• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

you know what would make a neat expansion.... ORCS!

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
hehehehhe

i was sitting at work the other day and day dreaming (like im oft to do)
and i was thinking.... id love to have a necklace made of ears (not in RL, in game.... im not THAT wierd!)

then i thought.... you just cant have a necklace made of ears, you have to have something behind that... then i got to thinking, who would wear a necklace made of ears.

orcs!
then i got to thinking.... orcs.
hell, now that would be an expansion!
they allready have a huge cave that could be added onto to make it a town.
shops and ect.

you could do neat stuff like orc warriors could have hella huge HP and STR but be capped at like 10 for int, hahahahhaa.
then you could have orc magic, whats that... shaman's
could have some neat spells.... fly infestation like when ya attack the meer mages.

could be arch enemys to the elfs.

so elfs would do double damage to orcs and vic-versa as a natural thing.

plus it would be fun to have a orc toon!

and weapon.... oh could you have fun there!
definatlly should be the next expansion.

just look at all the people that RP orcs as it is and over the history of UO.

then i can have my necklace made of ears.
*sigh*

R

Rubican

Sounds like fun but I think if the next expansion (after SA) isn't a pirate type expansion people will mutiny.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehehehhe

and i was thinking.... id love to have a necklace made of ears (not in RL, in game.... im not THAT wierd!)

then i thought.... you just cant have a necklace made of ears, you have to have something behind that... then i got to thinking, who would wear a necklace made of ears.

orcs!
shops and ect.

you could do neat stuff like orc warriors could have hella huge HP and STR but be capped at like 10 for int, hahahahhaa.
could have some neat spells.... fly infestation like when ya attack the meer mages.

*sigh*

Can't say I'm big on it I'd prefer to see playable Meer, Juka and Gargoyles before the current elves and possible orcs. Something about it all being done before and the fact that originally all players being human gave us a sense of identity.

Can't say I'm even thrilled about the upcoming gargoyles. They look nothing like those from previous games, but that's another story.

T

T_Amon_from_work

I'd like to see how the Gargoyle implementation is done/handled before going for more races. I would also like to see the races with their own language (of sorts) that no one could understand except if a) they were of the same race or b) were skilled in "Interpretation". Hmmm, new skill.

If orcs were to be a race would the player also be able to be a Brute? Based on above, they'd have their own language ... might make for interesting times. :eyes:

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like fun but I think if the next expansion (after SA) isn't a pirate type expansion people will mutiny.
LOL after the last 2 San Diego Townhalls and the discussion on these boards, I'm inclined to agree with you there. People are passionate about their pirates. I for one would much rather see Pirates than Orcs (nothing personal Poo)

Oriana

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
what.... Orcs cant be pirates???!!!???!!!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would rather see them allow *Poo* back in the game. :) I understand the desire to see green, just dont forget about the brown.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
hahahahhahaha

ewwwwww!

hahahhaha, damn that made me laugh my ass off!

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree that there is a HUGE outcry for pirates in game or at least an expansion that has to do with the seas. Face it the seas in UO are way underused at this time and they take up a huge part of the maps. Many players are yelling for new ship types and ships that move in a different way than tile by tile. If they found a way for players to breath underwater there is a world under there that many want to explore. New undersea cities to visit, and fighting well known sea creatures such as shark or squids has been a dream of mine for years. Who would not love to fight a ghost ship full of skeleton pirates, or have your ship boarded by a swarm of dead sea lizardmen. The Pirates movies just made a sea expansion only cooler and more interesting for many players.
How many people wouldn’t kill to design their own ship like we design houses now? To choice how many masts it will have and the color of the sail along with maybe the artwork on the sail? Some people even want cannons on their ships. (Though I think any form of powder weapons is just wrong in UO.) I wouldn’t mind maybe a ballista type weapon that damages sails and slows down ships. Let the Devs come up with a system where players could have ship to ship combat in a fun way. Make certain type small ships faster and others larger ships slow that carry more cargo and people. Give ships multi-levels that the players can go up and down on. Let players place furniture on ships like a house and lock it down. There is just so much more they could do with a expansion for the Seas then one about Orcs. Sorry.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only concern with orcs is that they are terribly generic ... they seem to have invaded more fantasy worlds than even elves.

What could UO do with orcs to make them unique to this setting?

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL after the last 2 San Diego Townhalls and the discussion on these boards, I'm inclined to agree with you there. People are passionate about their pirates. I for one would much rather see Pirates than Orcs (nothing personal Poo)
Yup, the dev team has been getting an earful about pirates at every town hall since the first town hall. Oriana knows this, but for those who may not... the dev team fully acknowledges that by far and away a nautical/pirate (what good are pirates without a navy to chase them?!) is the most requested expansion.

