• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Your shard... Shout out!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Tell me about your shard. What makes it the place you play. Other than it is where your stuff is... We all have stuff.

Seriously, not a troll. What are the charming things about your shard.

A

Aboo

Tell me about your shard. What makes it the place you play. Other than it is where your stuff is... We all have stuff.

I'm tired and having terrible allergies right now so I should probably not answer this tonight, but oh well. . .

I play LS and I have for 11+ years. I can't even remember why I originally chose it. However, I play it now because that's where my family is and friends are. I have found it to be a very friendly and community orientated shard. People are more than willing to help each other with little regard to what they get for themselves.

Siege is my second home. I honestly never thought I would like Siege because of the ruleset there but the reason I play it is for the community. It gives me a feeling of UO when I first started, the good parts like when an entire community banded together to help one another.

Sorry if that isn't the response you were seeking.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its where I started 11 years ago. even off and on playing I always stayed on atlantic.
11 years of history and Roleplaying agains Lord British's excellent backdrop of lore.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Legends is the shard for me because we are more than a community we are FAMILY!!! (Feel free to start sing the Sister Sledge song by same name)

:grouphug:

We are tight knit and we take care of each other. For example when our beloved Lady Phoenix was dying; she expressed a wish to have her son at her side. Unfortunately he lived a long way from her and having lost his job had no money for airfare. The good people of Legends Shard took up a collection and bought him a airline ticket so he could be with her. :hug:

The finest people in UO play Legends, IMHO! :heart: :love: :heart:

M

Marcus Blackwell

For me its all about the alliance in.. the friends that ive made here on catskills has become like a family and wouldnt trade them for the world..

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play on Catskills currently, I started on Napavalley back in 1998; however after a short hiatus I found my friends had changed shards so made the move. I love Catskills for the people, the RP Community I am part of have become family. Its more than just a game its a place to tell stories and share time with people I care about.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I play Chesapeake because we have a great crafters guild, where almost all our shards crafters work together.

We also have many player run cities and some of the most talented Rpers and house builders.

So you should play Chesapeake because I play there

(Aww shoot now no ones gunna to play it)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sonoma.

I play there because that's where I started years ago around the time the Trinsic invasions started and just can't bring myself to leave. Also it's because I know Sonoma, its history, and know the guilds and a few of the people really well. Only problem is that most the people I did know have all left.

Maybe one day I may end up transferring with my main guy, if only temporarily to sample other shards. That is, of course, if I can bring myself to pay that much for the token :p

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
'twas long before my hour and it is the nature of our land the soil consumes all trace of time, with history fading into legend, but of all the shards Legends is unique, for its origins date back before UO, all the way back to 1984 and an early online RPG named Legends of Kesmai. Finally folded by EA in 2000, its community escaped the death of their native land and took refuge in this new and different world. But the name given to this land, "Legends", is a tribute to its ancient origins and the refugees who first populated it.

Those of us who now wander the sandy shores and tangled woods of Legends all know we come from different worlds, but in this peaceful land we have found a new home and the fellowship of this Britainnian culture. Legends is a land where a carpenter's name is still held in highest esteem, where there is special meaning in a phoenix's feathers, where shadows will rarely hold sway.

Our laws of nature are no different than those of other lands, our Luna is possessed of all the light and dark that have been seen in other shards of The Gem and I hear the trash-foo of Yew is just as colorful as other lands. I have no special authority to speak on behalf of my fellow residents, but in my travels I have crossed paths with poets and shepherds, peerless princesses and noble knights. Some grace the halls of glorious guilds, others humbly land alone, but settle here and all will judge you by what you bring to our legend.

Peace be with you.

S

Sweeney

'twas long before my time and it is the nature of our land the soil consumes all trace of time, with history fading into legend, but of all the shards Legends is unique, for its origins date back before UO, all the way back to 1984 and an early online RPG named Legends of Kesmai.
LoK rocked.

