• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

You "2D People" are holding UO back

red sky

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Screw the new 3D bs. 3D is only good for first person games IMO. I've tried the KR several times and I've played other games who have switched to the completely 3D stuff and it's just not the same. I believe when the graphics are changed, the game is changed, and UO's 2D graphics are what make it original. Originality is what has kept this game alive for so long anyhow.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is difficult for me.

I essentially agree with some of the op's core ideas. But I strongly disagree with the tone and some of the assumptions he has made.

I think a civilized discussion is the only way that the two sides of the fence will ever come to terms, ever.

But it's exausting, and I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, no matter how well I try to word my thoughts and feelings.
Ah, someone after my own heart! I believe that civilized discussion is the correct way too.

Bara, I know exactly how you are feeling :D But don't give up!

red sky

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I might give up 2D if they could sort of 'ween' me off of it with a 3D client that looked an awful lot like 2D
This is understandable. The original 3D when AOS first came out was awesome in my opinion. I don't even know why they decided to get rid of it. It must of been because a switch of leadership or something. I remember it getting tweaked and the paper doll looked like something someone on acid created. I still remember that UO: Third Dawn box; it brought tears to my eyes. Here are some pix I found courtesy of Google. I had difficulty finding the original 3D paper doll that looks awesome. It seems almost like a conspiracy to clear all traces of its existence.

UO: Third Dawn Graphics

UO: Crappy 3D Graphics (After Third Dawn)

UO: KR

Some Random 3D Kool Looking UO Thing

The Infamous Assassination of Lord British (for giggles)

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the 4th one UO2/Odessy? I remember there was a 3D fan conversion as well.

N

Nyte Doombringer

I would love a 3D UO but come on KR is just an attempt. If they would make a new game using a new engine, such as they day with WO, OMG i would so be there. Until then I am fine with 2d. I have played tons of 3d games and graphics dont make the game for me its the community and gameplay.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So much bull**** i have never read here.

Flaming 2d ppl, who are crying ingame "speeder", because iam using a much better performaned KR client.

Sorry .... a UO player 2d, who complains about graphics....

Please come back to the truth, we are all UO players, there are ppl who want to use 2d ok and others who like to use KR!

I no longer can hear the criers uhmm 2d here and the engine is bad, please design UO new and you know what a massive work it is!

And looking to the KR screenshot it isnt a miss, it is a good port of UO to the gamebyro engine, it is clear that there are bugs because UO has millions of items, gumps, animations, etc..

D

Drawde2

And I don't think EA is "afraid" to explore new engines as much as they are afraid to spend money period. I don't think EA has much experience in MMOs compared to other companies which may be why we get under funded games and/or lacky expansions and half ass immitations (UO3D/KR).
Close, but not quite. EA is a corporation, just like the banks. And the people running them tend to do the same things, like how some of those people running the banks gave out multimillion dollar bonuses to themselves AFTER recieving money from the U.S. government to get back up and running. They want the money, period, and aren't willing to spend any unless you can prove they'll get more in return.

It's the same reason that we loose funding to the games after being aquiredby them, especially form Quality Assurance and Customer Service. The more "profit" they can make, the more money they can justify giving themselves for making it. And many of them won't be there for more than a few years, so they don't care about the longterm consequences.

R

Ravahan

rtl

Good to see that the thread got a bit less heated. Btw, checked out your site, Dojin. Looks well put together.

All this talk of KR being managable these days, I realized that I hadn't actually tried any of the user mods or anything, and just gave up on it running on my machine completely. I spent a couple of hours patching KR today, and I'll tinker with it later and see if I can't get it running. I would love that! I think the last time I messed with it it was still being worked on...

I deactivated my main account after 3d was killed, but tried to play in KR several times throughout its development. I remember the last day I logged in for a very long time, I logged on my treasure hunter to do a map after finally getting the lag to a managable level, and the map just showed up as a grey square. I posted about it, found out it was a known issue, and then I went full time to FFXI for.. uh.. well a long time.

I really do hate 2d, but I'm playing it anyway right now because I enjoy UO. I hope that, eventually, if EA makes the business decision to stop supporting 2d and take UO into the next generation of the gaming genre it started that you folk who are such avid fans can make the same choice to deal with a client you don't like to experience a game you love, or at least give the new one a month of playtime as an earlier poster did (great post, btw!) to see if it'll grow on you before deactivation.

edit: Oh, btw, Just thought I'd mention that the FFXI client runs better on my PC on maximum graphics settings than even UO2d and is aesthetically leaps and bounds better. I can post some screenies, if anyone wants to see what can be displayed with the same hardware.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Subscribers have spoken. KR is a pig. You can put a ton of lipstick on a pig, it will still be a pig.

