. Such dedication, for those of you that would defend this person and say there's no proof to their wrong doing...

A

Anon McDougle

Its not to late to do the right thing with the remaining plot !!!!!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Logically speaking, if gms/ems has the plot slated for their friends, they won't need to script /camp it for hours.

A lottery would be a good idea, but each plot must only be open for those who plays that shard. Say, plot specific lottery vendors. Players need to login to buy a lottery for that plot on just that shard. But might still be to much work. And there'll still be calls of the gms "fixing" the lottery.

Best solution imho is for the gms to block placing of a house for a random time, after clearing the rubble, like idocs. The current idoc timer is a good anti scripting solution. Maybe they can place a house plot and let it decay normally?

H

Harb

Garth, you're on target about the "stand by" characters. I wanted to follow up your lead where I could. I have no way of knowing if they're scripters per se, but it's damn fishy, and a "positive hypothesis" is not reasonably attainable. I can only track comprehensively on a few shards, but they're in place everywhere I can determine. And you're right, they are "throw away" charcaters, low skills (you can check them via MyUO), no gear, etc. Most track (high three: tracking, hiding, focus. Go figure). Whoever is executing the process for our dev team team needs to "jail" these type characters, detectable script or no, before he/ she clears the rubble. Elsewise, it's a good bet these spots are going a nefarious route indeed.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agreed, my LA guy has been standing there now, for 14 hrs. He'll be there till the shard goes down, and he'll be there when it comes back up. And more than likely, when the Scarecrow does fall, the new plot will bear his name. And then he'll log out, and check another shard..rinse/repeat. And any Dev or GM or whoever is in charge of crap like this, that actually cares about this stuff, and doesn't simply light fires when enough people complain..were to actually get off their butts and do the slightest bit of leg work, they could easily determine the ip addys and whether they are multi sharding, whether skills are being used to keep them connected (please don't chime in with the incoming names argument, it gets old) and if they checked deep enough they could find the main accounts. Lets be honest here, the server logs the ip addresses of all account names. It's not that hard to check a throw away account, and then find a match from a previous log in.....getting them to actually do something is the hard part. Hell, it took over 2 yrs to get the plots that are burning , to burn...

H

Harb

Oh, I really don't think this is "hard" at all. I know from personal experience that Drac or whoever is clearing rubble can "see" every player who is there. It's not difficult to "validate" characters in the least, though I'm unsure if their "characters" still have a "tool" to completely scan a player character or not (at one time they could, for certain). If nothning else, do what we as players do to take a look and check each present character's skills/ stats. In cases where its as blatant as what I'm seeing, the "super GM" character (for lack of a better term) simply ports them off to jail before clearing the rubble/ enabling placement. Not doing so is well, apathy IMO.

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not difficult to "validate" characters in the least, though I'm unsure if their "characters" still have a "tool" to completely scan a player character or not (at one time they could, for certain).
The God client is a scary thing to see in action, I must say...

:D

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, I really don't think this is "hard" at all. I know from personal experience that Drac or whoever is clearing rubble can "see" every player who is there. It's not difficult to "validate" characters in the least, though I'm unsure if their "characters" still have a "tool" to completely scan a player character or not (at one time they could, for certain). If nothing else, do what we as players do to take a look and check each present character's skills/ stats. In cases where its as blatant as what I'm seeing, the "super GM" character (for lack of a better term) simply ports them off to jail before clearing the rubble/ enabling placement. Not doing so is well, apathy IMO.
Having a noob player sitting at a plot isn't really an indication of whether or not that person is scripting. I have two houses full of vendors, if I place ever I do it with a third account that only has undeveloped players on it and holds a house i can xfer to another account easily. :p

It would be cool to have the GM telestorm everyone sitting around the plot to a bank though. Jail is a little extreme considering there are legit players there too...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I woke up to go to the bathroom, he's still there, 19 hrs later.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why why why

just leave em burning as a stark reminder of what could happen !!jeebus we only talking about odd plots...and it seems to me the 24/7 scripters are only gonna reclaim the spots that they lost in the first place

'Luna'rce
I tell u its luna-rce- leave em burning for eternity!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's no need to badmouth the EMs for no reason. There is no way an EM can hook their friends up with plots, to say so is downright rude and totally ignorant.

i edited the post it was a little harsh...but please dont forget the olde clique gm events of 3-4 years ago ..and dont say this never happened!! thats the reason they were ultimately stopped!!...hey im not saying it will happen but it could!....but point taken.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"m off to work. The shard went down, came back up, and Drake is still hidden right where he was all freaking day yesterday.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nobody's considering what an interesting opportunity for the devs to capture data on what extremes of tactics people will attempt in order to win an house-placement race?