I'll add, I was so horrified at what I saw in UO 10 years after beta, I would have quit if it weren't for Siege.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I began on Catskills with my family in 1997 at the age of 10. Because of my young age, I spent most of those beginning years just wandering around the land while I took note of landmarks. I spent the Lizardman Invasion hiding in the tailor shop in West Britain, because my only character was a tailor and I was afraid to leave >.<

When I was about 13, I made my first fighter, Valoria. I'd named her after a city in one of the original Ultima games... she even had a horse named Ambrosha. I remember it took me forever to work that character up...

I took breaks on and off for awhile, trying different games, but I always returned to UO and always to Catskills :) For me I think it's the sentiment of seeing things like Kinship Village, and remembering seeing it when I was little.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SP!
Great peeps, no scripting, awesome economy... all things I love.

Started LS in 98, had a blast, many of my best memories are on LS. Used to play LS/siege combo but after aos I lost interest in playing LS, and have been 100% siege, and would quit UO without it.

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pacific. RL friend who introduced me to UO 11 years ago had his chars on Pacific.. so left me with little choice. (although i did play with his brother in Shadowclan on Cats for awhile back in the day) Both have since quit years ago, but I still find enjoyment in this game.

I play Pacific because of the memories.. Lots of n00b moments too. (like not knowing there was a moongate to Magincia, and sailed for an hour to get there) Pacific used to be a fun place back in the day. Before any Asian servers existed, a majority [asians] played Pacific. The ones from across the ocean would come out at night when all of us in the Americas are sleeping. Was interesting talking to and interacting with them on those late nights, almost a different world.

The RPing community was pretty small, but fun when it existed. All those old Seer 'blessed' additions are still around too.

Oh and all my stuff ;)

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sonoma - because of Queen Mum's cookies :)

hehe

Many many years ago, my friend and his brother moved from some place like Chessy, in search of a shard where they could actually place a house. They found Sonoma and later when they convinced me to play, I settled there as well and haven't ever regretted it. There are a lot of really really great people there. I also like the fact that it's a small and quiet shard. Overall, I just couldn't imagine being anywhere else *smiles*.

J

Jhym

Chesapeake

Origin-ally because it was one of the closer servers to dc according to my net checks at the time.

Once I started playing I met a few odd people here and there that gradually introduced me to others. Then after several years of battles, stories and a lot of wine, things quieted down year after year.

I pop up at random now and then at various events, both to see who is around and to just see who knows Chessie's history. It's always nice to settle in with old man Winfield and talk about the heydays of Paxlair as he works on the administrative issues of being a governor. Or take the teleporter to the Dragar's ice castle and shiver in the crystal heights. Or Mazrim's tower. Or wander some of the old towns looking for the remainder of those who used to live there. I was very sad to see Duir of Yew fall apart (had several concerts there), though some of the elements are still there, falling to ruin. And others. Nothing much to do, most people don't even remember the names of the towns, let alone those that visited.

I had many friends here and there (all of my "family" has had their own friends at times.) It's been interesting to rework myself and try new things in a familiar place.

I did try Seige at various points, but at the time I played on it I ran out of money and resources and had no way to earn any more. I think I had the 100 gold and a few ratty instruments that fell apart quickly. I met several people, but at the time the community was just beginning and I never would see a soul the times I'd log in. So I log in every once in a while and look around but pretty much don't play there. :wall:

Other shards I've wandered now and then, but really have not found them home.

So Chessie is my home for as long as she'll have me. I love that old lump of metal and electrons. :cheerleader:

T

Tazar

Atlantic for over 11 years. Never really even considered another - except when I first created my original account!

S

Stupid Miner

Lake Superior... because it's the best shard ever?

... yea that's probably it.