How much money has been wasted on "fixing" and maintaining the KR client which only 100 people use? 100 is from the number of people who have downloaded the latest skin. It is a time sink and a money sink that has and still is sapping limited resources from bug fixes and other development that could improve the game.

KR fanbois are holding back UO.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2D fanatics cannot simply understand that 3D graphics does not equal worse game-play, more bugs or more technical issues. And if the art is horrible, make a petition for changes. Don't like the demons in a hypothetical full 3D future client? Tell EA. Don't just squat in your corner and cry about progress killing UO... Drama much..?

EA can certainly make it so we can fully customize the interface to the point that it matches 2D in every detail, should they re-make the game bit by bit into full 3D. And it seems EA is willing to make any new graphics an OPTIONAL client. Again, drama..

....And they still have a problem. A small portion believes retro games are by default better than modern ones(in some cases correct but what would you expect?), but the largest portion by far are simply too pig-headed or refuse to upgrade their P1 + 512RAM, since we're talking pigs.

Put lip-stick on a pig and it's still a pig you say? Then since you wanna ride that pig, what do you mind the lip-stick on it, I mean if you're able to rub it off or choose the colour? Heh...

And why are you riding a pig? :p With that last bit I'm saying UO doesn't cut it any more anyway.. It lacks basic and fundamental game-play features!! Unless you're asking the pig-headed people I mention.
One last bit of information- 2D people, THEY ARE DOING IT YOUR WAY, UO is going back to the Stone Age, to attract more people who still play Pong, instead of aiming for the future. YOU WON. Stfu now?

R

Ravahan

Okay, I've updated KR, and with the info found here I've made it so I can run around without lag, though I have it in windowed mode with my black space like I like it. I'm currently setting up macros, which are... omfg... They're like macros should always have been to set up. Its so freaking intuitive. The chat log is an amazing addition, as I always left my journal up anyway but had trouble reading it... The stat info in your "character sheet" is incredibly helpful.... All around, this client rocks, and if this PC can run it there's no reason yours can't! This is something I peiced together when my last 6 year old POS got caught up in a power surge... and its a downgrade from that!

I'm still discovering stuff, and have yet to try out combat as I'm still setting up hotkeys and such.... but .... This rocks my proverbial socks, and only a little bit of it is beer goggles.

N

Ni-

How much money has been wasted on "fixing" and maintaining the KR client which only 100 people use? 100 is from the number of people who have downloaded the latest skin. It is a time sink and a money sink that has and still is sapping limited resources from bug fixes and other development that could improve the game.

KR fanbois are holding back UO.
KR has a whole lot more possibilities than the 2D client does. The Dev team has explicitly stated that. In other words KR/SA's ceiling is a whole lot higher than that of the 2Dclient. So does the Dev team take advantage of the KR/SA clients and add stuff to those client only and have the 2Der's cry about not getting to experience what the KR/SAer's get? I'd be fine with that. That won't likely happen, thus the KR/SA client will be held back because of the 2D clients' limitation because of the outlash of 2D players. In other words UO, and it's progression, is being held back by the 2D players. Which, I believe, was the original point of the original post, however brash it may have seemed.

I understand there are differences in artistic view, personal preference and computer capabilities. I'm not saying that 2Der's are wrong. I am just stating that 2Der's are holding UO's progression back. There's nothing wrong with the 2D client. It's just that there could be a whole lot more right with the KR/SA client, if implemented correctly.

Oh, it must be 101, because I only play KR right now(old comp died and haven't felt it necessary to install 2D on the new one yet). I just haven't bothered to DL any skins. The performance and features that KR alone offers me are more enough to outweigh 2D and KR's bugs/crashes. I like KR's mobility/speed(nice pathfinding, chars run around trees, not into them), 1 button casting(w/o a 3rd party program), 1 button looting(no click, drag, click, drop) and landscape graphics(personal preference).

S

Splup

If SA has inbuilt UO-Assist I will use it. If not, I'd better be able to do all the same stuff with it as with UOA. Especially target with my mousewheel.

I mean, we don't want totally new ways to do stuff. I'v been playing this game for almost 9 years, and most of ppl are used to use 2D+UOA. We don't want to feel like nubies, we want to play UO the way we are used to.