H

Harb

Having a noob player sitting at a plot isn't really an indication of whether or not that person is scripting.
Agreed, and I said so in post 29 :)
It would be cool to have the GM telestorm everyone sitting around the plot to a bank though. Jail is a little extreme considering there are legit players there too...
Actually, I disagree on this one. Telestorming negates previous legitimate efforts, which ideally shouldn't occur when honest efforts are made. But I also agree with Garth, thus the looksee. It's not a very far "stretch" to be very, very suspicious of what is factually present (under developed characters, no gear at all, "advanced" character (creation menu) skills only. Jail isn't so harsh should they be held for 30 minutes and released without further action!!! Now, if someone is actively monitoring the immature account, and wants to quickly log another account and make a legit effort, I'm all for their success and wish them the best.

N

Nightwind

Believe it or not, the guy who got the plot in luna GL just happened to be walking buy when he noticed peices of the burning rubble dissapearing. He didn't think it was possible that he would have a chance at the plot even myself told him it was a mil to 1 chance that he would get it being my old gm had bought the last spot he has in luna for an imo outrageous price. No one else in guild was on so he took a chance and some how he did it by placing a small house. The only thing I could figure is that alot of the other placers there at the time were trying to place the largest house they could so not have to chance resizing later. When I arrived at the house later that evening i noticed under the cover of the house to the right were two peices of debris still there that got overlooked a black broken chair and a black peice of wall that caused the placing of a larger house to be impossible. I called a gm and had the peices removed but i think he is satified just having the plot as is lol I mean cmon what were the chances of getting it anyways? He didnt even have his other house condemed at the time he placed. He isnt a professional idocer nor placer just a good guy who happened by and got lucky. I'm very happy for him and wish him the best. I never even attempted thinking about placing there because to me it was a futile thought. I wish him all the luck in the world on his new placement and my best wishes. He's a great player and a great person so lets cut him a little slack. Mark one up for the little guy.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah thanks for sharing your 2nd thought with us in 3 years...if he did it legitly, good for him...this guy is still logged in there..so now he's up to 27 hrs with a 15 minute maintenance window...

This guy is either (a) A stratics reader, and he's so arrogant that he doesn't care that we're talking because he knows nothing will be done, or (b) he's not a Stratics reader, and has no idea about this thread and is a perfect candidate for some EA Investigative work....but I have a feeling that nothing will happen to him. But I do make this promise. If Draconi turns off this burning plot, and this guy places on the plot...I"ll quit UO for good, I"ll gladly give everything I have away to anyone that wants it, because I will have lost all desire to continue...and it''s not about jealousy. I don't want this Luna plot. I don't have the game time for the upkeep on a good vendor location. I would rather have a 7x7 inside the city of Britain ( a posting I made a while back). So it's got nothing to do with jealousy/envy. In fact, I'll give all of my stuff away, in front of the new plot that I know this guy will get, and I"ll advertise the date that I do it....

C

Chrissay_

Let me put it this way anyone "babysitting" a plot on a shard the flames will still burn ;).

Chrissay

H

Harb

Let me put it this way anyone "babysitting" a plot on a shard the flames will still burn ;).

Chrissay
Four things:

1) Thanks for the update
2) Glad to see you see what we see, and appreciate action
3) While good in a way, bad in a way also. There are sure to be legit efforts, why diminish these?
4) What we're seeing of course is "bad behavior." It's been there forever, and will remain as long as the servers run. I understand limits/ capabilities of malicious "detection" (despite JC beating me up reference computing ignorance, accurately!). But as has been the case for a long time, actually "forever," human intervention, opposed to systemic acquiescence, can make this work out just fine and "just." Recommend you action against the obvious, no more or less.