Airmid lives on my shard. (do i really need a second reason?)
We have an amazing community that bands together to do hunts just about every day of the week, we can organized events and not get griefed. We *have* events. The shard has an actual population :D. We have some of the best EMs out there. We're getting the Britannian Olympics going again soon.
The people are great; it's been awhile since I've run across a griefer or some other obnoxious idiot.
And besides, it's my home shard, i've lived through it's history. I've been the decorator for the seasonal festivals ever since about Spring of '05. I participated in the organized and highly successful march against Despise during the Brit invasion (first of the new ones). It's an awesome sight seeing about 50 players banding together and just slaughtering the invaders all the way back to despise level 2.
Too many great memories of this shard. And they're not just long-past memories, this stuff is still happening.

G

GhostGL

Greatlakes, it's great (it says so right in the name!). Theres MOA, CFC, etc. And the people i know who play on the shard.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Europa, because I'm English, so it's where I get best connection. But I tend to play solo pvm most of the time and so I'm not really affected by some of the things that annoy people so much.

Also Siege, where I feel valued for my crafter and the shop that she stocks. Actually most of my interaction with others stems from meetings arranged through the boards or chance encounters in game. I'm not much for being 'organised' into doing stuff.

But mainly, I play UO. I love it, I learn all I can and I share what knowledge have with anyone I think I can help.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That may be so, but Lake Superior is superior :lick:
Beat me to the punch! :lick:

Truth be told though, GL would be my second choice (great mates like CaesarDoP) and Sonoma would be my third (Fond memories of the Y and Dor's kindness).

I have been on LS since launch and it is truly my home away from home. No mater where I may roam there are always friends to welcome me back. (Aboo I am looking at you!) I am amazed that through all of life’s changes, good times and bad, I can still pick up a conversation with friends I have never met in real life as if we have been neighbors for years. UO is the only MMORPG I can say this about and I know I am not alone. I think that says a lot about UO, its community and its longevity.

R

RichDC

Great lakes (even though im english)

I started on this shard oh i cant even remeber how long ago now, and loved every minute i was there...really nice community!

I left and returned just over a year ago now having lost my account and found it unretrievable, one thing stuck in my mind that i think sums up our shard.

I started in Haven obviously (killing skeletons to make some gold) and once i had amased my fortune (100k i was there a while!) i went to Brit in search of some armour.

I asked around the bank looking to buy some GM crafted armour and weapons, within minutes a kind traveller (im sorry i forgot his name) took me to luna and BOUGHT me a full suit of virtue armour and a soul seeker and gave me a very nice Spell channeling no penalty HCI 8 DCI 13 shield!! Not to end it here he also then went and made me a full runebook of all dungeons and towns!

What did this kind stranger want??

That when i see a new player to help them as he helped me, to this day i have and will continue to as that is what this shard is to me...a community!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Catskills

Cats was the first shard I started out on, and the only one I've stayed on for any length of time. I started there in 2000 when a friend I worked with got me into UO. I think the reason we settled on Catskills is because it was closest (geography wise) to our RL locations, so we assumed we'd get less lag by playing a 'local' server. After a while I just got so invested in Cats (vendor houses, solid useable characters, pixel stuff) that I didn't see any reason to leave for another shard. I quit back in '04 to try out a few other games (SWG would have kept me if not for that POS combat upgrade that pretty much killed the game), but returned in '07. My friend was on her way out, so she left me everything (thats where I got my house at Destard). Without anyone to play with anymore I considered transfering to Atlantic for the higher population, but stayed on Cats because I had made a promise to keep the Dragon's Lair open. It wasn't long before I met Ally Oop and Barefoot Princess of SCB and began to pal along with them, which in turn introduced me to the One Circle Alliance. That coupled with my becoming more involved with the Catskills community via Stratics pretty much cemented my desire to stay on Catskills.

So I guess it boils down to a promise to an old friend, and the great community I've found in my new friends that keeps me on Catskills.
(that and I hated the thought having to remark all my runebooks if I changed shards :lick:)

Y

Yalp

Baja!