Give us better graphics, larger gamewindow size, but let us do the stuff like we are used to. UOA like.

I gave a try for KR, but it's unPvPable for a mage.

G

Gellor

It's just that there could be a whole lot more right with the KR/SA client, if implemented correctly.
And here is the absolute crux of the issue that "us" 2d people are arguing... "implemented correctly"... or even more to the point implementing what a VAST majority of the subscription base wants.

To date, OSI/EA/Mythic hasn't implemented what a vast majority of people want. They do a ten man study group(if they do that at all) and assume that less than a tenth of a percent is a sufficient to speak for what the players want.

I would love to see a new client with SIMPLE graphics in the current 3/4 iso perspective. I would love to see a new client that had a nice macro system and that integrated UOAssist functionality into it along with UOAutoMap.

To me, the biggest sell on UO is SIMPLE graphics. I couldn't care less if I can see shoelaces or the beads in my hair. That graphic fluff doesn't do anything to aid in playing the game. If I took up bank sitting as my UO profession, then I might actually care about having a visually busy client.

Unfortunately, what OSI/EA/Mythic has shown with EVERY attempted client is they want UO to look like WoW or some other visually busy game. Woopty doo, my hair moves while I run:sleep2:

Fortunately, the developers have seen the writing on the wall: they will lose WAY more people than they will gain if they try to force a client on us. And with UO current subscription, the lost people would probably put the final nail in UO's coffin.

In the end, what will happen is the same thing that happened with the 3d client. They will gut the good parts, shove those into the old 2d client, and let KR linger.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading some of these replies I am now convinced more than ever that the popularity of the 2d client is holding UO back.

Do a lot of you classic client players really want UO to stay where it is? UO is currently in park. UO needs something to bring in more subscriptions because I have a feeling that UO is very slowly losing subscribers every year, like a slow drain. EA cannot plug up this drain nor sit and watch it happen. It is called progress, and like I said earlier, fighting 10 years of human habit is difficult to overcome.

All the potential manpower that could be used 100% on improving KR cannot be used because the 2d client most be maintained as well. Why? Because you all have let EA know very well that you refuse change. Can't any of you see this paradox? You are the very reason why KR was not good. If you would have just given it a week or so, and setup some macros, and downloaded some mods, you would have seen the amazing potential this client has. But you didn't, and EA has seen this.

And this is why they have to "split" their time between clients. And what happens with that? Neither client gets the attention it deserves.

Can you blame EA for going 3d and trying to update their artwork? After all, they are trying to get more subscriptions to keep this 800 x 600 game you love so much alive.

Now, this is not about pixel crack and about making this game look like WoW. Anyone who prefers pixel crack would not even be talking about UO in the first place. But you can have the deep skill system and hard learning curve and all those great things that make UO special, and still have a non-archaic client based on the MMO clients of today. This does not make you a "sell out" or trying to copy WoW.

V

Vyal

The only thing to really do is have another group of people or a company make a 3D Ultima becuase no matter what EA can't do jack if you went out and made a Ultima game they could maybe buy it off you but thats about it.

The people who run this game couldn't program their way out of a tissue box let alone make a 3D ultima online.

It will never be anything more then what it is becuase there are no real programmers. I have talked to Supreem before and i'll tell ya I really don't think the guy is cut out for the job.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

That Iris2 thing looks awesome.

It isn't an upgrade if you can't do something that you could do in 2D with UOA. People aren't going to overlook the fact that theres no mouse wheel targeting just because the swamp in terra is shiny.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Adding to my point is that EA is keeping UO alive. And for that we should be happy.

Especially with games like Darkfall and Link Realms http://www.linkrealms.com (which is going to be amazing as far as freedom goes, and has a skill system like UO with zones that the players create!) now is the time EA has to do something.

V

Vyal

[YOUTUBE]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BXpnAs8Z9g4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BXpnAs8Z9g4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

[/YOUTUBE]

This was a game made by another company that was purchased and cancelled by EA Rofl.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was a game made by another company that was purchased and cancelled by EA Rofl.
How dare you call Origin "another company". lol

EA killed Bullfrog, Westwood Studios (would have been the next Blizzard), Origin and NFL football.

I still ask myself why I give them money.

G

Gellor

After reading some of these replies I am now convinced more than ever that the popularity of the 2d client is holding UO back.
Donjn, you are failing to comprehend what all the "pro" 2d client people are telling you. That or you just don't want to accept the reality of it:
EA is producing CR^P for new clients.

