• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Instant Messengers + Security Paranoia

W

Whinemaker

Hi,

Just a question for you computer guru's out there...

I've started playing UO a bit more regularly again, and met some new people online. I've added some of these new people I met to my ICQ, albeit not fully trusting some of them.

Now, I'm an idiot when it comes to computers and such so please don't laugh. What are the chances of people hacking into my computer directly through ICQ (or any other instant messengers)? Like, not by sending me a camouflaged exe file for me to click on, but just directly through ICQ by my simply being logged in.

Oh, and just an extra bit of info... I have antivirus and firewall set up all the time.

Cheers.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

Just a question for you computer guru's out there...

I've started playing UO a bit more regularly again, and met some new people online. I've added some of these new people I met to my ICQ, albeit not fully trusting some of them.

Now, I'm an idiot when it comes to computers and such so please don't laugh. What are the chances of people hacking into my computer directly through ICQ (or any other instant messengers)? Like, not by sending me a camouflaged exe file for me to click on, but just directly through ICQ by my simply being logged in.

Oh, and just an extra bit of info... I have antivirus and firewall set up all the time.

Cheers.
Just basically run your virus scan and run adware scan. Don't click on any links given to you and don't sign up on any forums you don't trust. Additionally, don't use same user name or password as your UO account.

I wouldn't add everyone under the sun though. If people don't stay in touch periodically then kick them after a short period of being inactive.

I have never had any problem with doing the above. Oh and change your passwords frequently to something only you know. Don't share your password even with family members. May seem silly advise there but...I've seen it happen. Hope that helps.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somewhere between Jack and ****.

And Jack just left town.

W

Whinemaker

Just basically run your virus scan and run adware scan. Don't click on any links given to you and don't sign up on any forums you don't trust. Additionally, don't use same user name or password as your UO account.

I wouldn't add everyone under the sun though. If people don't stay in touch periodically then kick them after a short period of being inactive.

I have never had any problem with doing the above. Oh and change your passwords frequently to something only you know. Don't share your password even with family members. May seem silly advise there but...I've seen it happen. Hope that helps.
Thanks... but then when I use an instant messenger service am I connected directly to the other guy's computer?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks... but then when I use an instant messenger service am I connected directly to the other guy's computer?
I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure the messages are routed though the messenger service's servers before it goes to the recipient.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure the messages are routed though the messenger service's servers before it goes to the recipient.
Yes. Otherwise pretty easy to just go ahead and install key-logging software onto your computer and steal your account information.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks guys... it's a relief.
Additionally, it was a point I forgot to mention. As long as you run the website with adware (if you don't trust it)...some virus protection also shows you whether a site is safe or not. Anyways >

There is an online medium where you can just chat on whatever program you use. It does not require download of any software. Quite handy I have to say since basically zero risk and if you were worried...just hit the X button in the top right corner. Problem solved.