A shard where everyone knows your name, sand and Cervesa for all, where we stand on the shores and watch the sunset everyday. Where the spirit of Mahalo, Hang 10 and friendship resides. A shard where we don't charge for pets, gold and arties rain down for all in the streets, and we make sure no one is left behind. A place where cheaters and hackers have a hard time hiding amongst us.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* After reading another thread, I wanted to give everyone an opportunity to talk up the good things about their shards. It is nice to read these responses.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*smiles* After reading another thread, I wanted to give everyone an opportunity to talk up the good things about their shards. It is nice to read these responses.
then take the 'grumpy' off your mood, Kelmo :)

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remain duo sharded still. I am and will no doubt remain ChesaSiege. There are reasons for this though.

Upon Chesapeake as Lord Gareth and Jhym have stated there is HISTORY going back to nearly the birth of Ultima Online itself. I began on Chesapeake back in the day right before the lost lands were coming down the pike. A guild I was in way way back then oft defended PaxLair as it was our neighbors across the bridge there. And I DO like roleplaying in game especially with my very first ever created chr. in UO. So nothing is quite special as to hear someone like Mayor Gov. Winfield shout "hail my queen* to my QZ on Chesapeake.

The rich history of player run towns esp. fel side PaxLair where Lord British himself blessed a sign over one of the buildings...ie the history of UO with Richard Garriott is still alive there if ya look. Last year when SOMEONE pulled the April Fools joke that a Twr. fell in Pax that had stood since 98 I rushed to where the rubble was to have been located in Pax ready to mourn the passing of very rich history wondering why oh why did anyone just let it fall....a building created special back when EA UO actually helped create things into player run towns that were very very specially created unlike any other shard. When I got there I did find out it was an April Fools joke posted on the forums here and whilst overcoming my fainting and mourning glad to see the twr. still there...someone NEEDS TO DIE lol for that April Fools Day joke that even I fell for...cuz it upset me so that PaxLair the special towers would fall is horrid...so MUCH HISTORY yrs of it standing right there. . why would anyone let that happen there and I was glad it did NOT happen and was just a joke. Roleplayers history and my OWN uo history reside on that shard Chesapeake and yes ALL MY STUFFS too.

History players whom began or ya met along the way over time.. does not make the game..but history which is linked to your own entry timing into UO always remains special to me as well as any folks remaining that were around then remain special on both shards...so many old feluccan player run towns of Ches. and the original lost lands their citizens, are forever tied to my ches. characters...similarly are KNIGHTS tied to my birth on Siege...and Shire and Iantown..all thriving when I went to Siege but not thriving now, yet many of those whom were tied to those towns still play Siege ... ya are forever linked to *the past* sometimes or the friends ya met along the way at those times still playing, and that may be what keeps someone on any shards that which remains of that community. To see again folks gathering, all in kelmo's pub former Iantown quite recently.. was very special indeed. :)

In 2004 I did make a newbie on Siege..........and got hung up addicted to that shard TOO. I can not explain it...some of the old magic that was UO before ITEM$ LUNA and AOS and all that resides upon SIEGE...and smaller population makes for tighter community as well...back in 98 UO chesapeake every one knew every one too...were lots of folks playing but everyone seemed to know everyone else...and that is how Siege is everyone knows everyone else and I DO like that...everyone's rep yay or nay is molded made remade everyone knows whom they can or can not count upon even an enemy in *role* may be one you can count on more or less *OOC* out of chr. so to speak.

While roleplaying itself is not huge on Siege by any means, it does have the few pockets of folks whom do rpl yet. Siege also is more challenging...ya start with nothing and you work your chr. up to whatever ya wanted them to become...and you soon find you have as much STUFF there as ya have elsewhere. :) more of a challenge cuz it is more difficult ya loose more, ya die more.