There is the bottom line. People are given the choice of using an old 2d client that has known flaws or the new client that is visually unappealing to them that has too many flaws.

UO needs something to bring in more subscriptions because I have a feeling that UO is very slowly losing subscribers every year, like a slow drain.
And that is EA's fault and nobody elses. They haven't put a boxed edition out in 2 years now? Yup, that is clearly the fault of those "pro" 2d client people.

How about a magazine ad? How about a magazine review? A tv ad?

If they don't do ANY advertising outside of word of mouth, how do you expect them to get any new subscriptions?

Even with this "new" great abortion called KR, they haven't done a single lick of advertising. That is obviously the fault of the "pro" 2d client people too.

Again, let me spell it out again: EA knows they will lose more people than they will gain if they try to force a garbage client onto people. They "threatened" it with the old 3d client and the players told them otherwise.

How can everyone tell EA has NO confidence in this new client? Purely by the fact they haven't canceled the 2d client, put a boxed set out featuring it, or done any type of advertising outside of UO specific websites.

It is called progress, and like I said earlier, fighting 10 years of human habit is difficult to overcome.
I would contend that it is called producing quality. If they produced something that was quality, there would be less resistance to using it. But as it is, we have the old working decent client or the new garbage client.

They are forced to "split" time because of the new garbage clients they put out. People would rather use what works than something that doesn't.

Now, in case you've missed an ongoing phrase with regards to the new client, let me put it on a separate line for you:
GARBAGE CLIENT

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Donjn, you are failing to comprehend what all the "pro" 2d client people are telling you. That or you just don't want to accept the reality of it: EA is producing CR^P for new clients.
Don't use that tone with words like "comprehend" with me. It is insulting.

There is the bottom line. People are given the choice of using an old 2d client that has known flaws or the new client that is visually unappealing to them that has too many flaws.
"visually unappealing" is too subjective. Throw this out. "visually unappealing" is also an excuse 2d client fans use for 10 years of looking at the same thing, day after day.

And that is EA's fault and nobody elses. They haven't put a boxed edition out in 2 years now? Yup, that is clearly the fault of those "pro" 2d client people.
As I have explained many times EA is caught between a rock and a hard place. They need to keep the ship moving with new subscriptions but they also know that nomatter what they do, there is such a loyal cult following to the 2d client that will reject anything new.. So they play it in the middle. Release a new client but dont spend much advertising.

If they don't do ANY advertising outside of word of mouth, how do you expect them to get any new subscriptions?
And if they dropped 2d client support all together, maybe they could justify the cost of the advertising the new client and making improvements..

Again, let me spell it out again: EA knows they will lose more people than they will gain if they try to force a garbage client onto people. They "threatened" it with the old 3d client and the players told them otherwise.
Again, "garbage" is subjective, and listen up here....if they didn't spend so many resources keeping this 2d client dinosaur alive maybe they could make that new client that is not so garbage, huh? Whatcha think?

How can everyone tell EA has NO confidence in this new client? Purely by the fact they haven't canceled the 2d client, put a boxed set out featuring it, or done any type of advertising outside of UO specific websites.
They haven't canceled the 2d client because none of you gave KR a fair shot. And because of that, they had to spend more resources keeping 2d alive and less time improving KR.....arghhh. you know what? Forget it. I can't believe you cannot grasp this concept..

I would contend that it is called producing quality. If they produced something that was quality, there would be less resistance to using it. But as it is, we have the old working decent client or the new garbage client.
There is that word again "garbage". You know, if we are going to have an intelligent discussion, perhaps your criticism should be more detailed.

They are forced to "split" time because of the new garbage clients they put out. People would rather use what works than something that doesn't.
"Garbage" again? WTF?

Now, in case you've missed an ongoing phrase with regards to the new client, let me put it on a separate line for you:
GARBAGE CLIENT
Thanks for proving my point.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want everyone to re-read MissEcho's post above. In almost 20 years of my BBS and internet board reading and posting, no one has come close to a more well thought out post, using reflective listening to its best, as MissEcho has.

That post is pretty much the truth.

Any further rebuttals need to be directed there, because it pretty much says it all.

Kudos MissEcho

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
In all honesty, I have tried both KR and 2D and plan to stick with 2D until they have a client that resembles either the current Darkfall Client or a Client similar to that.

Why?

KR distorts items out of proportion. Some of the art is great, other art looks like it was put together in an "Oh **** we need to get this done" moment.