And the dev team would love to do it, just that it would be impossible with the current server code and 2D client.

what.... Orcs cant be pirates???!!!???!!!
That's the beauty of pirates... they can be any race.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehehehhe

orcs!
Gah no! No more Tolkien! Keep any new available races in UO such as Meer,Gargs,Ratmen ect ect.

How would you use weapon specials? Anyway if you want to be an orc then just wear the orcish kin mask.
Spell Weaving.

You can RP that easy enough without the the new race.

EoO and attack elf npc's while wearing studded leather,thigh boots,double ax and an orcish kin mask.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont forget about the new rp-faces of the KR-client. Orcs, Meers, Jukas ... all are already there. (Basicly Pirates too ... but actually playing in pirate style is somewhat pointless.)

W

Warrior of Time

How many people wouldn’t kill to design their own ship like we design houses now? To choice how many masts it will have and the color of the sail along with maybe the artwork on the sail? Some people even want cannons on their ships. (Though I think any form of powder weapons is just wrong in UO.) I wouldn’t mind maybe a ballista type weapon that damages sails and slows down ships. Let the Devs come up with a system where players could have ship to ship combat in a fun way. Make certain type small ships faster and others larger ships slow that carry more cargo and people. Give ships multi-levels that the players can go up and down on. Let players place furniture on ships like a house and lock it down. There is just so much more they could do with a expansion for the Seas then one about Orcs. Sorry.
We already have cannons as rewards. I would thnk the next step would place them on ships.
Also I was thinking they was used to defend magencia, but I could be wrong.

I would like to see them put the Frigate, and Gallion both in the game.

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We already have cannons as rewards. I would thnk the next step would place them on ships.
Also I was thinking they was used to defend magencia, but I could be wrong.

I would like to see them put the Frigate, and Gallion both in the game.
Yes the reward cannon is mostly decorative and for show, and the one on Magencia was NPC controlled. I'm afraid giving players working cannons that they control would be a recipe for disaster. I can already see players cruising the coastlines firing the cannon at any monster or player they see from the safety of their ship. The only way a cannon on a ship would work was to have it only affect fellow ships, and to make reloads for it expensive so they could be a gold sink. Plus that opens the door to players saying we got cannons on ships why can't we have flintlock firearms now, or working cannons for their houses. I am sure that is a path the Dev team does not want to go down.

As for orcs I remember that at one time the Dev team bent over backwards for people who Role played Orcs on Catskills and gave them the Fel Orc fort near Yew years ago. Plus they also built a empty Orc Fort for RP purposes in Malas and that was filled by large houses of non-orc playing players if I remember correctly. Its a shame the "Shadow Clan Orcs" on Catskills just went away, because I am sure they would of been fully behind the Orc idea.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Gah no! No more Tolkien! Keep any new available races in UO such as Meer,Gargs,Ratmen."

We already have Elves, at least let us for fairness sake have Orcs now.
And we're getting Gargs.. so there.

"How would you use weapon specials? Anyway if you want to be an Orc then just wear the orcish kin mask."

Think Stamina as Mana for Orcs? Or just forget about the Mana limitation and there you go.
And it's not the same wearing a mask OR using a Body Type in KR. It's silly for both Pirate and Orc fans to ask them to use Body Types and Masks if they wanna be something other than Human or Elf..

"EoO and attack Elf NPC's while wearing studded leather,thigh boots,double ax and an orcish kin mask."

Open your mind and cancel casting EoO on the OP's ideas.

"You can RP that easy enough without the the new race."

Not everyone would want Orcs just to RP. Some people simply WANNA BE ORCS. And have their traits and skills.
And in the end..

An ORC expansion would be a WARRIOR expansion. We need this. We need all the love we can get and all the skills we can get. Dual, 2Hander Skills, etc etc. And Orcs would make awesome PIRATES and probably open up the way to introduce whatever "Pirate" skills there could be. 'Cuz when Orcs manage to build something that actually floats they only use it to raid other things that float.

I'm tired of every expansion being focused on Mana and Spells.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't mean to denigrate or ridicule your ideas.

But I do have to point out the potential reactions of your fellow UO players should such an expansion ever be issued.

"They're just trying to be WoW."

"Orcs are not original."

"They're just trying to be Warhammer."

"This sucks, I'm leaving, no you can't have my stuff because I'm going to be back in 6 months anyway."