I myself em ANTI INSURANCE on BOTH SHARDS I am not insured lol... but for myself it was part of what UO was originally about... building a citizen up in the pixel world wherever, will they ever survive will they ever own a home...will they ever have GP in the bank enough to one day maybe donate to some new new citizen...game to me was originally about CHALLENGES, facing all odds pre trammel my chrs. survived and made it on Chesapeake in gp, things stuffs property and reputation...could I do so again from scratch on .......that HARD SHARD fel only ruleset of Siege ? Found out I could...now I can no more leave those chrs. behind than my original ones...I like em all...upon the shard their pixel lives live and or die and those shards be Chesapeake and Siege BOTH.

We were not supposed to be born into the UO World on some silver platter.

We were to face challenges, hardships, newbieness, and to be challenged, we could die, be killed, loose stuff, and we are to work & keep at it develop our skills or change em, to make our chrs. viable, at whatever skills, wherever they *we* choose to create and live out their pixel lives.

I did so back in the day UO on Chesapeake and in 2004 also tried to do the same again on Siege...so it is my chrs. their struggles, that they each went thru to *become* or to grow up and mature, to get their own earned reputations, upon two shards...those pixel chrs. are why I remain...two sharded, the newbie Queen Zen of 98 a warrior to this day, pre trammel Chesapeake, and the Miranda of 2004 pure defenseless crafter Siege are my two most favorite chrs. to play.

EACH chr. is very very unalike, yet they struggled as newbies each one once and *made it*, I felt they succeeded* where I put them...cuz UO lets us DO this... and that is what makes UO still addictive to many customers. They build our world, we make our places IN this world and grow very fond of our lil pixel peeps lives where we grew them up, which may be very unalike per shard we play upon. To me that is what Ultima Online is all about..making a pixel life for whatever chr. we create wherever and feeling we succeeded at it, did not give up...and thus we WIN UO by becoming..as we had hoped for our lil pixel citizens wherever we placed them to become respected pixel citizens.
So pardon the long post novel but I enjoy BOTH SHARDS for their own uniquenesses, rich history and people *communities* playing upon them so vastly different yet oft quite alike.
I am and no doubt will remain... a citizen of... ChesaSiege. :)

K

Kazar

Atlantic. A friend talked me into playing the game and now have been playing for 7+ years. I do play a couple of other shards but I guess I stay here because I know more people.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Baja!

A shard where everyone knows your name, sand and Cervesa for all, where we stand on the shores and watch the sunset everyday. Where the spirit of Mahalo, Hang 10 and friendship resides. A shard where we don't charge for pets, gold and arties rain down for all in the streets, and we make sure no one is left behind. A place where cheaters and hackers have a hard time hiding amongst us.
I think I'll have whatever it is she's drinking.

But seriously, Baja is a great shard, lots of community. Great groups to go hunting with, party with or just spend some quiet time a top the brit bank with. We have a little bit of everything for everyone. Baja isn't the biggest by far, but it's comfortable. Not being so crowded leaves some areas a little easier to hunt in. But it's not so dead that you never see anyone. For me anyway. Baja is just right. One big happy family.

W

Warrior of Time

Too may junk chars on Pacific. Went to GL. Stayed there ever since.

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Folks,

A local friend (from our D&D group) told me about Ultima Online (he had been in the Beta). He knew I loved PC based games (Krondor, Diablo, & such). At that time I was on AT&T dial up modem for internet access.

I bought UO and installed it. Being in Ohio, I initially started characters on Atlantic, Great Lakes, and Catskill. Not long after, my friend moved out of town where no broadband was available. He quit playing UO. I however was already hooked. I loved UO.

I met someone one day who invited me to make a character on Baja. I created a character as a Squire for my new Baja friend. He mentored me, helped reduce my learning curve, and taught me ways to prosper in this new world. I met others who I became good friends with. Several role-players, and even more gamers uninterested in roleplay.

I put down roots on Baja. I filled my account with characters and eventually added more accounts and many more characters. Friends left, some merely disappeared. Thankfully, I have never found folks lacking on Baja to become new friends.

I enjoy Baja's warriors, bards, tamers, mages, cooks, pirates, etc, etc. I found Guilds I enjoy and admire. Some sadly wax and wane, some died out. New ones form.