Again, thanks Chrissay :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Chrissay
I'll second the "thank you for commenting", but I also agree that this will hurt those that are actually at their computers waiting...

H

Harb

I'll second the "thank you for commenting", but I also agree that this will hurt those that are actually at their computers waiting...
Not to get sentimental, I seldom do, but knowing of your case I felt it necessary to say something as you're really not positioned to do so without a little prompting first. I doubt you're alone - not every character I "saw" fit into the same "categories." There's been a persistent mentality within dev that "you can't code behavior," oft expressed by my favorite senior producer of years past. I never really accepted the belief, while on the surface it's certainly a fact, in my mind it can become a bit of a "cop-out." The "God client" referred to earlier is "unlimited" in many ways, but has (or had) restrictions. Part of the restrictive nature of use boils down to what's best described as a "code of conduct," one that is honored, and actions are subject to review. In this case, as it has been on occassion before (not always), it's a fairly "cut and dried." It is clear, very clear, where "issue" exists. Having never had direct access to said "client," I can honestly say I don't know what it can determine about a character. I do know, that if I can push a couple links on a web browser, anyone can (I actually am a computing dummy by any/ all definition). It isn't time consuming or difficult. As earlier, if it is clear "throw away" characters are camping, "jail" them. The go on about your business. I know, I know, EA legal might object. And.....? (It's "good" to be on the outside sometimes :))

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, I stood beside him last night while I was posting here, and 2 times I got the message, "You have been idle for too long, yada yada"...so I know for a fact Incoming names won't always keep you connected, which so many cheaters like to use as their defense. Yet the guy I was watching never lost connection. Which means his character is actively doing "something". It would take 2 seconds for a GM to come and see what he's doing that's keeping him connected. My guess is he's bowing over and over. It doesn't take a rocket scientist with a God Client. It would take very little investigation on anyone at EA's part. It's just disappointing to wait for an answer, and for that answer to be a punishment for everyone else that's going about it fairly.

S

Sindris

I play LA as well, it would be nice to see the plot go to someone OTHER than one of the 3 guilds who seem to own every OTHER plot in Luna. I have been checking in 4 or times times every day to check the status of that burning plot. Be a real shame if a scripter got it. Maybe he should be teleported to Destard every hour or so to check his reflexes, make sure he doesn't get bored. Glad to hear that the only thing he is accomplishing is to keep the plot burning longer. That's rather poetic.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Believe it or not, the guy who got the plot in luna GL just happened to be walking buy when he noticed peices of the burning rubble dissapearing. He didn't think it was possible that he would have a chance at the plot even myself told him it was a mil to 1 chance that he would get it being my old gm had bought the last spot he has in luna for an imo outrageous price. No one else in guild was on so he took a chance and some how he did it by placing a small house. The only thing I could figure is that alot of the other placers there at the time were trying to place the largest house they could so not have to chance resizing later. When I arrived at the house later that evening i noticed under the cover of the house to the right were two peices of debris still there that got overlooked a black broken chair and a black peice of wall that caused the placing of a larger house to be impossible. I called a gm and had the peices removed but i think he is satified just having the plot as is lol I mean cmon what were the chances of getting it anyways? He didnt even have his other house condemed at the time he placed. He isnt a professional idocer nor placer just a good guy who happened by and got lucky. I'm very happy for him and wish him the best. I never even attempted thinking about placing there because to me it was a futile thought. I wish him all the luck in the world on his new placement and my best wishes. He's a great player and a great person so lets cut him a little slack. Mark one up for the little guy.
I love stories like this. :)

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Chrissay
She said babysitting - read, camping - regardless of whether you are actually at your computer waiting for it to fall or not, its the same thing. They want everyone to have a chance not just the people with the time to sit around waiting.

R

RichDC

What would be nice is if a GM went to these shards where people are "babysitting" and said something like...Whos alll here waiting to place??

If no-one answers(bear in mind they can see the hidden), say something else like, all these people for one spot...i hope your not all afk.

then, if no answer...wisk them away to jail for the normal beginning of a 3day suspension.

Problem solved.

Oh and keep doing what chrissy said though...i like that!