I decorate in UO. First time I tried KR, my castle looked like a tornado destroyed it. Not a thing a decorator wants to see. Second time I tried KR, it kept crashing.

Simple fact: KR is buggy. It is not true 3D either. Characters look funny in KR. Text looks funny. Yes, there is a legacy client, but if the 2D client runs better and smoother than KR, why bother using something that is slow and laggy compared to something that is tried and true?

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Adding to my point is that EA is keeping UO alive. And for that we should be happy.

Especially with games like Darkfall and Link Realms http://www.linkrealms.com (which is going to be amazing as far as freedom goes, and has a skill system like UO with zones that the players create!) now is the time EA has to do something.
Now why did you have to go and post that linkrealms link? Now I'm interested in that. dang!
First 10 seconds, I thought it was a mage in UO making a moongate and sending the party through. First 10 seconds. I'm impressed!!

If UO5 looked like that, would anyone play? (UO5 is the one after SA)

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In all honesty, I have tried both KR and 2D and plan to stick with 2D until they have a client that resembles either the current Darkfall Client or a Client similar to that.

Why?

KR distorts items out of proportion. Some of the art is great, other art looks like it was put together in an "Oh **** we need to get this done" moment.

I decorate in UO. First time I tried KR, my castle looked like a tornado destroyed it. Not a thing a decorator wants to see. Second time I tried KR, it kept crashing.

Simple fact: KR is buggy. It is not true 3D either. Characters look funny in KR. Text looks funny. Yes, there is a legacy client, but if the 2D client runs better and smoother than KR, why bother using something that is slow and laggy compared to something that is tried and true?
Decorating in KR can be tricky, I will give you that. But I am not sure KR is any more buggy than 2d is right now. There are been many patches.

But I have the exact opposite feelings on smoothness. To me, the 2d animations are now jerky after playing KR. I just can't go back. And I am not sure where you get slow from. I can destroy anyone in a horse race under KR. It's not even close.

Maybe none of you have seen this thread on Optimizing KR Performance:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=122985

Let me tell you, KR is as smooth as butter with these tweaks. And no, I dont want to hear anyone saying "you shouldn't have to do those tweaks" because you also should not have to use UOAssist for 2d either.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now why did you have to go and post that linkrealms link? Now I'm interested in that. dang!
First 10 seconds, I thought it was a mage in UO making a moongate and sending the party through. First 10 seconds. I'm impressed!!

If UO5 looked like that, would anyone play? (UO5 is the one after SA)
Link Realms is THE GAME I have been looking for all of my life:

Isometric? Check.
No one under 18 can PLAY THE GAME? Check.
Skill Based with hundreds of skills? Check.
No classes? Check.
Create your own zones using a world editor!!! Check.
Best Animations I have ever seen? Check.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Link Realms is THE GAME I have been looking for all of my life:

Isometric? Check.
No one under 18 can PLAY THE GAME? Check.
Skill Based with hundreds of skills? Check.
No classes? Check.
Create your own zones using a world editor!!! Check.
Best Animations I have ever seen? Check.
It would be cool if UO evolved into THAT client!
*speachless*

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wah this wah that.
You're all such a bunch of whiiners.
The reason why people never will accept UOKR UOWHATER is because razor/easyuo only support UO2D.

The community needs to accept the UOKR/SA client, so we finally can get rid of the scripters etc etc.
It might take awhile for the DEV's to get a good client out of UOKR, but it for sure dosen't give them time to focus on developing a new client, when they have to keep the old one alive also.

Excuses like.
My house looks crap in UOKR.
My dog dosen't walk right in UOKR
My <insert lame excuse here>

Cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it.
Start supporting a new cheat-less-client, for the better of UO.
There has been cheating/scripting/duping going on in uo for years, so why not wait 1 year for a cool client. I mean ffs we have waited 10 years so far, it's pathetic.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me tell you, KR is as smooth as butter with these tweaks. And no, I dont want to hear anyone saying "you shouldn't have to do those tweaks" because you also should not have to use UOAssist for 2d either.
Okay, so you have a large number of players who don't know about those tweaks because they don't read forums.

And there are many folks out there that don't use UOAssist. Heck. I only use it for a few certain things that -should- have been build into the 2D client. And even then one of my accounts doesn't have UOA at all and I play just fine.

So making the analogy you made above about not having to make tweaks because you should not have to use UOA for 2D is wrong. I don't have to use UOA for 2D. No one has to. They choose to to make the game easier to play so they don't get carpal tunnel, so they can have more hotkeys...whatever.