I imagine I could find all these things on other shards. I have in fact met some folks from other shards who absolutely amaze me. However, all my houses are on Baja. I worked hard over many years to acquire my houses. Leaving them for other shards simply has no appeal to me.

I truly hope UO outlasts me. If I outlast UO, I do not know if I would take up another MMORPG. If I do it would likely be something similar to D&D, or LOTR. Regardless, I choose to play only one MMORPG at a time.

May the Virtues ever embrace thee,

Elladan

L

Lord Drakelord

Sonoma! Why? Because it a nice small shard where I don't have 5 million folks fighting for looting rights.

A

Anon McDougle

Origin because all 18 of us get along 99.9% of the time !!

Lady Arwen

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Legends!

I play on Legends because we are a very tight knit shard and we all get along very well. My guild there is like family to me. It always has been, and it always will be. I started on Europia when I first started playing UO but transfered to legends after about three months because I followed my guild there. That guild has long since been gone, but I am very glad I followed them to Legends and found out what a great shard it is. Legends will always be my home. :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lake Austin, because everyone knows your name (at least outside Fel), and everyone's so knowledgable and generous.

LA started with a pioneer mentality, not a wild west one (the type all the pre-Trammel shards had to deal with), and a lot of people came to it to start anew in 2002. Its history is filled with names most people on other shards would recognize from Stratics, and their legacies (for example - Crazy Joe's library, rebuilt every time it fell, in nearly the same spot by those who did the IDOCs - how often do things like that happen on other shards?).

It's a place where a person can walk up to you, and give you a box of 110s and +5 stats out of nowhere, and total strangers will help a new tamer get his first cu or Greater dragon. I personally grab someone with a newer character, in need of better armor, and pull stuff off my vendors to outfit them, about every 2-3 months, or grab some low-end hammers and try to bang out a weapon for them.

R

Ravensgard Dragon

I am feeling like I have two home shards.

Europa since I am Swedish Northman, and I was part of the Europa-UO project during the huge petitions that took place (back in '99 was it?) to get European shards. I was thinking about just this after having returned back to my home shard and got the crazy idea of trying to get a hold on Baron Darkmoor (ClanUK), Lord Ogodei (ERPA), Lord Balberith (UO Germany) and also a french participant whom I have forgotten the name of.

However, I started with my character Axl Doombringer on Chesapeake at the release of UO in 1997. I chosed Chessie since it was the closest server to Sweden, and although lag haunted me and the few fellow Swedes I met and traveled with, I got hooked on the game on Chessie. My viking warrior guild Warlords of Doombringer (WoD) was also born on Chessie and was moved over to Europa as the new lands opened.

Together with my german friend Lord Inquisitor and many other friends I reformed WoD on Europa and the warrior guild prospered, was very active and did finally become part of UT - Viking Nation of Europa. I met my wife Nyte Doombringer AKA Nytewynde Dragon on Europa in 1999 while participating leading the vikings and Nyte has been my wingmate ever since and is still in our current guild Vikings of Midgård, also on the Europa Shard

Stuff.. I used to pull a joke back in the days if somebody asked me how much assets I had - "In my bank vault I have 200 gold and a pair of sandals"
I have played on Europa and Chessie for the community and friends, and I still am on Europa. These two communities of beautiful people are more worth to me than any gold in the world. I feel like I have been very lucky meeting so many nice and funny people amongst the hundreds of players I have met in various guilds and projects on these two shards.

N

Nyte Doombringer

Well I too was playing a game called LOK. I played it for a couple years on Gamestorm. I had friends there that where playing UO as it had just come out. They where playing on Lake Superior. They kept trying to get me to go out and buy UO and play it but I loved LOK and was very new to computers so I was not so sure. I think this was end of 97.