"Orcs?! We need [speedhack fix/duping fix/better GMs/less lag/less scripters/more scripters/etc.] and they give us orcs? This sucks, I'm leaving, no you can't have my stuff because I'm going to be back in 6 months anyway, and if I'm not you can count on me to keep posting for years after I leave."

-Galen's player

W

Warrior of Time

Yes the reward cannon is mostly decorative and for show, and the one on Magencia was NPC controlled. I'm afraid giving players working cannons that they control would be a recipe for disaster. I can already see players cruising the coastlines firing the cannon at any monster or player they see from the safety of their ship. The only way a cannon on a ship would work was to have it only affect fellow ships, and to make reloads for it expensive so they could be a gold sink. Plus that opens the door to players saying we got cannons on ships why can't we have flintlock firearms now, or working cannons for their houses. I am sure that is a path the Dev team does not want to go down.
Who said they have to work?

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing to note:

"As his (Mondain) power grew he gained more control over the minions of darkness. He created many strange, hybrid creatures in his dark laboratories, including minotaurs, lizardmen, orcs and goblins."

This is why Mondain's Legacy contained minotaurs. Orcs have been in UO since the beginning with players playing them with goat helms and orc masks for years. While they are generic, they have more history in the original games than elves (who themselves were in at least the first game if I remember correctly).

Meer and Juka are more recent creations (designed for Ultima Online 2). Gargoyles are still the big race that seems the most Ultima to me since they play a big role in several games. Again, I wouldn't mind seeing a whole army of different races/species. Why not the dwarves and bobbits of the original game? Joke.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frankly, we don't need more races. This is UO, remember, not WoW/EQ/DAoC/Warhammer/etc.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing to note:

"As his (Mondain) power grew he gained more control over the minions of darkness. He created many strange, hybrid creatures in his dark laboratories, including minotaurs, lizardmen, orcs and goblins."

This is why Mondain's Legacy contained minotaurs. Orcs have been in UO since the beginning with players playing them with goat helms and orc masks for years. While they are generic, they have more history in the original games than elves (who themselves were in at least the first game if I remember correctly).

Meer and Juka are more recent creations (designed for Ultima Online 2). Gargoyles are still the big race that seems the most Ultima to me since they play a big role in several games. Again, I wouldn't mind seeing a whole army of different races/species. Why not the dwarves and bobbits of the original game? Joke.
I actually wouldn't mind Dwarves and don't understand the dislike many players seem to have of them.

All fretting about my fellow players aside, orcs would be an entirely appropriate basis upon which to build an expansion.

A playable race? I'd question that. I'd question it a lot.

But an expansion build upon them somehow, expanding on the Orc Cave dungeon, having different varieties, and having an Orc Town or something?

I'd be 100% on board with that I think.

-Galen's player

E

Evilminion

Weirdly, I'd rather play a lizardman! Or a lizardwoman, as the case may be. They could have the same night-sight ability as elves, since they like to live underground, plus a few nifty abilities all their own...

*dreaming here, heh*

Damage bonuses for being in a party with other lizardmen. Hey, if hellhounds get a pack bonus, so should lizardmen. They're very social with their own kind; you almost always see them in a group.

Increased ability to tame or herd underground creatures.

Once you reach Elder rank in any skill, you "discover a connection with your draconic ancestors" and grow wings. They'd work just like the gargoyles' flying ability, or better still, allow you to fly over water as well.

This would offset the fact that no animal except a swamp dragon would allow a lizardman to ride it.

Once you reach Legendary in magic or any weapon skill, you "deepen your connection with your draconic ancestors" and develop the ability to breathe fire. This would have a countdown timer like some talismen for the next use.

On the downside... lizardmen wouldn't be able to wear pants. Bummer, but that tail just gets in the way. So it's skirts, kilts, or au naturale for the scaly folk.

Oh, and I want a necklace of ears, too!

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually wouldn't mind Dwarves and don't understand the dislike many players seem to have of them.

All fretting about my fellow players aside, orcs would be an entirely appropriate basis upon which to build an expansion.

A playable race? I'd question that. I'd question it a lot.

But an expansion build upon them somehow, expanding on the Orc Cave dungeon, having different varieties, and having an Orc Town or something?

I'd be 100% on board with that I think.

-Galen's player
I think the Bobbit race was more the joke. A hobbit/halfling/gnome clone with one of the more humorous names in UO history. Dwarves aren't that bad, but they are never high on my list. I usually only play them in games where they give decent mechanical bonuses. I have a similar feeling toward elves.