Tweaks to make the game run smoother and without as many glitches is unacceptable, because in order to play KR, you have to have it. You don't HAVE to have UOA to play 2D. Many of us play just fine without it.

N

Ni-

Wow, Miss Echo, I hadn't read your post before mine. That is exactly what I was trying to say. You, however, did it so much more eloquently.

To those who don't think that 2D is holding UO back... 2D is holding UO back because the Devs aren't able to implement things into the game because 2D cannot handle them. The Devs can only do so much with the 2D client, where-as, they would have the ability to do so much more with the KR/SA/Gamebryo(sp?) client.

Again, I am not trying to say it is wrong to like 2D or to not like KR. I am just stating that UO's progress is being hindered by the 2D client's restrictions.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had high hopes for -every- 3D client that UO has produced. None of them are held up to my standards of acceptable look or play.

If UO came out with a good 3D engine that prevented scripters and such, I'd be all for it.

For those of you blaming 2D for all the scripters, let me just say that 2D isn't the only way scripting can be done.

N

Ni-

Tweaks to make the game run smoother and without as many glitches is unacceptable, because in order to play KR, you have to have it. You don't HAVE to have UOA to play 2D. Many of us play just fine without it.
I never liked needing UOA. I tried UOA, I didn't like the hassle of it. I think I only got it so that it could help link with UOAM. In KR I can do alot more that I ever did with UOA. The best part about is that I didn't have to spend extra money on KR like UOA required. Infact, I had to pay for the original 2D clients, but KR was free.

When my old computer died, I DLed KR and jumped right in. After patching, of course. I currently run KR w/o any tweaks/skins/mods and for me, it outperforms 2D.

I'm not saying KR is perfect, because it's not. I just prefer it over 2D. I really hope SA can bring both sides togather into one client. That would allow UO to progress further than with 2 clients or 2D alone.

U

uomlplayer

To those who don't think that 2D is holding UO back... 2D is holding UO back because the Devs aren't able to implement things into the game because 2D cannot handle them. The Devs can only do so much with the 2D client, where-as, they would have the ability to do so much more with the KR/SA/Gamebryo(sp?) client
Again, I am not trying to say it is wrong to like 2D or to not like KR. I am just stating that UO's progress is being hindered by the 2D client's restrictions.[/QUOTE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What it come's down to is, Are they making enough money from 2D players to keep the 2D client around,Same goes for KR.
So to say that 2D is holding game progression back is absurd,If EA/OSI ever thought 2D is not worth it, Or if KR is not worth it ,The cleint will be scrapped(remeber 3D? not KR).

In conclusion its just a matter of preference as to which client one plays,Let EA/OSI decide which client to keep/scrap cause in the end we are not the one's making this decison.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, so you have a large number of players who don't know about those tweaks because they don't read forums.

And there are many folks out there that don't use UOAssist. Heck. I only use it for a few certain things that -should- have been build into the 2D client. And even then one of my accounts doesn't have UOA at all and I play just fine.

So making the analogy you made above about not having to make tweaks because you should not have to use UOA for 2D is wrong. I don't have to use UOA for 2D. No one has to. They choose to to make the game easier to play so they don't get carpal tunnel, so they can have more hotkeys...whatever.

Hey, someone complained about how jerky KR is, and I gave them info that fixes it. Just like UOAssist has options for some people with mouse issues, etc.

Some people dont have issues with either client, and like them as they are.

I never said that someone HAS TO USE UOAssist. I also never said people HAVE TO USE the KR tweaks.

You misunderstood my analogy.

So it still stands as correct.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My how the tides have turned. I have more supporters than I originally thought.

It's good to see some people open to change instead of running in place.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My how the tides have turned. I have more supporters than I originally thought.

It's good to see some people open to change instead of running in place.
I don't know why you thought you were alone.

KR has its supporters, always has. You know what else had its supporters? The Third Dawn client. They mostly came out of the woodwork after its death was announced, for some reason.

The issue, for me anyway, isn't that KR doesn't have its virtues, or its supporters. It's that, for some reason, you've convinced yourself that the only reason to NOT support KR is if you're irrationally resistant to change.

-Galen's player

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The issue, for me anyway, isn't that KR doesn't have its virtues, or its supporters. It's that, for some reason, you've convinced yourself that the only reason to NOT support KR is if you're irrationally resistant to change.
Yes this is how I feel.