Then they said they where moving as a new shard Europa was opening. We where all in the US but that didt matter. So I agreed to get the game and join them on the new shard. So I started playing UO in Feb of 98 and I was still playing LOK. Just as someone else said, EA bought out Gamestorm and closed LOK.

We had our first tower on Ice and being a new shard it was one of the first towers placed. The guild worked night and day to get the money for it. My first time getting pked was on Ice too. I was so mad. I decided I was not into this pk stuff and became a merchant.

I ended up having shops everywhere for many years. So I cont on playing UO for the next 6 years non stop. Had a break for a few years and of course found my way back again.

Europa has always been my home. I even live in Sweden now since I kinda hooked up with the Viking that posted above me, so playing on Europa was a good choice back then.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My home is Great Lakes.....

Why? Well when I first started playing long ago, I started a character on LS.... but I never saw hardly anyone and those I did see were ... well rude to me.

I started another character on Great Lakes and within the first half hour of play I'd already met 3 or 4 very nice people.... (Now they didn't give me anything but friendly advice but they were pleasant enough to chat with as they too were fairly new)...

The only thing that bothered me my first few months on the shard was there wasn't a patch anywhere to place a home and the smallest of shacks was a whopping 6 or 7 million gold.... (Which back then was way more than I could ever gather)

I recall I had dial up in those early days.... which basically kept me close to town... the service I had was some of the worlds worst I'm sure........ I would be on for about an hour then off for 20 min.... then on for awhile then off again... over and over all evening... I tried everything I could even had a second phone line put in to "reduce the noise" in my line... nothing helped... until they finally got cable internet!

In those early days I sought out crafting because it was something I could do close to town.... I finally made enough money to buy myself a small tower just south of Yew..... and then I got new neighbors!!!! They were terrible! The Jukka invaded Yew leaving me dead more often than not... I recall one time I had a Plague Beast Lord on me and I managed to produce a gate and I'll be darned if that Plague Beast didn't send me a package! Right though the gate I swear it followed me dropped me dead that spit ball did right on the steps of my little tower....

I finally sought out more of what was available in the land when I read right here on stratics about "Story night" at the "Tales and Ales"... it was right there in Yew where I lived!.... Well that for me was the start of my love for role-play and Great Lakes.... I met a fellow by the name of Alex McQuinn..... nice young man... taught me all sorts of things history of the shard.... everything.... he showed me all around even took me into Fel and unbelievably I didn't get killed!.... It was he who convinced me to run for "Secretary of Yew".... Which I did... and I won! I was so shocked... not nearly as shocked though as I was about 3 months later when our Mayor quit and I found out I was the "interum Mayor".... From that day on for the next 5 or 6 years I was the Mayor of Yew.... and I loved every min of it... I still live in Yew though I now make my home in the player run town of Newcastle as well.... but Yew always holds a place in my heart......

My Theatre still stands in the clearing just south of the gate... and it's still my home.... I tried once to move to another shard..... I moved to Legends... It was fun for awhile but.... I missed my home. I missed knowing where everything was... the best shops.... the nicest homes.... my friends... my Theatre.... The High Council.... My friends Ra'Dian and Silverbrook..... so I knew what I had to do..... I packed up things on Legends and moved back home to GL's.....

Oh I have characters on all the other shards... but they just aren't home to me.... I know the history of my home..... I know where to find a good deal if I need... and when I'm out and about I always run across a familiar face.... and that is why I adore GL... and I know it's my home.... I could not ever leave it... (Besides with several accounts it's really expensive to move.... and there just isn't anywhere else I'd rather be)....

Oh I travel from time to time to other shards.... using some of my other characters here or there.... but they just never feel quite like home....

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only on Siege can you PK your favorite Mod even the sheep get in to the action.