Orcs always have the problem that they tend to be viewed as an "evil" species. Most fantasy worlds love to take for granted that some species are just rotten to the core. I personally don't think this is the case in UO: in UO lore, orcs and goblins were just humans crossed with dogs (if I remember correctly).

I think playable orcs wouldn't be a problem. People roleplaying orcs has been seen since the start. Mechanics aside, orcs are just a slightly uglier humans. I've actually started slowly working on an orc character, and it is fortunate that there are enough things out there to make playing an orc easier than playing most other monsters.

L

Lore Master

sounds good but make it after sa and the pirate expansion come to be. i think instead of a ear necklace it would be a necklace made out of fang like teeth just makes more sense to me but good idea none the less.

D

Dicimiie

Weirdly, I'd rather play a lizardman! Or a lizardwoman, as the case may be. They could have the same night-sight ability as elves, since they like to live underground, plus a few nifty abilities all their own...

*dreaming here, heh*

Damage bonuses for being in a party with other lizardmen. Hey, if hellhounds get a pack bonus, so should lizardmen. They're very social with their own kind; you almost always see them in a group.

Increased ability to tame or herd underground creatures.

Once you reach Elder rank in any skill, you "discover a connection with your draconic ancestors" and grow wings. They'd work just like the gargoyles' flying ability, or better still, allow you to fly over water as well.

This would offset the fact that no animal except a swamp dragon would allow a lizardman to ride it.

Once you reach Legendary in magic or any weapon skill, you "deepen your connection with your draconic ancestors" and develop the ability to breathe fire. This would have a countdown timer like some talismen for the next use.

On the downside... lizardmen wouldn't be able to wear pants. Bummer, but that tail just gets in the way. So it's skirts, kilts, or au naturale for the scaly folk.

Oh, and I want a necklace of ears, too!
But if you died during PvP, your opponent could skin you for 12 spined leather.

L

Lore Master

sounds good but make it after sa and the pirate expansion come to be. i think instead of a ear necklace it would be a necklace made out of fang like teeth just makes more sense to me but good idea none the less.
A necklace of human teeth would make sense too meaning we are its prey.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehehehhe

orcs!
shops and ect.

*sigh*

i'll name mine Thrall, he'll be a warchief. he'll rule orgrimmar with an iron fist and....

...wait, wrong game.

M

miss_samara

Ha! I was talking to a guy in Luna the other day, and he said the exact same thing.

His reasoning is that Orcs are funny, and Gargoyles are not.

T

Turdnugget

I think i'd take Minotaur as a playable race compared to Orcs. It makes me think of the big burly guys from the Chronicles of Narnia... the issue is what they'd do with run speed and mounts. Since Orcs aren't really known for riding anything...

They couldn't make it a passive thing otherwise there would be some jacked up templates and there would be lots of complaints.

I do think that having, not necessarily an expansion that you buy, but implement something like the whole Vanguard thing. But leave it indefinately. With orcs... expand the town, different kinds of orcs, better drops. Perhaps even an orc champion spawn near that town (Fel side) Orcs, dire wolves, orc bombers, orc mages, orc captains, orc brute, orc scout...? So not only do you have the spawn to do, but you have to fight through the peons at the entrance to get to the altar area to start the spawn.

Give some better loot so there aren't just certain spots being camped all the time. Back in the day, the orc fort by Cove was the place to be. It wielded pretty good loot. Now it's just, empty.

And using the orc fort could be a good set up for a pirate expansion... since it's got the docks there and what not. They could implement orc npc raiding ships... that sails the borders of the orc fort and Cove and what not...Every so often they could have an ongoing raid on the town of Cove. Like Vanguard but indefinately... w/some decent items you could get. Perhaps item drops like... an orcish bow: heavy damage + other mods...and blunt weapons and big 2handed swords. I think it'd give at least some way/motivation for people wanting to RP w/orcs + having to defend a town and get rewarded. Make the spawn there harder... more hps + more damage + better loot.

I definately think they could do a LOT more with orcs even if it isn't a playable race. I know this isn't EQ or WoW. But honestly, people will only enjoy playing a certain race for so long. If 'any' new comers want to play UO, more than one race might be more appealing to them if they've played other games where you have more races to choose from. I think the elves clothing/armor looks lame...the darkwood suit looks like an armored sumo wrestler. I would also like to see MORE hair styles. I mean frick, with the Samurai Empire... kinda hard to make a samurai looking character w/the right hair/facial hair. The ponytail and vandyke as is right now... just doesn't cut it.