I am not saying KR is great. It has issues trust me. But I dont think it got or is getting a fair shake especially after all the patches and performance tweaks. And based on what I have read in this thread I see a lot of people irrationally resistant to change....

O

OxAO

You "2D People" are holding UO back
i see it the other way around.

UO is a 2D game period. The attempt to create a 2D game into a 3D game was a costly mistake and they keep making the same mistake.

If they put that money into more game content we would have had a great deal more game for our money.

If you want 3D go play WoW. If EA wants to make an Ultima 3D game to compete with WoW fine go rebuild a new game from scratch but leave UO alone.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i see it the other way around.

UO is a 2D game period. The attempt to create a 2D game into a 3D game was a costly mistake and they keep making the same mistake.

If they put that money into more game content we would have had a great deal more game for our money.

If you want 3D go play WoW. If EA wants to make an Ultima 3D game to compete with WoW fine go rebuild a new game from scratch but leave UO alone.
Don't use the old "go play WoW" cliche please. My goodness...

And why do you people keep thinking KR is full 3D anyway?

N

Ni-

To those who don't think that 2D is holding UO back... 2D is holding UO back because the Devs aren't able to implement things into the game because 2D cannot handle them. The Devs can only do so much with the 2D client, where-as, they would have the ability to do so much more with the KR/SA/Gamebryo(sp?) client
Again, I am not trying to say it is wrong to like 2D or to not like KR. I am just stating that UO's progress is being hindered by the 2D client's restrictions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What it come's down to is, Are they making enough money from 2D players to keep the 2D client around,Same goes for KR.
So to say that 2D is holding game progression back is absurd,If EA/OSI ever thought 2D is not worth it, Or if KR is not worth it ,The cleint will be scrapped(remeber 3D? not KR).

In conclusion its just a matter of preference as to which client one plays,Let EA/OSI decide which client to keep/scrap cause in the end we are not the one's making this decison.[/QUOTE]

The Gamebryo(sp?) engine is capable of alot more things than the legacy client is capable of. In that sence, yes, 2D is holding the progression of UO back.

Subscribers are going to make their own game play decisions. EA is going to make their own business decisions. The UO Dev team is going to do what they can with what they have to work with, as long as it's ok with the EA big wigs.

None of that has any bearing on the capabilities of the Gamebryo engine compared to the capabilities of the legacy 2D client.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There, I said it.

I am getting tired of it. And I am not talking so much about the interface as I am the graphics. I just don't understand people. How can nostalgia be this powerful? Nostalgia is a great thing but at it's higher levels it gets in the way of progress. For most practical people, nostalgia lasts about 20 minutes. I used to do this. Every now and then I would get really excited and pop in Ultima III and after about 15 minutes I just can't do it. It makes me sad, because those are classics, but it is hard waiting for disks to load, etc.

Anytime something new comes out, people hate it. Windows 95, 98, XP, and now Vista. Now people think XP is great. They did not think that when it was first released. But at least enough of the populace gave it a fair shot and it eventually it held up. Yes I have Vista and it works fine.'

And yes I play Ultima Online KR 3D. Why? Because there are some seriously good macro options, the graphics don't look like they are from 10 years ago, I can play fullscreen on my widescreen monitor and have a very large playfield with windows to mix and match. Yes there are some bugs and there are some bugs in 2D as well. But anyone who tells me the artwork is better in 2D is delusional. Yes I know KR has it's bugs but my goodness, 2D runs in 800 x 600. I have a 22" monitor. There is no way I am going to squint my eyes to play this game. And fullscreen has stretching unless you want to enable scaling which screws up other games.

It is fear.

We all want to hold on to something familiar. It is a fatal flaw in the human spirit. Anything different and we panic.

It is you people, who may or may not own Pentium III 800 computers that are holding this game back.
2D is much better than KR, they should just drop KR completely and keep uo a 2D only game permanently .... many uo people are going to be playing darkfall soon anyway so its not that big of a deal, but ill still play uo, 2d only ! once a 2d game always a 2d game, stop trying to change it, too many 3d games out there

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Do a lot of you classic client players really want UO to stay where it is? UO is currently in park. UO needs something to bring in more subscriptions because I have a feeling that UO is very slowly losing subscribers every year, like a slow drain. EA cannot plug up this drain nor sit and watch it happen. It is called progress, and like I said earlier, fighting 10 years of human habit is difficult to overcome.