V

von Beck

Oceania because I ping good there... would like to play siege but UO + (ping > 200) = not fun

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As an internet noob, a player named Zemus sent us some pics of a game he was playing, since all I knew how to do at the time was sit around in a yahoo chat room :p
Looked interesting, I thought "nice graphics" ran out and bought it. Yup it was on shelves :) Played Atlantic where Zemus was, made quite a few friends, bought T2A when it was released, and kept playing. Then a couple of years ago, the guild I was in decided to move to Legends, so off we went. We landed, built houses, got settled a bit, then they left and went back to Atlantic, and I stayed with the new friends :)
But tongue-in-cheek, I still tell everyone I play Legends because my old guild took me snipe hunting :p

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The lack of lag compared to the other shards. ~15 Ping to Oceania, 130+ for everywhere else.

F

Farscape

Oceania when I get to play been there from the beginning still on dial up still ping over 100 other shards would take me a week to log in and I also do not like walking around upside down watched it grow watched it develope now watching it decay I still enjoy my time when on
If scripters dupers finally get booted then it would be the best place to be but sadly while this rule is rampent we all curl up awaiting armagedon :sad4:

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Per the TOS im not allowed to name my shard. The reason I play it is because its old school UO, Pre aos, Fel only ruleset. Combat is balanced you dont need millions to compete little to no bugs/exploits, and people are everywhere like the old days. Alot like siege from launch to pub16 just a production shard setting. Before I played Siege and Pacific.

Another cool reason heres our newest update:

New Veteran Rewards, Phase I:

House Storage:

* 3 Years: 5% Storage Bonus
* 4 Years: 10% Storage Bonus
* 5 Years: 20% Storage Bonus

Increased Check Size:

* 2 Years: 2,000,000 gp
* 5 Years: 5,000,000 gp

Bank Capacity:

* 1 Year: 150 Items
* 2 Years: 175 Items
* 3 Years: 200 Items
* 4 Years: 225 Items
* 5 Years: 250 Items

Craft Bonus:

1% per year, 5% maximum.

Miscellaneous:

Harrower:

Defeating the Harrower will reward one of the vanquishers with a random piece of a special suit of armor.

Newbie/Veteran Areas:

A framework is now in place. However, the areas are not yet ready to be opened.

Salmar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started on LS almost 8 years ago to the day. My brother played from Beta days, and had quit a year before I started. He played LS and it was one of the better pings so I started there. I met some great guys in a guild called KMA. They helped me GM my first character, a warrior, and I have lots of great memories of them. They all moved to Sonoma to start anew, and as I really only had one character semi decent at that point, I moved there as well.

Lots of great people on Sonoma. KHV or KVH was an awesome guild/ally, and we had lots of fun, but after time lots of my guildmates were leaving, and I ventured back to Lake Superior to rebuild the original KMA guild. We had lots of fun, and made new allies, and changed guild names, but kept many friendships from Lake Superior, and have and will continue to play there.

The people of my current guild, B^C, are some of my longest and best online friends. Have met more than one in person in real life.

A guildmate introduced me to his sister, Airmid, on her first day in UO, and we've been good friends since. Stupid Miner was in both of our guilds, and I have characters in both, but really the community as a whole is why I continue to stick with UO, and with Lake Superior.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Drachenfels, which is NOT a German shard (it's physically located in London just like Europa).

Why? Because that's where I started long time ago, with my then BF. The BF is long gone, but I'm still there, not as much as I used to, that's true, but still.

My biggest problem with playing UO these days are systems an subsystems of everything, calculator needed for gear, weird raw materials, and the "access" things (ex. to go to doom one has to collect bones, kill the bone deamon, get the skull, use the skull - only to find that it's all empty, no party to join tonight...).

So, yeah, I'm oldschool nostalgic type longing for GM armour, magic resist used to resist magic and other things of old including newbiefied clothes and daggers, just to name one thing that was coold and useful but got removed for no good reason.
Oh, and my friends... If only I could have back all the cool people I used to play with.
*sigh*

Nowadays, when I log in I don't really know what to do, so I wander around mainland (Tram or Fel) but this is a sad excercise - so many houses are missing, so much empty space, so little vendors, not to mention people.