All the potential manpower that could be used 100% on improving KR cannot be used because the 2d client most be maintained as well. Why? Because you all have let EA know very well that you refuse change. Can't any of you see this paradox? You are the very reason why KR was not good. If you would have just given it a week or so, and setup some macros, and downloaded some mods, you would have seen the amazing potential this client has. But you didn't, and EA has seen this.

And this is why they have to "split" their time between clients. And what happens with that? Neither client gets the attention it deserves.

Can you blame EA for going 3d and trying to update their artwork? After all, they are trying to get more subscriptions to keep this 800 x 600 game you love so much alive.

Now, this is not about pixel crack and about making this game look like WoW. Anyone who prefers pixel crack would not even be talking about UO in the first place. But you can have the deep skill system and hard learning curve and all those great things that make UO special, and still have a non-archaic client based on the MMO clients of today. This does not make you a "sell out" or trying to copy WoW.

I've read every post up to this one, and I fail to see how you can be convinced that the popularity of 2D is holding UO back.

If anything is holding UO back, it is the total lack of any attempt at a client of similar quality to todays' competition - be that WoW, AoC, Guildwars, etc.
It doesn't matter whether the client offers line-of-sight view, 3rd-party movable camera, or top-down isometric; the graphics need to be rendered sharply, with clear delineation between objects, and must appeal to the current tastes of the mass-market.

Both the UO clients fail to meet these criteria:
2D is beautifully delineated, but I am happy to admit (as a lover of 2D), that the cartoon graphic style has minimal appeal to players bought-up on more modern games.
KR cannot be said, (even by its' most dedicated adherents), to be crisp and sharply rendered.
Tweaking 2D or KR will not make either client attractive to the bulk of modern gamers.
For UO to obtain an influx of new players, a completely new client is required; which would essentially mean a whole new game, which would lead to doubts as to whether people would quit 2D or KR for the new client.
I for one would NOT go; I have too much time and effort tied-up in UO to be prepared to walk away and start again.

I am certain that EA has the manpower available to write a new game if they so wanted, as has been done by Funcom: Anarchy Online has 8-year-old graphics, and it shows. Age of Conan, (although it is an appalling game), has graphics which have more appeal to the average modern gamer.
Funcom don't release subscription figures, but I'd be willing to bet that the "we've been playing eight years because we love this game" Anarchy people are outnumbered by the "we play this because it's new and shiny" AoC folk.

To address some of the other points you made:

"...set up some macros ..."

I cannot set-up macros that I have been used to using for many years. (I haven't logged-in KR for a while, so I may be out of date on this - but I'm sure you will point it out if I am.)
How do I....
1) Target Next = mousewheel up
2) Target Self = mousewheel down
3) Bandage pet 1 = single button press / Bandage pet 2 = single button press

"...and download some mods."

The fact that many people seem to require KR to be modded in order to play it shows how little research was done by EA prior to its' "release"
I applaud the efforts of those who have written mods for KR, but all their efforts do is to illustrate the fact that the client was not released in a form that was acceptable to / wanted by the playerbase.

Can you blame EA for going 3d and trying to update their artwork? After all, they are trying to get more subscriptions to keep this 800 x 600 game you love so much alive

This is where the policy fails.
You only get one chance at a first impression.

UO 2D was my first MMO, after moving-up from text-based DOS MUDS. I was blown-away by the fact that I could SEE my little cartoon person moving around, rather than reading "You run north."
I then tried Anarchy - the improvement in graphics was incredible; if I had played this first, I would have laughed at UO2D and probably not gone further than looking over someones' shoulder as they played.
I now occasionally play Guildwars with the kids. The visuals are an order of magnitude better than anything that UO can offer.
If I was a new player with some Guildwars experience, why on earth would I be attracted to UO? I know all the arguments about the depth of gameplay, and the immersive nature of UO - after all, I still play - but I can imagine myself as a GW/AoC player looking at any version of UO for the first time: My first impression would be "what is this?, a 1990s' game"

Anyone who prefers pixel crack would not even be talking about UO in the first place. But you can have the deep skill system and hard learning curve and all those great things that make UO special, and still have a non-archaic client based on the MMO clients of today.

It's not about the skill system. It's not about the learning curve. It's about first impressions.
You start a character. You make a mage. You cast a spell....

Now, if you really think that image has more appeal to the modern gamer than...

... then we have nothing further to talk about.

I love UO, which is why I still play it after all these years, but I am realistic enough to accept that no matter how "modded", the KR client is never going to be a modern client.

Currently, UO will live, or die, according to its' merits as a niche game. Nothing short of a total rebuild will make it anything other than that.